FCC uses tax dollars to tell us what we already know about broadband

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    This just in: Broadband providers over-promise on the speeds they deliver, and the kid that downloads hundreds of movies and songs a week takes more than their fair share of the available bandwidth. Who knew?
    What do you mean "more than their fair share?" They're paying for and getting the same service you are. Don't blame the customer when the service provider lies about their product.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited October 2009
    I was about to comment something akin to drasnor's. I'd only like to see large investment into high-speed broadband if we're allowed to call it infrastructure instead of a commodity. Commodities usually have actual competition.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    That's what net neutrality is angling for... Infrastructure treatment.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    dransor,

I would be the last to blame the consumer. Fair share just being a term relative to the average user, thats all.
  • edited October 2009
    But doesn't his administration also want the ability to turn it all off when they want to?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Nick wrote:
    But doesn't his administration also want the ability to turn it all off when they want to?

Not really, no. The idea that the president would be able to turn off the internet in times of national emergency has its origins in a poor interpretation of the vague language used in an early draft of the national cybersecurity bill. The poor interpretation got picked up and parroted throughout the blogosphere to such a degree that it has become a common, but inaccurate, understanding.

Here's a statement from Jena Longo, deputy communications director for the Senate Commerce Committee:
    To be very clear, the Rockefeller-Snowe bill will not empower a "government shutdown or takeover of the Internet" and any suggestion otherwise is misleading and false. The purpose of this language is to clarify how the president directs the public-private response to a crisis.