MX1000 mouse the best for gaming?

2»

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited March 2005
    I suppose it all comes down to individual preferences.

Personally, I find my MX700 weighs too much for my liking. Considering I like to keep my arm stationary on the desk and just move my wrist & fingers while grasping the mouse during all FPS games, the MX700, MX1000 & MX510 just did not fit up to the task, as my hand is not large enough to comfortably fit over the MX510/700/1000 without having to move my wrist off the desk.

Precision-wise, to me the MX510/700/1000 series felt more precise than my IntelliMouse Explorer & IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, however again that is subjective and may not register with everyone. I like a very high sensitivity and demand a certain size & weight out of my mouse. After years of playing with an IE3, you get used to it and compensate for it. :)

I've returned 2 MX510's now and my MX1000. For gaming, I really can't say much more than to me and to those who like to hold the mouse the same way I do, that the IE3 has worked better for me than anything else, but YMMV.

The proof is in the pudding, since using that mouse, I ranked #3 out of 40 at the latest LANamania in a UT2K4 1-vs-1 (#1 & #2 were using IE3's as well), and ranked #1 out of 32 in the UT2K4 Free-For-All Gibfest (30 minute FFA), not to mention the deadly Magnum action many of you have seen first-hand in HL2 DM.

Again, YMMV & this is my honest opinion. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2005
    All I know is I used to use optical intellimouse but the wire always broke, eventually. I got an MX700 and would never go back. It's a superb mouse, fast enough and configurable for anything.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Rustynuts wrote:
    Well, I have no idea what you're talking about :scratch: My MX700 feels noticeably laggy, even with just normal movement around the desktop. Sniping, forget it. It's totally jumpy.

I had a similar issue with my wired MX500 at first. It turned out that my mousepad had a diffraction grating that was spaced just wrong for the wavelength of the light produced by the mouse's LED, so the mouse was very laggy and jumpy. I changed mousepads, and, voila! My mouse was everything I thought it should be. Try changing your mousepad. The one I had problems with was a 3M pad with the wrist rest on it and the textured surface.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Everything the aforementioned posters said. MX1000 > any other mouse.

Yep.

In fact, I was so impressed with this thing I went and bought a second for my Win98 box, it sure does help playing them older games.

And mine are black with a grey top.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I use a plain, cloth mousepad. The accuracy is stupendous.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2005
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Alot of gamers think wireless is horrible for gaming. What they don't realize is the MX700 is just as precise as the MX500/510, and as Thrax said, the MX1000 beats them all. I've been using the MX1000 for a couple months now. I absolutely love it, and I play a lot of twitch based games.

There can be upto a 2ms delay on wireless

and @ lans where theres over 24 users your mouse has no more chanels left to use ;D
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Ok i got a test. Tonight Team intelimouse vs team Logitech in HL2 deathmatch

Oooooooo, I'd be in for that!!

Logitech HO!!!
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2005
    I got a mx510 and my accuracy in Enemy Territory went from 23 to 24% to 28 to 35% consistantly. A minimum of 4% accuracy increase is damn good in my book. I like my MS mice, I use them as backups and for work and such but for gaming... MX510..
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2005
    My old roommate had an mx700. One day we hooked my mx500 to the other USB port and fired up counter-strike. The mx500 was more responsive. It was noticeable, but I guess that was all mental right? :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2005
    croc_ wrote:
    My old roommate had an mx700. One day we hooked my mx500 to the other USB port and fired up counter-strike. The mx500 was more responsive. It was noticeable, but I guess that was all mental right? :rolleyes:

I have the MX500 at work and the MX700 at home. They both feel the same.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I've used an MX500 and MX700 extensive, both feel the same.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I own MX700 as well. I haven't played with the MX500 or 1000 yet but I can say that I saw a noticable improvement once I switched to the 700 from using wired logitech and MS mice, that's gaming as well as general movement on the desktop.

I do want to get a 1000 though....maybe I will this paycheque.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    I've used an MX500 and MX700 extensive, both feel the same.

I was bitten by a radioactive spider, thats how I am able to notice the difference. I can also shoot webs from my wrists. :scratch:

Anyways, I'm over FPS games for now, so super precision mousing isn't my top priority >:]
  • godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited March 2005
    I've had the red MX510 for a while now, replacing the old MouseMan Dual Optical I had. To date the MX510 the most accurate and stable mouse that I've used. My only intellimouse had a ball so there's no valid comparison. I actually find the MX510 to be slightly too small for my hand though...my pinky keeps getting run over. ;D

It seems to like the generic black spandex-covered gel mousepad I have.

I have found problems with game detection, for some games (especially the new ones) the mouse won't switch from standard to gaming mode without adding the name of the game executable to someplace in the Logitech section of the windows registry. That could be the source of problems for some people.

The thing that irritates me primarily with wireless mice is having to deal with the batteries and RFI problems inherent to a lot of the electronic crap I do.
  • edited March 2005
    How do you switch a mouse from standard to gaming mode? What does switching it do?

I've never heard of this before.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    its probably something stupid that iTouch can "do"
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2005
    That's a new one on me as well.

I've never been aware of it, or, for that matter, needed it.

Perhaps it has something to do with configuring all the extra buttons within a certain game? Profiling, if you will.

Dunno.
  • godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited March 2005
    Basically what happens is Logitech software is supposed to change modes when a game starts, disabling acceleration of you have the checkbox set in the mouse properties, and letting go of custom button assignments... so if you have the 'Button 5/Forward' button assigned to double-click instead, it will return it to Button 5 when the game is open. (I use that button to change ammo types in ChaosUT for UT2k4) Otherwise, acceleration will stay on and the game just thinks you double-clicked the primary fire button.

The registry location for the game data is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Logitech\MouseWare\CurrentVersion\GamingCompatibility

...please don't tell me that none of you guys ever mess with the settings... :scratch:
  • edited April 2005
    **** i never understood this creepy rush about this mx1000 mouse. I use mx510 on steelpad's surface for a long time and i can easily say that this is the best gaming gear ever.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I have an MX 700 and I love it. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to an MX 1000? I plsy some FPS, but mostly games like WoW, Freedom Force, etc...