What applications do you use to create code?

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Internet & Media
In a wee follow on to General K's thread about what codebase we use...

What apps do you use to generate your code?? When I say code, it can be any language .. including things like C++ and so on...

I won't start a POLL until a few have answered.. and then I can add to the poll as it progresses ;)

Here's mine...

C# & vb.NET:
SharpDevelop

Good FREE IDE! ... is virtually a carbon copy of Visual Studio.NET without the massive price tag. Few bugs, but no show stoppers :)

PHP:
ActiveState Komodo

Not free but worth every single penny. Forget Zend and all those wannabe's, this is where it's at. Im beta-testing the latest version (ver.3).. and it has code completion from YOUR OWN project.. the works. It will be the most complete PHP IDE when it's complete. This is only Beta 4 im testing and it's brick solid (just like the current 2.5 version is). Kudos to the ActiveState team, this is a killer IDE.

Why use this? I pretty much stopped writing procedural PHP a few months ago. Using the OOP method requires a more intelligent dev suite. Trying to build OOP code in DWmx is very painful.

Code Folding,
Completion of your own functions & object methods,
Full scope browsing,
Split Screen tab groups,
Code Browser,
Full Debugging with breakpoints and line by line..

It's awesome.

HTML & CSS:
Dreamweaver MX

Not free but for rapid dev, it's pretty nifty. Needs some tweaking to stop it generating overblown xHTML but for fast CSS building, it work's really really well :)

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    C:
    Visual C++ .net

HTML:
    Dreamweaver MX, FrontPage 2003 and notepad. :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I only code for web right now, and I pretty much use Dreamweaver MX for all of it (PHP, XHTML, and CSS).

//edit: FrontPage == crap. I was just reading (been doing a lot of that recently) that Bill Gates admitted to specifically instructing the Office developers to have that app create code that would not render correctly in competing browsers. :rant:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    XHTML/HTML/CSS: EditPlus2. A Notepad-like app with macros, autocomplete, code-snippet libraries, and syntax dictionaries. Not a true IDE like Komodo, and not free, but I've been using it since I was an intern at a web design company, so I'm used to it and I love it.

PHP: EditPlus2. See above.

I took a look at Komodo and I just might have to check it out. Looks like it will make my PHP coding easier.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Hey Guys, Hows it goin? I went to the SharpDevelop site to read on it. Figured a free program was worth trying to learn. But everytime I try to get into the idea of making a website with C#, PHP, or HTML- (which I know a little). I get so overwhelmed just reading how, it discourages me from even DLing the program. I have a Freewebs premium account and it's set for the (What you see is what you get) format at the moment. Also the user always has the chance to change it to HTML format. But once you change it, You can't go back to original format unless you delete the whole account and renew it. I guess, What I'm trying to ask is--What is the easiest prog to learn, for building a nice personal website? It gets frustrating when you only have modules or pages to insert and there's no real touch of the artist's hand.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    anything C related : Codewarrior

Matlab Code : wordpad or gvim
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Microsoft Visual Studio .Net for C++, Visual Basic, and HTML.

I have also used Unix and its G++ compiler at school for C++.

Later this semester I will be getting into assembly language. Not sure with what though.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Hawk wrote:
    Hey Guys, Hows it goin? I went to the SharpDevelop site to read on it. Figured a free program was worth trying to learn. But everytime I try to get into the idea of making a website with C#, PHP, or HTML- (which I know a little). I get so overwhelmed just reading how, it discourages me from even DLing the program. I have a Freewebs premium account and it's set for the (What you see is what you get) format at the moment. Also the user always has the chance to change it to HTML format. But once you change it, You can't go back to original format unless you delete the whole account and renew it. I guess, What I'm trying to ask is--What is the easiest prog to learn, for building a nice personal website? It gets frustrating when you only have modules or pages to insert and there's no real touch of the artist's hand.
    I'd recommend Dreamweaver MX, personally. If you don't want to read how to use it first... then don't :) It's easy enough you can probably just start clicking around without using a manual. Learning it deeper isn't too tough though... as usual I will recommend the Visual Quickstart series if you don't know anyone who can give you a run-through in person :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    anything C related : Codewarrior

Matlab Code : wordpad or gvim
    Use Matlab for Matlab :p
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thnx guys, I think I might try Dreamweaver MX first. I've heard & read some good reports on it. Appreciate the input. Been building my own pc's for yrs now, trying out many diff software proggies, but just haven't jumped into the code apps proggies yet.
    Seems like it would take forever to learn most coding, unless I go to classes. Which is out of the question, no time. Get home from work 6:00 - 7:00 pm everynight. If I'm really lucky 5:30 or so. And then it's paperwork! Anyway, Thnx again guys. SM's always faithful Hawk.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    gvim/vim for pretty much everything. Eclipse if I'm working on a group coding project.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Use Matlab for Matlab :p

Oh yeah MatLab 6 as well.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I only code for web right now, and I pretty much use Dreamweaver MX for all of it (PHP, XHTML, and CSS).

//edit: FrontPage == crap. I was just reading (been doing a lot of that recently) that Bill Gates admitted to specifically instructing the Office developers to have that app create code that would not render correctly in competing browsers. :rant:

Dreamweaver MX 2004 myself, got the whole Studio MX 2004 suite with Flash Pro. Real nice... I also have the Microsoft Visual Studio .Net(student), for when I was taking a course on C, but I don't do that anymore.

Nothing I have seen is better than Dreamweaver ;)