Changes on the horizon
We're overdue for a design iteration, and I want to take the maintenance overhead down several notches while bringing the engagement & style up a few. So, I'd like to change a few things about Icrontic:
- Eliminate the front page / forum separation
- Eliminate the sidebar (except in super-wide displays, maybe)
- Use 1 unified, responsive theme (we currently have 3: forum desktop, forum mobile, and WordPress)
- Publish articles as discussion OPs, with modified styling (also solves issue that articles are currently not searchable)
- Create some new ways to show featured content, what Icrontic is up to, & how to engage
- Make a modified dark theme the default
I'm also going to make NewBuddhist & intoDetroit structurally the same as Icrontic in the process. They will each still have their current flavor & style, but they'll be using the same overall layout.
Some things I don't want to change are basic design choices that I think are settled:
- Color palette
- Font choices
- Grid & general spacing
- Category structure
- Top navigation
I'm not much of a designer and I like the way most of that stuff has shaken out over the years.
When am I doing all this? I dunno. I've already started it but these projects are notorious for dragging out three times longer than I expect, so I feel like "hopefully this year" is about as optimistic as I'll get.