Q&A for you "I've been out of PCs so long, I don't know where to start" people

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Radeon vs. FirePro. One does games well and DCC poorly, the other reverses it. They share roughly the same features, as FirePro is a superset of Radeon.

If you're looking for something more specific...
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    If you're looking for something more specific...

Oh, uh... to clarify, I added a three-paragraph third question in my first post above, comparing the two cards I actually possess with what I need in a computer, and a couple questions. Maybe you missed it as I edited it in while you were answering the first 2 questions.

I'd copypasta it here, but... well, you can just scroll up to it. :crazy:
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    Regarding RAM, 16GB would be tits. I'll look into your 4x4GB DDR3-1600 recommendation. If it's too much, I'll probably go with 8GB.
    16GB will set you back $115+ depending on the route you take. I have a couple of these kits in one of my systems: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184. Currently two of those kits runs $118. I also have one of these kits: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429 that sells for $115.

Regardless of what you decide on, it needs to be emphasized that the new memory controllers prefer 1.5V or less. Doesn't mean that 1.65V won't work, just that it's not recommended.
    edited August 2011
    He's another set of question: motherboards.

Q1: What features and things should one look for when selecting a new motherboard? What is essential for a motherboard to have these days to make it a worthwhile purchase, and what is just extra fluff that may be nice to have, but perhaps not worth the premium price?

Q2: What are the top three brands do you trust most for AMD boards? What about your top three for Intel? Everyone has their brand of choice, but a few different options would be nice. On the other hand, who should new builders avoid like the plague?
    edited August 2011
    Q1: The chipset and the manufacturer. The rest comes along for the ride. The current premium chipsets for AMD are the 990X (better) or the 990FX (best). The current premium chipsets for Intel are the Z68 (better) or the X58 (best).

Q2: Gigabyte. For everything. At any pricepoint.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That seems a little disingenuous, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

I've had good experiences with EVGA and Gigabyte, heard good things about MSI, had a bad experience with Asus.
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the info and advice so far, everyone. It's been a real help. :D
    Thrax wrote:
    Gigabyte. For everything. At any pricepoint.

I'm used to hearing mixed thoughts whenever Gigabyte motherboards come up in tech conversations, so I'm puzzled. I trust your word, but what exactly makes Gigabyte so worthy of the Thrax Stamp of Unyielding Approval +6?
    edited August 2011
    Gigabyte sucked before 2004, when they introduced the legendary GA-P965-UD5. That was their first Core 2 Duo motherboard, and it was incredibly good. The quality has never slumped since.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I have three ASUS motherboards running right now. 680i, P45, and X58.

I'm sure Gigabyte is good, I just HATE their color scheme right now.

61gZEg8gWZL._SS400_.jpg
    so ugly.

contentteller.php?ct=news&action=file&id=353

so sexy. and it matches AMD Radeon HD's ;)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I'm with fatcat. Black PCB's are pretty much the only thing I want in my showcase PC. Gigabyte is actually starting to release some boards with black PCB's with the cool monochrome color scheme that ECS has been using on some of their top boards.

A990FXM-A.jpg

Come to Papa!
    edited August 2011
    So I started shopping for parts, and I hit a roadblock: Power supplies, one of the most under-appreciated PC components out there.

My preliminary search was... overwhelming, to say the least: an intimidating mountain of similar black boxes. Any tips on what to look for in today's market? Trustworthy brand names, features...

Personally, I have no current plans of having a dual-GPU setup (as tempting as SLI is, trololol), so I'm guessing a 450-750W PSU would be plenty. I'm more concerned with reliability and efficiency as I need power that I can trust. Also, modular designs are a must; I hate cable clutter.

I'm hoping to narrow things down to 3-5 options, and then take the plunge.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    So I started shopping for parts, and I hit a roadblock: Power supplies, one of the most under-appreciated PC components out there.

My preliminary search was... overwhelming, to say the least: an intimidating mountain of similar black boxes. Any tips on what to look for in today's market? Trustworthy brand names, features...

Everything you will ever need to know about PSUs can be found here. This is THE source for accurate, factual, correct information about PSUs. The rest remain as pretenders to the crown who lack SunMoon ATEs (much less EE degrees.)

Because "manufacturers" source PSUs from other companies, and that source differs between models and between model lines, you can't make a blanket recommendation based on any manufacturer.
    edited August 2011
    In case you want any more variety than fatcat is showing: 80+gold/silver/bronze, good brands, nice warranties available

edit: fixed per suggestion below
    edited August 2011
    Tushon, take all those multiple +12v rail PSU's off that list and okay

SINGLE +12v rail. End of story
    edited August 2011
    Thanks again, everyone. :D

So right now, I'm looking at the Corsair AX750, which is like the HX750 but has a gold efficiency rating. Not sure if the AX (gold) is worth the premium over the HX (silver rating), but it intrigues me. Edit: after considering rebates on both Corsair PSUs, the AX is only $10 more. So unless there's no real difference or the HX is actually the better one for whatever reason, I'd just get the AX.

I'm also looking at the NZXT HALE90-750, mostly based on Nick's glowing review and because I like NZXT as a company.

I'll decide later, but at the moment I'm a little torn between the two. Or three, if you consider the gold vs silver rated Corsair PSUs.
    edited August 2011
    the AX750 is newer and has the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards.

it also has 2 more amps on the +12v

both are excellent PSUs

and these days with MIR's I don't factor getting them ever back anyways

the TX850M is $149 and is 850 watts, just FYI
    edited September 2011
    It's been a while, but I have a couple of new questions.

I was wanting to wait for a Bulldozer desktop CPU, but unless someone can correct me (please?), it seems like they don't even have an officially announced release date yet, much less coming out anytime in the next few weeks. And I can't wait any longer; I need a desktop workstation, stat.

Question 1: I'm looking at the Gigabyte AM3+ mobos right now. Are these AM3+ boards going to be fully compatible and take full advantage of the Bulldozer CPUs when they release, or are these current AM3+ boards only half-assed and new boards will release specifically for Bulldozer CPUs? (if that doesn't make sense, let me know)

Question 2: what current-gen AMD processor do you recommend? I don't need top of the line, but hopefully the current-gen are going for good deals these days. I'm thinking about the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, unless someone knows of a CPU that offers better bang for the buck. I'm all ears.
    edited September 2011
    Q1: Anything using a 900 Series chipset will be ready. That's 990FX, 990X, and so on.

Q2: The Phenom II X6 1090T is the best balance of price/performance. It's also the cheapest easy-as-hell-to-overclock model.
    edited September 2011
    Thrax to the rescue. Thank you so much! :vimp:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    These use the 990FX Northbridge:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=3996,3900,3891,3880

The detail pages for each talk about a BIOS flash needed for each of them to run AM3+ and FX CPUs. The update allows the BIOS to recognize the new serieses.

The logos above on the detail pages show that if you are strpped for cash, you can use an AM3 series CPU (but not a series AM2 or AM2+ socket needing CPU) and save some money now and upgrade later when the AM3+ CPOs drop in price as the FX series becomes popular.
    edited September 2011
    Here is a link to some info about one of the mobos on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509

Some things to note-- this is a mobo tuned and built for overclocking with a three year warranty. It is a newer revision chipset that can handle 32GB RAM.

Link to a Newegg bundle including AMD CPU and the mobo linked to above and 4GB x 2 G.Skill RAM and a 60GB OCZ Agility SSD drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.679885
    edited September 2011
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

I see what Thrax meant by the Phenom II x6 1090/T being the best price/performance ratio CPU-- the page above is on Newegg, which has a $10.00 off promo code good until 9/13/2011 on it also, and free shipping. Price after promo code: $159.99 USD. For techies, this is a Black edition Thuban.
    edited September 2011
    Sweet! Thanks for the tips and links, Straight_Man. :D
    edited September 2011
    Welcome. ;D

FYI: The board I chose has two PCIe x16 slots, and supports SLI AND crossfireX. The memory support is 8GB x 4 slots(max) divided into two channels (dual channel) with two sockets per channel-- the sockets each support DDR3 2000+ MHz Dual Channel memory(the verified memory compatibility list is 3+ pages of pdf). This is a rev. 1.2 board (I tend not to buy rev 1.0 or 1.1 boards).

Now to budget for a new build-- hard to do for me.
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    Everyone should be using, at least, DDR3-1600 for the AM3/AM3+ platform. It's the best balance between price/performance, and little benefit is gained beyond that speed grade.
    edited September 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    for $10 more, step up the speed to 1600, instead of 1066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Um, the slower one has CAS latency 7 and timings of 7-7-7-10. The faster one runs at CAS Latency 9 and timings of 9-9-9-24. Do the slower timings somewhat cancel out the raw speed difference?

EDIT: I did not see Thrax's post about using 1600 minimum until after I hadposted my question.