Let's talk about ASMR!

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. Decided I didn't care!

@Thrax introduced ASMR to @RyanFodder and I on Mumble a couple years ago, and I've become a big fan! For those who aren't familiar, ASMR stands for "Autonomous sensory meridian response" It refers to that tingly sensation you get down the back of your head/neck when you see something exciting-- sort-of that "I got chills" feeling you get when you watch the new Star Wars trailer, if you're me. Not much scientific research has been done into ASMR, but there's a lot of supporting anecdotal evidence.

Some people find that certain sounds can trigger that tingly ASMR response, which has lead to a large community on Youtube of ASMR video creators. These people create all sorts of different videos incorporating different sounds in order to try and elicit an ASMR response from you. Some of these videos are just lots of different sounds, and others are entire roleplays about different things.

I actually don't really get an ASMR response from any of these videos, but I still find a lot of the roleplays really soothing. I find they're useful in helping me go to sleep-- I'm less likely to be thinking about dumb stuff if I'm distracted by someone talking about giving me a facial.

I thought it would be neat if we linked some of our favorite ASMR videos and artists here! I'm always looking for new people to listen to. I'm pretty picky, though-- I only do roleplays and they can't have whispering, heh. I'm a weirdo who finds that the sound of people whispering makes me panic, which eliminates like....75% of ASMRs, heh.

It's generally recommended that you have decent headphones/earbuds on to listen to these. When I do them at night, I use headphones specifically for sleeping. These are mine and they're pretty okay.

Some of my fave videos and artists:

Jellybean Green is one of my faves. This is a nice short personal attention roleplay that she does:

Heather Feather is pretty well-known and has some great stuff. This is actually just a video of a bunch of triggers, to help you figure out what you like and dislike:

ASMRequests is also very well known and has some great stuff

The ASMR thing has kind of exploded, so the nice thing is that you can find pretty much anything you want to out there, with some pretty impressive production values. Do you want Galadriel to take care of you? Or eat at Bob's Burgers? Are you interested in reliving a gynecological visit? (NO) Anything you want, it's pretty much out there.

Share your fave videos with me!

BobbyDigibrightelyxandraStrikes

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:
    I find they're useful in helping me go to sleep... if I'm distracted by someone talking about giving me a facial.

-Digi

GnomeQueen
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2017

ASMR is life. I carry 20 of my favorites around on my phone so I can sleep on planes or in new hotel rooms. Some of my favorite ASMRtists include: WhisperAudios, ASMR Blossom, ASMRvelous, Stolentoilet, Poki ASMR, VeniVidiVulpes, ASMR Darling, Pigsbum53, softlywhispered, Bella ASMR, Whisper Crystal, Chelseamorganwhispers, Tingley Wingley, Ariel ASMR, Tiny Little Whispers and Mermaid Whispers.

BobbyDigibright
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

I cannot connect with this at all and am totally lost on how much ASMR has blown up in the past year. Hats off to you guys, but I just don't get it ?

primesuspectBuddyJ
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I tried getting into it a few years back. My god though it just felt like it was 80% girls whispering about nothing. IT felt so weird. It was weird.

GnomeQueen
  • elyxandraelyxandra St. Catharines, Ontario Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:
    It's generally recommended that you have decent headphones/earbuds on to listen to these. When I do them at night, I use headphones specifically for sleeping. These are mine and they're pretty okay.

I just discovered that I need to buy sleepy-time headphones.

My first experience with ASMR was during a family trip to Florida when I was 11. There was an exhibit at MGM about the art of sound effects which included an isolation booth with a pair of headphones. It put you in the position of a studio executive in his office talking to various staff and at one point, having a haircut. Those scissors sent tingles right down my spine!

I didn't know this had a name until ASMR started blowing up a few years ago. I haven't found any that trigger the tingle response, but I occasionally enjoy listening to them to help me relax before bed.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

The best are those artisan videos of Japanese Carpenters just silently working with hand tools the sound of of planers and the like are awesome. But alas see my previous complaint about ASMR.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Sidenote: if you're looking for something to help with insomnia but ASMR isn't your thing, I've heard lots of people recommend Sleep With Me. It's a guy with a boring voice who tells boring stories, heh.

I get ASMR during pretty much any apex moment in a movie trailer. It's cool.

• brightbright Icrontian

GnomeQueen
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I think I understand the feeling as it usually only happens with certain songs. It's a really difficult feeling to put into words. Maybe what I experience isn't even ASMR though. I listened to all of those videos in the OP, but none of them achieved that feeling.

@Sonorous said:
    I think I understand the feeling as it usually only happens with certain songs. It's a really difficult feeling to put into words. Maybe what I experience isn't even ASMR though. I listened to all of those videos in the OP, but none of them achieved that feeling.

If you listened to other triggers, you might find something else that does it for you, but I'm the same way, honestly. I get the "tingly" feeling from some music and some really thrilling movies or movie previews, but the only time I think I've ever gotten it from an ASMR video was one that featured cupping. (Cupping their hands over the mic like someone's hands coming over your ears). I just happen to like the role-play ones without the ASMR sensation.

• brightbright Icrontian

Referred to as tingles or head tingles, the same feeling may be achieved with a head massager.

@GnomeQueen

@Sonorous said:

You ever get that tingle in your head that races down your spine, causing you to shiver, when you experience an especially climactic seen in a movie? Like when Gandalf and the Gondor riders came over the hill in Return of the King? That's ASMR. It's the tingling/shivers/chill sensation.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Thrax said:

@Sonorous said:

You ever get that tingle in your head that races down your spine, causing you to shiver, when you experience an especially climactic seen in a movie? Like when Gandalf and the Gondor riders came over the hill in Return of the King? That's ASMR. It's the tingling/shivers/chill sensation.

I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones. Did a little reading on ASMR and I don't think I have experienced it. Maybe I just have not found a trigger yet.

So this isn't ASMR, but I have a new Youtube persona I've been following, partially because she's got a really lovely voice and accent to listen to. On top of that, she's really interesting and gorgeous! This is the first video I ever saw about her, and actually talks about why her voice sounds exactly like it does.

TushonLinc
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

That was informative and lovely!

GnomeQueenCrazyJoe
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Youngest decided he wanted to listen to "We Will Rock You by Queen" (his exact words). So I naturally obliged.

Dropped him off at the in-laws and blasted Queen all the way home.

Then Under Pressure came on and I almost had to stop the car. I have always loved the song, and I consider it about as close to perfection as possible. But it just hit me in the perfect way last night, especially as it hit the peak. Even just thinking about it to type this, it triggered all over again.

GnomeQueenBobbyDigi
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

I just rely on OMGWTFB. So now I just make sure the hotels I stay in have a bar. Schnockerd and snoozed works every time.

BuddyJ