Good budget Heatsink?

nomannoman pakistan
edited August 2004 in Hardware
hi,

me again.
in my country the temprature reaches 45-48C in summer. :rarr:
i wish to have a 2500 barton.i would have the casing cover removed all the time.i have no problem with noise. :Rocker:
i wish to overclock it to 3200+ with 200fsb.on nf7-s mobo.
i don't know anything about heatsinks.what should i put in to my casing.
my question is, what specs should i look for when i buy a heatsink? also tell me which one would do ok,for cheapest price.

bye bey

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    If you don't have air conditioning, the only way to overclock it to that kind of speed in 45*C weather is going to be to go to water cooling. You'd be well advised to have a VERY good heatsink to cool it even at stock speeds.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited August 2004
    This is what I'm going to use on my new Barton 2500+, run at stock speed of course. On sale for $20.

http://www.svc.com/thslcl.html
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    i had that one before i got my water, it kept my old 1700 at 2.48ghz @ like 45-50 degrees. but i was in a heavily ACed room and i had like 6 120 fans
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    hi,

what if i remove the casing cover? can that work with a factory fitted heatsink?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    My Bartons are over clocked a bit, my slow one is running at 2200 and the fast one at 2400 (neither are XP2500's). They both show a temp of about 48C while folding in a room that is 25C. Now my case temps are about 32C.
    You can run bigger heatsinks and fans than I do.
    You can open the cases.
    But, the CPU will always be about 10-15C hotter than the air. The advantage with water cooling is that you can get this differential down to 5C.
    For air cooling you are going to need a Thermalright SP-97 or something similar, and the fan will not be quiet.
    Even with that you may need to back off the OC during the summer.

You really should should consider a mobil CPU. They run at lower voltage and generate less heat.
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited August 2004
    Man, here in Spain summer is very hot too, sometimes we reach 40-42ºC. Without AC, I seriously don't reccommend to overclok until winter arrives.

As edcentric said, CPU will always be approx 10-15C hotter than the air. So 45ºC ambient +15ºC we have 60ºC on your CPU at stock speed. Pretty hot to try overclocking starting from there.

Are you using any kind of thermal grease? Factory assembled computer usually have that horrible pink stuff between heatsink and processor. I would suggest lowering your temps generally, better case ventillation, apply arctic silver or the best stuff you can, and even cleaning your fans. If you have never opened your case that should be pretty dusty.

Try to make a wind tunnel from front low to the rear high part of your case with at least two cheap 80mm fans. That should help too.

Or try overclocking during the night hehe :)
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    hi,

guys, i told u the temperature a little more. that was the temprature outside, but inside the room temperature is about 30-35 max, i think.
    what then?
    how much more heat is delivered when we oc ?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2004
    If you can get your hands on a XP Mobile 2400+, 2500+, 2600+ and a good Thermalright heatsink (I recommend the ALX800), You should be able to run at 2200mhz as long as you can keep the CPU temps under 65C.

During a recent heatwave my XP-M 2400+ overclocked to 2400mhz keep folding even when the (CPU) temp hit 65C.

The XP Mobile is a Low Power Barton (XP 2500+) core CPU BTW. Stock Vcore is only v1.4 and they will all do at least 2.3ghz @ v1.65
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    MADSHRIMPS comparisons.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    Omega65 wrote:
    If you can get your hands on a XP Mobile 2400+, 2500+, 2600+ and a good Thermalright heatsink (I recommend the ALX800), You should be able to run at 2200mhz as long as you can keep the CPU temps under 65C.
    can't i do that on a regular desktop barton too?

Omega65 wrote:
    The XP Mobile is a Low Power Barton (XP 2500+) core CPU BTW. Stock Vcore is only v1.4 and they will all do at least 2.3ghz @ v1.65
    so what ur saying is, if i have a mobile barton i dont need that much expensive cooling,right?
    edited August 2004
    1: Not necessarily there are Barton XP 2500+ that wont do 2.2ghz @ 30C temp. It's the luck of the draw. Mobiles & MPs are the BEST CORES.

2: you still will if you have 40C+ ambient temps
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Omega65 wrote:

During a recent heatwave my XP-M 2400+ overclocked to 2400mhz keep folding even when the (CPU) temp hit 65C.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Since you would be getting higher overclocks on lower voltages it will be runnin a good bit cooler. I can run my 2500mobile 2.2ghz @ 1.525 anything lower it gets flakey. I use 1.725ish for 2400mghz it goes up from there.

Oh and it's unlocked so you will get alot more overclocking options than with the regular barton 2500xp.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    i agree that mobiles are the best things to overclock. but i was thinking of one more reason.if i got mobile,i would get a cheaper cooling solution.,since mobile is expensive than desktop.
    how much a chance there is that the oem mobile i get from online retailer doesn't work?
    won't a cheaper hsf work on ambient temp of 25-35?like this

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/TR2_M1-M2/pg_2.htm

one more thing i am considering is if the cost of mobile and heatsink goes higher,then i might have to consider p4 2.8e.
    or miss the mobile and get a desktop(which is cheaper)with a little expensive heatsink.

from wht u know, how does an oc'ed mobile2500 compare to 2.8 prescot in performance?
    edited August 2004
    XP 2500+ 65watts
    XP-M 2500+ 45watts
    XP-M @ 2.4ghz ~88watts (v1.75)
    P4 2.8E ~90watts
    A64 2.2ghz ~60watts

It depends on the application but a XP 2.4ghz = P4 3.2ghz C or E
    Some times it's a little better and sometimes it's a little worse. Office apps prefer an XP over a P4. Encoding app prefer a P4 over an XP. Athlon 64 beats them both.

Techreport XP-M 2500+ @ 2.4ghz
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    what about the heatsink i mentioned?
    could u plz comment on that?
    edited August 2004
    noman wrote:
    what about the heatsink i mentioned?
    could u plz comment on that?

It looks like a variation of a Stock AMD XP 2500+/MP 2500+ heatsink. It should OK for stock speed and some minor OCing. Above that I couldn't say. Google for some reviews.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    ok,
    what does"minor oc'ing mean" ,to what speed?
    one more question,if a hsf says that it supports athlon xp 3200+ , will it not be ok for 2500 oc'ed to 3200?
    edited August 2004
    That thermaltake heatsink is not very good at all, and a hsf that supports a 3200+ *might* support an overclocked 2500 if the 2500 isn't overvolted. I realize you're trying to save some money, but this is not necessarily the best way to do it. How important to you is the amount of noise the computer makes?
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    hi,

what i want is...
    i got nf7-s board.
    a heatsink that would allow me to oc mobile 2500(may be with increased voltage) ,say, to 2500 mhz at temp. 30C max, i would lower the overclock if needed.

i have no problem with noise or look or anything. :Rocker:
    i dont want to spend more than 30$ (heatsink fan both).

so could u suggest one to me.i am really short on time ,only till 27-aug to get. i have googled a lot but i am even more confused.

here are a few i am thinking abt.

what abt volcanos, which one would be good?

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/11/20/4303

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/11/20/4606

bye
    edited August 2004
    $30 CAD or $30 USD?
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    30US
    40 candidan
    edited August 2004
    ok. Lemme see what I can find. Got any links to canadian PC store websites?
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    one more thing,
    if the proc is passed thru X-rays ,like airport scan/check of baggage, could it be damaged by x-rays?
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    i pasted links bfore too,
    www.icct.ca
    www.infonec.com
    bytewizsecomputers.com
    there is this www.pricenetwork.ca this site gives the best price for any item in canada, if u go there chose ,search in ontario,
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    noman wrote:
    one more thing,
    if the proc is passed thru X-rays ,like airport scan/check of baggage, could it be damaged by x-rays?

If laptops can make it the cpu will be fine :)
    edited August 2004
    If you can get the Thermalright ALX-800 and a Thermaltake SmartFan2, that'd be good... the other heatsink you PMed me about (the Tt SilentBoost) is designed for silent computing, and unless you upgrade the fan, isn't going to make much of an overclocking heatsink :)
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    what abt these,
    swiftech mcx
    http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/11/20/4303
    and this
    zalman cnps3100
    http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/11/20/4605
    and this
    zalman cnps600
    http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/11/20/4606
    and a few more questions

if i have to remove the heatsink,then do i need the thermalpaste again?

is it true that mobile barton will have warranty only from the shop and not from amd? will i have to check it ,like in one week or 1 month,after which i can not claim warranty.

how much of a chance there is that a mobile barton would not work,like how to check it, in order to claim warranty from online store
    edited August 2004
    The swiftech is good, the Zalmans are worthless for overclocking, and I wouldn't trust them with an AMD cpu with the kind of room temps you hit, even at stock speeds.

Yes, you'll need to replace the thermal paste when you remove the heatsink.

Unless the CPU is DOA, if it's going to fail, it'll most likely do so in the first month. But I've never had a CPU fail on me (except for the ones I've killed). As long as you're careful with it, it shouldn't be a problem. It's still riskier than buying a retail boxed cpu with a 3 year warranty, but I don't think it's a whole lot riskier.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    here is the final deal.for my mobile barton

the good fan 80mm costs 18$
    #1--alx 800(no fan)
    35$
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1560&Category_Code=5.6

#2---silent boost fan---35$
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1496&Category_Code=5.72

#3----slk 700 fan
    39$
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1551HSTR&Category_Code=5.6

now i need opinion what will be __""THE BEST BANG FOR BUCK"""__
    i need to put fan on alx-800.

also tell ur opinion abt,the ones with fan,what if i replace the fan they have,
    so #2 and 3, if i replace their fan,will they work better than alx-800

plz also predict the max oc each will allow.

bye :thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    you can't replace the fan on the SLK-700 easily, as it uses a non-standard size. The silent boost with the smartfan2 i reccommended for the alx may outperform the alx, but not by much, if at all.

The bottom line is that no one is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. We've given you the best guesses we've got, but you're going to have to take a little risk here. I'd go with the ALX-800 and either one of the Thermaltake fans I linked you to in my PM.

As for the maximum OC, that is entirely dependent on the CPU in question. The best anyone can do is to tell you that most mobile chips hit 2.4GHz+