PS3 Slim announced

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    hmmm...

The PS3 finally becomes attractive to me.

If I were to buy a current gen console, the PS3 is definitely it, but I've had no interest due to pricepoint, power usage, and other things.

I might consider one now, I'd love to play MGS4, Blazblue, and FF
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Xbox 360 price cut t-minus and..... They almost have to now.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm, is it still able to play PSOne and PS2 games? Also, does it still have any USB ports, ethernet or memory card ports?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    No recent PS3 has been hardware compatible with PS1/PS2. Software compatibility is released on a patch-by-patch basis, with "most" old games being compatible. There's a list somewhere.

Yes, there is still Ethernet, and two USB. Memory card, no.

ps3_rear.png
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    WOW, they chopped a lot off that thing. That's an incredible size reduction.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Goddamn 300 dollars. Early adopter rebate, plox?
    edited August 2009
    I can't believe I want a PS3. My reputation will be ruined.
    edited August 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I can't believe I want a PS3. My reputation will be ruined.

As what? A weeaboo? Sony is a Japanese company, you know...

Also, the PS3 folds and has free online play. I luff my PS3 <3
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Xbox is better.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Xbox is better.

Shush, you don't even own a next gen console.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Nor do I own a Veyron, but I know what's best.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Bugatti Veyron....uhhhhhh

*drools*
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Nor do I own a Veyron, but I know what's best.

Probably as reliable, too.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I'm not interested in paying for Xbox Live, and I'm still not satisfied with the 360's build quality (not talking about RROD - there are plenty of other issues). So if I buy a next gen console, it'll be this. The continuing lack of PS2 compatibility is incredibly lame, though. BTW, Prime, all PS3s play PS1 games.

I'll pick up a 360 to play the single-player games I've missed out on by the time 360s are being dumped for 720s.
    edited August 2009
    Thrax - perhaps it's a stronger platform, but almost any 360 game that's worth a darn, I can play it on PC (and probably enjoy it significantly more there)

There are many PS3 exclusives that are actually that, and make me wish I could play them. Few 360 exclusives are not also found on the PC eventually.
    edited August 2009
    I agree with Bobby,

The 360 is more or less Direct X on TV. The PS3 does offer some exclusives that seem more compelling if your already a PC gamer.

Not to mention, you take the cost down $100 now, it at least seems to be designed better, tests will show next month, but its smaller, removes that power brick, I wonder if it runs cooler as well (the 360 is hot and sounds like a small jet plane). You get a blu-ray player, which I am luke warm on at best, but its a throw in feature that we can't knock. The online play is free. If I'm Microsoft, I can't like this move at all.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I still don't find the Blu-ray player a compelling arguement for the PS3. The rest is all perfectly legit but Blu-ray just isn't nailing DVD in it's coffin. We'll have a new form of HD storage by the time Blu-ray ousts DVD from it's throne.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I love my blue-ray player...erm uh-hem... PS3.

But damn, i might try to sell my quick and get the slim version. It looks nice.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    I love my blue-ray player...erm uh-hem... PS3.

But damn, i might try to sell my quick and get the slim version. It looks nice.

It's worth a bit if you've got one of the original backwards-compatible ones.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I DO have one of the originals, except I have a huge library of PS2 games that I fear for...
    edited August 2009
    PSN's online play is free, but it's shit, at least in my experiences - particularly in the voice chat arena.

I, too, am thinking about selling my old (as good a time as any, what with the move) and picking up a slim... it's the OG 60gb version, so definitely has BC built in.

Still debating.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I use the PS3 more for media serving and Blu-ray movies than games...although I must say Infamous was excellent and GoW is looking promising.
    edited August 2009
    Preordered mine today. Be picking it up next week.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Added to my Amazon Wish List (aka birthday/christmas list). The only down side to the slim PS3 is that they took out the ability to install Linux on it. Oh well, I wasn't planning on doing that anyway. Also, PS2 emulation could possibly be restored soon, Sony has applied for a patent on a method that would apparently allow them to do full PS2 emulation via software on the Cell processor. Here's hoping that shows up in a software patch soon!

As for the XBox 360, there's a reason I will never own it. 50% failure rate is disgraceful.
    edited August 2009
    All right, now I have to smack you down.

First, PS2 emulation MAY come back, but Sony says fuck no.

Second, that 50% rate you disparage came from a 5,000-person survey, and it's not meaningful in ANY WAY. It could be 100% full of PS3 fanboys who just felt like having a lark at the 360's expense. Actual warranty-based failure rate analyses say the failure rate is somewhere around 16%. And please note that a 5,000-person sample size from a gaming news site survey is, in fact, a far inferior dataset compared to a 1,000-person sample size from a 360 warranty agent.

Moreover, the original causes of most failures were fixed with the Jasper revision, so you'd never see a problem if you bought one now.

And if you'll note from the survey, only 3% of respondents said they wouldn't buy another 360 because of its hardware failures. Sounds like the 360 is a massive success compared to the PS3 if 97% of people are willing to completely ignore this "crippling flaw" and buy another one again.

That survey is the only thing disgraceful here.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I would have thought that any internet based poll, by now, would throw up red flags for anyone when it comes to legitimacy - especially for something like videogames. Think about the typical person to cast a ballot for something like this.
    edited August 2009
    Speaking from personal experience I have shown the Xbox 360 to have about a 80% fail rate. I purchased two, one for me, one for my son. I exchanged each twice for red ringing (thanks Best Buy extended warranty). I got tired of mine, traded it for a wii so me and my little girl could play together and they guy I traded with had his tank again a few months later, so we are officially one for six at this point.

The Xbox 360 has to be the single biggest quality control failure in consumer electronics history.

Microsoft turned me off on the HD console front. If I want to play those games, I'll play them on windows from now on.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Speaking from personal experience I have shown the Xbox 360 to have about a 80% fail rate. I purchased two, one for me, one for my son. I exchanged each twice for red ringing (thanks Best Buy extended warranty). I got tired of mine, traded it for a wii so me and my little girl could play together and they guy I traded with had his tank again a few months later, so we are officially one for six at this point.

The Xbox 360 has to be the single biggest quality control failure in consumer electronics history.

Microsoft turned me off on the HD console front. If I want to play those games, I'll play them on windows from now on.

Agreed, my aunt has traded in her family's like 3 times over the course of a year and a half i believe. its ridiculous.
    edited August 2009
    I trade my XBox in about once a year, but I have never, EVER, had a single problem with my PS3.
    edited August 2009
    And it's still getting fixed for free, isn't it?

They underestimated the cooling capability, acknowledged the flaw, and are fixing it for everybody for free. They may have screwed up, but they're working hard to rectify the situation and they solved the issue in later releases.

Yeah, it sucks - but it's essentially over, and it's still everybody's favorite talking point.

Meanwhile, Sony frequently refuses to fix things under warranty because the console's "too dusty." That doesn't sound like service to me, so I'm hoping mine never breaks.