Radeon 9800 Pro AIW graphic corupting

edited July 2009 in Hardware
I have a major problem, i cant play ANY games on my computer anymore, when ever i play a game within a few minutes all i can see is this kleidiscope looking effect even when i quit the game if i can. I have tried updating to 4.11 catalyst drivers but its still there, also running directx9.0c. I have also tried emailing ati but all I ever get is this stupid form letter :shakehead and no help, i have included a screen shot of what it looks like. So whats up, could this be my card overheating because it is hot to the touch, or what? :scratch:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    It may be overheating. Drop an upright fan next to your PC and see if it still does it.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    It may be overheating. Drop an upright fan next to your PC and see if it still does it.
    do that, and if that fixes it then you should go buy an arctic silencer or something
  • edited November 2004
    well i have what i guess you could call a desk fan blowing directly on to the card and it still does it :confused: . Also i was reading and people asked what people were running, well i am running a p4 3.0ghz, 1gb 433mhz, an asus motherboard and a Radeon 9800 pro.
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited November 2004
    did you install anything before the problem happened? could me maybe like a video codec or something like that that is screwing with yoru system. if you can try the card in another system and see if it has the same effect.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    i doubt any video codec would mess with the 3d graphics.

It could be just your graphic is dying

when my ti4600 is dying, graphics on games were corrputing like crazy, and couple days later, it finally died.

system would not boot with the video card installed, but good thing it was within warranty, RMAed it back to newegg, and got refund for it.

w00t!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Yep, don't bother any further diagnostics. Your card is dead. It needs to be sent back to where you got it from for an RMA. Sorry to bear the bad news, but it'll be faster for you to just get it done with and replaced :(
  • edited November 2004
    well then i have a couple of questions. first what would cause my card to do this, was it just defective? Second, i purchased my computer from a local computer builder that my work purchases from (but i did get the colored retail box for the ati 9800) and was wondering how would i return this, should i just go straight to ati? Oh p.s. i did get a response from ati and they just told me to send more info which i did, hoping that they re-respond soon.
  • edited November 2004
    oh also in response to the question about software, i believe the last thing i installed before it happened was Rome: Total War demo, that was the first program that started doing this.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Like cars and other complex devices, sometimes they just stop working right. It's unfortunate, but it happens. :(
  • edited November 2004
    well just to give an update, i recieved a response email from ati and they believe my card to be defective and i should send it in for waranty repair! i will again update you through out my ordeal! P.S. you guys were right, and this is a great forum for computer help!! :thumbsup:
  • corvinmsfcorvinmsf San Francisco, CA
    edited November 2004
    Just for your FYI, I experienced what sounds like the same problem you're having, and it turns out my ATi Radeon AIW 9800 Pro wasn't dying, it was getting electrical interference from either my cheap surge protector or my mini UPS unit.

3D games were working fine until for me until I reorganized my cables and moved both my surge protector and mini UPS closer to my PC tower case, which is aluminum with clear side windows. My best guess is that because my PC case isn't solid metal the contents are more easily subject to electrical interference. So, I tried moving both the surge protector and the mini UPS about 3 to 4 feet away and the corruption problem has totally gone away.

I just thought I should post this in case you receive your replacement card and start experiencing the same problem again. If you have any surge protectors, extension cords, UPS units, or even an electrical outlet less than a foot from your PC, try moving them (or in the case of an outlet, your PC). Of course, your milage may vary. . .

Good luck!
    edited November 2004
    Oops, one more thing. . .you mentioned you had a desk fan blowing on your PC. I've seen some weird things happen when fans are drawing power from the same outlet or power strip that the PC is drawing power from - monitors flickering, etc. You might want to try plugging the fan into an outlet separate from your PC and monitor, if possible.

:thumbsup:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2004
    ROFL that was caused by emi :eek:

get some sheiled cables ;D
  • edited December 2004
    GrayFox wrote:
    ROFL that was caused by emi :eek:

get some sheiled cables ;D

Well, i got my card back, same card same problem. So what were you saying about EMI? what is that, and what are sheiled cables, and could i fix it without buying anything?
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited December 2004
    ELectro magnetic interferience. Anything with electricity has this ans it can mess with your PC. Put your PC on the desk, away from anything, and give it a shot. Does it play for a minute and then start messing up or is it all the time? Just games? Could be the AGP slot...
  • edited December 2004
    yah, thats what it does, i can use my computer fine with surfing and stuff, but when i play a newer game, it freakes out, the only game it doesnt do it on is halflife the oriiginal and all mods. I guess ill try to move my computer away from all the other stuff, but what of this stuff could do it: Wireless mouse, speakers, printer, monitor, dock for pda, tv, wireless joystick, WIFI abd dsl modem? ( yah i know its a random list)
    edited December 2004
    Actually, the problem with my card turn out *NOT* to be EMI. I was playing EverQuest 2 for several hours and the graphics corruption started occurring again. The symptoms that occurred when I played this 3D game were:
    - parts of the screen would start flickering after some time
    - the flickering would rapidly get worse despite the fact that my system was still responsive and I could control my character
    - the rapid flickering would quickly turn into a full screen of what you previously described as a kaleidoscoping effect radiating from the center with an occasional multicolored checkerboard pattern appearing here and there
    - I was able to close the 3D game and return to a fully functional desktop, except there was still slight graphics corruption in the form of wavy vertical lines
    - a reboot would always remove the graphics corruption
    Catalyst driver updates/rollbacks did nothing for the problem, nor did flashing my motherboard’s BIOS.

The *GOOD* news is my ATi Radeon 9800 Pro AIW isn't dead. . .it's either simply overheating or there is a voltage issue with my PC.

I suspected overheating may be the culprit because the problem didn’t occur all the time. Sometimes I played 3D games for 10 hours a day with no issue and other times it would occur after playing a few minutes. The problem most frequently occurred when playing EQ2, but didn’t happen at all when playing Star Wars Galaxies. It appears that the latest 3D games (EQ2, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Far Cry, etc) are capable of driving the Radeon 9800 really hard and the stock fan that comes with the card is not able to keep it cool enough to function properly. As a quick check, the next time I started getting the corruption I put my hand on my PC case in the area of the graphics card and noticed it was much warmer that the rest of the case. My PC fans were all louder than usual, indicating they were working overtime to cool my system.

I ran a Google search on “symptoms of graphic card overheating” and found this link at the top: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/34179/. Of course, upon re-reading the first few posts to *THIS* forum thread, I now realize the problem has probably been staring me in the face. I guess I just didn't want to believe my card is overheating. :eek:

It seems that others have experienced this problem and resolved it by ordering a more advanced cooling solution (i.e. heatsink and fan) for their card. I’ve ordered an Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer revision 3 from NewEgg.com for about $21, including FedEx supersaver shipping. I was just advised today that it has shipped, so it should be here in a few days. You can see the item here: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-110&depa=0

This solution will require some assembly: I’ll have to take my card out, remove the fan & heatsink and install the new cooler. Also worth noting is that the fan will take up another PCI slot right below my card in order to exhaust the heat from the card out the back of my PC. In short, if you’re not comfortable installing this on your card and voiding your warranty with ATi, or if you don’t have a spare slot below your graphics card, this solution won’t work for you.

Please note that there are specific versions of this cooler depending upon the model number of the card you have. Since I have an All-in-Wonder version of the 9800 Pro, the only cooling solution for me was the unit I mentioned above. If you go this route, be sure to know your exact model of card and find the ideal cooler model from this site: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php. I believe NewEgg.com carries most models.

Also, my Google search revealed some utilities that might help you determine the temperature in your case and voltages while gaming and possibly even your ATi card’s temperature. These could help in diagnosing whether your problem is overheating or voltage issues. Everest is a free tool from Lavasoft that will poll the internal temperature monitoring chip on your motherboard and report the CPU and chipset temperatures in realtime. It also reports the fan rotation speed and the voltages of your PC components. I was somewhat shocked to find that when playing EQ2 my P4 3.06 GHz CPU temp went all the way up to 66 degrees Celsius (or 151 F!). You can download the tool here: http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

The other tool is called ATiTool and it was designed to help you easily and safely overclock your card. It has the capability of reporting your ATi GPU temperature *IF* you card has a temp monitoring chip. Alas, my AIW doesn’t have the chip, so I couldn’t use this tool to see what the GPU temp was when I started experiencing corruption. You can download this tool here: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/. IMPORTANT: if you have an AIW card do *NOT* use the 0.22 version of ATiTool as the website indicates it can temporarily disrupt the functioning of the TV tuner hardware on your card. You should download and use the 0.23 beta 10 version with an AIW card.

Sorry for the length :wtf: , but if you’re an avid gamer like me you must be frustrated with not being able to play games. :bawling: Thus, I wanted to be as thorough and helpful as possible. Hopefully you have the exact same problem as I do and a better cooling solution is the answer. I'm not sure how to diagnose voltage issues, but a Google search would probably help point you in the right direction. I'll be sure to report back to this forum whether or not the VGA Cooler resolves my issue, in case you want to "wait and see".

Good luck!

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
    1 GB Corsair 3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder
    Western Digital 250 GB HD
    Western Digital 120 GB HD
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 eX Platinum
  • edited December 2004
    thanks for taking all that time to try to help! :thumbsup: but my question is (since i am running almost the same exact same system) why could mine be doing that in old games to including BF 1942 which my system should run fine and did when i first got it! also, unlike yours, mine chrashes really quickly on all newer games, like within 5 minutes, and within less then and hour on semi older games! But to answer your question, YES its totally killing me not being able to play my favorite games, and its preventing me from buying HL2 just so i can prevent some heartbreak! lol
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited December 2004
    That card should be able to handle those games. Chances are that it is just getting too hot in there. Try the arctic cooler and see if that does it. If not, chances are that there is a deeper hardware issue than your vid card, if the old and new one do the same thing.
    edited December 2004
    I promise I’ll try to be more brief this time! :rolleyes:

Enk1du, your guess is as good as mine as to why your problem occurs within 5 minutes of firing up a new game. What kind of case do you have? A theory on this: if you have a small case with only a few fans cooling your system, your card could overheat fairly quickly. I have a Super Flower mid-tower aluminum case with two intake fans at the front, two exhaust fans at the back and one exhaust fan at the top, which seems to keep things cool for awhile. But with that 3 GHz P4 chip only a few inches away from my 9800, things get really hot in that area quickly when a recently released 3D game is running.

This problem doesn't seem to occur when I play older 3D games, which IMO points to an overheating card. The 9800, even while being eclipsed by the X800 Pro XL (which I'm drooling over), is still a beast of a card and should handle older games with ease. Thus, I wouldn't expect the card to overheat while playing older games. Then again, I haven't played any older games in a while.

Perhaps there’s a bug in the 9800 firmware that controls the fan speed, thus it doesn’t always maximize the fan rotation speed when the card heats up. But then if that were the problem I would have expected ATi to update the firmware when they serviced your card and it should be working fine now. The ATiTool I mentioned in my previous post will let you adjust the parameters so you can force the fan to spin at its max rotation when a temperature that is lower that the default is reached, but again this feature of the program only works if your card has the temp monitoring chip. Thus, it wasn’t an option for testing with my system.

As Justin mentioned above, there could be another issue that hasn’t been identified, which quite frankly would suck because I really wouldn’t know where to help you from here. :confused: One other problem I've noticed with my system is a very rare and random hard crash, which XP reports as a driver issue, but it is unable to identify which driver is the culprit. I suspect it's either Norton AntiVirus 2005 or Sygate Personal Firewall v5.6, as both use a driver and both seem to act up every once in a while. I haven't really tested this, and this is a stretch, but it's possible one of these programs may somehow contribute to the problem (i.e. memory leak, etc). Are you running either program? I will probably switch to TrendMicro's AntiVirus/Firewall solution soon as I've heard is uses less system resources and is really reliable.

Of course, I could end up getting the Arctic Cooler and finding out it doesn’t solve my problem, which puts me in the same boat as yourself. . .but looking at the symptoms I’m experiencing, I strongly suspect the Arctic Cooler is gonna’ make my gaming problems a thing of the past. :D And if it does work, I'll probably splurge and buy a better heatsink and SilenX fan for my CPU. That puppy cost me PLENTY and I don't want to shorten its life by running it hot all the time with 3D games.

My cooler should be here early next week, so expect another post on whether it appears to be working for me soon.

Cheers!

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
    1 GB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    Super Flower Mid-Tower Aluminum Case
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited December 2004
    the "driver crash" you are describing is really just a hardware crash in disguise. your card is running too hot
    edited December 2004
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The crash I mentioned doesn't occur when playing games. . .it's a random crash that sometimes will occur even when the desktop is coming up after a reboot. I've heard a lot of negative info on Norton AntiVirus 2005 (after I bought it, of course!), so I really think it is causing my random crash problem.

I was just going out on a limb suggesting that maybe its instability is contributing to the corruption issue as it's always running, even when you disable the realtime scan.

Cheers!

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
    edited December 2004
    Well, you won't have to wait for my results for long. . .my VGA Silencer just arrived from NewEgg. Whoo-hoo! That sure was fast as I just ordered it Tuesday morning!

Anyway, I'll be installing that badboy today, which will give me a good excuse to play EQ2 for 10 hours to see if it's working! LOL ;D

By the way, if you don't hear back from me it's probably because I destroyed my 9800 during the install. You'll also probably hear an earth-shattering scream coming from the general vacinity of San Francisco, CA too. . .

Cheers!

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
  • edited December 2004
    ok well ill keep my ear tuned in for that scream! :thumbsup: but i got ANOTHER not so helpful email from ati again and they said to install the new multimedia drivers for my card which i am downloading as i speak. But to coment on the whole heat thing, im not so sure anymore about that, first, when i once was able to save a game after it crashed and came back to it, the problem started immediatly, (tried this with HL2 demo, same thing) another is when i was TRYING to play Call of Duty to see how hot my card got, it crashed when the card was at what i think is a low temp of 47 C. So im not sure anymore, but i hope your problem is fixed with that fan!
  • edited December 2004
    Wow, that was an effective waste of time :bawling: , i am really getting tired of ATI's customer care and their round about messures, and their "its defective, NOT we just wanted to waste your time and money!" :shakehead lol

Update: just crahsed in Day of Defeat (HL 1), now officaly does it in all games)
    edited December 2004
    Sorry to hear your situation seems worse now. . . :(

I'm happy to report that the installation of the Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer was a piece of cake (the only real tricky part is applying the thermal compound without destroying the GPU). I've been playing EQ2 for the past 5 hours with no problems. It will take a few more heavy-duty playing sessions before I'm confident the problem has been resolved, but so far so good :thumbsup: (well, for me anyway). My PC is a lot quieter, too!

Frankly, given we're experiencing nearly the same symptoms, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a heat issue, although the fact that your problem seems to be getting worse doesn't exactly match what I've been experiencing.

Do you recall making any system changes before the problem started? BIOS flashes, a new piece of hardware or software installed? Justin mentioned the AGP slot may be defective, but then I suspect you wouldn't see 2D (or any) graphics if that were the case. . .
  • edited December 2004
    well, to answer that, the first time i experienced the problem was after i installed the trial from my PCG disc of Rome Total War. In game was the first time i had ever seen that, got continually worse from then on. :confused: Yah, i dont know about the agp slot, since all other things work fine, desktop and all other non 3d programs.
  • edited December 2004
    Update From ATI: I have just revieved another email from them, this time they think it may be an IRQ conflict! ... or my BIOS! man they cant make up their minds.

P.S. i am scared to death of both of thoose things, this stuff is getting above my head for computer stuff. lol, yah so any help would be appreciated!

What they said was to disable acip (SP?) (something that allows windows to manage IRQ settings) but when i disable it i cant figure out how to move my card to a free IRQ #, how do i do this? Also, how would i go about updating Bios in lamens terms for an asus p4p8x?

qucik question, in the ATI email, it says to check AGP BIOS, how would i go about doing this?
    edited December 2004
    Frankly I’d be surprised if it were a BIOS issue or IRQ conflict. Did ATi clarify which BIOS they were talking about? The BIOS on your motherboard or the BIOS on the ATi graphics card?

Since you’ve indicated the problem starting occurring on the Rome: Total War demo, unless you recall updating or changing parameters in your motherboard’s BIOS or installing new hardware into your PC I don’t see how either would have been altered to the point of causing your problem. That said, stranger things have happened with my PC before. . .

I don’t know what ATi is talking about when they say “AGP BIOS”. All references I’ve run across upon doing a Google search for AGP BIOS indicate this is the BIOS that runs on the graphics card. If this is accurate then ATi support should walk you through determining the AGP BIOS version and whether or not there is an update for your version.

Before you do anything else, I would try this simple change first as it has been reported to resolve issues with 3D game graphics corruption on Asus motherboards (for some people anyway). You’re going to change the “Graphics Aperature Size” to 64 MB if it has been set to some other value:
    • Reboot your PC and when it starts up press the “DEL” (delete) key.
    • After a minute you should be taken to a screen with text graphics. This is BIOS menu.
    • Use your arrow keys until the “Advanced” menu item is highlighted near the top.
    • Use your arrow keys to move down the Advanced menu to until “Chipset” is highlighted and press enter.
    • Look for “Grahpics Aperature Size” on the list and look at what it is set to. If it is set to anything other than 64 MB, change it to 64 MB by using your arrow keys to move down until the parameter next to the Graphics Aperature Size is highlighted and pressing the + and – keys to change the value. Press the F10 key to save your changes and follow the prompts. Your system will then reboot.
    • If it is already set to 64 MB this fix won’t work for you. Exit out of the BIOS menu by pressing the Esc key and do not save your changes.
    Try playing a game and seeing if the corruption appears. 64 MB is the default setting, but some system builders change this to match the amount of memory on your video card. If your ATi 9800 has 128 MB of RAM, your system builder may have changed this value in BIOS.

If you want to update your motherboard’s BIOS, you need to visit Asus’s website and download the latest BIOS version. Go here, http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm, choose your motherboard from the list, then click on the Downloads link to the left of the page. The latest updates will be displayed first, but you can choose the “BIOS” link near the top of the page to see all the BIOS versions. You want the latest version of the BIOS for your motherboard. It is *VERY* important that you download the correct BIOS file as an incorrect version can cause problems. To update the BIOS, you’ll need to consult your motherboard manual. If you motherboard supports “EasyFlash” (I believe all modern Asus boards do), you just need a floppy disk with enough space to hold the BIOS file (typically about 512 KB). Consult your motherboard’s manual on how to perform the update. You can download the manual if your system builder didn’t give you one (or if you can’t find it!).

**Be advised that updating my motherboard’s BIOS did nothing to resolve the graphics corruption problem with my ATi Radeon 9800 Pro AIW**.

Regarding ATi’s suggestion of disabling ACPI in Windows, I don’t know much about this. First, I would use Microsoft’s System Information tool found in Windows XP to see what IRQ your 9800 card is using. From within System Information, expand “Hardware Resources” then click on IRQs. Scan the list on the right until you find your graphics card, then note the IRQ number. See if any other items on the list are sharing the same IRQ along with the 9800. If so, ATi is saying that it’s possible the other device(s) on that IRQ may be causing the problem, and putting the 9800 on its own IRQ may resolve your problem. Actually accomplishing this may prove to be tricky, so try the Aperature thing I suggested above and see if that does anything for you. . .
  • edited December 2004
    Im having the same Problem but mine is weird dont think its todo with overheating ok here gos, i got a ATI9800 SE had grapical currption when playing games thought the card was broken sent it back and ordered a ATI 9800 Pro 128mb got it yestarday put it in im having almost of the problem but this time im not getting the small dots and artifacts what happens is i can play Doom 3 full for hours and hours works fine same with need for speed under ground all day if i like and will work fine. as soon as i go to play americas army i can play the game for like 40mins or so then start to notice grapic break up and sometimes it totaly crashs like that screen shot that was posted lines on the screen sometimes can drop to desktop and restart. same with when i play battlefeild VT, played it for 10mins jump in a helicopter flying around then bang screen full of coulor full lines and PC game stoped reponsding.

PC specs
    AMD 2600+
    1024 PC2700 DDR
    PS 450w
    2 harddrvies
    1 dvd rom
    ATI 9800 pro

Thinking it could be a driver problem? using the lastest ones so dont see why thinking about cleaning the drivers and trying the cards stock ones.