gaining muscle/weight

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited June 2011 in Fitness
Hey everyone,

Last January I started lifting weights with my room mates(who have been doing it for years and have a whole bunch of workouts), so they helped me get a workout plan going. I was on a pretty strict workout plan going to the gym about 3 days a week from January through May or so. Back then I started in January at about 174 lbs and dropped to 155lbs. I lost a lot of fat and gained a little bit of muscle.

My schedule was chaotic and I sort of gave up, but I started again in the first week of September. I'm currently 6'2 155 lbs, with about 10-12% body fat. I used to be a runner and have a fast metabolism, so it's really hard for me to gain weight.

Currently I go to the gym 4 days a week. Monday I usually do shoulders and bicep workouts, and tuesday it's chest and triceps. Thursday it's lower body, and Friday or Saturday I work on my back and anything else that I feel wasn't worked out well enough. I won't get into the details but I got the workouts from bodybuilding.com and from some friends who have been bodybuilding for years and are big/scary. The one thing that bothers me is my bench press will NOT increase no matter what I do. Damn these long arms.

Since I started this workout plan of going to the gym 3-4 days a week in the beginning of September my weight hasn't budged at all. I'm stuck around 155 lbs and can't seem to put any more muscle on. Ive noticed some increases in the weight that I'm putting up, but not enough to be satisfied. I also noticed that I'm more toned, but not necessarily bigger. I take whey protein with every workout, and just started on a cycle of creatine. I'm currently in the loading phase, so I've upped my water consumption a lot.

I'm assuming I need to up my calorie intake, but my problem is finding ways to do it without eating junk foods since I'm not home often enough to make healthy meals/snacks. I let myself have a few beers on the weekend, energy drink/soda once a week, and a "cheating" meal once a week.

I don't necessarily care about being toned and having abs (which I sort of do now), I just need to bulk up first. I have class from 10-5 pm mon-thurs, so it's hard to eat during the day. I usually bring a peanut butter sandwich to eat around 1, but that's the only food I intake within that 7 hour period.

What do you guys think I should do about my food intake since I don't have the time to eat a lot during weekdays, other than the morning and night?

I don't want a strict diet down to counting single calories, I just need some ideas to help me add some muscle mass. Any suggestions on easy lunches/snacks that I can bring with me and eat between breaks of classes? Any other things that I should consider?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    1. You're wasting your time and money with creatine. Your training level is nowhere near what it needs to be to benefit.

2. If you only have time in the morning or at night, you have time to cook for food during the day.

3. If you're not willing to make the sacrifices necessary--cooking in advance, eating food down to the calorie, and eating every three hours--then you're not ready to build muscle, because that's what it takes.

When you're ready to be serious, we'll talk.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    1164067718140pu4.gif
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    TMH, I'm assuming that you're only eating once during a 10-5 day because that's when you're not in class. Can you eat in class? Most professors, to my knowledge, don't care, and I'm sure if you spoke to them about having dietary requirements they'd excuse it. Then you'd be able to bring more food with you and snack periodically. Chicken is fairly easy to grill in mass quantities, and would probably be easy to eat in the morning. After that, I don't think that a whole grain bread with peanut butter is bad- though I wouldn't be surprised if Thrax disagrees with me. Otherwise, I would think that perhaps protein bars could be helpful, but I honestly don't know much about them, so I can't really recommend that (but it could be something useful to look into?). Good luck with your quest! :)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2009
    I never said anything about not willing to cook in advance or eating more often. All I said was I've been eating a sandwich during the day. I'm completely fine with bringing food to class with me and eating it when I have a chance.

Can you point out some good sites for meal planning? I also have no idea how many calories I should be taking in.

My comment about counting down to the last calorie was that I don't want to be one of those people who is scared to eat an oreo because "it will make me fat." Not that I'm going to eat half a bag of oreo's or anything, I just don't want to be scared to throw in an extra hundred calories every now and then.

I took creatine last April after I had been exercising for about 3 months and I had a huge boost after it. I noticed that I could do more reps and felt less exhausted after the same workout. My endurance while running was noticeably increased as well. I really liked the increase in stamina and I was hoping to gain the same results.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    tmh88 wrote:
    6'2 155 lbs … fast metabolism

You need to be eating truckloads of food.

Easy foods to carry around:
    - Almonds
    - Oatmeal
    - Hard-boiled eggs
    - Protein shakes
    - Wheat bread/peanut butter sandwiches
    - Fruit

I'd be looking at eating between 3,000–3,500 calories a day. Gobs of protein. Creatine is optional, if you're not eating enough to grow, it's not being used to its maximum potential. You're basically using it as an energy supplement, and there are cheaper ones than creatine (B12, ephedra, caffeine).
    edited October 2009
    I sat down yesterday and calculated that I've been eating about 1,500 calories a day, so I'm basically going to try and double that.

I woke up this morning and made 2 servings of otmeal with a banana and whole wheat bread. For lunch I made some chicken with whole grain rice and scrambled two eggs. I plan on having a snack shortly (probably just a peanut butter sandwich), and some raw vegetables later in the afternoon. For dinner I'll probably make some pasta with meat sauce(even though I know it's not the healthiest thing. I use 90/10 lean beef), but it'll throw in some calories. I'm sure I'll be snacking more throughout the day as well on fruit, nuts, and other small things.

I usually only take protein shakes on days that I work out. Should I start taking them on my off days as well?
    edited October 2009
    Protein every day. You must eat 3500 calories every day. You should be on a 40/30/30 diet which means 40% of that 3500 should be protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. Carbs = low GI like yams, brown rice, milk, oatmeal. Fat = peanut butter, olive oil, fat in chicken, milk fat.
    edited October 2009
    Can you point out some websites that can help with meal planning? I just need to get some meals down to know what I should/can eat. Do you know of any good iphone apps as well? I'm new to the strict diet thing and I could use some help.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help. Thrax, I know you've been doing this for a while so I'd appreciate some pointers.
    edited October 2009
    Pre-workout meal: 3 cups 2% milk + 40g of protein from powder
    Post-workout meal: 3 cups 2% milk + 40g of protein from powder
    Meal 1: 1.5 dry cups oatmeal cooked + 6oz chicken
    Meal 2: 75g peanut butter + 2 slices wheat bread
    Meal 3: 1.5 dry cups oatmeal cooked + 6 oz chicken
    Meal 4: 6oz chicken
    Water: DRINK 1.5 GALLONS PER DAY WITHOUT FAIL
    ---
    Total cals: 3451
    Macronutrients: 341g protein/280g carbs/114g fat (40/30/30 diet)
    When to eat: Every three hours. Your pre-workout meal should come timed on the three hour mark. Your post-workout meal ignores this timer. The next meal after your post-workout should be 3 hours after your pre-workout meal.

So for example...

Wake 8 AM: 1.5 dry cups oatmeal cooked + 6oz chicken
    11 AM: 6oz chicken
    2 PM: 75g peanut butter + 2 slices wheat bread (PB sandwich)
    5 PM: 3 cups 2% milk + 40g of protein from powder
    6 PM: 3 cups 2% milk + 40g of protein from powder
    8 PM: 1.5 dry cups oatmeal cooked + 6 oz chicken

Alternative foods:
    3 cups dry oatmeal (cooked) = 32oz cooked sweet potatoes (increase peanut butter to 100g)
    3 cups dry oatmeal (cooked) = 1.2 cups dry brown rice (cooked, increase peanut butter to 100g)
    Chicken = Turkey, buffalo, piedmontese beef

Do not add more bread or more milk.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks a lot for the help! I woke up a little late (10:30) but started with the oatmeal and chicken. I'm going to have a peanut butter sandwich and another piece of chicken around 1:30, and since I haven't had a cheat meal in about a week and a half, I think I'm going to have some pizza later today. And probably some oatmeal and turkey tonight.

I really appreciate the help.
    edited October 2009
    I'm up 3 pounds since starting this thread (5 days), and my body fat hasn't changed at all. I'm using one of those scales that reads it through your feet. Yes, I know they aren't accurate at all, however it is precise.

Accurate = sample of values are close to the true value.
    Precise = sample of values are clustered together but not necessarily close to actual value.

See image for reference. Yes, I know 99% of you understand the concept, but I just want to clear the confusion before being yelled at.
    accuracy_vs_precision_556.jpg

My point is that although the scale may not be accurate, the readings are precise. Hence, I can assume that my body fat hasn't increased.

edit - forgot to mention that it felt like I had more stamina and could push out more reps as well. My dumbbell shoulder press went up 5 lbs, and I preacher curls were also up 5. I was also able to squeeze a couple more reps out of almost every exercise I did.

I don't know if I was just having a good day or if eating really added this much energy.
    edited October 2009
    Right. Fat-reading scales don't read the correct percentage, but they do correctly read the change in percentage.

Yes, eating really added that much energy. It's why you can drop creatine and use the clean fuel your body really needed all along.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for all the help thrax! I'm heading to the gym in about 45 minutes to do some lower body workouts along with a light ab workout.
    edited October 2009
    Well, I went to the gym again and felt like I was on steroids from my improvement. I was able to rep 8 times what I usually only can put up 3 times on the flat bench.

One more thing Thrax, should I be drinking 2% milk with protein or is water fine? Does it make that much of a difference. I'm so used to drinking it with water that when I use milk it's so damn thick and "rich" that it sort of leaves my stomach unsettled. Maybe I'll just have to get used to it.
    edited October 2009
    You need the carbs from the milk before you go to the gym.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    You need the calories from the milk to gain weight.

Fixed.
    edited October 2009
    I was assuming he was going to mix the protein powder with water and drink the milk as well.
    I'm so used to drinking it with water that when I use milk...

But yes, you need the milk every day.
    edited October 2009
    I'm up 6.5 lbs this week in weight! Dumbbell shoulder press +5lbs, preacher curl(biceps) +10 lbs, up from 3 sets of 7 chin ups to 3 sets of 9. Also up from 3 sets of 5 pull ups, now at 1 set of 7, 1 set of 6, and 1 set of 5.

Edit- That was yesterdays progress ^^^, now for today. All of these are on the "free weight" machines. No cables on any of these machines.

Hack squats - 3x8 @ 90 lbs, +20
    leg press - 3x8 @ 180 lbs, +10
    Leg extensions - 3x7 @ 60 lbs, +5
    Calf Raises - 3x8 @ 180lbs, +20
    Leg curls - 3x7 @ 60 lbs, +10

All it took was a lot of eating which I love to do anyway!
    edited October 2009
    Next step, don't touch a machine unless the exercise absolutely requires it.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    Free range of movement ftw.
    edited November 2009
    It's been a while since I've posted here. Still continuing with exercising and eating shitloads of food. Up 5 more pounds since the last post. Too many exercises to list but they're all up! My bench press could use some more work but I won't complain since I have long arms which is a disadvantage...just need more time!
  • edited December 2009
    People always want to keep their body fit and healthy. So for that exercise and yoga are really important.
    edited December 2009
    tmh88 wrote:
    My bench press could use some more work but I won't complain since I have long arms which is a disadvantage...just need more time!

A lot of people say this, you simply need to look at your bench form. Push your chest out and retract your scapula, pulling your shoulder blades together, then touch the bar to the end of your sternum.

It gives you a firmer base to press off of, and also brings your chest closer to the bar.
    edited January 2011
    Thread revival, I know, just an update. I haven't stuck to a hardcore workout regimen, however I have nearly cut out all fast food, soda and junk food overall. I was very busy the past few months (and last spring) with school so I had no time to exercise unless I was going to wake up at 4:30 to do so.

One of my friends lost a ton of weight and gained some significant muscle using P90X so I gave it a try. I found that it was too "intense" for me. Not that I couldn't keep up, it's just that I was loosing too much weight and not gaining muscle quick enough despite taking protein daily and eating roughly 3000+ calories. At one point I was down to 148lbs and that's when I pretty much stopped their cardio workouts and stuck to the arms, back, shoulders and legs. I weigh about 163 now with about 8-10% body fat, so I did gain a little bit of muscle. I'm happy with my overall progrss.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Just read through this - need to add some calories in, and want to build muscle. Something's up with me the last 3 months or so, went from 165-170 from 1997 to 2011, and in the last 3 months, all of the suddenly went from 170 to 148 (as of this morning). Not sure what's up.

how do you guys do your chicken in the mornings? 11am seems a little early for a half-pound chicken breast?

edit: oh, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I was between 500-1500 calories during the day, based on the kind of food I get at home and how much I can fit in my desk at work. However, that's nothing new for the last few years. Maybe my body finally got pissed about it.

But we do have a lot of fridge space at work, think I'll go grocery shopping tomorrow for lunch.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You should go to a doctor. For serious. Large, unexpected weight loss could mean bad news.
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure they'll just say it's my calorie count, might as well get that resolved first. Almost passed out weeding the lawn Sunday - meh.
    edited May 2011
    anyhoo - I think chicken sausage would be good for the 8am chicken req. Maybe a chicken casserole for the 11am
    edited May 2011
    just got a load of supplies from Marsh for the work fridge here. I got whole milk, because I don't want to drink that many cups of 2%.

For what it's worth, a large bag (10-12 frozen breasts), bbq sauce, peanut butter, honey, strawberry jam and a loaf of whole wheat bread was just under $30 - should last for 2 weeks with the chicken, milk and bread, and probably a month for the rest. chicken, milk and bread alone were $17, so total monthly cost is about $45-50.

edit: I already had the oatmeal, get it in bulk and forgot to look at the price.

edit 2: just had a coffee cup of milk, probably 2 cups. The carton of milk I got isn't big enough, will last maybe a week.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Annes wrote:
    You should go to a doctor.
    This is really not a bad idea.