Need recommendations for third-party scanning software

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
The scanning software which came with my multifunction printer worked great, but now that I'm on Windows 8, it's not compatible anymore, so I need something new.

I've been using Windows Fax and Scan as a stop-gap, but it doesn't do everything I want.

Specifically: It doesn't allow me to scan multi-page documents from my sheet-feeder into one file.

Ideally that file would be a PDF, but that's not even really essential. I wouldn't care if it was a super tall JPG, as long as the 50-page document I need to scan doesn't get turned into 50 separate files. That's a pita.

(Alternatively if anyone knows how to get Windows Fax and Scan to create multi-page files, that would also be sweet, but I can't find the option anywhere.)

Anyone have experience with any third-party scanning solutions? It's okay if it costs money. I'm not averse to shelling out for the softwares I needs.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    You have updated drivers, but not software? Odd. Which printer is it?
    Perhaps Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not the reader) could do this.

edit: Looks like it does. There's a demo video but I can't get to it at the moment. Also student/teacher pricing if you qualify.
    CBGHoosdum
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    Acrobat Standard edition should be capable of this. I have Acrobat Standard 9 on my Windows 7 machine and it can be set to prompt for additional pages to scan from the flatbed.

If the college you work for is accredited, you're eligible for the educational edition of XI Pro, priced at $119. There's also a trial download so you can make sure it does what you want before you plunk down the cash.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro.edu.html

This may also help in your publishing (so, tax deductible), since the typeset PDF might have better compatibility with third party print shops than a Word doc.

//edit: I just realized that Nick said almost exactly the same thing before I posted. Derp!
    CB
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Interesting. Does it also do good OCR?
  • I just tested a page using Acrobat 9's default Black and White scan setting. I chose a pretty crummy printout from my stack of tax documents, the Form 5498 Instructions page printed at about 8pt size. When I opened the saved PDF in Adobe Reader XI (just to make sure there was consistency with the embedded OCR layer) every piece of text I searched was immediately highlighted by the software, so I would say the OCR tests pretty well.
    CB
    That would be better than anything I was doing before. I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks guys!
  • I attached the OCR'd file in case you're interested. I think default is 200dpi, hence the grainy text.
    CB
    This is working great. Even 100 DPI is good enough.

I never used the OCR that the old software came with because it was terrible at its job, but Adobe seems to have it down. :)

Now to scan all the things I've been putting off scanning. :hiding:
    mertesnGHoosdum
  • I recently went on a scanning binge also. Now I have a huge stack of paper I've been putting off shredding.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

I recently went on a scanning binge also. Now I have a huge stack of paper I've been putting off shredding.

Burn it instead. More fun, less time, no electricity required.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Funny thing about fire.... it's pretty warm.
    midgaBasil