Questions About WinXP Versions and Installation

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I will be building a computer for my sister. Her present computer is running Win98.

Will WinXP Home (not "Upgrade" version) install over the top of Win98?
What about WinXP Pro (not Upgrade version)? Will it install over the Win98?

Also, what are differences in networking computers with WinXP Home versus Pro? Does Home have the networking wizard.

To consider: I'll later be installing a home network for my sister, which will consist of a cable modem, router, and two computers sharing files and cable internet.

Yes, my friends, I understand it's always better to perform a clean install on freshly formatted hard drives. In this case, I don't want to do it - it would take too long to find all the games and such that my sister's kids have downloaded, to download again and install.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    I think either will upgrade. How much crap that was never meant to run on win xp in the first place she has installed will influence the stability of the upgrade. But it doesn't sound like stability of the install is at the top of your concerns so go for it. Persoanlly stability especially for family would be my number one concern as I get all their calls for support. So getting a cleran stable install and then reinstalling the games and crap would be my method. I do understand how thats not your scheme here though.

tex
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    <strike>I believe that Pro will not install over 98.</strike>
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Thanks, Tex. I spent hours yesterday at her house cleaning out spyware, removing unused programs and apps, cleaning the registry, and turning off auto-startup programs. For it's stage of obsolescence, her computer couldn't be running better right now. Of course, if stability isn't there after rebuilding, I could always do a clean installation.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Leonardo:

Either version will work as an upgrade. The only differences between Pro and Home:

1) Home does NOT support dual processors

2) Home will NOT join an active directory domain

If those two things don't concern you, then there's no difference between the two.

Also: Your method is a good one - uninstall as much as you can, run a good defragger and disk checker (DISK CHECK IS VERY IMPORTANT) before you do it, and then do the upgrade.
    edited July 2003
    Also: Your method is a good one - uninstall as much as you can, run a good defragger and disk checker (DISK CHECK IS VERY IMPORTANT) before you do it, and then do the upgrade.

All those steps performed. To be performed again as soon as XP is installed over 98. I'll also have the original 98 setup Ghosted on a backup drive just in case....:rolleyes:
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    If you have the choice, as you indicated you did, I would stick with XP Home, as Pro has a lot of stuff which you really don't need. Save you disabling what you don't need after install.

Like you said you know the score about upgrading an OS installation, so I won't go on about it to you. However I might add one piece of advice, one thing which sometimes can really bork an upgrade to another OS up, is if the version of directX on the original OS (in your case 98) is newer than the one which you are installing. So if 98 has directX 9 installed I would suggest having a think whether or not you can remove it or not.

Like I said though, probably won't cause you any problems, but something to think about nevertheless.

Let us know how it goes.

SPINNER
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    As Spinner said, there really isnt any point getting Pro as you will just end up dissabling the stuff you get extra with it anyway, plus you'll save quite a bit buying home rather than Pro as well.

Home works fine for networking and ICS as my mate used it on his laptop at college.

NS
    edited July 2003
    really isnt any point getting Pro as you will just end up dissabling

Good point! I think I've turned the majority of services off in my WinXP installations. Took forever to analyze and figure out was superfluous.

Hey - starting another that's close to this topic: "Exchanging Motherboards without Operating System Reinstallation"

Here: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1339