The "I've got Vista!" thread

2»

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I ended up using the driver CD that came with my motherboard. I have the K8N Diamond Plus with onboard Audigy chip.

I tried installing antivirus and got the dreaded Black Screen of Death, which required a rollback. Given that even XP 64-bit still has some driver issues, I think the 64-bit is much less stable than the 32-bit. I'm going to install the 32-bit and see what kind of success I have.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Phat BSOD during bootup on an External harddrive for me. The new rollback option got used straight away :D I like that function. All OS should have that.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2006
    you should be able to get a anti-virus that works for vista here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/wsc/en-us/windowsvistabeta2.mspx

I've got it installed and seems to be working fine, my install is only using about 400MB or so
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    After a few days of use I just don't know if I like it. Being as it is a beta, it's hard to say how it will be when the full version comes out. Driver wise I know they'll fix alot of problems existing now.

But for example, I tried finding drivers for my audio on my laptop. Vista has the drivers built in according to Intel's site for the HD Audio system. Yet it's not on, ok it's beta. However, I am curious how backwards compadible this OS will be. Certain programs I really need don't currently run, or run well.

Softimage XSI runs, but is glitchy.
    Gameshadow doesn't work.
    Battlefield 2 doesn't work.... though one could easily argue this is EA's fault.

Yeah it's Beta, I've done what I can. But it's just not what I fully expected, and that wasn't much either.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    WinAMP doesn't seem to work for me.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    I like it so far and am getting sold on it sometimes it's seems a little too dummied down if you know what I mean.

Right now I have xp-vista32bit and vista 64bit installed on the same system. I've only worked on installing the drivers in the 32bit vista. it's been a pain. None of drivers installed on the first go,nvidia,audigy, printer, or mobo chipset. I've had to do them in round about ways like in device manager but they are working.

If vista 32bit works as I want it to then I'll start on vista64. I'm guessing I'll run one or the other as my main OS and have xp installed on a seperate partition for whatever may come.

PS.. I had to Install my AUDIGY DRIVER from the device manager and manually point it to the driver. Just incase that helps anyone.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    what kind of trouble have you had with the nvidia driver? Mine would give me a black screen, and wouldn't ever finish.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    RWB wrote:
    what kind of trouble have you had with the nvidia driver? Mine would give me a black screen, and wouldn't ever finish.

Mine simply would never finnish and I would get an error. What I did was ran the nvidia driver when it extracted I made it extract to a folder on my desk top after that I would let it go untill it failed. I don't remeber if I ended up updating it from device manager or desktop display settings/advanced/properties or what. However I had to manually direct it to the folder I had the driver extract to. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    THis protect stuff in IE 7 is really anoying the crap out of me since when I click on a link it has to check it before it loads and there is a pause. If I disable it I get all these warnings. Anyone know if there is a happy middle?

Update: got it figured out now. :)
  • T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
    edited June 2006
    Gargoyle, I did dualboot with XP Pro with no issues. The boot screen will give you the options of Microsoft Windows or Earlier Version, the Earlier Version being your XP os. Had an issue with AC97 audio driver but cleared that up after update and roll back. Have not gamed at all yet.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    T-LAM-C wrote:
    Gargoyle, I did dualboot with XP Pro with no issues. The boot screen will give you the options of Microsoft Windows or Earlier Version, the Earlier Version being your XP os. Had an issue with AC97 audio driver but cleared that up after update and roll back. Have not gamed at all yet.

Cool, good to know :thumbsup:

Did you install XP after Vista, or did you install Vista to a system that already had XP?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Cool, good to know :thumbsup:

Did you install XP after Vista, or did you install Vista to a system that already had XP?

I'm not sure but I think you always have to install the earlier operation system first. like win98-win2k-xp-vista. I'm running XP and both versian of vista but I had xp installed first.
  • T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
    edited June 2006
    I believe Komete is correct, Gargoyle, Ive dualbooted XP Pro with X64 and also XP Pro with Vista BETA2 and in both instances I already had XP Pro installed. I did read somewhere that removing Vista is some what of a trial, not removing the dual boot option at boot-up. Also, you may tri-boot with XP, X64 and Vista because Vista uses a totally different boot.ini? Not too sure about that one , yet!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    Is it just me or are all the colors in vista more crisp? I switch over to xp and things just look dull. I mentioned it to my wife and she said she wanted to ask but she didn't want to sound stupid. I'm running the same hardware nvidia 6800 on a 19 inch benq LCD. At work we run win 2k on 20 inch dell LCD's with ati cards and again everything looked dull there also. I guess it's my imagination but I swear even these forums seem to have more richer shades.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    dlng it at the momenti
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i've got vista woes all ready...it won't install on my comp, same error msg as usual...anyone have any ideas on what to do...im thinking about unzipping it..but i can't find my old version of isobuster
  • edited June 2006
    I can't get a clean dual-boot between my two hard drives (one contains XP, the other Vista). If I select "Earlier Windows" in the menu I get an error about some missing file. It's ok because I can simply disconnect the Vista drive to get back into WinXP, but there must be a better way around it.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I can't get a clean dual-boot between my two hard drives (one contains XP, the other Vista). If I select "Earlier Windows" in the menu I get an error about some missing file. It's ok because I can simply disconnect the Vista drive to get back into WinXP, but there must be a better way around it.

BY your sig I have a simular setup. I installed Vista 32 bit from windows xp with the image loaded on alcohaul and the 64bit from a dvd by booting from it. Doubt that helps.. I really want to find out how to setup raid with vista. Not to sure about the useing the asrock xp drivers for Vista.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2006
    I cant believe vista does not natively support Nforce2 chipset. Infact I cant find any drivers for vista and nforce2, it installed no problem on my intel 845 mobo but I wanna dual boot on my gaming rig to test games in it.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    Well the Beta doesn't. I'm sure the Finale versian will be alot more acomadating.
    edited June 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Well the Beta doesn't. I'm sure the Finale versian will be alot more acomadating.

whats the point of being a beta if you are excluding a large portion of users. How many people bought as still use NForce 2 based mother boards? millions?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    Gobbles wrote:
    whats the point of being a beta if you are excluding a large portion of users. How many people bought as still use NForce 2 based mother boards? millions?

I would say asked bill gates but he is retireing. Every driver I had to install was a pain. It is a poor final beta if you ask me. I do think MS is more concearned with getting it ready for system builders and not the guys who are upgrading os at first. Also I don;t know how all this works but I would think Nvidia plays a bigger part in getting drivers out and such for vista than MS does.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    ....I can simply disconnect the Vista drive to get back into WinXP, but there must be a better way around it.

sure there is: learn to administrate a computer for once ;)
    edited June 2006
    I got it all installed. I also got all tweaked as well, and they release a newer version... bastards.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2006
    Gobbles wrote:
    I got it all installed. I also got all tweaked as well, and they release a newer version... bastards.

Complete new version to download?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Holy Engrish Batman!
  • edited June 2006
    so what is this 'registry virtualization' like that i read about? does the release you guys have incorporate the UAP stuff (or whatever they might be calling it now)?
    edited June 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Complete new version to download?

Little more than a month after issuing a bug-laden Windows Vista Beta 2, Microsoft has shipped its first post-Beta 2 interim build of the next Windows and it makes up a lot of lost ground. Indeed, it's hard not to view this build and not believe that Microsoft is absolutely back on track.

Though there are few major changes in build 5456, which, despite the naming convention used on its desktop, is part of the release candidate (RC) build tree, and not a direct successor to Beta 2. But we shouldn't expect major changes at this stage: After all, Windows Vista was mostly feature complete as far back as February 2006. But what we get in build 5456 is dramatic improvement in reliability, usability, performance, and fit and finish. It is, quite simply, the build Microsoft should have shipped as Beta 2 to millions of people around the world. This build is so much better than Beta 2, in fact, that I'm begging the company to offer it to everyone that signed up for the public beta through the Community Public Preview (CPP).