Theme of the week: Movies that blew your mind

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Lifestyle

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    "9% of the films were animated, and they were all probably submitted by UPSLynx" <3
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Perhaps comedies and the like aren't on the list because you asked for movies that blew people's minds. Not many comedies do that for me. I don't think it's fair to say people on IC don't like comedies ("avoid the lighter fares") as much because they weren't represented on the "mind-blowing" list. Perhaps a "what's your favorite film genre" would answer that question, but this phrasing doesn't.

I also like that "members seem to like their stories fast-paced, and action-packed," despite said adventure films only occupying 25% of the breakdown.

I love the concept. What's this week's theme? :D<3
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    If you asked us what our favorite movies were I think you would get some pretty different results. My answers certainly would have been different. I'm sure there are plenty of dumb comedy lovers here at Icrontic.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That's a good point, which I hadn't really considered. Perhaps all of you would have had very different answers if I had asked for a favorite movie- though I do dare say that we still wouldn't have had many romantic comedies. But perhaps I shouldn't assume-maybe CB is chomping at the bit to inform me that "How to lose a guy in 10 days" is his favorite film.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Everyone's a critic.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That's a good point, which I hadn't really considered. Perhaps all of you would have had very different answers if I had asked for a favorite movie- though I do dare say that we still wouldn't have had many romantic comedies. But perhaps I shouldn't assume-maybe CB is chomping at the bit to inform me that "How to lose a guy in 10 days" is his favorite film.

LOL! ;D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I like this "Theme of the Week" idea, nice work Jackie.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    mas0n wrote:
    I like this "Theme of the Week" idea, nice work Jackie.

Indeed, well done Jackie!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The only comedy that would count as "mind-blowing" would be the mockumentary types, like Spinal Tap and CB4. Kentucky Fried Movie also comes to mind. Back in the day it was so over-the-top. Maybe now it's considered tame.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Who is Cliff_Forester? He sounds totally awesome.

I'm sure he liked Sweeny Todd, he just was not so sure he should be laughing so much at murder and human pie.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Who is Cliff_Forester? He sounds totally awesome.

I'm sure he liked Sweeny Todd, he just was not so sure he should be laughing so much at murder and human pie.
    What else is there to laugh at?
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Ahh, sorry Cliff! I just got so excited about including your comments that my fingers slipped on the keyboard...in the same way...repeatedly! Please accept my dearest apologies.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Ahh, sorry Cliff! I just got so excited about including your comments that my fingers slipped on the keyboard...in the same way...repeatedly! Please accept my dearest apologies.

Don't apologize for giving me a great oportunity to be a wise ass. :wink:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    9% of the films were animated, and they were all probably submitted by UPSLynx.

hahahahaha! I take that gladly!

Awesome piece, loved it Jackie. Looking forward to next weeks.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Well played.
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited February 2010
    Whatever UPSLynx submitted I will second. I am working on my collection of Disney Classics as well as Pixar Films.
  • edited February 2010
    branmyson wrote:
    Whatever UPSLynx submitted I will second. I am working on my collection of Disney Classics as well as Pixar Films.

More like working on your collection of being a tremendous jerk.
    I mean, how have you been branmyson?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I can't believe The Room didn't make this list.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Yeah do you believe that Chip? Branson just shows up here like he owns the place...
  • edited February 2010
    That's just branson, though. Dick at heart, dick for brains.

I just hate that guy so much.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Branson, I've always defended you.
  • edited February 2010
    No. He hasn't.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm sorry I said those things Branson.

Please don't kill me.

Put down the bull whip.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Get you and your inside jokes to elsewhere, yokels.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That doesn't even mean anything.
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Right off the top of my head, there are two films by Ingmar Bergman that had a really big impact on me: Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) and Nattvardsgästerna (Winter Lights).

They're probably too slow for most people, but there was something deeply contemplative and existential about them that really drew me in. That and I think they're both examples of great filmmaking.

I'd also have to say that most of the animated films I've seen have been mind-blowing in various ways. Anything by Studio Ghibli, for example, is great. I've yet to see one of their films that hasn't impressed me. It's a seriously underrated genre, in my opinion.

Other honourable mentions include Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man), Kontroll and Pi.
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Oh, and I forgot to mention Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring).
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Brilliant!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Finally upgraded from the old 21" CRT I bought in college to an HD LCD TV. First thing I did was pop Dark City into my upconverting DVD player. I know it's not true high def but by god did it look amazing compared to what I'm used to.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Well...there are plenty of movies which, at least in part, "blew my mind" during the first viewing. So many in fact that it is way too hard to name them all.

Instead I'll name a few movies that just blew. Or, "blew my mind" with how terrible they were.

In no particular order, the first few that came to mind:
    Ultraviolet
    Natural Born Killers*
    American Beauty (though to a much lesser extent, basically the thing that saved it from the abyss was Kevin Spacey's character)
    The Happening*

*Terri-bad

**I realized right before I went to post this that some had listed American Beauty as their favorites. Sorry, I'm not trying to directly douche you. It's just that I genuinely dislike the film and believe that it is very, very bad in certain ways (and in other ways not so much). Sorry. :)