The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Sprint knows I'm leaving them, or why else would they send me a $100 off voucher to upgarde my phone?

$99 LG Optimus G (Nexus 4)
    $199 Samsung Note 2

FFFFUUUUUU Sprint and your teasing...

./rant
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Argh... using 4G to run my laptop... and I've used almost 50% of my 4GB plan in about 1 week.

I really wish T-mo was available in Dubuque. I did just get 4G in Dubuque though.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    The only two Note 2 cases I've found that meet my requirements:
    1) Covers screen
    2) Access to all buttons regardless of cover position (sadly, most flip-covers don't meet this)
    3) Can stand phone in landscape position
    4) Camera lens does not protrude beyond the cut-out for it (hard to tell in pictures, but most seem to meet this)

(Boxwave Leather Book Jacket)
    (Bear Motion Premium Polio Case) (lol polio)

I realize they're almost identical. Leaning toward the Boxwave as the company presents itself better. Really, I'd prefer more options, so if someone knows of other cases that meet these requirements, I'd appreciate a mention.

There's also this one, but I can't decide whether it would stand up or not. Probably not.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Ugg, those leather book things are pretty ugly. I saw a lot of those when I was looking for cases, but went with this $3 case that is like an ultra-cheap Otterbox. I've been meaning to add a review to Amazon, but for now, I can confirm it does items 2-4 on your list.

I'm not too concerned about it covering the screen, since the rubber sticks up a little from the sides. If I have any close calls, I'll get a plastic screen cling. I figure any flip covers would be even bulkier and add more steps to using the phone.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    I don't regret spending the moola for the OEM flip cover from Samsung . It isn't dificult to master operating to use and is as clean as it gets since the back replaces the original phone back.
    @Gargoyle The screen cover is partially because I carry a Note in my pocket as well (work phone), and the lettering on the back is apt to scratch screens (I realize I can get a stick-on screen protector, but my experiences with those have been sub-par). Already have one little one that makes me very sad :( At the price I might try that one out, though. How is button access?

@Mt_Goat I /did/ really like the look of the OEM, but the way it's designed makes it look like the volume buttons would be really difficult (or impossible) to get to with the cover closed. I like to be able to turn my music up/down in my pocket. I guess I could always cut away that portion of the hingeflapthing... Also, it doesn't appear to work as a portrait-view stand.

I agree that those "leather" things look like rectal ejections, but they seem to be the only ones that do what I need. =/
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    midga said:

@Gargoyle The screen cover is partially because I carry a Note in my pocket as well (work phone), and the lettering on the back is apt to scratch screens (I realize I can get a stick-on screen protector, but my experiences with those have been sub-par). Already have one little one that makes me very sad :( At the price I might try that one out, though. How is button access?/

Just an anecdote: my InvisiShield by Zagg was AWESOME and I applied it myself. Just have to be really careful when you do it to make sure and eliminate bubbles before anything "sets".
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    midga said:

How is button access?

"Meh." Volume is fine, but I struggle to hit the power button, and it usually takes me a couple tries. Part of that is the teeny design of the button itself. Not a big fan, and putting rubber over it doesn't help. Focused, deliberate attempts work every time, but I wish I could do it more reliably by feel, subconsciously, without looking.

Luckily I can wake with the face button, and it's only my gadget OCD that makes me want to turn the screen off manually.

Stylus, usb, and headphone access is no prob.
    @Tushon I can't remember who I got the one for my Captivate from, but I had a real problem with the edges gradually picking up lint and stuff. I also didn't have problems with my search button going off on its own until I put it on, but that's simply correlation and may be entirely unrelated. I might be giving them another go, and if I do I'll check Zagg out, but it's not my top solution.

@Gargoyle I'm gonna give it a shot, mostly cause it's $6 after shipping and that's totally within the realm of reasonable experimentation cost. If nothing else, I can leave it in my luggage and use it for helping it pretend to be a movie screen or alarm clock in hotels.

Thanks for the help, y'all :)
    edited February 2013

android - check
    1080p - check
    waterproof - check
    SDXC slot (128GB) - check
    XDA involvement - check
    4G - check
    quad core - check
    wifi N - check

443 PPI - UNF!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    pretty nifty
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Damn, that is really swank
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Wait... Wait. Hold the fuck on. Is Sony actually not going to be perpetually 12 months behind everyone else?

//EDIT: To ameliorate this post's "major asshole" quotient, I'd like to say that I would happily own this phone.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    edited February 2013
    Snarkasm said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

I present the most awkward "hands-on" video, ever

also...

• HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    Android 4.1? Why?
    Hydrar said:

Android 4.1? Why?

it will have 4.2 soon after release.

Sony is already providing Alpha builds and kernels to XDA

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/an-official-alpha-release-with-kernel-source-who-does-this-sort-of-thing/
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    O_O sexy
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Note: Those are the chips shipping in smartphones now. APQ8064 is Nexus 4, for example.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Why the hell is that video playing automatically?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Didn't for me. Which browser?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Yea, look at the date in the link Feb 14, 2011 - 2 years old.

FireFox 18.0.2 and it played automatically for me.
    edited February 2013
    bah i posted the wrong link.

the video is FEB 11, 2013

edit> link fixt
    edited February 2013
    this is the year of PPI and I love it

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one/?cid=email_promo_HTCOneAnnounce_cta_HTC#specs

468 PPI UNF. Too bad it's got that HTC shitastic sense

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    fatcat said:

Too bad it's got that HTC shitastic sense

AOSP.

TiberiusLazarus
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    fatcat said:
    My contract with Verizon is coming up at the end of the year. I have a Galaxy Nexus with unlimited 4G, and in order to keep that unlimited data I'll have to buy unsubsidized phones and never sign another contract with the company. In OKC Verizon's coverage is best and fastest...AT&T kept dropping calls when standing still in my house and their call quality was random. Sprint is kind of a joke here. It's great where it works but it doesn't work everywhere. T-Mobile's coverage is ok, their prices are good, but their speeds aren't as good.

I'll admit one of the GS4 features that has me the most interested is the IR transmitter. I love my Harmony 880 remote but if I could use my cell phone to do the same thing, I could see this phone replacing it easily.

There are two possible CPUs for the phone: the 1.6GHz 8-core (big.LITTLE) Exynos and the 1.9GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600. The US will only get the Snapdragon CPU...

1. Will there be any kind of major performance difference between the two CPUs?
    2. Will there be any significant battery life advantage for one over the other?

As long as the phone gets me through the day with my normal usage patterns, I'm fine with having to plug in every night...that's what I do right now anyway. I also keep a 12K mAh battery pack in the car in case of a charging emergency.

If the Exynos CPU is better I could see importing as long as it works with my carrier of choice. Right now that's Verizon so I'm probably screwed :/
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    My contract with Sprint is finished, but my wife had another year. I would love to go to Verizon now and take the S4, but I might wait it out until 2014 for the S5.