Sinking in UPGRADE HELL ! HELP !!

edited June 2004 in Hardware
Hi everyone, I recently wanted to upgrade my computer from a Thunderbird 1800, to something that could compete with the new games, gamers, so I wanted to do a major overhaul. First thing I bought was a PSU a 450 watt Super FLower PSU (3 Fans) MOdel SF450 TS, I decided the most bang for my dollar was a Athlon 2800 XP CPU, Next I Couldnt afford a gig of RAM now so I Bought 256 PC 3200 DDR RAM. FInally had the makings for building the computer. The Excitment has been short lived, Since putting it together I never had the system even kinda sorta work. The CPU/Fan hasnt moved a inch, I tried a different CPU in board, Tested another PSU on board, nothing, Moved RAM in all combinations of positions in DIMM slots. I Am pulling my hair out because I ordered this equipment online and am worried if I Will looose my money.. I cant afford to waste money on my budget, the computer upgrade meant cutting corners and saving. Any advise, help would be apreciated !!!!!!!!!!!
RAWWWR :mean: Booggey dsasdasd

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Well, check manual with motherboard, make sure power switch wire connector and reset switch wire connector and led wire connectors from case are plugged in perfectly right, that video card and RAM are seated right. Nothing else in box connected to PSU or data cables right now for testing. You should be able to get a BIO screen, if not replace CMSO battery or clear CMOS and try one more time.

Also tell us what motherboard you are using, and if the board has a sticker on it with version on label, tell us that also, OK???
  • edited June 2004
    Working on that right now give me 10 minutes and I Will post all the info you requested.... thanks a lot
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    what mobo do you have? model and revision (if applicable) plz.
  • edited June 2004
    Btw the motherboard is a brand new KV7 ABit motherboard I cant find more than that info
    edited June 2004
    Try taking the mobo out of the case, placing the mobo on the box, and connecting only the:

cpu + HSF, RAM, and video (and power)

If it boots then, you have some sort of grounding problem with the case.
    edited June 2004
    This is a weird situation due to the specific combo of things used for this system-- I looked at Abit-Taiwan's compatibility test report for that board. The only SPEED CPU that is NOT in that report of Barton type in range of 2500+ through 3200+ is the 2800+. The highest Thoroughbred-B listed in the compatibility report is a 2700+. BIOS on board might not have a multiplier setting or voltage setting for that PARTICULAR CPU, but do the other things first that were already suggested, the board might run a 2800+ as a 2700+ if it is something else causing this problem.

Does anyone who hangs out here have a 2800+ running on the KV7 Abit, and if so did you have to do a BIOS flash to get it running with that CPU speed????

Abit KV7 compatibility report link:
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/test_report/KV7/index.php
  • edited June 2004
    =(((((((((((((( I connected all the connecters and then tried with motherboard out of the case w/o connecters nada =(((((((((((((((
  • edited June 2004
    lol Damn my luck !!!!! I wonder why they dont list it..... There has to be a reason for it....
  • edited June 2004
    John_D wrote:
    This is a weird situation due to the specific combo of things used for this system-- I looked at Abit-Taiwan's compatibility test report for that board. The only SPEED CPU that is NOT in that report of Barton type in range of 2500+ through 3200+ is the 2800+. The highest Thoroughbred-B listed in the compatibility report is a 2700+. BIOS on board might not have a multiplier setting or voltage setting for that PARTICULAR CPU, but do the other things first that were already suggested, the board might run a 2800+ as a 2700+ if it is something else causing this problem.

Does anyone who hangs out here have a 2800+ running on the KV7 Abit, and if so did you have to do a BIOS flash to get it running with that CPU speed????

Abit KV7 compatibility report link:
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/test_report/KV7/index.php

I was wondering if the RAM I Had matched ok also... PC 3200 DDR 400 Mz
    edited June 2004
    I was wondering if the RAM I Had matched ok also... PC 3200 DDR 400 Mz

The board specs include PC3200 RAM capability, that should be fine as a system spec, but if you have another box or a firend will let you, test RAM in another box, try 2-3 passes of MemTest86 on the RAM from a floppy or burned CD boot to test the RAM. The reason for this is to rule out bad RAM. If RAM is really awful bad, other box probably will not boot, and until RAM is tested, do not let the other box go into Windows. Get and make bootable floppy of MemTest86, or burn CD of it, shut down box, stick RAM in, stick floppy in if floppy, and THEN power up test box. You can stick a CD in real fast also if good at fast sticking CDs in box as it boots. I do that from time to time as a tech.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    It's a power issue of some sort....are the PSU fans spinning? Is ANYTHING lighting up?
  • edited June 2004
    No the fans are not spinning and the PSU has lights and they dont turn on either ...... The old PSUs I have are real weak and they dont support the secondary connection of the Mobo.... Since I ordered all the equipment online, any advice on what I should do ?? I Am afraid to be stuck eating all the money =(
    edited June 2004
    does the fan in the psu spin?

It is looking like the power supply is bad.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    Assuming it is a hardware defect, the fact that you ordered the stuff online doesn't necessarily mean that you are hosed. Did you buy it from a recognized dealer?
    edited June 2004
    are you sure you have the power switch in the right place in the mobo? Check the manual to make sure.
    edited June 2004
    No the fans are not spinning and the PSU has lights and they dont turn on either ...... The old PSUs I have are real weak and they dont support the secondary connection of the Mobo.... Since I ordered all the equipment online, any advice on what I should do ?? I Am afraid to be stuck eating all the money =(

At this point, I would test each thing separately with things from anothr box that is compatible, except for the PSU. The PSU, I would take to a tech and have him or her quick test it with a PSU quicktester, or get a PSU quicktester. I am leaning more and more toward a BAD PSU or damaged surge strip as primary problem, but have seen multiple simultaneous bads of RAM and motherboard or RAM and CPU cause PSU safeties or sudden "death" of a cheap PSU with only a fuse in it. I have also seen cheaper PSU's STAY saftied until unplugged for 15-20 minutes sometimes. They can have slow reset power cutouts in them.

IF another problem existed and has been fixed, try unplugging PSU cord and letting it sit long enough to have dinner, then try booting box again. If still NADA, get a friend or local tech to check out why you have this mess, OK??? You really do not want a possibly BAD PSU hooked to a friend's box.

Circuit City and Cyberguys both have inexpensive PSU quick-testers, Circuit City costs more than Cyberguys and the one Cyberguys shipped me was a PC Power and Cooling PSU tester. Better a tester says PSU is bad or good than a good set of friend's computer things gets damaged.

In this case, would get the PSU checked. Takes all of two-five minutes and any tech who charges more than $10.00 to plug a PSU into a quicktester should be hung or shot. IF PSU fails a quicktest after being unplugged for 1\2 hour, PSU is dead. Period.
  • edited June 2004
    I found the company from price watch, Is it Illegal to say the names of companies on the forums ? I Dont want to get in trouble. Power switch ? you mean from Case to Mobo ? On my case I see 2 sets of connecters... one list the names Power Switch REset ect... Other isa thick wire that turns into two wires black connecters that doesnt list the name of where they hook up too
  • edited June 2004
    Hmmmmmmm so from the sounds of it I Should try a new surge protector also .... and a reset of the PSU. My major problem is online stores haeva very very short time they will take stuff back so If I cant figure it out tomorrow will see if I Can send the stuff back..
    edited June 2004
    I found the company from price watch, Is it Illegal to say the names of companies on the forums ? I Dont want to get in trouble. Power switch ? you mean from Case to Mobo ? On my case I see 2 sets of connecters... one list the names Power Switch REset ect... Other isa thick wire that turns into two wires black connecters that doesnt list the name of where they hook up too

You can post the names of the companies.

Yes, I mean the connection from the case to the mobo.
  • edited June 2004
    I Dont know about the connection from case to Mobo..... There is 2 sets of wires, the ones I hooked are labled but there is another set.. no label. The name of company I bought Mobo is PC On-Time. The other wires look totally different I Am not sure how to connect them right.
    edited June 2004
    can you take a picture of them for us?

here's a picture of the front panel connectors. Make sure you have the power switch in the right place.
  • Jolyon33Jolyon33 Kalamazoo, MI
    edited June 2004
    make sure you get the power and ground right
    edited June 2004
    doesn't really matter for the on/off switch.
  • edited June 2004
    I been working on the computer and I do have the Case wires set up right. I also found a old PSU 300 watt, With both the connections mobo needs. One moment and I am going to move the computer to a new outlet. Just to be sure and try a new surge. I really apreciate all you guys lending me a hand .... Can a computer store run a cheap test on a CPU to see if it works ? :banghead:
    Booggey
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2004
    ...Can a computer store run a cheap test on a CPU to see if it works ?
    Any decent place should do this for a nominal fee.

Better yet, do you have a friend with a compatible MB? You could test the CPU and the RAM, too.

Hang in there - if your hardware is good I'm sure we can get you going. If not, I'm sure we can help you find the culprit. :)
  • edited June 2004
    BLEH !!!!!!!!!!! I moved the computer to a new outlet upstairs. Nothin from either PSU, :banghead: :banghead: Not a flicker of light........I just dont understand what could it could be. SHould I try to find another tower and install on that one. Does it matter at all what tower I use ? :rant:

Ready to blow his top in Denver
  • edited June 2004
    I moved the computer to another part of the house.... tried both PSU, and nothing at all...... Should I try a new case ? To boot a computer needs, PSU, CPU, FHS, RAM, and Video ?
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Nah, sounds very much like a DOA (dead on arrival) PSU .... or the motherboard got shorted and blown up somehow. I'd take the whole lot (mobo, PSU, CPU) to a computer shop in the morning. Hint: Don't tell em it's brand new gear, tell em you think it died and just want them to double check it. THey'll prolly test it free, thinking they may sell you some new gear if the stuff's dead.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    Got any wire sitting around? I can show you how to make a ghetto power supply tester with 2 wires.
  • edited June 2004
    Yeah I have some wire sitting around ...(Suspicous look) Heh this is how people loose fingers hahahaha how do I Do a PSU Tester.