The Apple iPad: Laaaaaaaaame

Comments

• timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    So when is the Courier coming out? That thing looked like it could kick the iCrap out of this thing.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The only use for this I can see that it might be good at is for use in the medical field or anything else where you've got lots of paperwork. A single-task device like this could be useful for stuff like medical records. Then again, it'd need better battery life most likely to stand up to a full day's use.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I can't accept an internet enabled product that is not going to support flash, but in the sea of negative comments, I'll throw in one observation that did surprise me.

Mossberg over at the WSJ does point out one interesting thing. The Ipad seems to be priced fairly competitively for an Apple product. If your a competitive vendor building windows based atom, tegra, or neo tablets, your going to have to take Apple head on in the features and design dept. and not be able to just whip them on price. I'm not saying someone won't come along and offer something cheaper, but how much? Maybe 10%-20% off to get something that is less attractive on the surface? If your were an investor in the tablet PC market, you can't be too thrilled that Apple came out with theirs priced fairly competitively for a change.

Lets face it, one of the big advantages for windows over the past few years has been price. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be surprised to see a PC vendor come out with something thats even close to as attractive for around $500.

Closest thing right now is an Asus model for about $480 with a 8.9" screen, but its hampered by the atom platform and windows XP. Forget watching video on that thing, the UI just is not elegant, they will have to do a hell of allot better if they want to compete with the Ipad for the market that does find value in such a product.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    SO totally agree on the LCD part as well as others.

Trying to do real reading on an LCD is horrible. If they had gone AMOLED, ala N1/Moment, it would have been a start in the right direction.

Also, not having free connectivity built in like the other two major players was what really killed it for me. Since I recently ran over my iPhone (that I was using as an iPod Touch + Camera), I was contemplating picking up a replacement, and the potential to have free downloads OTA of books and/or apps would have made the iPad something I'd really look at. But carrying a $15-30/month charge, and an additional premium for the privilege to do so was probably the worst move.

So yes, sure, it's $499, for the WiFi-only 16GB (which is even small for me these days) version. But if you want real storage and real connectivity (which combine to become real functionality), you have to push a LOT closer to that $1000 price point that Steve was so inflated about them staying under.

Nice try, Apple.

Give me one without a 1" bezel, an AMOLED screen, 64GB minimum storage, Multitasking (like is built into EVERY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM IN THE UNIVERSE*), and $10/month unlimited 3G connectivity on an EV-DO carrier for $500-600, THEN I might consider one.

*yes, there are some specifically single-user operating systems out there, but they're not in wide use, and particularly not in the consumer market. Also, yes, dumbphone OSes are typically single-tasking like iPhoneOS, but iPhoneOS is effing BSD!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The only thing exciting about the iPad is the flood of affordable tablets that will hit the market to compete.

Do want 9" Tegra + Android tablet.
  • edited January 2010
    First off, not trying to be an apple fanboy or apologist (though I do quite enjoy my iPhone).

Regarding the ability to multi-task - this is PURELY conjecture but since the iPad was shown running iPhone OS 3.2, it's rumored that iPhone OS 4.x will allow some limited multi-tasking. We'll know more in March/April I'm sure.

Flame away.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Purely speculative conjecture is cool, bro. :)

No flame, but until anything solid comes out, that's pretty much a guess, amirite?
  • edited January 2010
    If iPad was aimed at replacing the full functionality of a netbook while extending the battery life, improving the portability and usability, it would have been the revolutionary/innovative product I was expecting to see. Without multitasking, a USB port that I can plug a mouse/keyboard or a flash drive, a flash card slot for expansion of storage, and a camera for communication, it is just another product between smart phone and netbook/notebook. I don't need it, I don't want it. I am sure many people will want but I doubt it will sell like iPod or iPhone.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    I have computers, I have laptops I have a blackberry. I still see lots of places where I could use something like this.

First of all lets be 100% realistic. It's not a computer. It's an appliance. No different then a video game console, a smartphone or your Blueray player. Look around your house you'll see all sorts of appliance.

For $500 you get a device that will work better as document reader then what's currently out there. Not only will it flip pages faster then an e-ink based pad but it's got full color and should render pdf's perfectly, something I've yet to see in any of the current e-readers. The LCD screen is more difficult to read then e-ink no dispute there. But I'm not looking at it to be my primary reading choice for that I have books - I love books and they don't multi-task at all. So in so much as an e-reader alternative is concerned it's for reference, quick look-up and yeah probably just general reading, I'll deal with the eye strain. Hell I'm on a laptop all day reading - I'm used to eye strain. Also since I don't consider an e-reader to be good bank for the book I'd be looking at a netbook for a reference device so either way it's LCD.

Next browsing the web no flash sucks but it pushes HTML 5 and who knows at some point flash may come. But for the bulk of my web use - forums and reference sites I don't need flash. So not a deal killer or even a consideration - some sites I'd rather see without flash....

Media, plays movies, plays music fantastic, great for killing time on a flight, cottage, hotel room with crappy local stations.

Apps - Games, utils, communications pretty much it's got you covered.

Peripherals no built in USB, but it's got bluetooth and you can get a USB adapter. The point is moot for my. Most of my toys happily sing through bluetooth. What I do find to be more disappointing is no SD except through the camera periph. That one I don't understand beyond the cash grab argument.

The keyboard dock, handy and I much prefer that kind of setup then to some fold/pop out keyboard anyway plus purely optional. The onscreen keyboard on a 10" display should be more then serviceable for the type of typing I expect to be doing, which is to say occasional and minor.

So here's what I'd be looking forward to in this device
    1) It does everything a DS/PSP does only better.
    2) While not as nice to read as an e-reader in black and white it can read so much more and has full color which for most PDF's I'm using is way more important.
    3) Surfs the net with the same size screen as a netbook
    4) Plays music and movies with 10hrs of battery life - my best laptop currently can do that for 4 and when doing that no way in hell it's multi-tasking either.
    5) Along with the games it has other utils an appstore full of them.
    7) 10hrs battery life again better then any netbook and certainly any netbook coming in at this size and weight.
    8) It's fast. Custom arm processor will drive this thing faster in each of it's tasks then other similar devices. Surfing, games, utils, documents. All snappy and responsive. No full blown OS overhead to deal with.
    9) Wifi for internet perfect

The whole argument of it sucking by what it can't do is a fallacy no device can win by that judgment. The truth is in what it can do so find me another device that can do all of that for $500 then we'll talk. An additional $130 to add in 3g + AGPS and a pay as you go data plan. Telus is trying to actively sell us 3g cards right now $100 on a 3year contract for $35+ a month starting at 500mb of data. 3g on this thing is a bargain.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited January 2010
    Gruber's perspective, as always, is worth reading.

His post before that one is also interesting if less relevant to the objections of this conversation.
    I would say that redefining mobile computing is exactly what happened. It is surprisingly, delightfully, iPhone-esque in many ways. But if you use it for just a few minutes, it becomes obvious that the iPad is not a big stretched-out iPhone, but rather that the iPhone is a shrunken stripped-down version of the iPad. The iPad is what they’ve been building toward all along.

The iWork apps are amazing. Totally usable. Totally new UI for office apps — there’s no menu bar. Maybe the best comparison is the Calendar app. It doesn’t look anything like the iPhone Calendar app. In terms of, say, style and UI grammar, yes, it’s the same vibe as the iPhone. But in terms of scope and ambition, it’s a far bigger thing.

While I would never make this argument in a consumer setting, I do want to point out that some of the biggest downsides mentioned here can be fixed with a simple Jailbreak. Jailbreaking an iPhone takes less then five minutes, getting multiple processes setup beautifully takes maybe 10 minutes if you know what you're looking for. For most of us on Icrontic these are trivial hacks to make this device much more powerful.

We also don't know that the OS won't be refined more then they showed right now too. I still think this is too close to call either way until we get our hands on it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    I have computers, I have laptops I have a blackberry. I still see lots of places where I could use something like this.

First of all lets be 100% realistic. It's not a computer. It's an appliance. No different then a video game console, a smartphone or your Blueray player. Look around your house you'll see all sorts of appliance.

For $500 you get a device that will work better as document reader then what's currently out there. Not only will it flip pages faster then an e-ink based pad but it's got full color and should render pdf's perfectly, something I've yet to see in any of the current e-readers. The LCD screen is more difficult to read then e-ink no dispute there. But I'm not looking at it to be my primary reading choice for that I have books - I love books and they don't multi-task at all. So in so much as an e-reader alternative is concerned it's for reference, quick look-up and yeah probably just general reading, I'll deal with the eye strain. Hell I'm on a laptop all day reading - I'm used to eye strain. Also since I don't consider an e-reader to be good bank for the book I'd be looking at a netbook for a reference device so either way it's LCD.

Next browsing the web no flash sucks but it pushes HTML 5 and who knows at some point flash may come. But for the bulk of my web use - forums and reference sites I don't need flash. So not a deal killer or even a consideration - some sites I'd rather see without flash....

Media, plays movies, plays music fantastic, great for killing time on a flight, cottage, hotel room with crappy local stations.

Apps - Games, utils, communications pretty much it's got you covered.

Peripherals no built in USB, but it's got bluetooth and you can get a USB adapter. The point is moot for my. Most of my toys happily sing through bluetooth. What I do find to be more disappointing is no SD except through the camera periph. That one I don't understand beyond the cash grab argument.

The keyboard dock, handy and I much prefer that kind of setup then to some fold/pop out keyboard anyway plus purely optional. The onscreen keyboard on a 10" display should be more then serviceable for the type of typing I expect to be doing, which is to say occasional and minor.

So here's what I'd be looking forward to in this device
    1) It does everything a DS/PSP does only better.
    2) While not as nice to read as an e-reader in black and white it can read so much more and has full color which for most PDF's I'm using is way more important.
    3) Surfs the net with the same size screen as a netbook
    4) Plays music and movies with 10hrs of battery life - my best laptop currently can do that for 4 and when doing that no way in hell it's multi-tasking either.
    5) Along with the games it has other utils an appstore full of them.
    7) 10hrs battery life again better then any netbook and certainly any netbook coming in at this size and weight.
    8) It's fast. Custom arm processor will drive this thing faster in each of it's tasks then other similar devices. Surfing, games, utils, documents. All snappy and responsive. No full blown OS overhead to deal with.
    9) Wifi for internet perfect

The whole argument of it sucking by what it can't do is a fallacy no device can win by that judgment. The truth is in what it can do so find me another device that can do all of that for $500 then we'll talk. An additional $130 to add in 3g + AGPS and a pay as you go data plan. Telus is trying to actively sell us 3g cards right now $100 on a 3year contract for $35+ a month starting at 500mb of data. 3g on this thing is a bargain.

A number of compelling arguments. I agree with much of what your saying, I have no issue reading off an LCD, I don't have a problem with the limited 3G offerings, WiFi will get me the functionality I desire, I agree, that multitasking on some levels is overrated on a unit like this, the only thing I ask, is please, let me play music while I do other stuff, not sure if thats going to happen or not. Also, not building in a USB port or a SD slot on a unit like this really does not bother me all that much. With the built in wifi, no reason why I can't just access my massive networked drive if I need more content storage.

A couple of minor nit picks against your bullet points.

1. Thought the games demo's they showed looked fairly compelling for what they are, I'm still a bit of a DS fanboy. I think the Nintendo DS is one of the finest consumer electronics products ever created, Nintendo just knows good portable gaming. Now thats not to say we completely disagree, the couple demo's they showed yesterday did look nice, I'm just not prepared to say its a better portable gaming experience than the Nintendo DS.

4. I'm not so sure we are going to get 10 hrs. of HD video playback out of that battery. I'd be surprised if it really shakes out that way. I could be wrong, but I think the verdict on the "real" battery life number is still out.

You know, flash is the real killer for me. And not being able to watch Hulu on it, ughhhh!!

So in short, its an interesting little unit, I think many people will find value in something like that vs. a full featured laptop, but it really needs a couple of tweaks, in my mind, flash support more than anything else.
    edited January 2010
    4. I'm not so sure we are going to get 10 hrs. of HD video playback out of that battery. I'd be surprised if it really shakes out that way. I could be wrong, but I think the verdict on the "real" battery life number is still out.

You're exactly right, when do battery lengths ever live up to what they are supposed to? Apple's as bad about this as anyone.
    You know, flash is the real killer for me. And not being able to watch Hulu on it, ughhhh!!.

I completely agree, it's absurd that they haven't allowed any kind of Flash support yet. I can understand and I agree with them on not letting it plug into mobile Safari, I run all my browsers with Flash blocked for all the reasons Apple gives. However, having a Flash based app in the App Store makes perfect sense to me, the Safari engine could be used in the app without every jacking up Safari otherwise.

However, with a device like this it's going to become more and more essential that Hulu and Netflix get their products out on the iPhone/iPad platform and I think we'll see them bringing out their own apps the way YouTube has if the iPad sells.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    You don't need Hulu or Netflix. Just download movies from the iTunes store!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Mixed response's here to lazy to quote

I'm not knocking the DS. Perhaps I was a little zealous to say it's better then the DS. They are different platforms each good for various reasons. I think it's fair to say then that the iPad will be a solid gaming platform and leave it at that. I do think that it will blow the PSP (especially Go) out of the water. The DS can't compete on graphics but it has other qualities that I admire my DS for.

The 10hrs battery life. I'm sure that's an ideal battery life. Every manufacturer misquotes their battery life. However I'm sure that in real life conditions the '10hr' iPad battery will last longer then the average '4hr' battery that most netbooks come with.

No Hulu - I live in Canada I don't get Hulu anyway or Netflix for that mater. Flash yeah some people can't live without it, I can.

Why download movies from the itunes store when you can just stream it? Same goes (in my case) for hulu and netflix. I have my movies on my computer I can stream them whenever I want. Get me an internet connection and I can watch and listen to anything on my PC wherever I am.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    chrisWhite wrote:
    However, with a device like this it's going to become more and more essential that Hulu and Netflix get their products out on the iPhone/iPad platform...

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry, I was just picturing what the rest of the world in which Apple would approve such an app would be like.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Now, let's see what everyone thinks when there's an MSI tablet to hold side-by-side:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100128PD214.html

Meanwhile, I welcome the day when I can stab with greasy sausage fingers at a magical screen that brings me cat-jumping-into-box videos while I giggle and dribble half-chewed Chicken Shack remnants down my chest.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    original.jpg
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'd rather get the Entourage Edge. Dual Screen(one is E-Ink) and Android OS. Foldable Tablet/Netbook/eBook Reader. Super sweet and same price.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    original.jpg

^5 to this, Gnomewizardd. :D
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2010
    I kinda hope this winds up being a big fail. It would be nice to get more people out of apple's asspit. I think the I-phone is sucking up too many software developers and resources for it's aps. Too much power for a single hardware peddler to be in control of. MS may be evil but at least you have some creative freedom with it.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited January 2010
    FYI: Adobe claims that flash will be supported on the iPad with the release of CS5 with their Packager for iPhone (which will also be adding flash support to the iPhone and iPod touch)

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/01/building_ipad_apps.html

it's not true native support but it will bring some support to the dead end market that is locked out of flash.

I heard rumors that flash is a major cause of crashes in OSX which is one reason apple doesn't want to support flash.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    FWIW, Adobe has saying Flash has been coming to iPhone OS for over 2 years now. I think the real reason Apple doesn't want to support Flash is because Flash games pose a direct threat to the app store.
  • edited January 2010
    photodude wrote:
    FYI: Adobe claims that flash will be supported on the iPad with the release of CS5 with their Packager for iPhone (which will also be adding flash support to the iPhone and iPod touch)

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/01/building_ipad_apps.html

it's not true native support but it will bring some support to the dead end market that is locked out of flash.

I heard rumors that flash is a major cause of crashes in OSX which is one reason apple doesn't want to support flash.

I have been using Mac OSX since many years and never seen, even once, a crash due to Flash. The most insignificant problem is Flash for me. I, as an advanced user, tech enthusiast, want a "computer" in tablet form. But Apple decides to offer another device in the line of iPods under their tight control. No thanks. I am sure there will be other products that will satisfy my requirements. I am also sure there will be other people happy with iPad while Apple is controlling their access to everything. Gnomewizardd's picture is telling the whole story.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    FWIW, Adobe has saying Flash has been coming to iPhone OS for over 2 years now. I think the real reason Apple doesn't want to support Flash is because Flash games pose a direct threat to the app store.

You're fairly accurate with this assumption. I've talked with an Adobe rep who prefers to remain anonymous. Basically word is in his dept that it makes sense for Apple to keep Flash out of its iPhone/Touch because of three main things. One, it puts a severe drain on the battery (especially if it has poor ActionScript techniques) that Apple didn't want to have to listen to complaints to. Second, it can allow for security exploits that Apple doesn't have full control over.

And third and probably most probable is that Apple probably doesn't like the idea of people using Flash to access their own music and game content. Watching Flash videos on Newgrounds and playing Flash games is just the start of it, but the main meat of it is that instead of buying the iTunes Store games people can play many enjoyable free games based on Flash. Yes, many of them are gimmicky or amateur, but there's a lot of fun out there to be had for free that Apple would probably rather capitalize on.

Point is, Apple has very logical reasons for putting the muzzle on Flash. But that doesn't make it right to limit their consumer base on what they can do just because it makes financial sense. The bastards.

Edit: Also, just heard wind of this. An AWESOME review of the iPad done by none other than Pee-Wee Herman. I can't believe they got away with this. XD
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Exactly WHY is the iPad neccessary? What can it do that cell phones, iPhones, Blackberrys, netbooks, and laptops can't do? It's completely unneeded technology. Does it REALLY have a practical everyday use that will last a long time?

People that buy it are either techno-geeks that just HAVE to have every new gadget that comes out, or they have more money than brains. Or both. I am neither.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I want to see the iPad become a huge crash and burn FAIL product. At the end of 2010, I want to see it in a list of the 10 most useless inventions of 2010.
    edited January 2010
    Whahahaha, good luck Tim but I don't think the market is going to consider what you want to be true.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Tim wrote:
    I want to see the iPad become a huge crash and burn FAIL product. At the end of 2010, I want to see it in a list of the 10 most useless inventions of 2010.

I want to see IE6 become a huge crash and burn FAIL product - yet some people still embrace it :D
    edited January 2010
    You know that's why he doesn't like Apple products, right? His favorite browser doesn't run on them.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited January 2010
    :tim: