Which chip to buy now?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Hardware
I'm looking to replace the XP 2100+ in my secondary since it's going in my Sister's PC at stock speed now. I don't have too much to spend, so I want an overclocker.

So what to buy?

Duron 1.6 and do the L2 cache mod?
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=DURON-1.6G
http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=19-104-159
XP1800+ and hope for a JIUHB DLT3C?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=343&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4159,3898
XP2000+ Thorton and hope it's still unlocked?
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AXDC-2000

Please note that any purchase would be made over the internet, since none of the local stores have good prices (about double what I'd pay at Newegg), nor do they tend to carry anything better than Palominos or TBred-A chips.

Oh, and if I should get the Duron, which store should I get it at? Newegg has some good reviews on the chip, but they're not all stunning...

Comments

• NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited November 2003
    my suggestion would be a duron

have a look at this thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...?threadid=20489
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    What does your sister do that requires overclocking? Get a duron or cheap XP and leave it.
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited November 2003
    What does your sister do that requires overclocking? Get a duron or cheap XP and leave it.
    I second that option...

Buy a duron, if it overlcocks well, keep it, if not, then your sister will be fine with it.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    I'd either get a Thorton or an 1800+.

The Duron may or may not have all 256K of L2 working properly. There are no guarantees.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Geeky/NoFuture, I think you misunderstood my first post. The 2100+ is going in my sister's PC, running stock, to replace her 1700+ TBred-A, which will go into a junk PC that I'm building. The overclockable chip that I will buy is going into my secondary PC, overclocked as much as I can.

So, a2j, why specifically the Thorton/1800 over the Duron? All
    of the chips I'm looking at are a gamble -
    Duron: Might not be 256K L2 capable
    XP1800: Might not be TBred-B DLT3C, might not be as OC'able as the Duron
    XP2000: Might not be 512K capable, might be locked...

I still haven't decided, since each chip is a gamble! I'm just looking for guidance as to which is my best bet!

Thanks everybody for your responses so far. Keep 'em coming!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Personally, I'd go with a retail 1800+ if you can find one, preferably from somewhere that turns over their stock pretty fast. All 4 of the retail 1800s I bought at frys a few months back were JIUHB/DLT3Cs, so I'm beginning to think that that may be the only stepping they're producing anymore.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    I want a junk pc :) send me one over. If you can get a JIUHB 1800+ then go for it, a nice little chip it is, but if you are buying online it is a hit or miss situation if you get that stepping. Hopefully Geeky is right and it is the only stepping out there.
    edited November 2003
    GH: Well, I don't think the 1800+ is a gamble. Especially the DLT3C. I've purchased four 1800+ CPUs w/in the last couple months and all have been DLT3C. The DLT3Cs should be good for 2.2 or higher. Not much of a gamble.

The Thorton might be a bit of a gamble, but even if it is locked the FSB can be increased and you still have all 256K of L2.

The Duron just seems like TOO much of a gamble for me to risk. Thorton is a gamble, but not as much.

1800+ is my #1 pick. Thorton is my #2. Duron is dead last.

But that's just my opinion. :) I'm sure many on this forum will disagree with me.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I'd say a Thorton from a local shop/Fry's (not online). Make sure it uses the old packaging before buying it though.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Mack he said there are no good local shops. How about you RTFT.
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, our local shops are kind of the suck. The closest shop, AS Computers (We call it "ass" computers) doesn't like to sell AMD chips, so they're stuck in the dark ages with Palominos in stock. The only other place to buy single processors around here is Microcenter, and they've got TBred-A's in stock, for twice the price Newegg charges for the same speed chip.
    edited November 2003
    I've decided on the 1800+. I've not made a purchase yet, but a2j's argment definitely swayed me. Not to mention the news of the locked Bartons/Thortons. And this way I won't need to buy any silver paint or any of that crap like I would for the Duron. Plus, it looks like the Durons are now in the new packaging, and I don't want to waste a processor by scraping through the coating...

So, at any rate, 1800+ it will be, and I'll hope for a DLT3C!

PS: I get to find out how good I can OC the JIUHB-DUT3C XP1700+ in my girlfriend's rig after I put the NF2 board in! Woohoo!
    edited November 2003
    mmonnin had this to say

Pissed at me because BDR left?
    edited November 2003
    BDR left again? :(

Oh, by the way, thanks for the offer of the switch, Mac, but I'm going low-cost with the 1800+, so I won't be having a locked Thorton for ya at the LAN. :(
    edited November 2003
    I can't speak for mmonnin, but maybe he was just trying to show you that sometimes we all make innocent mistakes and that rude and incendiary remarks aren't needed to expose them.
    Mackanz had this to say
    mmonnin had this to say

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    OH FFS.

It wasn't a mistake on her part, she directly said she couldn't be troubled to download a manual. :rolleyes:
    edited November 2003
    GHoosdum had this to say
    BDR left again? :(

Oh, by the way, thanks for the offer of the switch, Mac, but I'm going low-cost with the 1800+, so I won't be having a locked Thorton for ya at the LAN. :(

I'll bring it anyway incase someone needs it. Thanks.

a2jfreak had this to say
    I can't speak for mmonnin, but maybe he was just trying to show you that sometimes we all make innocent mistakes and that rude and incendiary remarks aren't needed to expose them.

[/B][/QUOTE]

No matter how many times i read that, i don't understand it. Sorry, i must be dumb.
    edited November 2003
    a2j is more right than anyone else.
    edited November 2003
    That's why I'm buying the 1800+! ;)
    edited November 2003
    Perhaps I missed that part because I never saw her say she couldn't be troubled with downloading the manual. Maybe you can show me that post?
    Thrax had this to say
    OH FFS.

It wasn't a mistake on her part, she directly said she couldn't be troubled to download a manual. :rolleyes:

Basically I was saying that to expose one's mistakes (not reading the manual/thread) we do not have to be rude or insulting. We can just simply state "the manual/thread says" or "the manual/thread is available here."
    Mackanz had this to say

No matter how many times i read that, i don't understand it. Sorry, i must be dumb.

Anyway, I've said my peace. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, GH.
    edited November 2003
    mmonnin had this to say
    a2j is more right than anyone else.

You little twit.

It's all about the folding points isn't it?

She REFUSED to open a damn pdf, i simply missed the part that a local shop wasn't an option.

She had the EXACT same problem with her last mobo as well and i actually cut/paste a picture from that mainboard's manual in that thread. You need serious help, Marc. F @ H has gotten you too addicted.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Damn, what a can of worms! I consider all you gus my freinds, so can you all just let the worms crawl back into the ground where they belong? She has left before also and she returned. She told us all straight up that she was also invoved on another site and woud be gone from time to time. If you don't want her to ever come back, just keep this stuff up and all she has to do is read it and be gone for good. Not what I have in mind for any one of our valuable assets to both the team and the site.

OK,now I'm done!
    edited November 2003
    I agree with mtgoat... can't we all just get along?
    edited November 2003
    Mack I've told you in a PM what I thought hoping to not bring it to the forums but you do it anyway. I've told you what I thought and its true. I would have said the same thing if she was folding or not.