Bottom of the barrel gaming laptop?

13»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

GPU ships tomorrow and should be there on Monday. :) MAaaaaybe Saturday.

Hero
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited October 2014

sweet! if i do get everything by Saturday, i should have the whole thing up and running for Sundays raid! wouldnt that be awesome?

Im so excited, it feels like when your a kid and christmas is just a few days away

ooh, i just noticed that that GPU has HDMI port...i can hook it up to my TV! this is gonna be epic

midga

I did not order any extra cooling for the build. should i do that, or will the stock cooling fan do the trick?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

As long as you're not overclocking, the stock CPU cooler will be fine. The biggest benefit (again, without overclocking) is reduced noise under load depending on the aftermarket cooler's fan.

Hero
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@mertesn‌ has it right. If you do end up wanting to go with something, I highly recommend a CM Hyper 212 (whatever the current model is). Thing performs with a few degrees of stuff 4-5x as expensive. Pair it with a quieter fan (you'd have to google that) and it would be gold. Keep in mind, seeking a quiet computer can get laughably expensive pretty quickly ;)

Hero

pssh im good then...thanks

• We are debating about the trim and the fridge on mumble. I'm not sure you need that much trim for the computer, and when you build that close to the fridge you can't open the door.

HeroRyanFodder

that fridge is a second fridge for when there are 10 people staying in that building...its a kind of worker lodging trailer that i am living in while im in texas. the fridge that i do use is stocked with beer with the door unblocked, right next to my chair, on the left hand side of that table...so i dont need to AFK to grab a Shiner. Winning!

as for the trim...it is cedar trim so it will keep moths away. i dont want bugs in my computer!

edited October 2014

NOTE: some of you cough @Thrax @primesuspect may be happy to hear that i will be getting a headset for mumble pretty soon, courtesy of @smiley.

primesuspectRyanFodder
    edited October 2014

ok, i am trying to get a jump on my build so im ready to go when i have all the parts, and i think i may have a problem...where should the SATA HDD get its power from? directly from the power source right? i ask because i cant find a plug on my power source that will fit (what i assume is) the power "jack" on the drive. also i dont know how to identify the plugs i do have.

EDIT: Resolved, used my phone a friend lifeline on this one.

midga

k, ive spent all morning on this...

Solve a problem with your hard disk controller

Your hard disk controller has stopped working properly because a compatible driver isn't available for this version of Windows.

i cant find any solutions. apparently it is a marvell controller, but i cant verify that, and the marvell site appears to be just a sales site for their products. couldnt get any support other than a useless app that does nothing but notify me of the above issue.

Anybody have any ideas? this seems to be the last issue im having with setting up my computer

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2014

The drivers for that are on the msi cd that should have been in the motherboard box

Hero
    edited November 2014

Also, you should have the hard drive connected to the intel ports. Let me look up a picture of the board

Hero

If you are looking down at the top of the board with the cpu socket on your right, you should have the main HDD connected to one of the 2 "right" white ports.

Hero

oh...that explains it...i had it on the left for wire management purposes. thanks

so i just install all of the drivers on that disk? or should i pick and choose?

You should install most of them. Chipset drivers, network drivers, sound drivers for sure.

cool. everything is running much better now...no errors, and wow is running like a champ on ultra

:) welcome to raiding, buddy.

thx @thrax, i just wish there was a raid tonight.

so everything is awesome ( @celsh ) except that when i start my computer it occasionally wont load windows. it stops after the MSI screen. this could be related to the issue where the BIOS doesnt recognize a hard drive everytime. any ideas?

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

My computer also does this. Not sure why, but I figured it had something to do with windows installed on a SSD.

I just restart it, it works the 2nd time almost every time.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

On the second time, 80% of the time, it works. Every time.

midga

Updated the bios?

how do i do that @thrax?

I never ran that board so I don't know for sure, but there us probably an updater built into the bios. Go to msi.com and download the latest onto a USB stick. Insert the usb stick and then reboot into the bios and select the update.

Hero

Thanks for all your help guys, ill be sure to upload pics of the full setup soon

midga