The Big E3 2015 Announcement Thread

2»

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Dem new Radeons. R9 Nano to slot in as a R9 285 replacement?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    They showed almost nothing for the WiiU which tells me that they're done with the platform. We'll see core Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games on NX, most likely this fall or at E32016.

Apparently I didn't read the liveblog closely enough. I'll concede on most of it.

I disagree on the Wii U being done. They showed StarFox, which I'd say is a major (if until recently, neglected) franchise. The Zelda game was delayed, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't release it for the Wii U. At the very least they'd likely do another "Twilight Princes" type of release where it comes out for both the current and new platforms.

Of course they still haven't said what "NX" is...I'm hoping (unrealistically) that it's actually a software layer that allows their Wii/Wii U titles to officially run on a PC.

...speaking of which, somebody tell Microsoft that the "we're emulating but not calling it emulating" backwards compatibility software could make a killing on the PC.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    They showed almost nothing for the WiiU which tells me that they're done with the platform. We'll see core Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games on NX, most likely this fall or at E32016.

They said they will talk about NX in 2016

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Not sure if I'd be more upset if the NX was a handheld or a console.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Good thing I skipped the Wii U platform generation.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited June 2015

Miyamoto confirmed that the WiiU Zelda is still coming for WiiU. They didn't show anything for it because it's still a ways off, and according to Miyamoto "[For E3] we always focus on what's coming out in the immediate future." I guess we can interpret "near future" as "between this E3 and the next one" from the dates and estimations they showed.

Most of what Nintendo showed was stuff most people already knew about due to their regular Nintendo Directs. That's why this show was a bit underwhelming. For me at least.

12 total games + 1 tie in. 6 for WiiU, 6 For 3DS. Only 4 (AC Amiibo Festival, Metroid Prime Federation Force, LoZ: Triforce thingie, Mario & Luigi Paper Jam) were actually new announcements.

I consider Mario Maker to be a "real" Mario game. Just because the levels are designed by anyone who owns the game, doesn't mean it's any less a 2D-Sidescrolling Mario. Sure there will be some obnoxious and stupid levels "designed" by players, and that's true for most anything that the consumer's are allowed to work with (Happy Wheels, LittleBig Planet series, Minecraft, Elderscrolls mods, the list goes on). As long as Nintendo puts in some efficient system that promotes the well designed levels, then it should be plenty of fun for a long period of time.

Fallout 4's presentation was my personal favorite. Nothing else came close.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

My guess is that NX will be a handheld that can also hook up to a TV. A handheld with a dock or a basestation. Think of the Wii U Gamepad but in reverse, where the brains and guts are in the gamepad and the "dumb" part is the docking station. The numbers don't lie: 3DS is their cash cow, WiiU is mostly a flop. The future for Nintendo is in mobile.

edited June 2015

The WiiU could be the base station.

Basically we're saying the focus will be on a mobile console and you may get some features from linking up with a home console. At least an HDMI dock, and probably access to wiimotes where apropos.

By the time the NX comes out it will have a superior CPU/GPU to the WiiU even in a handheld form factor.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I just got around to watching the AMD keynote. Why are we not talking about the R9 Fury, Nano and Fiji line? These will be on the prize table right, @Thrax? Two times the performance per watt over the 290x in something half the size is simply mind boggling. (I'm aware that does not mean two times the performance overall.)

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Dat HBM. Radeon didn't pull any punches today. I LOVE the form factor of the Fury X.

@UPSLynx said:
    Dat HBM. Radeon didn't pull any punches today. I LOVE the form factor of the Fury X.

I do have one question: Are places like EK going to produce water blocks for the Fury X? I want one (or two) but I'd really rather use my existing loop.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Yes.

mertesnThrax
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Thrax how are the linux drivers for these new cards? The 390 is looking sexy but that is kind of a sticking point for me.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

No idea. I don't follow Linux at all.

• How did you lulz your own post? Teach me.

@PirateNinja said:
    How did you lulz your own post? Teach me.

I think that after you post and refresh the page you can.

GargRahnalH102

I'm interested to know how much effort Linux drivers are typically given before the release of new product, or if Linux dev is completely on hold until Windows drivers meet requirements. While it's sort of like hoping for the Year of Linux™, I hope that one day Linux performance is part of the talking points for GPU marketing. Maybe if SteamOS keeps making progress.

@Gargoyle said:
    I think that after you post and refresh the page you can.

@Linc that should put at least -10 to your totals...

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    I'm interested to know how much effort Linux drivers are typically given before the release of new product, or if Linux dev is completely on hold until Windows drivers meet requirements. While it's sort of like hoping for the Year of Linux™, I hope that one day Linux performance is part of the talking points for GPU marketing. Maybe if SteamOS keeps making progress.

I'm curious if I am the only one who thinks that Windows 10 being released as "free" will effect the number of Linux users. While I'm sure it's not a whole lot, or the intention of MS, I would love to see data on this. If that's the case it may slow driver deployment if the trend continues in that direction.

@Sonorous said:
    I'm curious if I am the only one who thinks that Windows 10 being released as "free" will effect the number of Linux users. While I'm sure it's not a whole lot, or the intention of MS, I would love to see data on this. If that's the case it may slow driver deployment if the trend continues in that direction.

I don't think it'll affect anything other than the Windows 10 adoption rate. Linux users are a pretty diehard bunch. You can pry those penguins from their cold, dead hands. Maybe.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

I'm super excited for Mario Maker. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted to design my own Mario levels. I know there's hacking editors like Lunar Magic, but they're a bit cumbersome and very technical to use fully. Having an editor designed from the ground up by Nintendo themselves (and hopefully with a powerful yet easy interface) gives me a rock-hard nerd boner. The fact it's designed to make Mario Bros 1, 3, AND Mario World style levels is icing on the cake.

Metroid Federation Force is a PR nightmare. It's no secret that it has a mountain of hate. The logo looks kiddy and similar to the Skylanders logo, and while the brightly colored visors on the soldiers helps identify who is who, it looks very silly. It dilutes the grim and serious Metroid name, and with the last Metroid game being "Other M", it didn't need more shit.

Star Fox Zero looks fun as hell. They're (finally) going back to their Star Fox 64 days. Barrel rolls and space furries as far as the eye can see. <3

I honestly don't think the Wii U is dead. It's a good system and the graphics are good enough. Nintendo has always kept quiet on their breadwinners until they have plenty of polish to show, so no Zelda U isn't off-putting to me.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

XBox backward compatibility trip report (I am a preview member):

I only loaded one of my games (one of the free Games With Gold offerings), so the test is pretty limited, but.

It was just as perfectly seamless as I could have asked for. 3 games showed up in my "ready to install" sidebar and I chose Toy Soldiers: Cold War, since it was the one that was selected when I hit it. The game installed just like any other digital release and showed up in the games list with all the others, with a nifty edge graphic to indicate it's a 360 title.

Gameplay was indistinguishable from the 360 downstairs and it loaded and exited just like a native game.

Keep in mind that this is a pretty stellar technological feat. The processor in the 360 is an IBM Power5 RISC (this was big-iron/heavy-lifting hardware when it was released), and emulating it in an x86 is no small task.

I look forward to getting more games in, particularly Forza 4 (and possibly 3).

BandrikGarg
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven It's good to know that it works well because I was planning to upgrade to the One but was worried about my old 360 games. I know it's limited right now (with new ones being added down the road), but at least it's going to work.