Utilties Poll 2005: Anti-Virus

2»

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited August 2005
    Am late and Poll is closed :(

Well, just to add that I been using AVG for about a month now. Was using NAV but got tired of it using so much resources so I switched to AVG and noticed a big increase in load up time :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Two home computers: one on Norton AV, the other on AVG.

Work desktop: McAffee
    Work laptop, on company configuration: McAffee
    Work laptop, on personal configuration (my own, private hard drive): AVG

I will not purchase Norton AV again. In my opinion, AVG is just as good, except the virus definitions aren't updated as often.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I'm sorry fellas... I reopended the poll for anyone who missed it :) Hopefully I'll be into analyzing the results soon though, so please make the votes ASAP.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    AVG all the way. AVG Free Edition is just wonderful. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I HATE McAfee and Norton. Those things are spyware in themselves!!! AVG's updates are flawless, extremely fast, and hassle-free.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    mcafee - paid for it with part of my college tuition. I'll probably move to a free one if they cut off updates after I leave school.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited September 2005
    I switched over to AVG a month ago from Norton Antivirus 2004. For my old 1600+ pally, switching to AVG has sped up my system. IMO, AVG works just as well as NAV without slowing down the system.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have now wiped all Symantec/Norton applications off all my personally owned computers, except for Ghost. I've run AVG on several machines (mine and builds I did for others) now for over a couple years. AVG has worked beautifully. On my own computers, I got tired of all the useless Norton stuff running in the background. With RegCleaner, CCleaner, and AVG, I don't need SystemWorks or bloated Norton AV, so off it went from it's last stronghold. My work computers run McAfee, of which I am not a fan. But it works.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    Personally I use AVG, have since I first saw it in S-M's poll a couple of years ago.

Any other utilities for 2005? :D
  • edited January 2006
    I have sysemtic Corp 9. i have been very very happy with it, one thing i like very much about it. With an e-mail program it cleans the virus and then gives you a count and doesn't make you decided on what to do with each e-mail like norton home does.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited January 2006
    USE is a strong word. I hate Norton, but I couldn't be bothered getting another, until now. I may look into AVG and BitDefender (thanks guys!). I turn off Norton but two files run all the time and I can't even end-task them, or they freeze my pc:mean: . At work they use Norton, too.

I use Zone Alarm for active screening but I kept the Norton for my wife. She is computer-illiterate but keeps going on these free screensaver/background sites and Norton is the only icon she likes to see (???).
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Sav 10 is out now :)
  • edited January 2006
    Well i have been using McAfee that comes with MSN Permium with firefox and my computers have running great, basically firefox takes care of mostly everything and McAfee hasnt been giving me any trouble also its free for me so why not use it
  • edited January 2006
    Kaspersky, I've been using it for a while now (had been using AVG for the last 2 years) and I like that the deffinitions get updated every few HOURS as opposed to every day or so and it seems to scan deeper than AVG.

After I put it on and ran it, which was shortly after a full scan with AVG, it found some compressed files that had trojans in them. These were files I'd scanned with both AVG and Nortan AV and both had missed them.

That speaks volumes to me.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2006
    AVG for me this time!

I gave up on Norton last year, I have nothing against NAV, but it's not as good as it used to be by comparison, and Symantec don't appear to be doing anything to strip it down so it doesn't use as much of your system resources.

AVG has fantastic updating, uses minimal resources, and runs great out the box (installation package). Oh yeah, and it's FREE! :)
  • edited January 2006
    I dont use an anti-virus program...when something goes wrong, which happens once every 3 month or so, I pop in my XP CD and reinstall in about an hour:tongue2:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I normally have an AV program installed but not resident purely to check things every so often (I have a network of machines so I need to check what they put on the server).

I use Avast! for Windows as I feel it is more comprehensive than AVG, seems to be more up to date and is still free and I use ClamAV in Linux as on my server it integrates into things such as the mail server and is nice and light.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2006
    Shadow2018 wrote:
    Panda Titanium A-V is one of the better options out there right now. From what I have seen it is the only A-V program that will detect the smitfraud trojan which has become a serious problem.

PC-Cillin Picked it up on mine
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    AVG free pwns all...lol