Fix the 0x0000008E BSOD once and for all

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Science & Tech
ยซ1

Comments

• LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited February 2009
    Excellent. Thanks, Thrax. :thumbup :thumbup
  • Wonderfully thorough post. I've never seen anybody try to tackle the 0x8E blue screen with such in depth troubleshooting. Looks like you covered all the bases, bravo!
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Excellent Thrax!

Great Guide!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Very nice, and an EXCELLENT use of many of the other guides!! Go Icrontic!!1
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Well done, well done.
  • edited February 2009
    I actually went and bought all new PC parts thinking it was my PC or my raptor hard drives. Got whole new spec parts AM2 CPU, DDR ram etc and the other day boom! blue screen again! So I took out the ram replaced it one by one and its all good because my pc would not even go into windows let alone show the bios!
    So now thinking its the powersupply I went and got a new PSU, from a Hiper 500w to a Hiper 630w. Hope that does something good!
  • edited May 2009
    here you go http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83557 tell me if that helped.
  • edited May 2009
    Hmm... Nowhere in the [excellent] long threads I have read has this step been suggested..If you can boot linux CD and access the info on the harddrive, then it has to be the operating system on the hard drive and possibly the drivers that load when the OS loads...? Correct?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Correct.
  • KC
    edited July 2009
    I can't believe you advised to check EVERY box in HiJackThis.
    That is NOT what that program is for.
    MOST of the entries are valid, you must know which ones are invalid.

DO NOT TAKE THIS PARTICULAR ADVICE
    edited July 2009
    In this case, that is what the program is for, and there's nothing that can be deleted with HJT that cannot be run from the start menu. The 0x0000008E issue can arise as a result of executables that aren't playing nicely with the system. It happens all the time.

Thank you for your comment, but you are unfortunately incorrect.
  • HerrmannHerrmann Paris
    edited July 2009
    Many thanks to Rob Hallock whose article helped me into fixing a recurrent BSOD issue on a newly assembled PC.
    I ran Memtest86 : OK,
    I ran HighjackThis : 8 suspect register entries and 2 suspect extras, which were fixed.

The 2 following sites helped in indetifying those entries:
    http://www.merijn.nu/htlogtutorial.php
    http://www.sysinfo.org/bholist.php

I stopped at that step of the curing process, as the issue proved to be solved.
    The problem encountered was a reboot when attempting to login as admin or regular user on an AMD PC running XP Pro SP3.

Great article.
  • HerrmannHerrmann Paris
    edited July 2009
    Add to my previous post
    Unfortunately, BSOD occurred again after 5 days of normal run.
    So:
    I ran HighjackThis again : OK
    I ran SmitfraudFix : some suspect entries that were fixed (after Register backup)
    I ran CCleaner and fixed incorrect entries
    Still erratic BSOD.
    BSOD indicated faulty portcls.sys : even if this is not the only possible cause, I disabled Onboard Sound in BIOS yesterday.
    So far, the PC run OK.

PC configuration is:
    GA-MA790FXT UD5P mb
    Phenom II x4 955, no oc
    2x1Gb DDR3 12800 OCZ Platinum
    HDD WD RE3 250Gb

Next step: I'll update Sound drivers (new version 2009/07/09)
    Some useful stuff there:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide?page=0,0
  • HerrmannHerrmann Paris
    edited July 2009
    As a conclusion:
    I upgraded Realtek driver for onboard audio from Gigabyte support page (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3005&ost=xp#anchor_os) and then re-enabled onboard audio.
    The PC runs OK and sound is OK too.
    So, for GA-MA790FXT UD5P owners encountering BSOD at login (XP SP3), I recommend the upgrade of Realtek driver, in the case onboard sound is enabled.
    Thanks for the valuable information I found here.
    edited July 2009
    I'm glad you ofund a solution Herrmann! I'm glad -- even if it was a pain for you -- that you also helped prove that this BSOD can be a result of anything.
  • edited October 2009
    These all steps we can make after system restore in safe mode! But thanks anyway... :)
  • edited November 2009
    I noticed pages 2 and 3 are strangely similar
    edited November 2009
    That's because the processes are similar for the scenarios outlined at the beginning of each page.
  • edited January 2010
    I have Vista and my computer started going wonky a few days ago, BSOD, rebooting by itself,not loading, so I found your site and after running the tests, the only thing that would show up was a memory error when both sticks were in the MB. I then took out one and ran the test and it was fine, thought stick in there was problem, but no, when I tested it it passed. I can now load computer when one stick is in(I've tried both separately)and both work and also put them on different posts and they work SEPARATELY, but when I put both on together, computer won't boot up, it gets a bit in and then reboots itself.Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Scott
    edited January 2010
    Some memory sticks just plain don't play friendly with one another. I've definitely had that happen to me before. Your best bet is to simply replace both sticks with a kit and be on your merry.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply Thrax, does this happen even if they played together fine for 2.5 years(no married jokes)
    edited January 2010
    You know, come to think of it, it could easily be a memory controller or motherboard issue. I think the safest bet is to borrow some memory from a friend if you can, and then run memtest again. If memtest comes up clear, I would go ahead and replace the memory (no married jokes!), but if it comes up bad, I would take a closer look at the reliability of your motherboard.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks again, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Scott
  • edited February 2010
    Thrax...Very good tutorial, thank you for putting in the time to shed some light on this issue.
  • edited May 2010
    please help me...please i try to do every thing and this blue screen is so bad i can't play any of my games...it wouldn't stop if there is a download that i can get please help me please help and not free scan things! Please help me so badly.
  • edited May 2010
    I have a severe problem with the 0x0000008E

I am unable to run any repair or recovery, and am unable to enter in safe mode.

I decided to just abandon my files, and reformat the computer but that will not even run. I put in the Vista disc and push the key to boot from the disc, but after selecting my language and clicking install it just crashes again and brings me back to the blue screen of death.

Vista is my operating system and all the guides seem to be for XP, or they ask you to do things to fix the computer, and I am unable to do anything, even reformat. What can I do? Thanks.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Samuel wrote:
    I have a severe problem with the 0x0000008E

...I put in the Vista disc and push the key to boot from the disc, but after selecting my language and clicking install it just crashes again and brings me back to the blue screen of death...

Hi Samuel.
    Sounds to me like you have bad ram, use another computer and burn a copy of memtest 86+

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip

Boot it on the defective computer and see if your ram is bad.
  • edited August 2010
    Reformatting isn't your only option if you can't boot into windows, surely.
    I'd first attempt manually getting rid of start up items through something like UBCD4Windows or Vista PE.

I didn't see virus scans mentioned either, this should be one of the first steps in the elimination of any error like this, as you don't need to boot into windows (its in fact more effective outside of windows) to perform these...

If you can find a way to run chkdsk, or sfcscan they could also prove helpful.

Just some ideas
  • edited May 2011
    install ubuntu.
  • edited July 2011
    I've had a "scattered, popcorn screen" for a year or so. And then after about eight months, updated my graphics card internally and soon got the screen + BSOD and got this Stop #:

0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x82885cc0, 0xa9093b14, 0x00000000)

And so after about a month with that, I rebooted my OS System from manufactor date. The reboot worked for about a day, and now the issue is back. I can't do streaming sites like YouTube or anything. And it's really becoming troubling to me because I could be working on something in Photoshop, etc. and it'll cause me to lose all my work.

I looked up the # and it told me it was memory/RAM. Is this the issue or not?

I run a Windows Vista. And this issue has been happening for over a year. =/ It's a more complicated story than what I've posted.