Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010

I'll remote into my machine at home and get this a-rendering! I till probably reder without lighting(so no shadows, everything will appear as if it being hit with max sunligh), which will make it go much faster. I'll post again when it's online(a few hours).
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Many thanks once again to both Alex and Tony. I especially appreciate the backup distribution. It's fun to look around the world and try things without worrying about permanent consequences. Like, "if I light this log here, will it catch my neighbor's place, orchard, fireworks store, etc on fire? No? Good. What about if I lit it here? OH SHIIIIIIIIIII, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Regarding how much we're building and exploring. The 2 backups I made so far are roughly 36 hours apart. The ZIP from Saturday is 146MB. The ZIP from this morning is 179MB. That's 33MB of changes in ~36 hours. Or almost 1MB of changes per hour.

That's pretty awesome.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    That could partially be due to me getting extremely lost and turned around in the northern part of the server.
    edited December 2010
    Would anyone be interested in an organized expedition? I was just thinking about how cool would it be if we got 5-10 of us, all packed up some supplies we'll need to survive (food, armor, torches, some building supplies, bucket of water, COMPASS, etc), each jumped into a boat, and set sail in hopes to discover a New World!

If there's enough interest, how's Thursday at 10pm Eastern (7pm Pacific) sound? That gives a couple days to prep, and a time that most people should have off without being too late. I created a separate thread titled "The Great Icrontic Voyage Expedition", or project GIVE, for further discussion and information.

UPDATE: moved to Thursday to avoid conflict with IC TF2.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Snark, your avatar hurts me deeply. No literally, like in my brain.

:D

It's delightful.

I resent having my kitchen cabinets censored. :P
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    ...Wednesday at 10pm Eastern (7pm Pacific) sound? ...

LOEI... No

-Digi
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Minecraft or trading hats... hmmm....
    edited December 2010
    Went ahead and edited the file to exclude signs, which makes the various zoom levels load slightly faster. So now there's two versions:

No Signs: http://sota.llarian.net/Icrontinent/nosigns.html

With Signs: http://sota.llarian.net/Icrontinent/index.html

These will load on mobile phones with JavaScript, since it's built off of Google's maps API.

Looks like the maps are updated. My eastern adventure path is showing now :-P

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Minecraft or trading hats... hmmm....

Oh I forgot, because Thrax doesn't want to play, it shouldn't exist. (rolls eyes)

-Digi
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Trollface_HD.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I'll remote into my machine at home and get this a-rendering! I till probably reder without lighting(so no shadows, everything will appear as if it being hit with max sunligh), which will make it go much faster. I'll post again when it's online(a few hours).

http://sota.llarian.net/Icrontinent/

New version of the map is online. You'll note that there is a bright, bright section to the east (north is in the lower left corner of the screen). Those chunks are the new stuff since the last map. I change the rendering settings to make it run faster. The existing map was cached in the rendered, for speed, which is why you still see shadows and such in those chunks. I will probably rerun everything from scratch after Alex puts up the next backup.

And on that note, Alex, if you come up with some sort of regular backup plan, I'll tie my map generation into that. :)
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Looks like the maps are updated. My eastern adventure path is showing now :-P

-Digi

Updated indeed. I also went on a pretty long expedition to the east. I was probably farther south that you were though. I think that's how we ended up with the small gap of ungenerated chunks. Hah!

And I'm definitely interested in a group expedition of some sort! Prag and I had talked about doing that very thing about an hour ago.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Tony, can you change where North is?

Once very nice creation that can't be seen in these maps is Mt. Icrontic that Joe carved out. It faces south and has a mountain behind it, therefore you can't see it at all unless the camera is actually facing north.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:

Once very nice creation that can't be seen in these maps is Mt. Icrontic that Joe carved out. It faces south and has a mountain behind it, therefore you can't see it at all unless the camera is actually facing north.

I honestly don't know if the map orientation can be changed. I'll look into the code that generates it and see if it can be monkeyed with. I'll also look into the other google maps style renderers to see if there is that option.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I love how you can scout pumpkin patches with the map viewer :3
    edited December 2010
    I honestly don't know if the map orientation can be changed. I'll look into the code that generates it and see if it can be monkeyed with. I'll also look into the other google maps style renderers to see if there is that option.

I'm going to give Tectonicus a whirl when I get home from work. I just did a test render on a 1,500 chunk test world here at work, and you can get a better level of zoom as well as being able to choose the orientation of the map. SO that's awesome.

We just have to decide what that orientation should be. I'm inclined to have North be in the top left corner, Northeast be top center, East be in the top right corner, and so on, as that's the default for Tectonicus and looks pretty nice. Having North be at the top kind of defeats the purpose of an isometric map(and pretty much makes it NOT an isometric map), so I would advise choosing that as an option. I'll probably start the render on this at about 6 p.m. EST tonight with the defaults unless I hear an outcry to the contrary. :)
    edited December 2010
    cola wrote:
    I love how you can scout pumpkin patches with the map viewer :3

Pumpkin, clay, surface lava, the whole nine, really. :)
    edited December 2010
    Oh crap, forgot about Wednesay TF2. Voyage moved to Thursday. Sorry about that.
    edited December 2010
    I agree, north as top-left corner of the map would be ideal. Top-right would work too, but top-left like you recmmended just makes more sense in my mind.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I just light forests on fire anyways.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Tectonicus is pretty cool. Except our world is 14.4GB, sorry I won't be uploading it.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Tectonicus is pretty cool. Except our world is 14.4GB, sorry I won't be uploading it.

Holy balls bejezus, that's huge. Beyond XBOX and Cola's Rock huge. I don't understand how a map could be so damn big. X_X
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Holy balls bejezus, that's huge. Beyond XBOX and Cola's Rock huge. I don't understand how a map could be so damn big. X_X

I can confirm the size. At about halfway through the render, the directory was about 7 gigs. Heh. It's because Tectonicus uses high-quality PNG files. I knew there was going to be a hit in using it, but I wasn't expecting such a large set of files. I should be able to put it online, I think, but it will be a day or two to get it all uploaded. I probably won't use it very often, if ever again, until the developer gets the file sizes under control. Overviewer will have to do, unless someone else wants to take a whack at it. :D
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, screw Tectonicus if it's unbearably huge. Go ahead and upload it if you'd really like to, just to demo what our place would look like in SUPAH HEUGE HEIGH-REZOLUSHIN. I'd love to see just what made it so big, if only once and then have it deleted after a few days.

Meanwhile, I'm perfectly content with what you've been using so far, Tony. Yes, it's a bit disorientating, but I just look at where spawn is in relation to ICtown, and that sets my bearings.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:

It's cool, if we can't change the map, I'll just have to build a bigger and better one...
    edited December 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    It's cool, if we can't change the map, I'll just have to build a bigger and better one...

Or just rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. ;)

I'll give it a go getting the Tectonicus version online, but if that doesn't work out, I'll rerun Overviewer on the next version of the world as soon as Alex makes it available. :)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I am so loving these server socket errors where I get kicked and lose 360 glass blocks...................................../cry
    edited December 2010
    Final totals on the Tectonics render of the Dec 13 backup of the world:

20.4 gigs total disk usage

58,590 files, and about 5 hours to render. Hah! But oh what a glorious map it is!

http://screencast.com/t/hkICwBQr7Sv

That's the center of town at max zoom level. And you get that kind of detail for the ENTIRE world. :)

I have a different texture pack installed than the default, so that's why blocks look a little different. :) I'm using Misa's 64x pack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=73861

I'll see about getting this online overnight. No promises though. :(
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I resent having my kitchen cabinets censored. :P

Those are MY cabinets. I never wore that hat at your place. :p
This discussion has been closed.