Mouse is broken, time for a new one

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
My g500 is acting up (double clicking randomly), so I'm looking for a new mouse. I've yet to hear if logitech will replace it, but if they won't, I'll need to add a new mouse to my build as well. I really like the g500, but I greatly dislike the center scroll. Specifically, how difficult it is to middle click without scrolling. I was considering the g700 - does anyone know if the scroll wheel is similar?

Comments

• I've had so many people tell me how good the razer nagas are that as soon as I find one on sale it will be my next mouse. I've loved my mx518 for years, but it is finally starting to do weird things and I think it is time to move to something new.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Razer Naga, omgee
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Razer Naga, omgee

So you're saying I should walk into the store and say "NAGA PLZ"?
    ...yes.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I use the Cyborg MMO-7, and I pretty well love it. I can't really wrap my head around how having 12 buttons in a grid is very usable in the case of the Naga, and it doesn't seem like my thumb could handle all that jazz. Am I wrong?

I don't really have any input on the G700, though, which is what the question technically was. :P
    UPSLynx
    It feels unnatural at first, but after about 6 weeks of using the Naga, it was easy.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I haven't tried the g700, but I've been using the g9x, and the scroll wheel on that one gives you the option to turn free-spin on or off (unfortunately the button is on the bottom, so I just never turn free-spin on, even if I'm in a situation when it would help, I never feel like turning the mouse over to push the button). It also has on-the-fly resolution adjustment (for which the buttons are in a good place), two thumb buttons, variable weighting, and a couple different covers, so you can choose the surface style (either semi-rough, grippy plastic or shark-skin rubber. I use the sharkskin). You can also set up profiles for different games, but I've never messed with that feature.

I used to have the wireless version of this mouse (forget the model number) but the battery life went to shit, so Logitech sent me this one to replace it. I've been happy with it for the three years or so that I've been using it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Snarkasm said:

I use the Cyborg MMO-7, and I pretty well love it. I can't really wrap my head around how having 12 buttons in a grid is very usable in the case of the Naga, and it doesn't seem like my thumb could handle all that jazz. Am I wrong?

I don't really have any input on the G700, though, which is what the question technically was. :P

THIS. I've been using the MMO7 since I wrote that review a year and a half ago and I love it to death. More useful than that Naga's setup, IMO. More button/macro combinations than the Naga, and it's less confusing. Plus the software kicks butt. Don't be afraid to look into top shelf mouses from Cyborg/Madcatz - they're a FAR better company now than they used to be, and their stuff is serious business.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    I've had my hands on the G700, Cyborg, Naga and SteelSeries WoW. (Obviously. I mean I did write the reviews for both the Legendary and Wireless.)

I have not much opinion on the G700 - I wouldn't buy it, as I know Logitech has switched to lower quality components. Often mid-flight and without warning. Took apart two Performance MXes, totally different buttons (later one being much lower quality) and obvious cost-cutting across the board. I just couldn't trust it to last more than a few months, same as the much more expensive Performance MX. And it's completely unusable in wireless according to reviews and complaints.

The Naga's build quality doesn't even get up to 'atrocious' and the mandatory software is nothing more than spyware. Seriously, read the TOS. You have to give them permission to log all keystrokes, websites visited, applications run and upload them to Razer. And the build quality, my gods, the whole button panel rocking back and forth and rattling. And that pricetag - nope.jpg. Because let's overpay for confirmed spyware and hardware DRM and a device that doesn't even work right. I don't know how anybody in their right mind could recommend Razer unless they've been suckered in by the marketing. (But Razer is a marketing company and absolutely not a hardware company.)

The Cyborg isn't BAD, but I wasn't impressed at the pricetag. It was pretty underwhelming all in all, and the software didn't wow me compared to SteelSeries Engine. Granted, almost all of it's meh at best compared to Engine, but at a $110+ pricetag I expected higher quality everything. It's not anywhere near as bad as the Naga, but it's just.. not that impressive to me. Plus if you have long reach like me - octave + >2 - you'll find the thumb buttons awkward. Back one you'll have to rock with the base of your thumb or middle joint, or you have to over-reach for the front one. You really, really need to put your hands on it before you consider buying it. It very much does not fit everyone's hand, even with all the adjustment. The software isn't atrocious - it's actually good when compared to everything else out there, but I just... it wasn't enough. It's fine if you're only doing MMOs, but for anything else it just seems to be bad.

IMNSHO, you cannot do better than the SteelSeries though. Wireless is better than Legendary since the Wireless has Engine. The Legendary is fully programmable for any game and can auto-switch, but it's a HUGE pain compared to Engine. Unless you stick it on a buggy port, Wireless doesn't have any lag, any hiccups, any problems at all. It's pretty much 100% flawless in every regard. It's far more flexible WRT differing applications - I have macros and CPI settings for MS Word that autoload. And these things are tanks. I'm hard on mice (constant 18+ hour a day use) and other than dirt, they just won't break. The only real downside is that if you manage to hork up Engine, prior to early this year, driver screwups meant your ONLY fix was reinstalling Windows or doing regedit as SYSTEM. (Not Admin - ABOVE admin.) That's about 99.999% fixed with the later versions of Engine. (Of course I hit the edge case there.)
    Disclaimer: yes I wrote the review. And yes these are my primary mice. And yes they're good enough that I bought a second Legendary - would have been a Wireless but couldn't afford it.

Since you brought up the middle clicking thing, I'll tell you straight up, it is not happening on Naga due to how loose and inconsistent the wheel is. Logitech G700, just flat out forget it - those stupid buttons on the hump will continually get in the way. And yes, that's the 'free-wheeling' switch so double annoyance there. The MMO7, Legendary and Wireless have much better 'notched'/'clicking' scroll wheels so it'll be fine on any of those. If you look at the center-rear button on the SteelSeries, it looks like it gets in the way, but it's recessed into the curve on the Wireless (hit with middle joint on middle finger) and significantly lower than wheel click point on the Legendary.
    UPSLynxMAGIC
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I've never had issue with my G500 scrolling when I middle click. I've personally always been a fan of Logitech simply for their customer service and warranty policies though the main reason I've stuck with them is because their keyboards and mice are great (Though I'm also rocking the G930 headset, rather my second pair after a transporting accident on my end snapped the mic off)
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    I use the OCZ Behemoth, and love it. However, that could be quite hard to come by these days. For my laptop I use a Corsair Vengeance something and it's pretty decent. A friend of mine has a Corsair Raptor, and he's pretty happy with it, so Corsair mice might be worth a look.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    I've been using the G700 for a couple months and have loved it. There may be some consistency problems or something because mine hasn't had any problems mentioned in that review. I have no intention of gaming in wireless mode though so I may not have noticed any minor tracking problems there. I also have no idea how you hold your mouse if the middle buttons get in your way; I never even notice they're there.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I am seriously in love with the simplicity, solidness, and feel of the ROCCAT Savu.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    G500 here. I like it so much I bought another for my spare.
    RootWyrm said:

The Cyborg isn't BAD, but I wasn't impressed at the pricetag. It was pretty underwhelming all in all, and the software didn't wow me compared to SteelSeries Engine. Granted, almost all of it's meh at best compared to Engine, but at a $110+ pricetag I expected higher quality everything. It's not anywhere near as bad as the Naga, but it's just.. not that impressive to me. Plus if you have long reach like me - octave + >2 - you'll find the thumb buttons awkward. Back one you'll have to rock with the base of your thumb or middle joint, or you have to over-reach for the front one. You really, really need to put your hands on it before you consider buying it. It very much does not fit everyone's hand, even with all the adjustment. The software isn't atrocious - it's actually good when compared to everything else out there, but I just... it wasn't enough. It's fine if you're only doing MMOs, but for anything else it just seems to be bad.

Disagree completely on its usefulness being limited to MMOs. I prefer this mouse for shooters - ESPECIALLY with the button lock on left and right click. thumb placement for fine-aiming (especially when sniping) is great as well. This mouse has actually made me better at FPS because of the control it allows.

I do see what you mean about the thumb buttons though - did you know that whole plate can be adjusted forward and backward? I've managed to find a comfortable spot with my MMO7 that fits even my gigantor huge hands.
    RootWyrm
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I love my Naga. No build issues, buttons work great, been over using it for about 2 years now.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Naga. Lurve it, the numpad switch continues to find usefulness
    UPSLynx said:

RootWyrm said:

Disagree completely on its usefulness being limited to MMOs. I prefer this mouse for shooters - ESPECIALLY with the button lock on left and right click. thumb placement for fine-aiming (especially when sniping) is great as well. This mouse has actually made me better at FPS because of the control it allows.

I do see what you mean about the thumb buttons though - did you know that whole plate can be adjusted forward and backward? I've managed to find a comfortable spot with my MMO7 that fits even my gigantor huge hands.
    Okay, well, I'll definitely grant you FPSes as well though honestly the three non-programmables were a serious dealbreaker for me since that actually limits it's use in MMOs IME - but the multiple pages is supposed to make up for it on the same hand. It depends on your configuration preferences though. Gods know mine are anything but simple - I mean hell, I have a mouse button for ^Z. The Wireless only has the one pseudo-programmable (behind wheel, which switches CPI selection.) But it also doesn't have multiple pages, though you can use keyboard modifiers in game. (Sometimes. Some engines are stupid about it.) I usually toggle CPI for sniping and such though, and it works very well.

And yep - I played around with the plate a lot. Which is why I tell folks to put their hands on one FIRST. The problem folks with hands like me have isn't wrist to fingertip length - which the adjustment is primarily for. It's width. (I have the same problem on the SteelSeries, but to a lesser extent.) Trying to get three fingers onto anything more than 1/4" narrower than the SteelSeries is pretty much identical in visual appearance to say, watching you try to walk around low ceilings for a week without hitting your head. Not happening! B)

That's actually why you see me gripping most mice strangely, is because probably 99 out of 100 mice are too short, too narrow, or both. So I shift my middle finger to right click so I'm not cramped like all hell. (Palm grip obviously - claw is right the hell out.) And you really, really cannot do that with the MMO7 and use it as designed.

Though I suppose discarding those issues, my biggest concern/gripe would be with the price. It's nearly $115 - but it isn't wireless, and in terms of features really ends up parallel to the old $60 Logitech G5. (Which had adjustable weights and programmable buttons but not adjustable size.) The 6400/6400 DPI sensor isn't bad - certainly better than Naga's downright laughable 5600/100 - but it seemed to have inertia correction that was almost too aggressive. I just have a really hard time seeing how it all adds up to a pricetag equivalent to the SteelSeries Wireless and nearly twice the Legendary's price.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    I've migrated to the Naga Hex (My thumb wouldn't bend far enough for buttons 7-12 on the regular Naga)

It seems that logitech will be replacing my g500 under warranty, but i'm still going to get a new mouse I think. Maybe try to sell the rma'd one.

The hex looks more manageable for me, but I'd really like to be able to put my hands on the mouse before I buy it. BBuy only caries the 12 button naga. It's so hard to move away from logitech when I know how nice it feels in my hand :(. I'd consider the g400s, but for some reason it's more expensive than the g500.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Also a Naga user. Most natural feeling mouse I've ever put my hand on. As for the side buttons, typically only use a couple of them, most notably for PTT.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826254001

This is what I use. Im not big into buttons, I just need a comfy FAST mouse for SC2
    Ordered the naga hex last night, should be here today. Will use it for a bit and decide if I prefer it to the g500 or not.
    JBoogaloo
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    We should do a mouse-tastingtesting event at the next EpIC.
    RyanFodderprimesuspectUPSLynx
    @rootwyrm I do definitely agree on the MMo7's price. It's way higher than it should be. I think it's still worth it, but I can see why it's a barrier to so many when there are so many cheaper alternatives that are just as powerful.
    CB said:

We should do a mouse-tastingtesting event at the next EpIC.

Oh gods no. I'd never get my Wireless back then. :P
    Very happy with the naga hex. thanks for the suggestion, @fatcat

Guess I'll have a g500 to sell :D
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Razer updated it's Naga today with...mechanical thumb buttons! and some other things ;)

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga

I may get one
    JBoogaloo
    Only problem I'm having with the hex is that it doesn't like my glass mousepad as much as the g500 did.

Partially due to sweat making the pad reflective, but I guess I really just need a new mousepad.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    My Naga is wearing out after nearly 3 faithful years. Think I'll buy a hex as well. Any comment on using the 6 buttons vs the numpad?

I like to bind those buttons to PTT: is there any better methodology to that?