Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Final totals on the Tectonics render of the Dec 13 backup of the world:

20.4 gigs total disk usage

58,590 files, and about 5 hours to render. Hah! But oh what a glorious map it is!

http://screencast.com/t/hkICwBQr7Sv

That's the center of town at max zoom level. And you get that kind of detail for the ENTIRE world. :)

I have a different texture pack installed than the default, so that's why blocks look a little different. :) I'm using Misa's 64x pack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=73861

I'll see about getting this online overnight. No promises though. :(

Could your 64x pack possibly be the reason it's taking so long, and getting so big?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    CB wrote:
    Could your 64x pack possibly be the reason it's taking so long, and getting so big?

That was my thought. Since you're rendering 16x the data using your texture pack, I imagine it might run quite a bit more efficiently if you reverted back to standard 16x16 before the mapping.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I used Tectonicus yesterday, it has nothing to do with the texture pack installed.

See my post above:
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Tectonicus is pretty cool. Except our world is 14.4GB, sorry I won't be uploading it.
    edited December 2010
    That's right. I saw that, but it got lost in the shuffle in my brain when texture packs got mentioned.

Saw nobody was on this morning, so I did a stop/start and another zip. Another 11MB in just over 24 hours.

I'll be interested to see how big the save file gets after Wednesday night's planned expedition.

Will update with link when the upload to S3 finishes.

Upload finished: https://s3.amazonaws.com/AlexDeGruven_Minecraft/Minecraft-12-14-2010.zip
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'll be interested to see how big the save file gets after Wednesday night's planned expedition.

Yeah no kidding.

Also, to avoid confusion and remind people: the expedition has been pushed back 24hrs to Thursday, so as not to compete with IC TF2 (which I also play in, d'oh, how could I miss that?).
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Those are MY cabinets. I never wore that hat at your place. :p

Wow, exact same ones then :P
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010
    That was my thought. Since you're rendering 16x the data using your texture pack, I imagine it might run quite a bit more efficiently if you reverted back to standard 16x16 before the mapping.

It may or may not have anything to do with it. I may give it a go with the default pack at some point, but I was already halfway through the render when I realized I had 64x textures in. I wasn't going to stop it midway through. Heh.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Yeah! Leaf Decay should be back next update!

http://twitter.com/notch/status/14720794206670848

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Yeah! Leaf Decay should be back next update!

Thank Gaming Jeebus, that has been driving me nuts. No more floating bushes!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Thank Gaming Jeebus, that has been driving me nuts. No more floating bushes!

You can always just use flint and steel to light the leaves on fire.

*trolldichoke*
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Im game for an expedition. Also great job on the maps guys. our IC town is looking awesome!
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    *snort*

after what I've seen in here? You wouldn't get me within 20 miles of this game.

Hey Prime there is no drama whatsoever just fun gaming!! ........:eek3:
    edited December 2010
    Aaaaaaaaand after taking about 18 hours to upload ~60,000 files, I give you...

http://sota.llarian.net/tectonicus/map.html

North is in the TOP LEFT corner.
    edited December 2010
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    Hey Prime there is no drama whatsoever just fun gaming!! ........:eek3:

That's right, we save all the llamas for the threads outside the game.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    ardichoke wrote:

*trolldichoke*

That's what I do. Fire is pretty!!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    It's how I cleared all the miscellaneous leaves over top of DickKeep that were spawning creepers. Now if only I could get rid of those wooden blocks that are floating up there =/
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    ardichoke wrote:

*trolldichoke*
    Feast your eyes on my glorious forest fire. South from the space ship till you see the little cactus castle.
    edited December 2010
    In my own personal opinion, as long as you guys are burning responsibly and making sure the fire can't spread into a neighbor's forest/cabin/whatever by making a clear-cut wall, I don't mind in the least if control burns are being made. Remember, you need at LEAST 3 blocks of air separating leaves of two trees so they don't spread fire, and preferably 5 to be safe.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    *sigh* RIP giant waterfall tree, we'll miss you
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Yeah it was a it looked like 3 that was really 2 in one spot situation. I'm slowly clearing the forest fires and replanting some as i go.
    edited December 2010
    cola wrote:
    *sigh* RIP giant waterfall tree, we'll miss you

You could always get a ton of wood log blocks and re-create it. Build it better. Make a massive trunk tree. Then you can make another series of dick jokes. :P

Huh huh huh, wood.

Then take a pic of it with the sun rising in the background. Presto chango, you've got morning wood.
    edited December 2010
    Looks like home is having some connectivity issues today. So getting bounced from the server seems like it will be pretty common. I'm working on stabilizing it. Or at least ensuring that the problem isn't on my end.
    edited December 2010
    CB, you can't break minecart track and put a piece of glass in just because you want a window there, it stops the minecart. ;D

I fixt it.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    CB, you can't break minecart track and put a piece of glass in just because you want a window there, it stops the minecart. ;D

I fixt it.

Wasn't me!

Unless I accidentally did it from below while building the underoad... I've been putting skylights in the the middle of the road, assuming that no track is layed there...
    edited December 2010
    Yes, it was one of the skylights, at the corner that turns back west on the IC mountain road.
    edited December 2010
    :wtf: Double post.

Also, the minecarts that power the west station were missing, anyone know anything about that?
    edited December 2010
    I don't know anything about assist-cart thefts... but does anyone know if minecarts and boats remove themselves from the game? Either because they have a random decay rate, or glitch out, or anything? I read boats used to do that, but they seem to be persistent now.

I would like to think people would leave the assist carts alone, but... if it continues to be a problem, I could donate glass or fences and we could build a glass/fence wall around the carts. You could still see in to ensure the carts are there and working, but nobody could mess with them as easily. I've seen other people do this (have a back room to house the assist carts that the pressure plate summons, so they're out of the way and can't be tampered with).

Of course, walls also protects against critters and people from cutting through and accidentally stopping the assist carts from doing their continuous loop. But I don't consider any of the necessary unless you think it's a good idea too.
    edited December 2010
    In SP, I have had carts randomly disappear from unloaded chunks. I imagine it's relatively similar, since a chunk will drop out of RAM if it isn't used after x amount of time.
    edited December 2010
    You can't seal it off, you have to leave a place for the cart to go through and therefore a person can walk through.

I don't see it as an issue, I was just asking :)
    edited December 2010
    In SP, I have had carts randomly disappear from unloaded chunks. I imagine it's relatively similar, since a chunk will drop out of RAM if it isn't used after x amount of time.

This has been my experience as well. I've noticed the booster carts at Grand Central stopped on occasion. I always give them a shove if need be, though.

Something to think about is the Minecart Mania! plugin for hey0.

http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=1944

I've used it extensively in single player and it is FANTASTIC. You can great reduce the size of minecart stations, make gold blocks useful, and do some really interesting things in general. I would LOVE to see it used on the Icrontic server.
This discussion has been closed.