IE problems

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited December 2003 in Science & Tech
I am having a couple of problems with Internet Explorer, and would welcome any suggestions on how to fix:

1) When I try to save a picture by right-clicking ans selecting 'Save Picture as...' the only option available to me is bitmap, with filename 'Untitled'. This is when I try to save any picture regardless of format.

How can I make IE allow me to save in the proper format for the picture e.g. gif??

2) I cannot use the 'View source' option. If I use either the 'View -> Source' option, ot 'View Source' by right-clicking, nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

~Cyrix

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    Sometimes the picture type you can save as depends on the image you are trying to save. For instance, if I click on your avatar, I only get the option of a PNG or a BMP. If I click on the ShortMedia icon up top, I get the option of JPG or PNG. Check yours on those two images and see what happens.

The view source problem - is that on every page, or just some....?

Perhaps a re-install of IE will fix you up.

Dexter...
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    No matter what the picture type, it only lets me use bitmap, with filename as untitled.

Also, view source is the same with all websites.

I know this sounds a bit noob, but how would I do a reinstall of IE?
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited December 2003
    try firebird

http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html

i love tabing:)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    EASIEST way is with an IE Administrator's Kit. There are two other ways, but have the files downloaded first:

Get an IE 6.0 SP1 from the system administrator's download area on Microsoft, download it. UNINSTALL existing IE in add/remove programs applet in Control Panel. Then install the service pack.

Second way, is to download an IEAK maker from the same place, tell it what you want, make an admin kit image, and then burn that image tree as a data CD.

Note, do NOT let Windows uninstall anything related to networking, especially your dialup networking or Network Connection.

Then again, you could what I did-- my box now has Opera 7.23 as default browser, and for IE only sites I put it in IE 6.0 emulation mode. (Yes, this is on the XP box and the Linux box). For non-IE only sites, it browses as Mozilla.... :D

John.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    <:rant:>
    Okay, why is it that instead of trying to solve the problem, people recommend other browsers? If the person wanted to use another browser, they would have asked, "Can anybody recommend another browser since IE sucks?" Answer the question, people!
    </:rant:>

Anyway, try emptying your cache. I found this on the MSKB referencing your first issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q260650&ID=KB;EN-US;Q260650&

//EDIT: Found this relating to your second problem. Sounds wacky, but it's worth a shot. What size is your cache set to?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Just had that fix given to someone on Hexus, it's silly that IE doesn't make space by removing the old files to let you save new ones though, isn't it.
    edited December 2003
    W00t! Thanks Mr Kwitko :thumbup, that solved both of the problems. My HDD just sat there deleting my cache for about 5 minutes - I never realised I had so much in the cache.

Time to increase the size methinks.

//edit Just checked my cache size, it was set to 2.3Gb!! I've put it up to 10Gb

~Cyrix
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    //edit Just checked my cache size, it was set to 2.3Gb!! I've put it up to 10Gb

~Cyrix

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Go the other way, especially if you're on broadband. Waaaaaaaaay too big! No need to have 10GB of cache. I have 100MB, that's it.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    You'll need a bit more that 10gb if you're trying to download the Internet :tongue:

Yeah, cache shouldn't be set to much more than 100 to 150mb.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited December 2003
    I have mine set to 75 MB.
    IE goes crazy if you give it too much room.
    Suddenly you are out of space.
    If do not provide it enough space it goes crazy too.
    I would never assign more than 150 MB to IE cache.
    It is a waste of space.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    I did try to help, in fact reloading IE would result in a fresh empty cache.

One other thing, in IE 6.0:

Sometimes you need to get rid of a lot of ad cookies to get things to go smoothly.

Seeting the cache to update automaticly lets IE compare things and decide in some cases NOT to grab the new page.

Setting IE to not save things for offline let it not make quite so many files backed up in cache.

I will be honest with you, one reason I use Opera is it DOES have a function to empty things older than a certain number of days from cache, other than that it does as well as Firebird at being Mozillaish and does fool sites that firebird hangs in (ditto Mozilla).

One other thing I like is having a Google search entry box right in the browser next to address bar, and if I right click the tab bar and tell it open new page first, I then have one page, like short media, open with a search result in new page, and can clcik back and forth.

If you like IE, stick with it, but Opera can be browser while you still use OE for email if you want, also. The other reason I use Opera, is it has identical keystrokes and menu use in Linux and XP-- for one that uses both these days, that is nice to not have to remember 2-3 sets of keystrokes. And Opera FTPs better than IE, so I do not need a separate FTP client software-- pause and resumable and restartable from scratch ftp or httpable ftp transfers, in a transfer window that opens automaticly.

You can use what you want, and I have used IE for many years, and Netscape (starting with Communicator version 1), since IE was in version 2, but like the things I mentioned about Opera. I DO use Thunderbird for email, and cut-n-paste links to Opera to hop for things I want to look at. The usual CTRL-C to copy, CTRL-V to paste, though I right-click a link and paste it with menu half the time. I do not use Opera's email client at all, and Opera does not even show the email in its sidebar-- which is closable like Mozilla's sidebar or IE's sidebar. Some folks use FTP a bunch, and for that Mozilla or Opera is more stable than IE-- especially when talking to the many Unix based FTP servers out there on the web these days. I host on a Unix-like server, and it happens to lioke Opera or an FTP client. I also have FTP Voyager, but my dev software, Quanta Gold, can talk to my site server also from Linux or Windows XP. And I like CTRL-Enter autologins also.

If you are not sure, try the free version of 7.23 of Opera, and see if it suits for things IE is not too good at. The one other thing I like is I can rerender sites in bigger or smaller sizes, in increments of 10% for the size steps I use. It can magnify a site up to 9 TIMES if you want it to, or show as littel as 1\5th normal size. And if you ahve a vision problem, you can set the browser to show at say 120% by default. I do not work for Opera, but do think they have one heck of a nice browser these days.

John.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    Kwitko Rocks :)

I use a 50 MB cache, and I clear it every couple of days. You never know who might want to snoop through your cached files....

Don't apologize for being a "noob", we were all newbies once...

Dexter...
    edited December 2003
    Right, have dropped the cache to 100Mb, I think I misunderstodd about setting it so high.

Ageek, I do have the free Opera and Mozilla installed for testing my websites, but to be honest most sites are optimised for IE, and also I like it. Don't know why, I just do.

~Cyrix
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    firebird > *

but, for IE, I set my cache to like 100Mb