Q&A for you "I've been out of PCs so long, I don't know where to start" people

12346»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    No desktop platform on the market today cares about timings. Raw bandwidth wins. CAS latency is dead.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    No desktop platform on the market today cares about timings. Raw bandwidth wins. CAS latency is dead.

Okay, thanks.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Well, well well... 3 months and several headaches later, and here's what I've decided to use for my rig of awesome.

Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600
    GPU: SAPPHIRE FleX Radeon HD 6870 1GB DirectX 11
    Primary Storage: Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III
    Secondary Storage: Intel 320 Series 80GB SATA II + Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
    Chassis: Sentey Burton Extreme Division Tower Case
    PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
    Optical: Samsung SATA DVD burner from old rig

My thoughts: I really wanted to go AMD, but after months of painful waiting Bulldozer just didn't do it for me. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the future, but for the next few years I'm trying out Intel. And no, I don't feel like waiting longer for Ivy Bridge, regardless of its purported sexiness.

I had a much larger budget than I had back in 2005, so I picked up some goodies such as the 2600K and the Kingston HyperX. I wanted the G.SKILL DDR3 1866, but the 1600 had a much better price point and put the money I saved into the Intel 80GB SSD.

Eventually I'll probably pick up a second HD 6870 for CrossFireX goodness.

Black Friday and rebates definitely helped along the way.

So... your thoughts? How did I do for being rusty at building rigs?
    edited November 2011
    Quite good, I'd say. :) Though I'm confused as to why you have two SSDs picked out.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    2>1

Come'on Thrax, you know that

(I would like to know also(SSD))
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Also, cases are a personal thing and all...

but that case is fugly man...

for $100 I can think of 5-7 better cases (airflow/3.5 hdd/ssd)
    edited November 2011
    I didn't even look at the case. Yes, for the money, there are MUCH better cases from a performance perspective.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    2 SSD's: I picked up the second Intel 80GB on impulse, as it was only $70-ish thanks to Black Friday and a rebate. I may use it in a HTPC instead, whatever.

Though I was wondering... could I use it in conjunction with the 2TB WD Black as a cache drive for a Intel Smart Response tech setup? If so, then so totally doing it. I could keep my huge Steam games on the 2TB and (supposedly) get a nice boost on load times.

Burton case: I admit that I would have strongly preferred a NZXT Phantom, but already had the Sentey Burton from when I received one to review it. Sure it's not the prettiest, but I like it enough to use it. And it kept me within my budget. Maybe a future upgrade.

I also have a NZXT H2, but it doesn't have enough airflow for what I'm wanting.