DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• joe3563joe3563 Burn Orange Nation
    edited April 2006
    deiphage wrote:
    Gosh, how could I have been so foolish... oh, wait, I did follow the instructions... there seems to be another problem. Thanks for the "help" joe.

Sorry man. It works. I don't know what to tell you. It works for me and it seems to be working for everyone else as well. The fact that it does not work on more than one of your systems is a sure sign that you are doing something wrong. I am simply trying to suggest that you re-read the post and see what you might have missed.
  • edited April 2006
    Ross wrote:
    Hi deiphage, I have sp1 and it works ok on that. Did you try your 98 machine yet? On your sp2 machine you could run the file under 98 settings by right clicking on the Windas.exe file going to the compatability tab and selecting which ever mode you want. Also try to shutdown all other programs as one might conflict.

Hope that helps, if not give me more info(computer spec/installed programs) and i will see what i can do.

Ross

I've been working on the 98 machine - Microsoft foundation class errors abound. The XPSP2 errors were MFC related as well... copying the creative labs version of MFC42.dll fixed my software poblems. WinDAS works now!!!

Of course I've only succeeded in shifting the problem to the cable. I get the infamous "check bus line and condition" message. I've tried swapping TX/RX, and I've switched from T2/R2 to T1/R1 - to no avail. Continuity is good on all of my lines, but the wires might be a little long. 6' of 9pin to 25pin, 7' of cat 5, the circuit, and then 8' of cat 5 to the monitor. I'm using 1µF caps (I also tried 0.1µF).

The "cable"

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
  • edited April 2006
    6.jpg[/QUOTE]Your config.

Hi again diephage:)

stick with your original design and make sure the pins are configured as follows

if the view was from behind monitor= (colours according to your earlier post)

top pin starts with
    gnd(green)
    vcc+5(yellow/orange)
    rx(blue)
    tx(brown)

You are using a db9 header to connect to the computers com1 port? looks like a db25!
    If you still have problems i will show u my cable that works;)

Ps glad you got windas working! once you get your monitor configured the sense of accomplishment is wonderful!!!!:tongue:
  • edited April 2006
    Ross wrote:
    6.jpg
    Your config.

Hi again diephage:)

stick with your original design and make sure the pins are configured as follows

if the view was from behind monitor= (colours according to your earlier post)

top pin starts with
    gnd(green)
    vcc+5(yellow/orange)
    rx(blue)
    tx(brown)

You are using a db9 header to connect to the computers com1 port? looks like a db25!
    If you still have problems i will show u my cable that works;)

Ps glad you got windas working! once you get your monitor configured the sense of accomplishment is wonderful!!!!:tongue:[/QUOTE]

:respect: Ahhh...:celebrate The pattern is {Ground, VCC, RX, TX} Makes all the difference when you listen to the speakers and talk into the microphone... I thought that I swapped it when I was testing... oh well. It works now.

Yep, I've got a db9/db25 cable. Since its my only serial cable left, I didn't want to cut it up - hence the db25 connection in the photo - I bought a female end and a housing for her - that's her naked back end in the pic.

You're not kidding about the feeling of accomplishment... now I can royally screw up the monitor from the software side... awesome!
  • edited April 2006
    Glad you got it working!!!! Hope i helped. If you need any more tips then just SHOUT!

If your convergence is not sorted by using windas there are other ways to adjust this inside the monitor.

Ross
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    can someone help me? i have the same isue on my dell 991, i don;t know where the resister is and so i can get it fix, i don;t think i wanna go with the cable route...thx

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=380496#post380496
  • kajetankajetan New
    edited April 2006
    Hello there!

I am user of Sony CPD E530 monitor. A happy user since a few hours, thanks to all of you!

Black on my monitor was not black, it was quite bright blue. Reducing "G2" in WinDAS software did the trick for my black color, but still I have too blue picture in white areas. Well, I'm still working on it, hope to get a colorimeter in my hands and calibrate the monitor. Wish me luck ;)
    edited April 2006
    allenpan wrote:
    can someone help me? i have the same isue on my dell 991, i don;t know where the resister is and so i can get it fix, i don;t think i wanna go with the cable route...thx

According to this post:
    http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=periphs&Number=643308&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

You need to be looking at R050 (1M Ohm). Using another 1M Ohm resister in parallel seems to be the trick.
  • edited April 2006
    Just wondering if anyone found some kind of adjustment in WinDAS to control the brightness compensation during warmup. I just got a refurb for cheap but something's not right. The picture is completely washed out for a while after I turn it on, but looks great (at brightness 30) once it warms up for 20-30 mins. I'm thinking about building my own cable, but didn't want to spend the time/money unless I knew for sure there was a way to fix my problem through DAS.

BTW this thread ROCKS!
  • edited April 2006
    allenpan wrote:

I changed R048 (2.2M, 2W) to about 12M to lower the G2 voltage on my P991. This resistor is located at the upper right of the A board (viewed from the rear of the chassis) and is easily accessible. Most everything else on this board is covered by a metal shield which makes resistor changes somewhat messy.

Changing the resistor fixed all my problems (background tint, retrace lines, excess brightness) but the drastic change in the resitor value just didn't feel right. I eventually ended up going back to the 2.2M value and used Das and a home-made cable to take care of my problems.
    edited April 2006
    -=andy11=- wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone found some kind of adjustment in WinDAS to control the brightness compensation during warmup. I just got a refurb for cheap but something's not right. The picture is completely washed out for a while after I turn it on, but looks great (at brightness 30) once it warms up for 20-30 mins. I'm thinking about building my own cable, but didn't want to spend the time/money unless I knew for sure there was a way to fix my problem through DAS.

BTW this thread ROCKS!

This is normal. I have two g500s that are exactly the same way and have been like this since they where new. I believe you are stuck waiting 20 mins after power on before the monitor starts to look good.
  • edited April 2006
    To anyone who had success with WinDAS, I need your help. I have the software installed correctly with the proper RS232 adapter. I can start WinDAS fine, but when I go to save the DAT file I get a "ECS Syntax Error" pop-up. I click on OK, and then GO to proceed with saving the file. But when I use the Expert Viewer to open up the file, all my settings are 0. I am reluctant to edit the file and load it to the monitor. Anyone has any advice? Thanks.
  • edited April 2006
    rick74 wrote:
    To anyone who had success with WinDAS, I need your help. I have the software installed correctly with the proper RS232 adapter. I can start WinDAS fine, but when I go to save the DAT file I get a "ECS Syntax Error" pop-up. I click on OK, and then GO to proceed with saving the file. But when I use the Expert Viewer to open up the file, all my settings are 0. I am reluctant to edit the file and load it to the monitor. Anyone has any advice? Thanks.

Sorry, never mind. I had the wrong monitor model selected. This forum is awesome. My monitor's brightness level is back to normal. Thanks all.

rick
  • edited April 2006
    I've got an hp p1120 myself. I tell WinDAS it's an HP D8915.
    I've built a version of the cable that requires no capacitors. It uses a MAX233, which has the caps built in.
    Cheers! :beer:
  • edited April 2006
    Dear P991 DELL SONY,

Thank you so much, thank you so very much!
    And thank you to everyone else who supplied valuable information to this thread.

For 5 months I have had a brightness problem with my Sun GDM-5410. It was within acceptable limits once the monitor warmed up. However, recently scanline-retrace started appearing when the monitor was cold and I was beginning to worry that it would start shutting down because of the high G2 voltage.
    Actually, I had already built my cable and circuit 5 months ago, but gave up because no matter what I did (I tried absolutely everything), I always received a message about not being able to communicate with the monitor. Thanks to the person who created and posted the information about building the cable (in this thread), and now you, I successfully changed the G2 value from 180 to 150.
    However, I ran into a couple of "down-heartening" problems, even with the help of your guide and would now like to give you and everyone else some tips in case someone runs into the same problems that I had.

Firstly, I had to select the correct COM port and my monitor model- no problem there. Then I successfully downloaded the monitor data to a file (the screen went blank for 15 seconds) and edited the G2 value in Notepad. However, after trying to "Load Data to Set" (the screen went blank, and stayed blank) I switched the monitor off for 30 seconds and back on again, I was then confronted with an unusual message (sorry, did not write it down) mentioning my monitor model, I clicked "yes" a couple of times and got the message "ECS Syntax Error". I thought that maybe Notepad had garbled the file format (and I was right, but read on) so I looked at the original file I had download from the monitor and the newly saved file side-by-side in two notepad windows and they appeared identical, except for the changed G2 value. I started getting frustrated, so I decided to look at the edited file using the WinDAS viewer and got a window saying "save format is different". I re-edited the downloaded file in the Hex Workshop Hex editor and this time it worked. The screen went blank for around 60 seconds though, so I was just about to switch the monitor off thinking the update had failed again. Perhaps you should mention that it can take this long in your terrific guide. I look forward to any possible additions to your guide about other values that could be changed - but no there's no pressure. :)

Also, the circuit diagram mentioned a DB-25 serial connection when most computers will have only a DB-9 connection. You can buy an adaptor, or scour Google links with some of these or similar search terms: max232cpe diagram DB9

I do not remember which sites or search terms I used exactly to get the information I needed, but by looking for circuit diagrams with the max232 chip you will almost certainly find the right connections.

Thanks again! I need my precious 21 inch monitor for my work and studies, but can not easily afford another one. With everyone's help I was able to save the one I have.
  • edited May 2006
    trying to help a friend with his sony E-540, i ran int a problem and now look like a dope...

i tried modifying his G2 level via notepad, wordpad and MS WORD

and it keeps telling me the model has been changed, and wont let me upload the dat..

infact i tried just opening the file in notepad and saving, not changing anyting
    same deal....
    and yes it had the .dat extension :)

HELP!!!!! :(
  • edited May 2006
    allenpan wrote:

I successfully fixed the overbrightness on the P991 by putting a 1M Ohm resistor in parallel with R050. It is a tight fit in there, that resistor is surface mounted and pretty dang small. Someone else here reported doing something with R048 that may not have worked as well. Here is an older post of mine that has additional helpful information. The fix is working beautifully for me, using the monitor right now, actually.

You need to go to hutzelman site, he does the resistor fix on a similiar model, the P1110, and documents it very nicely there, google it.

This is where I originally discovered that the P991 requires a change to a different value resistor than on the P1110:

http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/pr...08&type=thread

which identified the necessary resistor to modify as R050. This is one of those tiny square mini resistors. Apparently, you need to put a 1M Ohm resistor in parallel with it to fix the problem or replace it entirely with a 500K Ohm. I am enclosing a picture here of the P991 board (caution, large file) so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://img349.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9915rs.jpg

The area in question is in the upper right hand part of the board. R050 is that tiny black thing just left of IC005.

Good luck and be safe, there are some pretty serious voltages floating around in that area, enough to ruin your day.
  • edited May 2006
    mrtube wrote:
    trying to help a friend with his sony E-540, i ran int a problem and now look like a dope...

and it keeps telling me the model has been changed, and wont let me upload the dat..

infact i tried just opening the file in notepad and saving, not changing anyting
    same deal....

The best thing to do is to save monitor data to another file /folder and open and edit with a program called edit.com which is located in your computer here C:WINDOWS\system32\edit.com When you right click on the new .dat file open it as and then select the program from the list and then select other and locate edit in the folder shown above.

Hope that helps mate.

Ross
  • edited May 2006
    Help! after bring G2 to 120, my P1130 looks perfect. but the osd locked up after I power off the monitor and on again. Anyone know how to unlock it? Thanks a lot!!!:thumbsup:
  • edited May 2006
    if you dont already have them get the CR1 files for windas, then
    go to procedure, and "FINALIZE" its the last thing on the list
    tab to the OK button that i can never see, hit enter, itll say 'FINALIZE??" say YES
    itll finalize, and your OSD will be unlocked
  • edited May 2006
    mrtube wrote:
    tab to the OK button that i can never see, hit enter, itll say 'FINALIZE??" say YES

Thanks! unlocked after finalize from Procedure...:ausflag:
  • edited May 2006
    Mr tube did you get your dat files edited ok?
  • edited May 2006
    I'd like to thank all of you again for all your hard work. This thread rocks!

I sucessfully built a cable and used WINDAS to fix the brightness. I previously used the resistor fix, but I snipped it out after I verified that my cable was working. The cable fix is definitely as good or better than the resistor fix, if anyone is wondering.

Someone linked to a Nokia test image generator earlier but the link was dead. Here is a working link:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/Nokia-Monitor-Test.shtml

By the way, when you are building your cable, make sure you connect the ground of the serial cable to the ground of the monitor power supply with a resistor. I didn't do this and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working.

I do have a question: Does anyone have details on how to perform the fine-tuning convergence adjustments? I have tried Procedure->Convergence Adjustment from within the WinDAS software, but this only allows adjustment of the same 4 values you can adjust through the monitor's OSD. I have some really awful convergence in my corners and it would be nice to fix it up. (Actually I have played with a lot of the stuff in the Procedure section, but most of it requires special equipment to adjust properly)
  • edited May 2006
    In WinDAS, under Adjustments, go to Dcnv (Dynamic Convergence), and then you can adjust the convergence of practically every inch of the screen. Try it, but remember to save you DAT file first before you try it. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Luis A. Grunauer, Jr.
    gravix wrote:
    I'd like to thank all of you again for all your hard work. This thread rocks!

I sucessfully built a cable and used WINDAS to fix the brightness. I previously used the resistor fix, but I snipped it out after I verified that my cable was working. The cable fix is definitely as good or better than the resistor fix, if anyone is wondering.

Someone linked to a Nokia test image generator earlier but the link was dead. Here is a working link:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/Nokia-Monitor-Test.shtml

By the way, when you are building your cable, make sure you connect the ground of the serial cable to the ground of the monitor power supply with a resistor. I didn't do this and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working.

I do have a question: Does anyone have details on how to perform the fine-tuning convergence adjustments? I have tried Procedure->Convergence Adjustment from within the WinDAS software, but this only allows adjustment of the same 4 values you can adjust through the monitor's OSD. I have some really awful convergence in my corners and it would be nice to fix it up. (Actually I have played with a lot of the stuff in the Procedure section, but most of it requires special equipment to adjust properly)
  • edited May 2006
    From the Windows START, go to RUN, then type EDIT. Once in EDIT, go to FILE - OPEN, and then open the DAT file you wish to modify as OPEN BINARY (this box must be checked). Once it is opened, scroll down and locate the G2* value and modify it with the value of your choice. Once this is done, save the adjusted file and then try loading it on WinDAS. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Luis A. Grunauer, Jr.

(*): G2 value can be identify on WinDAS by opening the DAT file with the HELP - EXPERT - VIEWER Viewer

mrtube wrote:
  • edited May 2006
    From the Windows START, go to RUN, then type EDIT. Once in EDIT, go to FILE - OPEN, and then open the DAT file you wish to modify as OPEN BINARY (this box must be checked). Once it is opened, scroll down and locate the G2* value and modify it with the value of your choice. Once this is done, save the adjusted file and then try loading it on WinDAS. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Luis A. Grunauer, Jr.

(*): G2 value can be identify on WinDAS by opening the DAT file with the HELP - EXPERT - VIEWER Viewer

mrtube wrote:

same deal....

• edited May 2006

Sincerely,

Luis A. Grunauer, Jr.

rick74 wrote:
  • edited May 2006
    LAGRUNAUER wrote:

Sincerely,

Luis A. Grunauer, Jr.

Didnt i kind of cover this after Mr Tubes question already?????????????????????:banghead: ;);)
  • edited May 2006
    rick74 wrote:

I ran into this same message once when my homemade cable was not connected to the monitor at all! I had to short a few pins in the serial cable in order to get the connection to work, and if those pins are shorted (but the cable is not connected to the monitor), then the Sony software will report an ECS Syntax Error but still offer to "save the data". Then, when it is saved, you will see it is all zeros.

So, I would verify that your cable is the correct part, and that you do not need to switch some of the pins, perhaps. By the way, my G500 blanks the tube and turns off the power LED when it is saving data: it goes completely dark during the operation.

Good luck!
    LAGRUNAUER wrote:
    In WinDAS, under Adjustments, go to Dcnv (Dynamic Convergence), and then you can adjust the convergence of practically every inch of the screen. Try it, but remember to save you DAT file first before you try it. Hope this helps!

Ah, thank you Luis, I see the option. Unfortunately it is greyed out and I cannot select it! I wonder what gives; everything else works fine. I tried changing models and adding signal generators in the config screen thinking that perhaps it wanted me to use a signal generator or it didn't like my particular model, but nothing seemed to ungrey the Dcnv option. Do you have any ideas? Should I perhaps reinstall WINDAS? (I am trying to perform the adjustment on a Sony CPD-G500, by the way)
  • edited May 2006
    If anyone is curious, I have concluded that it is not possible to use the dynamic convergence adjustment on the CPD-G500. I believe you must have a P99-based monitor (like the GDM-F500) to do this. The G1-based monitors like the CPD-G500 and Dell P1110 don't have this capability.

Ah well. =D