SM22: It's ready for a host!!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    OK enough messing around with this. Anybody that wants in, do it now.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    I have an idea. Ask if anyone in europe wants it. :D

No seriously how can there not be anyone who doesn't want it.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I have an idea. Ask if anyone in europe wants it. :D

No seriously how can there not be anyone who doesn't want it.

Hold that thought....tba. :ukflag:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    We should be putting together SM23, come on guys put your name in the hat.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    John_D wrote:
    Hmm... Springtime, folks out and about, DOING. Probably has somehting to do with it.... :D

But, you have 4 folks competing, all of whom are eager and who want it. I'd say consider that....

One way to get things built in Europe and UK is to ship the things that are easily shippable be shipped over there, let the heavy-to-ship things be donated from folks there.... What we need is continental build and co-ordinating folks, one for UK side of pond, one for here.

We have Mr Kwitko here, we need a volunterr in UK or Europe. Any volunteers from that side??? Given we have folders who are willing to host over there, anyone who Dan knows who can co-ordinate the building and inventory and folding over there on the UK side of the big pond???

I'm not trying to hijack-- in fact trying for the opposite, just want to show a way to get this to happen and still have a reasonable modicum of control so folding boxes DO fold reliably on both sides of the pond. Dan, Necropolis_UK??? What say you to this idea??? Can PSUs and Cases be supplied locally???? International dual voltage PSUs, so they power US stuff right even as to motherboards???

Please see my above post.
    edited May 2004
    He meant there is another computer almost built in the UK already. Let us handle the parts management.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Last Call!

Remember folks, the honor of hosting an SMx rig is quite a status symbol. Look at the people with the double Folding sigs - if you've got what it takes you could be one of them soon. :)

:thumbsup::fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    You'll find that Chicks will begin to flock around you... Since I became a host, I have another female in my house!!!!! (of course she my baby girl, but statistically speaking, another female is living in my house)

-qch
  • VileDaRKNiGHTVileDaRKNiGHT Hudson FL
    edited May 2004
    Id be more than happy to host it.
    edited May 2004
    Whew... That was a bit overboard John D. I'm sure Mmonnin was not trying to snap at you. The parts for the SMx Project are handled in two places to save money shipping parts back and forth. For the SM Lan'04, Several of the door prizes got stuck at customs for over 10 days!!!! we're talking about some fairly common parts, not entire PC. The logistics of shipping all parts to the US to get cataloged then possibly be sent back over seas is why a UK/Europe SMx Project was created.

I would thank you for your comments and leave it at that. Mmonnin just when a bit overboard in his response... This is not something to get worked over about. We appreciate anything any of you provide to FOLDING and if it's for Team #93, COOL. I have looked at other teams and they aren’t as open and friendly as Short-Media but it's your choice.

Your Friend,

Q
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Should you start a new thread and announce it again, saying more or less "it's ready to go, who wants in" ?
    edited May 2004
    John_D wrote:
    ...If we want to co-ord parts, then let the inventory folks do this, but have them by continent or reasonable shipping area...
    That's the way we are doing it now; Mr. Kwitko in the US and Necro for Europe.

Your comments weren't addressed to me, but I hope you won't mind if I respond to this one point.
    edited May 2004
    I agree with you John... I really HATE when I'm asked to "just trust me" on things that mean a lot to me. I research many things to find out what really does happen with my donated glasses or cloths... do they get sold at and auction and 40% goes to overhead and 20% goes to pay the big wigs and 10% goes to infrastructure and the final 10% get split up between the 600 branches.... WHOA... Not the charity I want to donate to.

On the other hand, the SMx Project is not so much a donation to a charity but and opportunity to take the "spare" parts from those that have them to spare and pool them to make a system that can FOLD. I've coughed up well over a hundred dollars in cash to help make the project work. I also host SM19... I am planning on donating an entire PC. Why?

1) While the parts could be sold for some cash, it's a pain to sell parts from a few years ago.
    2) I want the team to exceed and prosper...
    3) Someone out there will feel honored and thus be a stronger member of Short-Media and Team #93.

The cost on return for the SMx Project is ZERO... just the knowledge that maybe my Daughter Piper won't have to worry as much about cancer, or Parkinson’s disease...

-qch with my 2 cents....

Back to your normal TV Program...
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    Let the threadjacking continue...

I suppose so much of this consitutes how you approach Folding as a whole.

We all know Folding as a concept is a great thing.

Personally, I enjoy folding for a team. It creates a sense of unity, camraderie and a good natured sense of competition.

Without belonging to the old Team Icrontic (now Team Short-Media), I doubt I would have been driven to maintain/increase my production.

Yes, the overall cause is wonderful but so much of it is checking your stats in comparison to others, staving off people who are gaining on your position by adding more boxes, striving to pass those in front of you, congratulating those who hit milestones, posting in this very forum, recognizing ALL contributions both big and small...

See what I mean?

Whatever satisfaction that is derived from Folding is enhanced by the 'community' effort.

I liken not investing available resources back into that 'team' to saying "I'm taking my ball and going home".

Just my .02

Fold on.
    edited May 2004
    I'm going to politely ask for a cease fire over this issue. It's kind of silly to belabor the point of whether donations are effective or not in a thread where we are trying to assign a complete computer to a new host - we must be doing something right.

Check out the SMx Project section of our Team 93 page. All donations are clearly and completely listed there. I am confident that if someone donated parts and those parts did not appear on this list there would be a lot of questions asked. This has never ever happened, nor will it.

As far as shipping costs go, the question was raised about whether it would be more efficient to regionalize the distribution process. The answer to that question was given several times - that we are already doing it that way.

In the spirit which has made this a real TEAM effort, I would ask everyone to consider what this futile battering of a deceased equine is accomplishing. Other than scaring off potential donors and perhaps leading our newer members to (wrongly) believe that the SMx project is being mismanaged I can't think of what it is good for. We are now trying to assign our 22nd rig, with more to come very, very soon. I have not heard of any team which can even come close to this remarkable achievement.
  • edited May 2004
    John_D wrote:
    Fine, please do. In my case, I think if I sell the parts, and donate funds to Stanford, I know the things done to pinpoint buy parts with that money that they need will be adminned right. Ends up doing same thing.

I had about $50.00 budgetted for giving this month. It will go to Stanford.

OK John, you've made your case and stated your opinion, now quit hijacking this thread. This thread is about assigning SM22 and not whether you donate money or parts to the SMx project. You can do what you want and send your money or parts to whoever you want, as well as fold for whoever you want to. If you decide to leave this team, then that is your decision and good luck wherever you go and you are always welcome to come post here (as long as you aren't hijacking a SMx thread ;) ).

John, this is nothing personal against you or a scolding aimed at you; I want this thread directed to back where it needs to go, which is assigning SM22 to some lucky team mate. :)
    edited May 2004
    So.... who do we have listed as being interested in hosting SM22?

VileDaRKNiGHT
    Bud
    FormFactor
    Keto
    Michael Weatherly
    Dancer

Is Michael Weatherly out since a "Cross the Pond" SMx Rig is on the horizon?
    edited May 2004
    John,

I just got on from working a little over tonight. I was beat from the heat and rested a little before I got on.

All I meant by my last post, which I didnt say (sorry), was that as soon as this machine was sent on its way to a new host and folding away was that Necro pretty much as a machine built in the UK.

As for your donations, I know I still have a video card and Power supply from you that I have not sent off to Seth. They were not immediately needed and I was going to ship them off when I found a few more parts to send along with them.

I dont think any of the admins will be deleting any of your posts. Its not the staff policy to delete posts when someone wishes to not be apart of the community. We just let them be.

We do have something similar to what you are asking about gathering parts in one location. Seth does it for all of North America as shipping to Canada is not that much more than shipping in the USA. Necro is simiarly doing the same in the UK for us. To minimize shipping costs we ask for UK members to doante all the parts for an SMx machine. We dont want any donated money going to waste on shipping. I hold the SMx fund and I RARELY use it for anything. I reimbursed Seth I think twice maybe three times for shipping replacement parts to hosts. Thats it.

Host selection will start tomorrow morning. Anyone else that wants in please say so.
    John, YGPM.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Okay, seriously this is just plain nuts. Everybody explained their side, it's all done. Back to the matter at hand. Marc, if you could just decide on a cutoff date for names in the hat, so we can get to SM23, and get this silliness behind us, that would be great :D
    edited May 2004
    Tomorrow Morning my friend. Make it 10AM to give it an official time.:)

Oh yeah EST DST.
  • dancerdancer Blue Mountains, Australia
    edited May 2004
    So is that like 10pm my time tonight??
    It's 2:16pm now.
    And today is boring at work, just waiting on my new colour laser to arrive.
    edited May 2004
    As in like 9 hours and 40 minutes from now.
    edited May 2004
    A few more minutes.:)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I'd make a joke and say I'm putting my name in the hat now, but I'm still going to wait until I move out of my parents' house to do that...
    :thumbsup:

Here's to SM22 :fold:
    edited May 2004
    Current hosts are allowed to host another as well.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Just curious, but do would guys weight current hosts lower in the voting than new hosts? Or does each judge vote based on their own personal system of deciding who'd make a better host?
    edited May 2004
    Times up.:)

We take in all factors on the person wanting an SMx machine. We have yet to have a current host ask for another machine.
  • edited May 2004
    All things being equal, I would rate the person who isn't hosting a rig already a little higher than a present host, if I thought that both were equal in terms of reliability and dedication to being a good host.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    I don't think any of the current hosts would put their name in just because of the fact that others would like to host as well. This goes for me atleast. Can't wait to see who is the lucky host though.
    edited May 2004
    I didn’t know I was eligible...
This discussion has been closed.