Help with diet and weight gain

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited June 2006 in Fitness
Somehow I have lost about 20 some odd pounds in the past I say year or so. I used to weigh up to like 140 pounds, but I weighed myself last night and the scale read 122. This could be the reason that I have been feeling like crap a lot lately, and getting sick on a regular basis. I eat all the time, so I don't understand why I can't gain any weight. So I started to google some stuff and I guess I am not taking in enough calories as I should? So I wanted to get a list of things I could start eating on a regular basis to try to get my weight back. So what do you guys think? Any improvements or suggestions?

Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs, toast, maybe some fruit?

Lunch:
Salad, yogurt, sandwich with lettuce, etc

Dinner:
Some kind of meat usually, baked potato, beans?

I have looked on google for high calorie foods but always get some stupid sites that don't really have what I'm looking for.

So if anyone can throw in something it would be great.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You could buy those weight gaining drinks, they taste great and have lots of nutrients. Mostly for body builders and people needing to gain weight like yourself.

Wish I had your problem though :P
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Drinking copious quantities of beer has always worked well for me when it comes to weight gain. :cheers:

First, see a doctor and make sure you don't have Mono or are anemic, etc.

If you're all clear with that stuff and the doctor doesn't give you more specific advice on the subject, go to a health food store and look for a weight-gain shake mix. Taken with whole milk, it will increase your caloric intake without forcing you to eat all of the time and spend tons of money on groceries.

Add in a good weight training program and you should add worthwhile lean muscle - not blubbery rolls of fat around your midsection.

If all of that fails, get into a serious romantic relationship with me. Every person who does that seems to pack on the pounds in no time. :o

EDIT: Typed too slowly. :respect:RWB
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    If all of that fails, get into a serious romantic relationship with me. Every person who does that seems to pack on the pounds in no time. :o
    OMG, that's funny!

Probably not much help to Clutch, but still......;D

Gaining weight doesn't seem to be a problem for me. All I did was change jobs and I've gained about 30 pounds in the last year. Dang desk must be loaded with calories! ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2006
    Yeah I sit at a desk all day at work and then at the computer desk again at home. And prof, I'm gonna have to pass on the relationship ;) but thanks for the offer, hehe.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    Tapeworm?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I would definitely see a doctor. Nothing serious, just see a general practicioner and tell 'em would you told us. Do you work out?

I hear Slim Fast is good for adding weight if you don't replace a meal with them.

Also, I'm willing to give you 10-20 of my pounds if you like. Totally free. That's a deal, man. Quality made from beer & nachos. ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    ...I hear Slim Fast is good for adding weight if you don't replace a meal with them...
    When I wrestled in High School there was a guy on the team who was desperately trying to lose weight so he could wrestle in a lower weight class. The coach recommended he try Metrecal (a 1970's precursor to Slim-Fast). After a week or two he had gained five pounds and was more miserable than ever.

When the coach asked him how he was doing with the Metrecal he answered "Great - I drink a can of it after every meal". :-/

Clutch wrote:
    ...prof, I'm gonna have to pass on the relationship...
    I've been turned down by prettier guys than you. :ninja:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Find a calculator for your BMR (Basal metabolic rate). That will tell you how many calories your body burns sitting there doing nothing 24/7, try to make sure you're atleast eating that amount.

Then find a calculator to see how many calories you burn a day above and beyond that. Try to find a calculator that permits you to specify the average amount of hours, per day, that you spend doing any number of activities: Reading, playing online, walking around at work, sleeping, watching TV, whatever exercising you may do, etc. Try to eat this many calories a day (It's probably around 2200 calories for you) to maintain your weight, and then if you want to gain weight, deliberately eat (that number + 500) calories a day to gain a pound a week (3500 calories = 1 pound, 500 extra calories * 7 days a week = 3500 calories).

Good luck.

I keep an excel spreadsheet to track how many calories I eat each week for purposes of weight loss, for example, and it has really helped me lose the 38 pounds I have lost since December '04. You can do the same thing for weight gain. The key to success is accurate tracking, not guessing.
    edited May 2006
    I went to a doctor yesterday about this cold. And she said to basically try to eat more calories. And then she said something about as I get older I will gain weight more easier or some bull**** like that. This is why I wanted to get some advice from some people I really trusted.

So any suggestions on like high calorie food? Google has came up with nothing for me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    fast food :-/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:

I've been turned down by prettier guys than you. :ninja:

Mans best friend doesn't count ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    One of the comments on that article cracked me up:
    hi
    i'm fat as well but want to be fatter then any sumo wrestler:)
    want to be almost completely immoble.
    edited May 2006
    Dude...you live in NC! EAT BISCUITS AND GRAVY!!!! LOTS OF IT!!!

I mean hay...it worked for me!
  • edited May 2006
    When you get here for the LAN we could arrange a fat transplant surgery. I have a good 30 pounds that has your name all over it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Just give me your address and I will send you all you want. Chnces are that I will still have too much left over. :/
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Just give me your address and I will send you all you want. Chnces are that I will still have too much left over. :/

I'll be glad to pitch in a large quantity too !!

Thanks to several million units of steroids when I was sick I now have plenty of weight to spare for a fellow in need. ;)
    edited May 2006
    Missileman wrote:
    I'll be glad to pitch in a large quantity too !!

Thanks to several million units of steroids when I was sick I now have plenty of weight to spare for a fellow in need. ;)
    Hey, that's how I got mine too! I literally broke my back and they kept pumping me full of the stuff. :werr:
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Hey, that's how I got mine too! I literally broke my back and they kept pumping me full of the stuff. :werr:

Yep - great stuff for gaining weight. I had a tumor grow inside my spine which crushed my spinal cord paralyzing me from the chest down. Also plugged the fluid drain and caused the pressure inside my skull to go up. When they took it out everything started to swell so I got the steroids by the IV bottle every hour for weeks. I always wished they'd of used the type the athletes use instead. Then we could be BUFF :wink:
    edited May 2006
    But you'd have a small Wii!
    edited May 2006
    lawl small wii, classic.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    seems to me like your an ectomorph,

on a diet that you listed, you will never gain weight, no matter how many calories you bring in.

simple rules for gaining/losing weight.

- eat 6-7 times a day
    - lots of red meat and full eggs
    - have your meals/snacks 3 hours apart.
    - your main course should be protein based, suround them with carbs (potatoes,rice, pasta, oatmeal etc..)
    - you will need alot of sleep time to grow, 6 to 8 hours.

from what you have described, im estimating you should go up to as high as 4000cals day. increase your daily calorie intake about 100cals /day.

if you signed up at a gym, pm me , i can build a plan for you.

transforming your body requires hard work/planning and dedication, either its for losing body fat or building mass, no such thing as a magic pill, even if we pumped you with 2000$ worth of steroids, you will not benifit nothing from it if your lifting/diet plan is not dialed in.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You know by eating more you increase your metabolism... though you can still gain weight. For example for my diet on loosing weight I eat 6 to 7 small meals a day, my metabolism increases and the amount I eat is small and equals the amount of 3 semi large meals a day.

I learned the slim fast thing as well, I was having a drink with each meal and wondered why I gained 5 lbs in a week... but I felt great btw ;)

Now I try slim fast for a day, meals for a day, and trade off, just a test I am doing to see what happens, but I just started it so I have no results yet... I might go slim fast all the way, and mix in creatine as well for my work outs.

But damn my piss stinks now, like nasty cappicino's.

BTW I am doing myown little variant of the BODY for LIFE program... I eat only what is healthy, but I tend to eat too much of it still. Better than chips and cookies for snacks though, I eat chicken and fruits :)
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Go to your doctors, don't just pig out on food. You want to gain healthy weight, not crap that hurts you.
    edited May 2006
    So drinking slim fast with each meal actually makes you gain weight instead of loosing it? wtf is up with that?
    edited May 2006
    Clutch wrote:
    So drinking slim fast with each meal actually makes you gain weight instead of loosing it? wtf is up with that?
    Because it is supposed to be a suplement to have instead of a meal. So if you slimfast and eat you are getting double. ;)
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    just to go back to what i had recommended,

i challenge anyone to take what i have to written and present it to a doctor or health expert and see what they say.

i have been doing this for the past 3 years and had fantastic results.

i have lost approx 160lbs during my transformation.

dropped from 325lbs to 179lbs during cutting phase.
    then increased calories for a 12 week bulk phase, went up to 225lbs.

then cut down to 208lbs, and now im maintnance mode, eating 3500calories/day.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    citrixmeta wrote:
    just to go back to what i had recommended,

i challenge anyone to take what i have to written and present it to a doctor or health expert and see what they say.

i have been doing this for the past 3 years and had fantastic results.

i have lost approx 160lbs during my transformation.

dropped from 325lbs to 179lbs during cutting phase.
    then increased calories for a 12 week bulk phase, went up to 225lbs.

then cut down to 208lbs, and now im maintnance mode, eating 3500calories/day.

That's quite amazing.

During an eight month period, I cut 35 pounds (Going from 175 to 140), and then started lifting weights and doing cardio in early February, since then my BMI went from a 25% to 19%. I've been looking towards more lean muscle rather than bulk muscle.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I say get a good workout plan going ...that's how I did it. In fact I started it with creatine and purple grape juice and gained 10lbs within a week.
    I remember waking up in the middle of the night feeling starved and fixing peanutbutter n syrup sandwiches ...sometimes on pita (sp?).
    At any rate muscle mass is the best way to gain weight IMO.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I broke up with my GF and lost about 15 pounds.... Wait, that wasn't good ;D