160 days...

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=93

In 160 days, Team Short-Media will be passed by Team SAGoons.

:rarr::rarr::rarr:

Fold, people, fold like mad!!

:fold::fold::fold:

Dexter...

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    i saw that too. This is bad. :bawling:
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2004
    Bah! Power went out. :thumbsdow
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    Point for them is crazy, we have to add more power. I'm working on a 249 and a 128 pointer right now, should be in probably tommorow sometime.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I'm more insulted by the Macintosh team besting us in 550 days. WTF? Honestly.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    Ya, but Team Mac is almost 2 years away, lots of time to work against them. Team SAGoons are 5 months from overtaking us, and it doesn't look good for us to be able to stop them: they have a 27,000 point per day advantage on us! We need to add like 1000 processors to fend that off!

Dexter...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    I am more worried about that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    ...Wow. I didn't realize we were on such a disfavorable downward trend. :(
    edited May 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    I am more worried about that.
    ...Ouch
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    Some of our downward slope is due to the point value of recent WU's. If you check other top ten teams you'll see something similar. The SAGoons have been adding new members like crazy and their line is flat. You can also check the graph of some of our heavy-hitters like csimon and Jake (buroja) whose arsenal has been consistent for a while; their line is down, too.

None of which obviates the need for new recruits.

:wave::fold:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited May 2004
    I'll be doing some system swapping soon. I am buying a dual Xeon board from hotrodsun which will likely get filled with a pair of 2.4ghz HT Xeons.

This should be the first of two duallies. I will be parting out my single cpu boxes during the process of building these. I don't know what the net difference will be, but it will be a gain. ;)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    My line is going straight across.:D

Actually, slightly upwards.
  • edited May 2004
    Also part of the downward trend is t1rhino's losses. I think in the long term the 'goons will fizzle out until the next politically correct project comes out but for now they surely are a big threat. I don't look forward to the day that they pass us. We need a better recruiting mousetrap.

KF
    edited May 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm more insulted by the Macintosh team besting us in 550 days. WTF? Honestly.
    Yeah that really sucks. Do Macs carry any of the instruction sets that Athlons and P4s do? And what kinda speeds do the newer ones run at?
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited May 2004
    MrBill wrote:
    I'll be doing some system swapping soon. I am buying a dual Xeon board from hotrodsun which will likely get filled with a pair of 2.4ghz HT Xeons.
    I just ordered a pair of 2.66ghz Xeons. I haven't bought an Intel processor since the P3-500 I bought 5 years or so ago.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Yeah that really sucks. Do Macs carry any of the instruction sets that Athlons and P4s do? And what kinda speeds do the newer ones run at?

My guess is that a lot of people switched to the team to show their Mac pride; I don't think they're strong because of a processor type advantage. Now if the fanboys had an all-AMD team or an all-Intel team, then that would be something to be worried about!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I wish the people who came here for OmegaSearch help would fold. If every single one of them joined the team, that would be a huge increase.....
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    definitely!
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited May 2004
    True, we don't promote the Folding aspect enough. When I first accessed this site, it was to learn about flashing video cards.. Hey! Free tutorials to improve your computer!.. DC wasn't something I was familiar with and I believe that applies to most newbies. When I looked at the sigs referring to "Folding", I was intrigued but at the same time .. intimidated, it looked a bit "clannish". To remove some of the mystery, we should have a banner.. "Interested in Folding for Short-Media!?" and link it to a section that explains what Folding and Distributed Computing is.
  • DexterDexter
    looks at his sig.....

Doing my part to have the "hard sell" in the Security forums :)

Dexter...
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    looks at his sig.....

Doing my part to have the "hard sell" in the Security forums :)

Dexter...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    One question that I get asked a lot is "What is folding"...

even though we have 10,000 things that explain what folding is, people don't click or look I guess. One thing that would be easy is a single paragraph, well thought-out and well written, and easy to understand, in all layman's terms, explaining what folding is. If it was a single paragraph we could either link to it or just cut and paste it into a post.

I think the team short-media page should have something like that as the primary attention-grabber and it should be the first thing people see when they go to www.short-media.com/folding.php

The team short-media page is great for existing team members, but for a noob, it is cryptic. Especially the kind of noobs that get infected with spyware and have a lower skill set than the majority here.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2004
    Jonshandbrake is still down on points due to ongoing problems. I'll be home from the mine next week and will be helping Sally trying to get back up to speed. Her behind the keyboard, me making the coffee, lol.

Going to change over standard cpu heatsinks with Aerocool HT101's. (hope you are correct Geeky1, lol :thumbsup: ). Got Sally's fans to exchange with papst ones and change over 1 more Northbridge heatsink on one of the Asus mobo's with a blue Zalman one as it has a very small one without a fan.

Though it may not produce more points, it will stop them from producing whilst they are stripped down for the mods. All going well, she'll be back to normal and no more serious problems. :thumbsup:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    If you guys have had the storms that we have, then your production would be down too.

And we have a lot of members going home from school for summer. Remember to get those boxes back up and running.
    edited May 2004
    One question that I get asked a lot is "What is folding"...

even though we have 10,000 things that explain what folding is, people don't click or look I guess. One thing that would be easy is a single paragraph, well thought-out and well written, and easy to understand, in all layman's terms, explaining what folding is. If it was a single paragraph we could either link to it or just cut and paste it into a post.

I think the team short-media page should have something like that as the primary attention-grabber and it should be the first thing people see when they go to www.short-media.com/folding.php

The team short-media page is great for existing team members, but for a noob, it is cryptic. Especially the kind of noobs that get infected with spyware and have a lower skill set than the majority here.

This may not be what you have had in mind, however it is food for thought.

CURE FOR CANCER
    CURE FOR ALZHEIMERS DISEASE

(click here to find out more)

Link: Did you know computer users ALL over the world donate some of their computer power to search for a cure together with Stanford University's research team.

Here at Short-Media we strongly believe in helping mankind. Do you know someone, a loved one perhaps that has suffered from these diseases?

Unfortunately too many of us have.

2 things Short-Media does extremely well.

Help people with ANY type of computer problem.
    Assist Stanford with cancer/alzheimer disease research.

Do you appreciate the FREE help from this forum?
    WE KNOW Stanford appreciates our FREE help with their research.

Why not check it out or ask one of our members about it.

Team #93 proudly folding for a cause. :fold:

Jon A.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited May 2004
    time for sm23 lets get going. Gonna add a 750 duron and a 1900+ tonight for folding
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited May 2004
    i keep getting WU that are 5000 to calculate
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    5000!!! holy crap. Hey dragon that sounded really nice. Just a thought. Say something about only running the graphics version. The console is far more difficult to setup even though it's most certainly worth it, newcomers might be scared when they see everything they must do.

Just tell them to run the graphical and at least they're folding. :):fold:

Just a thought. BTw how about sending a missionary over to the saggoons to "convert" them to us. :D
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    A buddy gave me a 1.6 p4 and a stick of ram and I bought a mobo from ghoosdum ( Thanks Rob ) I had it up about a week ago and it has already turned in 7 WU's. I stole the hard drive and lan port from a 500 presario so really only added a 1.1 ghz. I now have 5 machines running in my basement office(and two upstairs ). It used to be a steady 70 degrees in the office, now my office is closer to 80 but I will turn to alternate cooling before I shut anything off.
    8 Clients on 7 machines for 11.75 ghz folding power all for team 92 ( I mean 93 :) )

Jon I like your paragraph ! Sorry to hear about Sallys machine trouble. She is currently my only threat. But for the sake of the team....Lets get her going !

Scott
    edited May 2004
    scott wrote:
    Jon I like your paragraph ! Sorry to hear about Sallys machine trouble. She is currently my only threat. But for the sake of the team....Lets get her going !

Scott

Thanks guys. Wish i had more literary skills. (got expelled from High school at 14, lol)

Talking to Sally last night, she said she may give it another go to get the problem puter(s) back up and running. If it does not go well for her, i'll be home next monday with LOTS of moral support, hehehe.

Hopefully next week we'll be back with more strength to get greater distance between us and the SAGoons.

Jon A.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Some of our downward slope is due to the point value of recent WU's.
    Yes, correct. My scores have declined; and I've even temporarily added a Barton XP2500+ machine. Need more Double Gromacs!

Agreed on changing the Folding invitation. Need something like the suggestions above, or "Would you like to join our scientific research team? We're hot, we're smart, and we invite you to join the fun. It's easy. Be a hero!"
  • edited May 2004
    As one of the newbies who joined after an omegasearch episode (although this was not my fault) (and I would like to say I am relatively computer literate if not to your esteemed standards) I agree with the need to have a more obvious lead into 'folding'.

The only reason I knew what 'folding for a cure' meant was because of my exposure to biochemistry. Even after deciding to go ahead and join it took me several leads/backtracks to get to the stage where I could download the programme.

I think that given the wonerfully clear guide to omegaseaerch removal that you guys have produced then something similar to introduce folding would be great.