Windows 10 discussion

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian

I'm planning to download the tech preview tonight. Anyone else going to give it a go?

http://preview.windows.com/

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

I'll have it online soon in a Dev environment at work. Some VERY promising additions and retractions are being promised. And THAT is why I am not letting my (Mac-based) management try and push me to roll out Windows 8 to the enterprise. But, the devil is in the details...

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

MY BODY IS READY.

Formatting and installing tonight.

mertesnKwitko
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

Downloading right now!

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited October 2014

Interesting changes. I look forward to this.

Obvious question: What happened to to Windows 9?

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Apparently the skip to 10 was because of Win 95/98

Not sure if true, but interesting if so. Basically there's code out there in programs that would look for the version number and if 9 then win 95/98.

https://searchcode.com/?q=if(version,startswith("windows+9")&p=5

midgageorgeh

Thousands upon thousands of them.

midga
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Anyone updated yet? I just downloaded the iso and am in the process of creating a sys image/backup

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Ahh makes sense.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    Anyone updated yet? I just downloaded the iso and am in the process of creating a sys image/backup

I'm setting up a VM for now.

Initial thoughts:

• Setup looks exactly like Windows 8
    • The "new classic" start menu is great
    • There are updates already.
    • It feels pretty fast.

Initial verdict: This is what an updated Win8 should have been. In fact, aside from shedding the stigma that Win8 carries, I don't really see a reason for the major version change. Of course, this is without having dug in very far.

thumbsup

Welp, I've got no spare USB drives over 4gbs nor do I have any DVDs, ordered new usb sticks should get them friday in time for a weekend install

Evidently Microsoft has only revealed "10% of Windows 10". Even if they're at 90% right now, I'm already happy.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Anybody dual boot 8 & 10, or should I just VM it?

Anybody dual boot 8 & 10, or should I just VM it?

VM, then replace Win8

• I'm planning on booting it from a USB 3.0 7200 RPM hard drive that I have. I use this when I want to dual boot independent of my system drives. I find it performs a bit better than VM. I use it to play around with non LTR Linux distributions. I'll be slapping Windows 10 on it posthaste.

Reformatted and jumped straight into Win10. Now my full-time daily driver.

edited October 2014

First caveat: if you have Windows Media Center installed on 8/8.1 apparently Win10 will remove it. So far I haven't seen any way to put WMC on Win10.

...anyone know of other software that will work with a CableCard tuner (using non-clearQAM channels)?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Upgraded my home machine. After initial fears of driver issue with video, running windows updates again and manually adjusting resolution up fixed it. Liking it so far.

• Welp, if it has truly fixed my major qualms with 8, and done a decent job of ripping off my favorite Linux desktop features (virtual workstations, first and foremost) it might actually be time to upgrade my Windows box.... now I just need to find out if they're going to do any launch events nearby and give away free copies like they did with Windows 7.

First caveat: if you have Windows Media Center installed on 8/8.1 apparently Win10 will remove it. Guess it only matters if you got the free WMC promo or paid the add-on fee.

edited October 2014

Anyone get stuck at "Setting up 78%"?

EDIT: Finally got to 79%

• If you're going to test it in VirtualBox, make sure you choose Windows 8.1 when creating your VM. If you choose Other Windows, the ISO won't boot (or at least wouldn't for me).

_kmertesnSonorous

I full on just updated, backed up my files that were on C: (all of like 30 files) and updated.

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

Our primary computer remains Windows 7. However, I just formatted Windows 8 on my laptop and went full on to Windows 10. Very happy with this direction. Windows 8 annoyed me to no end... and I was only running it for the last two weeks. Yes, there were tweaks and 3rd party apps. However, I think it should feel good out of the box. Windows 10 fits that bill.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

Installed the Preview in Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 desktop with no touch screen this morning. The new/old menu looks good, but I haven't found how to show complete Windows 8 tiles. I don't know if that is gone or maybe automatically shows up if a touch screen is detected. Also don't have sound, but that's probably because I am new to Hyper-V and missed something in the setup. Anyway, looks good so far. If I use it in place of Windows 7 for most regular Internet access during the preview period, it will be a pretty good test.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Jumped right in and installed on main rig. Seen a few new features that look cool but nothing I have come across in my standard usage has changed. The fact that store apps can now be re-sized and moved around the desktop is awesome. Will definitely get me to try more apps. Also the ability to snap 4 windows will come quite in handy.

-Digi

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users. Nice :)

mertesnZanthianMAGICRahnalH102
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

That's pretty good.