Rocket League

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Those poor bastards. #rekt

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

This whole series is great. I would highly recommend watching this one though, as it covers a lot of the things that are not highly skill capped like aerials.

1) Boost management
    2) Dodging to move across the map
    3) Dodging to improve accuracy

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

Had fun! Realized I suck more than I thought. Gonna watch some videos, practice, and hope to play again soon. :)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Play tutorials!

Also, I thought you did a great job of keeping up with us :)

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

Thanks! I'll check out the tutorials. :)

edited August 2015

https://gfycat.com/ThirdDeadHart

not mine, just awesome

If that had been me, and the goalie had blocked my shot, my controller would be buried in the wall.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

The game seems simple enough but some of the shit people pull off is ridiculous.

RyanFodderThrax

I love the learning curve in this game.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2015

You can be a really good player without leaving the ground. If you can consistently clear/block/shoot accurately you're better than 90% of other players, but the 10% that can also fly up and accurately knock a floater down in or near the goal are the folks that win the matches.

I am in the shitty in between phase. I can get up and aerial the ball, but where it goes is typically not ideal, and the time I spend in the air is time I could have spent positioning for a clear/shot. I want to be that clutch flier, but not there just yet.

I feel the same way. My aerials are getting better, but I like playing with Thrax as I trust him to get the aerials.

The goalie training is pretty spot on to get better at flying. I'm super happy when I get 50%.

To get my brain trained at flying, I spend time just flying around in free mode. The goal is to train my hands to do what is needed so all I think about is where to go. Flying in laps is fun.

edited August 2015

I reached this zen moment with aerials last week, where I suddenly became capable of hitting >50% of the ones I try for. I now have a pretty solid chance of clearing the ball into the offensive zone, or judging the angle to bring home the goal.

My brain still breaks when it's a high bouncer in front of the net, but I'm practicing my VTOL skills from a cold stop to start poking those away from the net with the nose of my car.

I also need to get better at the gentle aerial, where I contact the ball flatly with the undercarriage of my vehicle. Most of my aerials are still on the front bumper, which can get the ball moving far too quickly for its own good.

As the wise Pandarens once said: "you must slow down." I try to keep that in mind, and judge if I should aerial vs. whether I could aerial. I also turbo a lot less than I ever have.

RyanFodder

My recent problem with aerials is that by the time I come up with a solution, and I fly to the ball, the ball has come down in normal strike range.

Really have to be in the right spot / distance fire aerials.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2015

Upgrade your processor to compute angle of attack faster.

CBRyanFodder

Hmm. I can overclock it with some caffeine. I just really don't want to get to the liquid cooling requirement.

pigflipper

BlackHawkTushonMAGIC

Yes. This is why I turned it off. NICE PASS whenever you turnover to a goal, I rage.

ChoochMAGIC
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Dem Corkscrews Doh!

-Digi

Holy crap that's pretty.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2015

When the dream becomes real! https://gfycat.com/ViciousIllinformedIndusriverdolphin

credit for making the gfycat for me: @Thrax

RyanFodder

THE DREAM.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

RyanFoddertrooster89

Wow, that was pretty.

edited September 2015

This is a 2 hour video where a guy takes on some 1v1 opponents and explains everything he is doing with a live analysis.

twitch.tv/markydooda/v/17864682

He does some skill explanations as well. But watching him play and talk through his games is really helpful.

When to get boost, positioning, ball control, and lots of thoughts on when to push and handle the game in general.

I really want to see him do this for a 3v3 match now, or doubles.

edited October 2015

And Gibbs (top 10 player) is doing a youtube series on why he does what he does: