Games you regret not finishing

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Gaming
I know we all have games in our past that we never got around to finishing. Sometimes, we give up because the game is simply bad. On other occasions, life gets in the way, or new games come along, or other distractions keep us from finishing a good game. Whatever the reason, I know we all have that one game that we regret having never finished.

This topic is for those gamers with such regrets, and hopefully, will serve to bring said gamers back to those games on a quest for completion.

So, what is it? What is that one game that you wish you would have finished, but for whatever reason, never did?

For me, it's Star Ocean: The Second Story on the PSX. When I bought that game, it was a time of my life where I was totally enamored buy JRPGs. I had gone through FFVII, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, and was working on Grandia II when I bought Star Ocean. I immediately fell in love with the game. I loved the story, the characters, the music, (the overworld theme is one of my favorite PSX era tracks) and the art style. I hated the voiceovers.

I was ripping through the game until I got to the second disk. See, back in those days, I used one of those MadCatz Mega Memory Cards with like 120 blocks of storage because I was a poor kid who couldn't shell out $20 on a regular basis to buy memory cards. When I loaded the second disk for the first time and tried to access my save file, it threw a load error. It was either save file corruption or just an issue with the bizarro memory card. I could not continue the game.

I never had the fortitude to restart the game, and I moved on and left it behind. I still come across the game from time to time and regret not finishing it, and would really love to someday beat it....

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Traitor's Gate, Myst, and the Thief series. I was a bad gamer for a while. I think I could tackle them properly now.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    FFVII.

I invested nearly 100 hours into that game, was ready to finish, and someone deleted my saves. I have never gotten over that heartbreak enough to play it again.

Someday.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I feel your pain, Lynx. I also had a cheap memory card kill my saves. The game was Legend of Dragoon. It copied several FF7 elements and was a lot of fun, but my saves evaporated while I was in the last castle/dungeon/whatever thing. My saves for the Lunar 1 & 2 PS1 remakes met the same fate. I've beat both of those games on Sega CD, but I still haven't got a chance to experience the enhancements of the PS1 versions.

My longest outstanding failure is Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. In junior high and high school, I probably spent over $100 renting it on SNES. But you know how it was in those days - if you don't hang on to the cartridge, your save will probably get deleted. Even after I bought it on Playstation, I've still never finished it.

I've also been at the end of FF8 for years, now. I hope I can find my memory cards so I can finish it off, because there's no way I'll play that game through again from the start. The first two discs drag like hell, and the plot-required minigames are insultingly bad. Which is a shame, because the last half of the game is pretty good.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer and Dungeon Siege II. :( I could never get anyone to play them with me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I got stuck right before the end, and as this was back before gamefaqs.com, I could either give up or shell out cash for the hint-book. I bought it on Steam so that I could finally go back and finish it, but now it's just too old to be much fun.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I suppose Prince of Persia Warrior Within. I got the bug that didn't let you proceed to final fight with the Dahaka and I wasn't about to replay the entire game just to spend five minutes more finishing the game.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    HL2 Episode 2 I beat the rest of the HL series But I reformatted and lost it all
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Wishbringer, a text adventure game, on our Commodore 64 computer we used to have. My brother used to share games with his friends and make lots of copies of games, and he got the first few pages of the instruction manual and story but not the whole thing. But it was a really good story for the first part that I was able to read.

I also never played any of the Zork games, but heard lots about them.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Ultima II, Ultima III, and Final Fantasy X
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Dark Cloud 2. I love everything about that game, but I always get to the end and then something takes me away from it :(

NWN 1-2. Again I seem to just get pulled away from them.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Most if not all the games I played on Sega that didn't use a password.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Some really good games mentioned here so far. Not surprisingly, the majority are RPGs. Nice seeing some real oldschool picks as well.

Mass Effect is another forgotten game for me, despite how new it is. I bought it on PC when it was released a year ago, played it for three hours, then just gave up.

About a month ago I decided I really needed to play the game, so I picked it back up. I'm near the end of the game now, and holy crap am I glad I did. The game is stellar.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm a little afraid to admit that I've still never finished the original Half Life.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm a little afraid to admit that I've still never finished the original Half Life.

This happened to me for a while because I would crash shortly after arriving on Xen. I did beat it though, and several times since, by killing the last boss with a crowbar.

I guess I regret never beating Doom 3? Not a whole lot of regret though.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Dark Cloud 2. I love everything about that game, but I always get to the end and then something takes me away from it :(

NWN 1-2. Again I seem to just get pulled away from them.

Mmmmm NWN I've never started playing it but I've always been interested. So in a round about way it's appropriate for this thread.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2010
    Don't be afraid you are not alone :buck: i keep meaning to go back and finish it too then accidentally launch plants vs zombies instead :zombie:;D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Honestly, Half-Life was a great game, the the Xen levels really, really sucked. They tried to mix up the platforming a little too much with those levels.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Same here. Got to Xen and lost interest.
    Winfrey wrote:
    I guess I regret never beating Doom 3? Not a whole lot of regret though.
    Same here.

//edit:
    Never finished American McGee's Alice either. I think about reinstalling that one sometimes. Wish I had the patience to finish Myst 4 and 5. I kinda wanna plunk down to finish Plants v. Zombies. One day Castle Crashers and SMB Wii will be mine.

It'd probably be easier to list the games I HAVE finished:
    • Starcraft
    • Warcraft I-III
    • SMB 1 & 3 (I don't think I ever beat 2 without Game Genie)
    • Super Mario Land
    • Mario and the Six Golden Coins
    • Mega Man 1 & 2 (Gameboy)
    • Portal and the HL2 series
    • Myst 1-3
    • Mario Kart 64
    • Super Smash Bros (64)
    I'm pretty sure that's it. :o
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    So many games I've never finished. But one until a few days ago was my most regretful. Mass Effect. Bought on the 360 when it first came out, NEVER finished it. Bought it for PC thinking I'd actually finish it there but it took several months. I would start from fresh after months of not playing and get half way or so and then just stop. Usually because of work, and if I don't get back on something within a week it's pretty much dead in my mind.

But I did it, and finished ME2 a couple days later :)

I could not tell you how many games I've not finished but I think I could count on one hand how many games I have finished. WoW is another game I never got passed level 33 or something... I just can't stay focused and loose interest too quickly. MY ADD MAKES ME SUCK AT GAMES!?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Phantasy Star II. I freaking loved that game and I've never finished it. It got really repetitive with the grinding towards the end.

I bought it on Wii VC a year or so ago, and STILL haven't finished it.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Oh my... there are so many.

Half-Life - I've played the first 50% of the game or so dozens of times. It seems like every time I get to that point though I would have to reimage my computer for one reason or another and I always forgot to back up my saves.

Final Fantasy XII - I don't know why. I love FF games. I think it was because I picked this up during my last semester of college and my life just got downright BUSY around then. I should go back and finish it now that I'm a working smuck.

Bioshock - I'm only a little regretful for not finishing this one. Mostly because it's too easy what with the fact that you basically can't die. Still though, my computer decided to lose my most recent save game, putting me back to my backup save and costing me 2 hours of playtime. I just never got back into it after that for some reason.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I started KOTOR on the Xbox when it first came out, got busy, then watched my son play the better part of it while doing other things. I have never played it to completion. I picked it up on Steam when it was on sale for $2, so I figure to resolve that one day.

Lets see, Metal Gear Solid, that part where your hanging and jumping down the building, never figured out how to heck to get past that. To this day, yet to finish it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    There isn't a single game that I haven't finished that I regret, other the perhaps regretting getting the game in the first place. If I've never finished a game it's because the game wasn't good enough to hold my interest simple as that. No regrets as every time there was something better that came along.
  • OhmecksOhmecks Orlando, Florida Member
    edited March 2010
    I could never finish Sonic the Hedgehog 2 without cheats. Without cheats, I have only gotten to the Metal Sonic fight twice, and to the final fight against Robotnik once. One day, I'll go back and beat it.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Darkside and World of Xeen. World of Xeen was made available by having both Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen and Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen installed at the same time. I finished Clouds of Xeen, but never finished the other two. I'm actually playing through Darkside now, having just finished Clouds (again). :)
  • ZadokZadok Ft. Wayne, IN
    edited March 2010
    I don't really have any games I regret not finishing. However I do have a list of games that I have yet to finish. These games will be conquered<cite>,</cite> it is only a matter of time.

FF III
    FF VI
    Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin
    Contra 4
    Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    Metroid Prime 3
    Okami
    Super Paper Mario
    Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    Crysis (and Crysis warhead)
    World of Goo
    Titan Quest

... You know, when I write this all down I realize that I have a lot of work ahead of me. I need more Saturdays.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Zadok wrote:
    I don't really have any games I regret not finishing. However I do have a list of games that I have yet to finish. These games will be conquered<cite>,</cite> it is only a matter of time.

FF III
    FF VI
    Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin
    Contra 4
    Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    Metroid Prime 3
    Okami
    Super Paper Mario
    Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    Crysis (and Crysis warhead)
    World of Goo
    Titan Quest

... You know, when I write this all down I realize that I have a lot of work ahead of me. I need more Saturdays.

I'd place high priority on World of Goo. It will only take you a few hours, but the experience is unique and very rewarding.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Any and all of the Legend of Zelda games. I have yet to complete a single one. The only ones I haven't started are Link's Awakening and Spirit Tracks.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited March 2010
    I'm being completely serious. This is not me trolling. This is not sarcasm nor a potshot at John Romero, but I totally regret not finishing "Daikatana."
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'm being completely serious. This is not me trolling. This is not sarcasm nor a potshot at John Romero, but I totally regret not finishing "Daikatana."

I think you are looking for the "games I regret having played at all" discussion ;D

Also I got to the last couple dungeons on Link to the Past and opened the wrong locked door first in the dungeon, requiring me to restart the entire game. I haven't built up enough regret yet to do that though.