What is Icrontic?

ginipigginipig OH, NOES
edited January 2004 in Community
I've seen it mentioned a few times on most of the threads I've read. I thought, 'maybe it was the name of the older Short-media.' Turns out it was another site? I read that they were hit by massive waves of virii or something, but other than that, nada.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Icrontic is basically what this once was.

There's a new Icrontic now, owned by some of the old members, but by in large all the members of Icrontic are here.

Basically what happened was:

Icrontic got hacked, BIG time.. The owner of the site, which was always an immature screw-loose, had been telling MediaMan and Celcho to back up the wrong databases the entire time they were in the administrative position.

The end result was: Icrontic got hacked, there was nothing left.

The domain got put on ebay, and sold for several thousand dollars.

Shorty, Primesuspect, and MediaMan collaborated to bring S-M as its successor.
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited January 2004
    Ah, hence the name.

Kinda sucked, though. How long ago did this happen?

edit: /ignore My guess is, some of the old members got it up and running again?

[edit: nm, read your entire post]
    edited January 2004
    If I recall rightly, it happened mid-May.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Mortin wasn't ALWAYS a "Screw-loose". He did some really good articles and was generally a good guy, but in the end he just lost interest in Icrontic and left it to waste away.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2004
    Yea, he kind of put Icrontic on the back burner and let others take care of the site, it just died away for him.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    still love the ghetto hardware articles.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Also important to note that once IC fell, we began to congregate in the Folding Forum over at AMDmb.com until this place was ready (I'm sure the admins' blood pressures will rise just remembering those two weeks, trying to put together an entire site in zero time ;) ) in the thread BuiesCreek made for us: http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228549 ginipig, you are a member of the most resilient folding team on the net :cool:
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    Mortin wasn't ALWAYS a "Screw-loose". He did some really good articles and was generally a good guy, but in the end he just lost interest in Icrontic and left it to waste away.

I agree, people give Mortin a lot of **** and thats really not fair. It did seem that he lost interest in the site towards the end, but he did put a lot of work into it. I understand he got under some people's skin, but he was generally a pretty good guy.
  • edited January 2004
    I understand all that myself, I've picked it up from what I've read except about the owner but what I want to know is...who was Bart Williams and what happened to him?
    I understand he's passed away but since I'm kinda new myself and never hung at Icrontic I never knew him so I've always wondered what happened to him and a bit about who he was.
    If anyone will enlighten me I'd really appreaciate it.
    edited January 2004
    Bart Williams was one of our senior members.

He kind of got on a few people's nerves shortly before he passed, because he did nothing but post news articles about various conspiracies, facts of America vs. the Taliban, etc.

He was syndicating almost every single FNN and CNN article to us. Heh.

But then one day it all stopped.. We were all curious, everyone needs a break now and again you know? Then we got word from whom I believe was his son, that he had died only a few days after we began to notice that he was no longer posting.

The sudden shock of actually losing a member was hard; so we attribute everyone's first 5000 points to Bart, and dedicated our first Clawhammer/Sledgehammer release thread to him.. He was really looking forward to those chips, and was the one who made Icrontic's longest thread ever about those very chips.

It goes on, but we miss him. It isn't quite the same without his paranoia.. And I mean that in a good way. Some things you just love to hate.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    It was quite a jolt to lose one of our most active members so suddenly. His nephew participated in the site at that time also.

To my knowledge, the server that SM is hosted on is currently named "bart."
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    That is correct. The server is named bart.
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited January 2004
    Madmat, Bart Williams was the kind of guy that seemed to find an argument, if not intentionally then in direct relation to the kind of answers that he posted. He and I were in the middle of a debate the night before he died of a heart attack. I've felt wierd about that ever since, and it has affected the way in which I go about debating with someone who has opposing views on topics that I feel strongly about.
    He had very strong feelings as well and alot of people clashed with him on a variety of topics. I think he rather enjoyed it. He is missed in the debate forums for his veracity, tenaciousness and his copious postings. I miss him too. He was ALWAYS there, ready with an opinion.
  • edited January 2004
    Well, other than his paranoid views he sounds like my kind of guy, I'm sorry I never got to meet him.
    It's hard losing a friend like that, I had a friend as a young man that I used to hang out with and we had a falling out, a couple of months later I went over to his house to patch things up with him and found out from his dad that he had been hit by a drunk driver while he was visiting his brother in Reno and had been killed.
    I've never forgiven myself for that and I never will, we last spoke on bad terms and I really liked the guy but I was the one dogging him for acting like a geek around my other friends...it's something I'll never forgive myself for and something I'll try to never repeat.
    Things happen so suddenly and we have no way of knowing when our or someone's we know number will roll around and when it happens out of the blue like that it's really a shock.
    I guess I'm trying to say just enjoy the people around you, you never know when they'll no longer be there.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2004
    Yea, bart was a one of a kind member, and a good man at that. He would always have some news posts up, always. We also have a ICx box named in honor of Bart.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, I remember some good feirce debating on how the second youngest girl in 7th heaven looked or didn't look like an Owl ;) It was great times, and always alot of fun. After he passed, I just didn't feel like debating anymore and all but stopped ever since, even with my own friends in person.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Bart was a great guy that loved his nephew very much. As much as he would have if he were his own son.

Long live Bart.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited January 2004
    I never really knew bart on a personal level althou his presence around icrontic was felt. he was one of the constants that existed on icrontic who was always there and always had something to say. I remember to this very day the first time i heard of his passing, i opened the forums and the first topic on the news list was "RIP Bart Williams" after reading the thread i was kinda in shock and didn't believe it but as time passed on and the thread grew longer and longer and there still wasn't any sign of bart i kind of accepted it. somehow the forums felt different like there was something missing.
    originally posted by mmonnin
    Long live Bart

Red - mick
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    It was about a year ago that he died, wasn't it?
    edited January 2004
    About that, yeah.

I wish we had our old DBs so we could really know when. :(
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited January 2004
    I think he passed away on January 18th, 19th or 20th.
    edited January 2004
    .. there's more to Short-media than just overclocking tips... :wow2:
    Creep introduced me to this site while we were fragging it up on a Counterstrike server. I came in expecting a long list of forgotten threads, and so on and so forth.

It's nice to be part of a team that has, dare I say it, a "rich history." :cheers:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Im my personal Opnion Icrontic started going downhill after the first hack. I remember the good ole Apus Hardware days and the upgrade to the "new " yet former IC. I think its worked out for the best. We have 2 friendly sites S-M and Icrontic now. I preferr S-M but thats just me!

Bart was a Opinionated SOB but you just had to love him for that! He was the residential Pharmacist ( if i remember corerectly) that spend all his free time on IC. he Never let the front page get stail. This one for you mate! :cheers:
    edited January 2004
    Mediaman: State of the Union address

Did they end up catching the hax0rs?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    not that i know of.
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited January 2004
    Icrontic was a lot cooler than this place is now.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    You are no way obligated to visit Short-Media in anyway. If you dont like it here you can choose not to visit this site.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    DOSMAN wrote:
    Icrontic was a lot cooler than this place is now.

Thats all good that you think that, BUT if you hate it so much why do you visit?
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited January 2004
    I guess you're right.

As DJ-Quack said:
    And a special message to people who bitch about short-media. Why are you posting there? You bitch and you bitch and you bitch, but why post there if it sucks? It's like going to China and bitching about Chinese people.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Let's not start this up guys...