Four day Zero to Hero Online D&D campaign in June

sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian

Hey friends,
In honor of Expo 2020 being the lost year, I thought what's stopping me from running a D&D game online anyway this June for my IC folks. Then I convinced myself that while a 4 hour one shot was fun and all, it wasn't really epic. Been there done that. Go big or stay home. So I got to thinking...

For those interested having some grand fun this June, I am offering to run a Zero to Hero campaign over four nights, Thurs - Sun, 4 hours each night. The campaign is called...

IC on the High Seas, a pirates tale

So get your best pirate accent in shape, roll up some canon fodder, and get ready to cast a sail to the winds of the Rumrunner Isles in search of treasure, adventure, and lame pirate jokes as the crew of the cutter YetToBeNamed make for a pirate friendly port*.

*Resemblance of NPCs to existing IC members intentional and covered under fair use Parody laws.

What is a Zero to Hero Campaign?
Each player starts with level 0 characters on Wednesday for the Gauntlet. The character that makes it out of the Gauntlet on Wednesday advances to 1st level for Thursday. Then advances again to 5th level on Friday, 10th level on Saturday, and 15th level on Sunday.

What is a Gauntlet?
Instead of crafting the character you most want to play and playing them, the Gauntlet leaves your character up to the wicked hands of Fate. Each player rolls up 10 level 0 characters and puts them through a deadly Ninja Warrior style course. The first character of a player to survive is your character for the campaign.

I mean, 16 hours of D&D over four days is WAY too much. Can't I just drop in for one night?
Yep! The campaign can have up to 8 players each night. returning players get dibs. But if we don't have eight players from Gauntlet, there will be the remaining spots open to just drop in and play for a night.

So let me know if we have a crew among the rabble here.

MassalinieBobbyDigi

Comments

• SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Chelsea, MI Icrontian

In -- ooo 10 characters. So many possibilities....

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

Yarrrrrrrrrrrr I be in

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

In

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

Do we know which weekend in June? Could possibly be in.

• sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian

I was thinking 18th - 21st

Winfrey
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

In!

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Couple questions:
    Are both the gauntlet and the campaign happening over these 4 days?
    How friendly is this to someone with minimal DnD experience?
    Thanks,
    -Digi

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'm in!

@BobbyDigi

Are both the gauntlet and the campaign happening over these 4 days?

No, the gauntlet is only happening on Wednesday, so before the 4 day campaign. It won't take more than a couple hours and is entirely optional for people. Think of it as a different way to do character generation for the campaign

Newbie friendly?

Absolutely! I will never run a D&D game that isn't newbie friendly. Ill save those kind of games for other rpg systems like Pathfinder.

edited May 2020

@Jokke
    Awesome to have you! Just want to make sure you know it will be around 6pm EST - 10PM EST, so that would be midnight to 4am your time I believe.

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

I doubt that would be a problem.

primesuspectMassalinieSazbean
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Tentative in; EDT times would have me starting at like 3 in the afternoon though so I'd be taking vacation for sure. Worse things have happened.

In. Gunna put in for some half days so I can participate 100% Wed through Sun.
    Thanks for doing this @sazboom
    Do I need any software or other resources to prepare and/or participate?
    -Digi

Good question on software. So here is what you'll need

• Headset & Mic (shouldn't be a problem for this group)
    • IC Discord on your PC/Mac
    • Account at Roll20.net
    • Account on dndbeyond.com
    • Recommended: two monitors, one for Roll20 and one for DNDbeyond & Discord. not required, but recommended

For anyone joining in at the optional Wednesday Gauntlet, I send out info on how to generate 10 level 0 characters once we get closer.

Hey I got all those things. I'll be in for the whole shebang it looks like.

I was thinking 18th - 21st

Are these days the days? Want to be sure before I put in for time off.
    Thanks,
    -Digi

They are now the days. Official and everything.

BobbyDigiWinfrey

Work has begun on IC on the High Seas.

Setting: Lands of New Fey (created by me)
    Lands of New Fey is an Alternate Earth setting. In 1460 Spanish explorers landed on The New World. Unlike our reality, this was not a yet undiscovered continent but a overlaying pocket dimension, a land of Magic and Monsters, and a place of infinite adventure. Lands of New Fey takes place during the Privateering days of the English Navy, the Spanish Armada, and the Dutch colonization in the islands of the Caribbean, renamed the Rumrunner Isles. Lands of New Fey is the interplay of 1720's sailing innovations, equipment, and characters with the Magic and Monsters of D&D 5e.

Zero Level Characters
    Anyone starting on the Wednesday Gauntlet will create ten level 0 characters. Each character is a simple sailer on a pirate ship spending time at the beginning of the game in the notorious Pirate town of Tortuga. Rules for creating your 10 characters are here

WinfreyTiberiusLazarusSazbean

Quick history of Tortuga

In the early 1600s, the rocky island of Tortuga served as the chief stronghold of a motley group of adventurers, thieves and escaped slaves who preyed on Spanish treasure ships in the Caribbean. These raiders started out as a band of French hunters on nearby Hispaniola (now Haiti), and it was the French word for their method of curing meat, “boucaner,” that inspired their feared nickname: buccaneers. The buccaneers fled Hispaniola for Tortuga around 1630 after the arrival of Spanish settlers, and they soon turned to the lucrative business of piracy. To support their operations, they made Tortuga into a fortified stronghold. Jean le Vasseur, a buccaneer leader who had once worked as a military engineer, even built a 24-gun castle called Fort de Rocher to help guard the island’s harbor.

Tortuga became a prime destination for pirates, attracting men of rough character from as far as England, Holland and Portugal. As more would-be marauders arrived on the island, they organized themselves into a loose fraternity of thieves called the “Brethren of the Coast” and developed their own code of conduct. Many of the Brethren received privateer commissions from England and France, and they proved a thorn in the side of the Spanish, who responded with repeated attacks on Tortuga.

WinfreySazbean

Which ability score generation rule should we use?

We're going to use the Roll option for this campaign. Makes the zero level characters more interesting.
    'roll 4 6-sided die and record the cumulative total of the highest 3 dice 6 times'

Any race or background restrictions? Just wondering if we should stick to PHB or if other supplements are allowed/encouraged.

no restrictions, supplements are allowed

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2020

I happen to know of a really great supplemental guide that would have a lot of cool stuff for a setting like this. (unfortunately, some would have to be fudged. It's for d20 system, not 5e.) :O

Wish I could join you guys. ;D

GHoosdum
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I can vouch for the extreme fun-ness of @CB 's setting.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think I'm able to take vacation these days now. Was looking tight for a while, but I think I'm in, if there's room. I'll yeild my spot to someone new to Aaron's campaigns. I'd also be down to sit in and listen :)

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited June 2020

@RyanFodder said:
    I'll yield my spot to someone new to Aaron's campaigns. I'd also be down to sit in and listen :)

:this: Also happy to help in whatever way may be needed.

edited June 2020

Campaign Notes - Three weeks to Game time

• I have the story plotted, the maps created in Roll20, and the bad guys mostly stated out.

• @primesuspect was able to send me some stuff to help with the bad guys.
    • I would ask that anyone who has a webcam plan on using it during the game. It makes the Discord call much more fun

• Plus you can dress up like a pirate or just wear an IC expo shirt
    • I will be creating a priority list of people who want to play, those who aren't in my current games first then those who are.

• Spots will be given to the first group first each night, starting with Wednesday.
      • @Sazbean is the exception to the above rule and has a reserved seat each night :)
    • I will either stream the game myself or ask for help (depending on how hard it is) so that others can watch

• I might do some giveaways each night, TBD.
    • Would love someone to be the Drink Master and plan a nightly themed drink for a Drink-Along, with recipe.

• Tiki drinks are a perfect fit for pirate game
      • Can be a different person each night
    • TODOs for players

• If you are doing the Gauntlet, create 10 Level 0 characters
      • If you are not doing the Gauntlet, create a level 1 character
      • Figure out your outfit
      • Volunteer to be the the Drink Master for a night
      • Create a Roll20.net account
      • Create a dndbeyond.com account
      • Install Beyond 20 chrome extension

• lets you roll your DND Beyond character into roll20 so that you don't have to create it in both places.
      • Get Icrontic Discord if you don't already have it

Does it matter if we use Roll20 or DnDBeyond to make the characters? I've really only used Roll20.