SM22: It's ready for a host!!

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
:smokin:

Hosting Requirements and Selection Process are available on the team page

:smokin:

1) Team member must be in good standing and have shown dedication to Team Short-Media and the Folding@Home project for the long haul. Past participation and contributions are taken into account.

2) The member must be able to provide the computer with a safe and secure environment for an extended period of time - this means an indeterminate period.

3) You must be knowledgeable in building computers and loading operating systems, and all that is entailed. In the event the rig should fail, the host is expected to make a good effort in trying to repair the rig and report to the team what is going on.

4) Dedicated, "always-on" Internet connection 24/7, 56K and up, and a free port on an existing network (we don't normally supply routers/hubs/switches with the SMx rig). If the internet connection should fail, the host is expected to make good faith efforts to get back online as soon as is possible.

5) The computer must run and "fold" 24/7. (Yes, the Team is generous enough to allow you to go on vacation and turn it off.) Keep in mind that 24-hour operating will increase your electricity bill by up to a few dollars per month. The Team expects the host to make good faith efforts to keep the rig running as much as is possible.

6) The computer shall fold for Team #93 under the user name of "SMx" exclusively unless it has been voted on to make it differently. The team will monitor the rig’s output through Stanford’s statistics.

7) In the event the host can no longer host the SMx rig or he/she is not able to run the rig for an extended period of time (due to things like being called to duty in the armed forces, for example) the team must be notified so that a new host can be found by normal host selection process.

8) What does the host get out of this? The pride of being able to host a SMx Folding rig, one of very few to earn this privilege. To be able to help Team Short-Media be the best team and the F@H project find cures.

9) Hosts must provide contact information such as phone number and address in case an emergency contact needs to be made.

10) Hosts must sign the hosting contract before the computer will be shipped to them.

11) New hosts must be 18 years of age or older
Please note the new rule. This rule was created after much deliberation. While we trust and respect those hosts currently under 18, there are several reasons for the decision. First, legal accountability. It simplifies things if we don't need guardian signatures. Second, it's an unfortunate truth that our problems with hosts have thus far been the result of younger hosts not taking their job seriously enough. Thirdly, we feel hosts over the age of 18 are more likely to have the machine in a stable location that they can control. The host should be able to show proof of age if requested (scan of a driver's license or something like would be fine)

Disclaimers:

1) All Team-donated parts that go into a SMx donated Folding@Home computer are property of the Short-Media.com Folding@Home Team.

2) Short-Media.com, and/or its owner(s), and/or administrator(s), and/or moderator(s), and/or member(s), shall not be held responsible or liable for any losses incurred either directly, or indirectly as a result of hosting any SMx rig. The host selected shall bear full responsibility for said rig. By applying to be selected as a host, you acknowledge you understand, agree with, and will abide by these rules as set forth here and as may be amended in the future as required.

Important Note:

This entire project and the rules set forth above is/are based on TRUST. We, the team, trust that you, the host, will do all you can to keep the rig folding as much as is possible, in its name, for the Short-Media.com Folding Team. You, the host, trust, that we, Team Short-Media, support you in every way we can.
If you feel you meet the requirements and are willing to sign the contract, throw your name in the hat by posting in this thread and giving us some details about your hosting conditions (connection, environment, etc.) and your computer ability that would mark you as a suitable host for the honorable SM22 :cool2:

(22 is my lucky number btw, so you better be darn qualified! :p )

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Awesome!!...SM21 needs a little brother/sister, he's sick of being picked on by his older siblings ;D got the specs on SM22 yet?...need to know if i need to boost SM21 up or not :)

Get your names in the hat and be one of the few/proud/and honored.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    SM22 was a compaq in a former life ;D

It's an Athlon XP 2200+ with 256mb of DDR.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I like Mr. Kwitko's version better.... :bigggrin:
    Mr. Kwitko wrote:
    A sexy XP2200+, 256 luscious megabytes of DDR RAM, 3.2 gigabytes of hot-to-trot HD space. Already set up with Windows 2000 SP4 and F@H console client. Wow, it's a scorcher.
    edited April 2004
    "Luscious megabytes"??? :wtf:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    Yep its tome to sign up mates. There is more after this one so please feel free to sign up. Remember mods are allowed to sign up as well, just not SMx Committee members.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    "Luscious megabytes"??? :wtf:

And hot-to-trot HD space.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited April 2004
    Ill throw my hat in the box, it would be an honor to host such a machine. I have a constant cable internet connection and am familiar with building and working on computers.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited April 2004
    Well, I guess I have been lurking around here enough. My history is well known to most of you.

/me throws name into hat.

~FA
    edited April 2004
    You out on parole from the 'rents, mate? :)
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited April 2004
    Oh lol, I've been on ''parole'' for months.:p I've managed to reach a happy balance with computer/school/piano so my parents are happy with me.

~FA

Errr....HAH, nevermind. I just read the new rule. Count me out for another year.:(

~FA
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2004
    Ill throw my name in.

Own house, constant cable connection, 3 computers already always on, whats 1 more?
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    :wave:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2004
    Upon further consideration....I am pulling my name back out of the hat for SM22.

The house we moved to a couple of months ago has an open den (no door, wide entry) just off the kitchen area. Recently I have been running a second box in there (a temp from work getting built and OS installed, etc, in my spare time.) There is a noticeable amount of additional noise and heat that having a second box causes. If this den had a closet, like my last house, I would have put it in there, but alas, no closet either. When the fan noise level is noticeable from the kitchen, dining room and living room, it's obvious that having a second box in here 24/7 is not going to be practical. And I don't have another good place to put it in this house yet.

So, I am withdrawing my name from consideration on SM22, and perhaps put my name in again for future SMx rigs.

Fold on, mates :)

Dexter...
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I'll put my name in too. Have 4 full time folders here, if selected will move one of the 2 systems out of my office and install the SMX rig right here beside me where it can be closely monitored. Online connexion can go right directly into my router. One of the kids will be thrilled to have a computer in his room, that I kick out to make room for SMX.

Been a member here since June or July of last year. Got a toaster. Did a Folding song. Believe in the site and the team and the concept. Have attempted to recruit family and friends into the 'fold'.

Darn, just noticed you have to be 18 to host. I just turned 41, guess I'm disqualified? :P
  • edited April 2004
    How about it, everyone? Anyone else want to be a host for SM22?

Oh, and bump back to the first page. ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2004
    There has to be more members wanting to host a smx box. There are some very good members already in the hat, so put your name in before it is to late. It is really cool to be a big brother to a team computer, also a real honor to get chosen.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Come on - isn't there anyone else? Get in while the gettin's still good. :)
    edited April 2004
    The list so far:

Bud
    FormFactor
    Dexter
    keto
    edited April 2004
    Wow! I do believe that's the smallest amount of people that have ever put their name in the hat for an SMx rig :(
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly
    thrown in his name hoping for the best.
    Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    thrown in his name hoping for the best.
  • redoulentredoulent Michigan
    edited April 2004
    High Protein Diet's rule! Who ever ends up the next big brother/sister to an SMx machine best remember to respect the older siblings!

SM2 representin! :Rocker:
  • redoulentredoulent Michigan
    edited April 2004
    Uh-oh, I done killed a thread. :bawling:
    edited April 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    * EyesOnly thrown in his name hoping for the best.
    Does that mean you're in the running? Can we get a little internet-connection and residence info? (Speed and apartment/dorm/house and such)
    redoulent wrote:
    Uh-oh, I done killed a thread.
    Breath, damn you thread, breath!!!11 :p
  • edited April 2004
    Russell wrote:
    Does that mean you're in the running? Can we get a little internet-connection and residence info? (Speed and apartment/dorm/house and such)

Breath, damn you thread, breath!!!11 :p

/me Russ, methinks he's wishing the big pond wouldn't get in the way. Check his location, Sweden! ;D

Athough, I would think that EyesOnly should be able to be a choice for a host for the next European based SMx rig though.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    * muddocktor Russ, methinks he's wishing the big pond wouldn't get in the way. Check his location, Sweden! ;D

Athough, I would think that EyesOnly should be able to be a choice for a host for the next European based SMx rig though.

Thanks mud. As for my house it has adsl connection and i have room for one more rig though i sleep tn the same room so it can't be to noisy. I knew i wouldn't stand a chance but entered for the fun of it. :) By this time next week i should have all parts for my new rig and then i'll really be in business. :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Hmm, well I have IC_11 already. If I get a second box, that would be like twice the folding power. So, 2 x 11 = 22. There, mathematical evidence that you all should send me another SMx rig :D
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Hmm, well I have IC_11 already. If I get a second box, that would be like twice the folding power. So, 2 x 11 = 22. There, mathematical evidence that you all should send me another SMx rig :D

;D nice try...comon people SM21 needs a younger sibling...he's getting picked on bad..
    :sawed: :screwed:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    Bump:

I have withdrawn from consideration for SM22, see this post above: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125180&postcount=14

Dexter...
  • dancerdancer Blue Mountains, Australia
    edited May 2004
    I'd love to host it here in oz.
    i own my own comp buisness across the road from where i live.
    both home and work have 1500/256 adsl, and already have 3-10 pemanently on computers.
    I have done a lot so far with folding and would make sure sm22 would run 26/7.5 and pump out the units to the best of her ability.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2004
    Wow, we haven't dole'ed that thing out yet?...

Good luck guys...

"g"
This discussion has been closed.