Q&A for you "I've been out of PCs so long, I don't know where to start" people

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Hardware
I know there are a lot of people who have been away from enthusiast PCs for so long that it seems daunting to get back into the game, but the game has never been better!

So I'm creating this thread to answer any and all questions you have about the current state of building PCs, HTPCs, SFF PCs and more.

I know you have some, so lay it on. :)
ยซ13456

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    1. Do games and other programs need to be installed on the same partition as the OS to run on Windows 7 and if not is it as simple as telling them to install on the other partition?

2. If the answer to question one is no then how are programs affected by reinstalling an OS?

3. Where can I download a car?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    If I want to build a tiny - and I mean tiny, we're talking like an OG XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive - HTPC that can handle optical 5.1 digital audio, HDMI, 1080p high-bitrate MKV decoding, what are my best options in the current or near-future time frame? I'm not against building my own enclosure, but bonus points for recommendations. This design implies onboard graphics are a must, external power bricks are practically required, and fanless/low speed heat dispersal is ideal. Any thoughts, or are these just pipe dreams?
    edited July 2011
    And Canti, no, things don't need to be installed to the same partition. Sometimes things like save files will still be put on the C: drive by default, however. As for OS reinstalls, it depends usually on the program. If I tell Steam to reinstall to the E: drive, it picks up everything just fine and goes on. Other things are less get-up-and-go. The important part is that you ensure that all your documents, saves, settings, etc get saved in the wipe. Programs can always get reinstalled, but data can't always be replaced.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    1. Do games and other programs need to be installed on the same partition as the OS to run on Windows 7 and if not is it as simple as telling them to install on the other partition?

No, they do not. You can install virtually any game and app to whatever partition or hard drive you want.
    2. If the answer to question one is no then how are programs affected by reinstalling an OS?

Despite the fact that apps/games can be installed anywhere, sometimes they put critical files or registry settings on your Windows partition, which means they're wiped out after a reformat. If those files are toast, apps get cranky. Learning which apps do this is trial and error, but today I only have one app that won't run after a reformat w/o reinstall: Office.

Steam, however, and every game it installs, will happily survive a reformat. Just make sure to back these folders up before reformatting (seriously, just type them as you see them into the my computer address bar):

1. %userprofile%\documents
    2. %appdata%
    3. %localappdata%

Put the data from these folders right back into those directories after reformat.
    3. Where can I download a car?

ThePirateBay.
    edited July 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    If I want to build a tiny - and I mean tiny, we're talking like an OG XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive - HTPC that can handle optical 5.1 digital audio, HDMI, 1080p high-bitrate MKV decoding, what are my best options in the current or near-future time frame? I'm not against building my own enclosure, but bonus points for recommendations. This design implies onboard graphics are a must, external power bricks are practically required, and fanless/low speed heat dispersal is ideal. Any thoughts, or are these just pipe dreams?

Why must it be optical digital audio, when HDMI is sufficient to carry 7.1 digital audio? Riddle me that and I will have answers.
    edited July 2011
    I currently do not run a receiver, and most TVs do not pass through 5.1 audio when fed via the HDMI - they only pass 2-channel. Optical goes to the speakers, HDMI to the TV in my setup.
    edited July 2011
    Most modern TVs do. Are you sure yours doesn't?

The closest thing will be the AMD E-350 version of this product. It won't have optical (pretty much nothing does with HDMI these days), but it will do VC-1/H.264/H.264-MVC/Xvid/DivX/MPEG-2 @ 1080p/30 with certified bitrates up to 25Mbps, perhaps as high as 40Mbps. The form factor will be the same, and it has a small external power brick, roughly the size of one you'd find on a netbook.

In other words, you probably don't have any HD content that the E-350 version of that product won't be able to decode. It'll be out very shortly, afaik.

You'll be able to get it with or Without windows preinstalled, and the MSRP I'm told is around $400.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    What is bulldozers release date? Will AMD finally reclaim its rightful place on the throne that day?

What??? I had to try.....
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Snark|Thrax,

I thought I read somewhere only HDMI 1.3 does 5.1, HDMI 1.2 and lower downmix to stereo

Cliff,
    No (sorry)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    It sounds like Intel's next enthusiast chipset, X79, and the associated LGA2011 processors probably won't be out until Q1 2012. That sucks, because I was hoping to upgrade my home rig to the latest hotness around the same time Skyrim releases.

Given that I do need to do something about that aging Celeron, what is the most future-ready platform to go with based on what we think will be available in October? My only requirement is a chipset/board that supports two x16 PCIe for Crossfire. "Suck it up and wait until Q1 2012" is probably an acceptable answer.
    edited July 2011
    wait to Q1 2012 cause LGA1366 is the only Intel platform for two x16 AFAIK

Garg, I got a E7200 I'll sell ya dirt cheap if you want
    edited July 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    It sounds like Intel's next enthusiast chipset, X79, and the associated LGA2011 processors probably won't be out until Q1 2012. That sucks, because I was hoping to upgrade my home rig to the latest hotness around the same time Skyrim releases.

Given that I do need to do something about that aging Celeron, what is the most future-ready platform to go with based on what we think will be available in October? My only requirement is a chipset/board that supports two x16 PCIe for Crossfire. "Suck it up and wait until Q1 2012" is probably an acceptable answer.

AM3+ and Bulldozer will be the only platform that fits your description for being the most "future-ready." All other sockets that will be available at the same time are slated to be replace in < 12 months. That said, a little waiting to let the landscape play out never hurt anyone.

//EDIT: The prevailing rumor is also that X79 has been pulled back into 2011 at the expense of USB3 and PCIe Gen 3, neither of which are a big deal in any regard.
    edited July 2011
    What is bulldozers release date?

Between June 30 and September 30. ;)
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Between June 30 and September 30. ;)

BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!.... wait
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I'm gonna revive this thread in a year so when I have money to rebuild my desktop.
    edited July 2011
    remember, 88mph
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Great thread, trying to keep up with all the numbering/offerings is incredibly painful. You'd do well pushing this fact to your team - it's seriously daunting to even attempt to get back into 'the game'. With no proof, I almost guarantee an uptick in sales if you were to convince AMD to 'dumb down' their offerings. The Good, Better, Best mix is so goddamn confusing for both Intel/AMD right now.

Are the Fusion board/CPU/GPU combination plates essentially Intel Atom on crack? Would these be best served for everything the internet/Netflix could possibly throw at you with minimal gaming? (aka the parent/girlfriend build)
    edited July 2011
    Not trying to turn this into an explicit AMD thread, but I'll address it:

There are video cards every $15-20 from AMD and NV because the market demands it. It is price sensitive beyond belief, at every step of the chain. Even $5 will literally make or break sales on GPUs, and everyone has a different idea of the "right price." Both companies would actually sell less by "simplifying."

That said, AMD's basic formula is simple:
    1. Within a product family (e.g. 6000 Series), higher number ALWAYS = faster.
    2. For gamers, the formula has gone unchanged for nearly two years: #700 = good, #800 = better, #900 = best, #990 = dual GPU.

And for NVIDIA, it's pretty similar. For gamers: #60 = good, #70 = better, #80 = best, #90 = dual GPU.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    You have to understand that from the outsider's perspective that looks like an arbitrary and confusing mess, though. 6? Why 6? (Rhetorical; I know why, but Joe Consumer doesn't), etc.
    edited July 2011
    Precisely, while what you say may be true with regard to price sensitivity, the barrier to entry for building a new computer seems so unnecessarily high it's crazy.
    edited July 2011
    There are three categories of people:

1. Joe Consumer. The Best Buy people.
    2. Your average Icrontian. A geek, but not an enthusiast.
    3. The enthusiast.

The studies bear out that only #2 is grumpy over the model numbers. Enthusiasts are so inside that they just know it, and Joe Consumer understands that higher = better, but it's that #2 that's a stick in the mud.

There have always been model numbers, and there will always be model numbers. So what is it about this group that causes the ruckus?

I've always wondered if it isn't a little bit of resentment for "glory days lost." A lot of group 2 used to be enthusiasts that let their hobby slip away. They think it used to be simpler, but really it never was.

Just go back and look at any product family as far back as the Radeon 8500. That was the heyday of Icrontic's technical prowess, right? You'll see there are just as many products (if not more) than there are now. Same for every generation that came after. Same for NVIDIA, too. So what actually changed? Nothing but the buyer who gave up a hobby, stop keeping up, and stopped understanding.

I'll leave you to hypothesize.

//EDIT: Added some details.
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I'll leave you to hypothesize. :)

Nice try, makeshift marketing panel starter.
    edited July 2011
    yes, bring back the Pro, XT, Superclocked names plskthx

(sits in grumpy #2 corner)
    edited July 2011
    also, model numbers blow ass

especially intel

i5-2300, i7-980X, i3-2120

Joe sixpack says bigger number is better...

I won't even try to figure out AMD
    edited July 2011
    Ok, back on track:

I'm starting to look at bang for my buck with heavy gaming, currently BF:BC2 and GTAIV tax my 2GB/6320/5850 C2D setup.

I'm under the impression, though, that there are few upgrades that are really worth the money. Since I'm so budget conscious, I hard time bringing myself to purchase new equipment when 98% of games are supported by my hardware. Halp! Gaming on 1 24'' monitor.
    edited July 2011
    get 2 more 24" monitors and (if you are a tight-ass with your wallet) 6850 CrossfireX

I always recommend 6950 CrossfireX though

wait, are you like using ONBOARD and a dedicated GPU NIGHTS?

also, GET MORE RAM FFS
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Back in Icrontic's technical heydey, we still had these discussions bitching about the idiocy of model numbers.
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    get 2 more 24" monitors and (if you are a tight-ass with your wallet) 6850 CrossfireX

...that's nearly the exact opposite of budget conscious.
    wait, are you like using ONBOARD and a dedicated GPU NIGHTS?

No, 5850 as stated above.
    also, GET MORE RAM FFS

From what I can tell, hardly anything utilizes enough RAM to warrant the purchase. Plus, since this chipset is already end of life'd, it find it hard to shell out the cash for another stick of RAM when I know it's ultimately not worth the trouble.
    edited July 2011
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Ok, back on track:

I'm starting to look at bang for my buck with heavy gaming, currently BF:BC2 and GTAIV tax my 2GB/6320/5850 C2D setup.

I'm under the impression, though, that there are few upgrades that are really worth the money. Since I'm so budget conscious, I hard time bringing myself to purchase new equipment when 98% of games are supported by my hardware. Halp! Gaming on 1 24'' monitor.

To be fair, the games you cited were designed for the Xbox 360 (a 5+ year-old custom Radeon card), and then ported to the PC with little modification. It's no surprise that your system can handle them: the games were built for hardware of your era.

I think if you tried to play some newer DX11 titles with reasonable detail settings, you'd feel the pain very quickly.

As for upgrades:
    Intel: Core i5 2500k + Gigabyte motherboard based on the Intel z67 (preferred) or P67 chipset.
    AMD: Phenom II X6 1090T + Gigabyte motherboard based on the AMD 990X (preferred) or 890X chipset.

Upgrades being "worth the money" is extremely subjective. Modern DX11, and many DX9 games, are punishing on older hardware with all but low detail settings. I personally buy hardware that will let me crank everything up, because I get grumpy when it doesn't look the best that it can. Others are happy with muddy textures and jagged edges, and bewilderingly think it looks okay. Whatever, to each their own, right?

There is a prevailing belief (which you implied) that a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad is still a fine CPU choice. It is, if you're happy with console ports or low detail levels. If you're not, you'll find newer generations of CPUs are considerably faster, on the order of 2-3x when paired with a modern DX11 GPU.

For example, a game like Metro 2033 @ 1920x1080 (24" monitor) with medium detail settings and 4xAA/8xAF is murderous on GPUs.

Graphics and games have come a long way since 2006, even from one generation to the next. As an example of that, the $300 Core i7 2600k is 15-30 FPS faster than the $1000 Core i7 980X, which has more cache, 2 more CPU cores, and a higher base frequency. Seriously. Pick any game, and that bears out. A product that's 1/5th the price of its predecessor, with "inferior" specs, beats it to a pulp, and absolutely shames everything else Intel has previously made, to boot.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

//EDIT: And Greg is right. 4GB is the barrier to entry these days. 2GB is not enough for a Vista/7 OS, and still had tangible, significant benefits on Windows XP. It tapers off around 6GB, but even 8 can be beneficial for very high-texture games.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Build new rig and fold. Then turn old rig into just a folding machine. Glory!