The "I've got Vista!" thread

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
SO who has it now? I just installed it and I must say I digg it!

Though I have a pet peeve..... when you do a fresh install of an OS.... you shouldn't be at a near 900MB of memory usage. 876MB to be exact.

I am running Internet Explorer 7 64bit edition too which is a cool gimick, dunno the actual difference between 32bit and 64... probably none. But who cares!

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    900MB memory usage? That's just obscene. Means you're going to need like 3 or 4GB for games now then if almost an entire gig is used by the OS alone...
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    yea so basically MS wanted vista to look like mac osx and say its better because you need higher system specs (meaning its high in preformance). My friend has one of the betas installed. Looks pretty, but I honestly dont see any improvement in speed or anything and he has a really quick system.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    It's still beta. Far from optimized, I'm sure.
    edited June 2006
    Cyclonite wrote:
    It's still beta. Far from optimized, I'm sure.

Heh, I've beta tested other MS OSs and nothing substancial ever changed from the Beta's to the end product other than basic bugfixing and some cosmetics...
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    meh, ill stick to the old "trusty" Windows XP Pro
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Heh, I've beta tested other MS OSs and nothing substancial ever changed from the Beta's to the end product other than basic bugfixing and some cosmetics...
    But... this is not like other Betas. This is a new OS, not an improvement to an old OS. WinXP is based off of W2K, which is based off of WinNT.... MS hasn't done an overhaul like this in over 10 years. MS HAD to get a public Beta out to keep the public happy and show that the rumors were not true about Vista being almost unusable. The functionality of Vista is locked in... the tweaking and optimizing is the next step.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I am about to install some games and see how they run, I have two gigs of RAM though... and hopefully my games will install :)
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2006
    I'm getting ticked off, everytime i try to install the 64-bit version it keeps coming back with an message saying "an error has occured while copying files to your local computer error code [80070241]" i'm trying to install it on a sata drive 120gb
    edited June 2006
    Wont install on my machine. Boots the DVD, does the Loading Files bit, comes up with the background and the mouse works, but it doesn't get any further, just stops at that point.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Everex, wait it out as it did the same thing for me.... but it eventually went through
    edited June 2006
    Yeah. On some of the CTP builds I had the "taking forever on a black screen" issue.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I like it thus far, I have been playing with the first Beta and now this version. It has a ton of features I see as very useful. I love Vista Thus far, but won't be switching until gaming and my other programs become Vista bound.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Just installed Unreal Tourney 2004 and it plays... though a bit glitchy. I can't seem to upgrade my graphics card drivers, it givs the black screen, but the sound gets all fuxxed up too.... like an ongoing echo for rollover sounds. I also just did my first reboot without a crash.... note that the crashes were caused from the driver setup from NVidia not the OS which hasn't crashed yet since I un-OC'd it.

SO far I am diggin Vista, it's just so..... purty!
    edited June 2006
    It does take a fair amount of tweaking to get your drivers working properly without crashing. Haha.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Any tips?
    edited June 2006
    x64 or x86?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    x64
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    what about drivers?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Can you dual boot it with XP?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Can you dual boot it with XP?

Might have to install XP atferwards, I'll see if I can install Vista on my laptop(32bit) without destroying my XP install.
    edited June 2006
    You should be able to dual boot fine. I did with a CTP build. There's no more boot.ini though. It's not Bootcfg. I didn't play around enough with it, because it just worked the first time I installed.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2006
    Here is a possible solution to the problem i was having earlier although i'm at work and can't try it out yet:

ISSUE ->Installation might stop if the system cannot copy files. Here are some possible causes and solutions for this problem:

• Your Windows installation disc is scratched, smudged, or dirty. Clean the disc with a soft cloth, and then insert it in the CD or DVD drive, and follow the instructions.

• Your CD or DVD drive is not working properly or the disc might be vibrating too much for the laser to accurately read the data. For more information about this problem, consult your hardware documentation, or contact the CD or DVD drive manufacturer.

ISSUE -> • If your computer has multiple CD or DVD drives, your computer might be trying to locate files on the wrong drive. If your computer has a feature to disable CD or DVD drives that are not being used, disable the drives that you aren't using. Otherwise, try inserting the disc into a different drive, and then start the installation again.

• There is a virus on your computer. Run an antivirus program to scan your system and identify needed repairs. Be sure to disable the antivirus program before beginning the installation again.

This is right from Microsoft's website here is the linky http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/d9561cd3-791a-4aed-9b1c-0544016e960d1033.mspx

Does that help out RWB?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Note the "YOUR" part of each solution. :P
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Just installed it on my laptop(32bit) and it takes "only" 600MB of memory, giveor take. I am doing a couple things in the background...

I must say I really like it... my laptops audio doesn't work, but it found the drivers so I am still teaking the settings.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Im running it. Took a little longer than I used to install but it's using just under 600mb of memory and running very well :)

Time to tweak and see how we do :)
  • edited June 2006
    I just installed the 64-bit version on my box. Its a bit on the sluggish side, and I can't get my audigy 2 working using the drivers on Creative's site, but otherwise it seems to work just fine.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yep, I got Vista up and running! I tried the 64-bit release. Having some problems getting the Creative Audigy drivers to work though.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    The audio on my laptop won't work either, looks like the driver is installed, but it won't start.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2006
    Vista beta 2 does not seem to natively support the sil3112a sata controller. I run the setup but it does not find any drives. I also cant seem to locate drivers online for it. I was hoping to dual boot it.
  • edited June 2006
    Kwitko wrote:
    Yep, I got Vista up and running! I tried the 64-bit release. Having some problems getting the Creative Audigy drivers to work though.

Does it give you something about the data being invalid or something?

I used the ones off of creative's site. Which did you use?