SM-Bytes idea!

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited February 2004 in Community
I was driving home last night and I had an inspiration, if you could go as far as to call it that. What if instead of having just one new SM-Byte after the other, every week or so, i.e. when it is manually updated, why not create a 'refresh rotation algorithm' paired with a basic 'stack' system? What I mean is, it would be great if each time you load up SM, a different SM-Byte comes up. Say a small pool of the latest and greatest could be set to random upon refresh and all the maintainer would have to do is simply add new ones in his own time and delete outdated ones at his leisure. This way, there is something different to read every time you visit the site.

I mean my own personal website has this system, in the form of a randomly rotating selection of pictures upon each refresh of the main page. If I can do it, then I guess it wouldn't be too much hassle for the coding monkeys over here to implement right?

Comments

• NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I have no clue how to do it but like ya said someone is bound to know how. I'm sure Shorty could figure it out.

Norge
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    [php]
    $motd = $DB_Site->query("SELECT pagetext FROM post WHERE threadid =2089 ORDER BY rand() LIMIT 0 , 1");
    $smbytes = $DB_Site->fetch_array($motd);
    $smbytetext = stripslashes($smbytes);
    eval('$smbyte .= "' . fetch_template('smbyte') . '";');
    [/php]

Took me 35 seconds to write the code necessary ;)

Il just wait and see if anyone else wants this or thinks this is a good idea :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Yes it is!
  • edited February 2004
    Yep, I agree, it is a good idea.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Go with it. I like the idea. :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Very good idea. Maybe have each expire after X number of days and just keep inputting new ones. Store the expired ones in a file, and periodically update the SM Byte thread... :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    GREAT idea... Glad I though of it.... I mean glad I thought of aying it was a good idea...
    edited February 2004
    Actually, it will work like this...

It will pull from the short-media bytes archive thread. It shall just be renamed. When we don't want them anymore.. they just get deleted :)

It's also efficient for the db and for Vbulletin :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    i like it i like it.
    edited February 2004
    Seems to be popular ;)

Il test it later on to make sure it formats correctly and so on, then Il just make it live :)
    edited February 2004
    Tis done :)
  • LincLinc
    gets back from refreshing forums 10 times :bigggrin:

You know what this means, don't you? Supermods can add bytes now too :cool2:
    Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    gets back from refreshing forums 10 times :bigggrin:

edited February 2004
    That is so cool.. Excellent work, shorty m'man.... :thumbsup:
    edited February 2004
    /me gets back from refreshing forums 10 times :bigggrin:

We shall see ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I don't like it.

Random irrelevancies like the Athlon 64 coverage keep cropping up.
    edited February 2004
    Thrax, you're fired from the internet. Please turn in your badge and keys at the front desk.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I turned those in weeks ago. Your jackasses up in payroll keep me here. :range:
    edited February 2004
    Damn idiots.. I'll have their heads for this.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2004
    Thanks Dan'. Nice work! I'm going out for a drive again later, I'll see what else I can come up with. he he. ;)

EDIT: Also, just noticed the link in the SM-Byte about PCMark04, is dead. The link should be amended (to the latest version from the downloads section) or that Byte should be removed.

EDIT 2: The SM-Byte text could do with being 1 or 2 sizes larger as well.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I have removed it for now until we get a new link for it.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2004
    I have removed it for now until we get a new link for it.
    Cool, well I don't think it really needs to be an SM-Byte anymore, but here's the link incase you want to update it. http://www.short-media.com/request.php?170
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    I like the idea overall, but I've noticed a few SM-Bytes which probably should be removed from the rotation. There was one in particular that caught my eye, it referred to planned downtime which happened months ago.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    A thread with cleaned up bytes that we want in the rotation would be the best way to do it.
    edited February 2004
    I have removed a couple of the out of date one's (we can always put them back if we need to ;) )
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    Hey I like it! Had to refresh the main page several times to test it out and I've been getting some good ones. heh heh.

Norge
    edited February 2004
    Erm, Shorty... its pulling deleted threads into the bytes.
    edited February 2004
    Il fix it :)
  • SpinnerSpinner
    cracks the wip
    Damn right you'll fix it! he he ;):D
    Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2004
    cracks the wip
    Damn right you'll fix it! he he ;):D
  • edited February 2004
    This delay I just read as the SM Byte... is it real, or the one from a month or two ago?
    edited February 2004
    month or two ago...