Our turn....Farm will be down for a while.

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
Been making up some shelves to re-organise Sally's puters. After changing the case of one of them, i'll shut everything down and do a complete "Makeover".

At the moment the kvm and network cables look like nobody owns them.

Instead of 2 shelves with 9 puters, it will be 3 shelves with 3 puters each. Got everything ready to minimise the down-time.
I have been planning it for quite some time now and it works "in my head", lol.

Hoping this is me at the end of it. :) Not this. :bawling:

I'll post a few "after" pics when done.

Before:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    one word: "obsession"!
    at least that's the way my wife describes it. She says that for every fan I buy she gets to change her hair color!!! LOL

Good luck with the project dragon ...I am surely glad as well as others I'm sure to have you on team 93!!!

Oh and for the record ...I call it "dedicated"! :wink:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    csimon's wife:
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    how much is your electric bill :eek2:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for the kind words Chris. I'm glad to have found Short-Media as they have helped us out immensely. This is also where i found out about folding. (Sorry Seti, you lost out).

Cosidering this was meant to be something you do on the side, it sure has taken up a great part of our lives. All in all, it is a great project, we're with a great team (Team 93) and it benefits humanity............What more could you wish for.

Shwaip did a nice impression of your wife's hair don't you think, hehehe. Would that be close to factual, lol.

Gibbonsl, the electrical bill has gone up quite a bit. Since they come in 2 monthly, we have not had a real chance at working out the additional cost.
    As Muddocktor said in one of his replies in another thread.....It's OK whilst i'm working.

We have only been folding since February, i think. Sally started after me and we have been adding more puters progressively everytime i come home on leave from my job in the mine. 2 weeks on/1 week off. All but one is in her name. Our next bill will give us a much better idea for costs during winter. Summer will be more as we will be running a 28,000 BTU A/C. (2 1/2 HP).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Cosidering this was meant to be something you do on the side
    Yeah, like a side of beef for a snack.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    yes great impression of the wifey!!! Only she doesn't do all the colors at once ...but please please don't give her any ideas! :shakehead
    edited July 2004
    How do you keep that room cooled sufficiently? Australia ain't exactly one of the colder climates in the world. You're in Perth, right? Hot summers, cool to moderately cold winters?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2004
    shwaip wrote:
    csimon's wife:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    My wife does the haircolor bit too.. I'll make sure to keep her away from this thread.
    edited July 2004
    Leonardo wrote:
    How do you keep that roomed cooled sufficiently? Australia ain't exactly one of the colder climates in the world. You're in Perth, right? Hot summers, cool to moderately cold winters?

Correct about the climate. The room is the biggest in the house. Commonly referred to as the "Games room". 27' x 14'. This gives the puters a chance to breathe a bit.

As you may have noticed in the 2nd pic, the majority of cases are Antec Super Lanboy's. 2 x 120mm in each and do quite a good job of keeping them cool. Also they are the quietest of the bunch, hence the black one on the top shelf will be changed to the same.

This will make the top and middle shelf look identical. 3 x antec's on each.

Just hope the picture in my head will match the actual outcome. I'm sure it will as "the voices in my head" said so. (Thought i'd beat you to it Leo, knowing your sense of humour, lol). ;D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2004
    Good luck with everything, hopefully it will go as quick and easy as possible. Be sure to get a good after pic once it is all clean and neat.
  • edited July 2004
    Nice pics of the farm Jon :) It sure beats my ghetto setup hehe. I'll post pictures in a few minutes. I don't have any cases. It's so raw and ugly the best thing was to hide it underneath the embroidery machine where it can't been seen. You can sure feel the heat coming out from underneath it though. Post the end results when you can.

KF
    edited July 2004
    It's so raw and ugly the best thing was to hide it underneath the embroidery machine...
    You are a multifaceted individual! Do you do needlepoint too! I can see it now -- Short-Media doillies!
  • edited July 2004
    Uh, no. Way too feminine. The business has been slow lately mainly due to the lack of time put into it. It's tied into an announcement I'm about to make in a thread I'll start here shortly. I had 58 hours of overtime this past pay period (2 weeks) due to computer overtime I've been getting. More coming soon about that too....

KingFish
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2004
    Dragon,

Good luck on the re-organization. I'm looking forward to the pics :)
  • edited July 2004
    Good luck on the reorganization, Jon. Those are some nice looking folding rigs you got there too. With everyone posting up their farm's pictures, I guess I'll have to get in the computer room and clean up the mess in the middle of the room (spare parts, boxes and all kind of other stuff) and take a few pics of my little garden for posting too when I get in from work. I'm having an easy day today; they are tripping the pipe out of the hole to change the bit from deeper than 15,000 feet so it will take all my tour for them to get back into drilling mode again.:D

BTW, if you are planning to expand the farm any more, you might want to go dual Xeon with the Asus PC-DL Deluxe and using 2 Xeon 2.4/533 fsb procs. I had read that OC-AMD (with the 2CPU folding team) is highly recommending them for "bang for the buck" for building folding farm nodes. He says that they will overclock to a 800 fsb (actual 200 fsb quad pumped) easily and it is a simple mod needed to enable sujpport for 800 fsb operation on the mobo, which uses the i875 chipset. I'm thinking hard about replacing one of my single proc AMD rigs with this setup to try it out or maybe one of my MPX duallies. It all depends on the funding issue though, if you know what I mean.;) BTW, I just linked to that mobo on Newegg's site to show you the mobo I'm talking about because they don't ship to overseas customers.
    edited July 2004
    When you talk about your tour, related to changing the bit, i hope you don't mean more than 24hrs. I realise they are down a fair way, but with today's technology i thought it wouldn't take too long for a round trip.

Sally and I looked at xeon cpu's etc, sometime ago prior to purchasing the last 2 puters and found the cost to be quite high. (It's that funding issue, lol). We've put it in the "too hard basket" for the moment.

In regards taking pics, our room is a mess to say the least. This is why i want to clean up starting with the farm and working out from there. The pics won't show the mess, cause i won't point the camera at it, lol.

I just finished changing the black case for another Antec. Looks much better on the (present) top shelf, having 5 puters identical. The only difference being the coloured lights from the fans inside the cases. 3 have the HT101's with a blue lit fan and another one has a red rear led fan.

Had planned to start the renovation straight after the case change. It's now 23:45hrs so i'll do it tomorrow. Can't think straight when i'm tired.
  • edited July 2004
    This bit trip should last around 15-16 hours; I'm working a 6:00 AM-6:00 PM tour out on this job, since there are 2 of us on this job. :D Nobody works like they used to out here any more; you used to get your butt reamed on a trip like this if it took more than 8-9 hours in "the good old days". ;D

If you ever want to try the Xeons and they are too expensive over there in Oz, PM me and we can talk about what we can arrange for me to get you some stuff here in the US and ship it to you if you want. That mobo sells for around $200 and the 2.4/533 Xeons for around $222 US here, but I don't know what they are selling for over on your side of the world. :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Dragon: The farm looks good as it is. but I'm sure it'll be even better when you're done. :)

Mudd: stop it stop it stop it STOP IT. I've got an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe buried under a dead A7N8X, a P2 board, and an i740 graphics card on top of my printer. You're making me want to go spend money on the Xeons. ;D
  • edited July 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    Dragon: The farm looks good as it is. but I'm sure it'll be even better when you're done. :)

Mudd: stop it stop it stop it STOP IT. I've got an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe buried under a dead A7N8X, a P2 board, and an i740 graphics card on top of my printer. You're making me want to go spend money on the Xeons. ;D

Wait until late August when the next Intel price cut happens. Then you can dig it out and order the Xeons. If they cut 10% on prices, that will brng those 2.4/533's down to 2 bills a pop. :thumbsup::D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    I may, but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I was probably going to get the 2.8GHz Xeons, which are $275 right now; I'm not sure that $55 (between the two) is enough to justify waiting... :-/
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I use to know what that looks like. I do miss my farm. :bawling:

Good luck Dragon. Your dedication and commitment are to be commended. :cheers: