The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I feel the need to share that my Nexus 4 and $30/month T-Mobile plan gives me quite a solid boner.
    PirateNinjaTushonJBoogaloo
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    mertesn said:

fatcat said:

1. Will there be any kind of major performance difference between the two CPUs?
    2. Will there be any significant battery life advantage for one over the other?

I can imagine there will be very little difference in immediate performance as things stand right now. But I think it might have a slightly longer "useful" life in comparison (though how much is yet to be seen).

I do think that the battery life advantage may be hit or miss for the first few months. The battery is actually pretty big and removable, a huge plus for me.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    octa-core is just gimmick....there are two processors in sgs4 both are quad core...the phone relies on first quad core with A7 architecture for light use like apps and multitasking...when u play games and use phone heavily it switches the load to A15 quad core processor....
    also this is what I got on my dual core snapdragon CPU running at 1.9Ghz

edited March 2013
    @mertesn I can't imagine the 1.9GHz quad-core Qualcomm not being able to handle anything thrown at it, and with proper governors it being able to last the day. also the battery is removable, and I'm sure there will be plenty of extended ones on the market.

I still want a Sony Xperia Z though ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I get about two days on Snapdragon S4 Pro with 3-4 hours of screen-on time. Heavily optimized third-party CPU governor.

I imagine Exynos big.LITTLE or Snapdragon 600 wouldn't be far off.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I was looking forward to the S4, but it really depends on what the battery life is. I honestly might swing back to the Droid MAXX just because the battery life is ungodly.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Battery life for Exynos5 or S4 Pro will both be really good. The regular S4 was the most power-efficient mobile processor on the market when it dropped.

The big thing with battery on Samsung phones is the [S]AMOLED[[F]HD][+] screens. Moving to darker themes and keeping brightness down (most people can run at something like 30% just fine) makes a massive difference in battery life.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Heavily optimized third-party CPU governor.

Which one? I'm using pegasusq with NOOP scheduler.
    TiberiusLazarus
    Faux Kernel with intellidemand gov, snakecharmer SMP optimizations and turbo boost.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    Anyone thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy S4? My contract is due for renewal in August and from what I've seen so far it's going to be a great phone.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    The S4 is an iterative of the S3, which is a very solid phone, even now at a full year from launch.

Outside of waiting for updates, the S4 should be no different.
    edited March 2013
    This week I'll be updating this with the S4, LG's new 1080p phablet, a few Xperia devices, and whatever else seems particularly salient.

//EDIT: HTC One = salient
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    @Thrax yes please on updated info for the HTC one. My jail broken phone, no matter how awesome, is not going to last me forever :(
    Okay, here are the devices I plan to add:

HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S 4, Sony Xperia ZL and the LG Optimus G.

Anyone want to see something else?
    any reason for ZL over Z?
    I <3 Phablets. I'll add the Z.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I got my GS4 a week early, Thrax is slacking on his reviews!
    Thrax is lazy.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I am a proud owner of the Lumia 920 and I love it.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    The White Nexus 4 has been added to the google play store. If you order the White Nexus, you get a white bumper for free while supplies last.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    The Galaxy S4 is also coming as a Nexus Phone on June 26. It will be $649 and work with T-Mobile or AT&T.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    bright said:

The White Nexus 4 has been added to the google play store. If you order the White Nexus, you get a white bumper for free while supplies last.

You also get a black bumper with the black Nexus 4. Not sure how I feel about the bumper. It's kind of nice when holding the phone, but it make clipping it into my universal car mount difficult.
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    Waiting patiently for the Nexus 5 and KLP. Last rumors I read said Oct/Nov.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    The Galaxy S4 as a Nexus Phone is kinda like a Nexus 5. The HTC One is also coming as a Nexus phone on the 26th at a $599 price tag.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Very anxiously awaiting the Xperia Z1 on T-Mo... That will be my next phone.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Nexus 5 is likely going to be announced in October, probably on the 14th.
  • but... but... but... I just got the Nexus 4!

:(
    midgaTushonJBoogaloo
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2013

Very anxiously awaiting the Xperia Z1 on T-Mo... That will be my next phone.

Xperia Z1 is now available for purchase in the USA as an unlocked phone directly from Sony Mobile. Or at least, that's what was reported... it has a "preorder" button. Still, there's some news for you @primesuspect. Perhaps a nice little self-gift when you return stateside! :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I've seen it all over Europe, but it's almost $1200 which is absurd. I'll wait until I can get it on T-mo for $25/mo 0% APR. Thanks though!
    JBoogaloo
    Z1 msrp is $649 US.