DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Oh, do you know what the default brightness of your p1130 is? I think I may have set the G2 voltage on my p991 too low. As of right now, the color and brightness settings are a little goofy although tolerable.

Well, my G2 value is 163 and the OSD settings are:

Contrast: 100
    Brightness : 70
    Color Mode: Variable = 11000K

These are the default settings my monitor came with.

The thing is the variation range is very big ! When I first turn it on the image is very bright, almost irritating, but after half an hour the blacks become so intense that at some point I might be tempted to increase the brightness a little :eek2: !

Anyway, the end result is very satisfacting, but the wait is kinda bugging me...
    I'll play with Windas a little more...another thing that drives me crazy is everytime I modify anything within Windas, after I turn the monitor off and then on the OSD is locked and I have to aplly Final Setting which modifies my contrast, brightness and color settings.
    I've also found out that the convergence adjustment is very tricky to do and the results are not that great since in Dcnv even if I adjust one square within that "chess board" the other squares that represent screen space get affected...
    Well, I've got a lot of work ahead...
    Any suggestions regarding which is the first thing to do ?
    Focus or Convergence adjustment ?

Thanks !
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited December 2010
    If you're confident, go for focus. Mine was actually just fine and I think I made it worse since I suck at perceiving some things. Convergence was actually what I needed to adjust, and it had to be with Windas. (And now it's back to being awful due to that converter going berserk.)

I can't remember my G2 value but I think it's around 163. All my Windas related settings are on the other PC which is disconnected and I can't be arsed to hook it up right now.
    Contrast 100
    Brightness 35
    Cancel moire: 50

Size/center

Geometry

Convergence

Landing

I had these before I touched Windas.

I now use 65 contrast, 50 brightness, no cancel moire. Unsure what my color was, but I now use variable 8100K.

Before using Windas, I was running sRGB mode and using powerstrip to majorly reduce the brightess/contrast. Only then were colors similar to my older monitor. (Whether they were accurate or not isn't quite relevant to me, as I've been looking at that thing since 2004. I don't react kindly to change, no matter if it's good or bad.)
  • edited December 2010
    I figured out what was causing the OSD to lock up. The software (I guess by default) tells the monitor to lock the OSD menu, but I don't know why. It's just part of the procedure. However, sometimes when you finish adjusting something, WinDAS does not tell the monitor to unlock the OSD menu. I think it's a bug in the program. However there are some ways to prevent it:

1) When you finish adjusting the software, make sure you click OK on the window you were using to adjust your monitor before you unplug the cable from the service port.

2) If you are going to load settings into the monitor, make sure you do not click the CANCEL button on that window. The program does not tell the monitor to unlock its OSD menu.

So far that's all I know that causes the monitor to lock up.
    I've also found out that the convergence adjustment is very tricky to do and the results are not that great since in Dcnv even if I adjust one square within that "chess board" the other squares that represent screen space get affected...
    I also did the convergence adjustment on my p991 and I noticed that just before I got to the step where I make my adjustments the middle section of the left side of the screen got really messed up. I don't know what that's about but you just have to deal with it. The trick I used to get the convergence right was to memorize how bad the convergence was, pay attention to how the software adjusts it, and take a guess at what seems right.

Another thing I have learned about the saved files is they also have the convergence, color, geometry and everything you can think of stored in them. So... when you finish your adjustment, you should save the settings as a different file, or if you accidentally screw it up, you can just reload the original saved file back into the monitor.
  • edited December 2010
    The geometry adjustments that I make in "Touch Up Adjustment" are not saved into the EEPROM...at least in my case...:(
    I tried "Finalize Setting"...no go...
    I proceded to "Save data to file" IMEDIATELLY after I made the modifications, than loaded the DAT, shutdown the monitor, turn it back on...useless...the old settings came back.

The only viable solution is to manually edit the DAT file with the values I set within "Touch Up Adjustment" after I've identified them, save the DAT file and then flash the EEPROM.
    By the way, I only use this: http://www.pnotepad.org/ DO NOT USE NOTEPAD !!!

It works, 'couse I can check if the values remain by loading "Touch Up Adjustment" again and confirming the new values remained...

WINDAS is a great tool but it would have been a lot less pain in the ass if things were a little user-friendly and bullshit like OSD lock weren't there in the first place...
    About that...anyone got any ideea how to permantely erase the "Control Lock" entry from the EEPROM....? :vimp:
  • edited December 2010
    The geometry adjustments that I make in "Touch Up Adjustment" are not saved into the EEPROM...at least in my case...:(
    I tried "Finalize Setting"...no go...
    I proceded to "Save data to file" IMEDIATELLY after I made the modifications, than loaded the DAT, shutdown the monitor, turn it back on...useless...the old settings came back.
    When you say shutdown the monitor, do you mean you power off the monitor like unplug it or push the power button? Or do you mean the WinDAS software shuts off your monitor?
  • edited December 2010
    Push the power button to turn the monitor OFF and then ON
  • edited December 2010
    Push the power button to turn the monitor OFF and then ON
    Ok, try to do your adjustment again, but this time don't turn off the monitor until after the software finishes the adjustment and you select OK. The monitor should be safe to turn off by then.
  • edited December 2010
    Ofcourse I did that. I pressed the final OK button, than saved the EEPROM to a DAT file, closed Windas, removed the cable, turn OFF the monitor and then back ON.
    Nevermind now, that Touch Up adjustment for geometry was the only one with this issue and more than that I can easily adjust the geometry from the OSD, so that's not a problem anymore...
    Did you notice that you have actualy 3 convergence adjustment options ? :)

The first one is in the "Touch Up" menu option which I use to to get the central front and bottom convergence the best I can.
    Then there's another one in "Procedure" that I secondly use to perfect what I couldn't do very well in the first stage and lastly Dcnv for corner adjustment.

In the first 2 passes I try to get the middle just right neverminding that I screw up the corners and then finally I can corect them with Dcnv...this is the first time I'm getting some really impressive results...and I'm doing it on 2048x1536 80 Hz :)

P.S. Try to use a magnifying glass...it works wonders, besides you'll get rid of your monitor in a few years, but your eyes will stick around for a while :wink:
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited December 2010
    and I'm doing it on 2048x1536 80 Hz

Lucky you. Mine just goes out of frequency no matter the refresh rate.

PS: I adjust convergence with Everest's monitor diagnostics tool. The convergence screen is really nice compared to whatever other 'grid' guides I've looked at.
  • edited December 2010
    I adjust one square within that "chess board"
    How did you get that adjustment to work? I tried it on my monitor and nothing happened when I tried to adjust it.:confused2
  • edited December 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Lucky you. Mine just goes out of frequency no matter the refresh rate.

PS: I adjust convergence with Everest's monitor diagnostics tool. The convergence screen is really nice compared to whatever other 'grid' guides I've looked at.

Well I'm willing to make an empty bet with you that your P1130 can do 2048x1536 :cool2: ! After all, why shouldn't it ?
    It's just a tube that syncs an analogue signal. All you need is proper bandwidth or Horizontal Frequency measured in KHz.
    Dell P1130 has a 130 Khz bandwidth.
    Memorize this formula:

Vsync (Hz) = (H bandwidth (Hz) / Vertical Lines) * 0.95

Ex for 2048x1536:
    (130000 / 1536) * 0.95 = 80.4 Hz

Your problem is most definitely either with Vista / 7 or Forceware Driver in case you use nVidia. I cannot speak of ATI 'couse all I have is a GeForce 8800 GT.

Yes, it's true, your monitor driver doesn't allow you to go that far up so you'll have to modify the INF file in case your operating system and vga driver are not the culprits.

I use Windows XP and Riva Tuner to make custom resolutions such as 2048x1536 80Hz.

Here's my modified monitor driver in case you need it.
  • edited December 2010
    How did you get that adjustment to work? I tried it on my monitor and nothing happened when I tried to adjust it.:confused2

Select Dcnv and follow the procedure information. I know, that "chess board" might be hidden from view by the current windows. Look for it !
    Click bypass when it asks you instead of OK.
    You can get a feel for the range by moving the 2 sliders all the way to one side but first remember the original value. :bigggrin:

P.S. Ofcourse you need 2 monitors, one from which to operate Windas and the P1130 with a grid like this.
  • edited December 2010
    Select Dcnv and follow the procedure information. I know, that "chess board" might be hidden from view by the current windows. Look for it !
    Click bypass when it asks you instead of OK.
    You can get a feel for the range by moving the 2 sliders all the way to one side but first remember the original value. :bigggrin:
    I am seeing the "chess board" but when I select a section to adjust and I try to adjust the slider, nothing happens.
  • edited December 2010
    I am seeing the "chess board" but when I select a section to adjust and I try to adjust the slider, nothing happens.

Here's a more indepth tutorial:

http://dor-lomin.com/images/forums/hardocp/windas-conv/

That's the best I can help...:(

You might have some other problems...Windas cable related ?...Didn't use a grid like mine that was the right resolution ?....I don't know...

Here's a tip once you solve this issue:

Use Nokia Test, hit Geometry and then go to the last grid (the one with many tiny squares). Hit PrtScn, paste it in Paint and then use the picture for your Wallpaper.
    Within your VGA driver use Dualview (nVidia) to configure your 2 monitors independently (you don't really need 2 computers like the tutorial says).
    On one monitor use Windas and on the P1130 see the effects of your adjustments projected on the grid that is now your wallpaper. Be sure the grid has the same resolution as the monitor resolution.

Hope this helps :(
  • edited December 2010
    It's probably most likely that I am using the wrong resolution, however I am using a p991 and I don't know what the resolution is for the software to make it work. I think I have to try 1600 x 1200 and maybe it'll start working.
  • edited December 2010
    Well I tried the 1600 x 1200 resolution up to 85 hz and still got no result. Then I tried 1920 x 1200 and also got no result. I am wondering if this monitor doesn't support that Dcnv adjustment.:-/
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited December 2010
    Did you have a look at Everest?

Attached sample image.

Edit: Yeah, I just booted to XP and could select a multitude of resolutions including the 16:9 and 16:10 1920x ones. Chose 2048x1536, would only go up to 60Hz, even if I forced it different in the INF or used the Nvidia Control Panel to set a custom resolution at anything higher.

I created the same driver under Vista x64, installed it, didn't work. Can't even set the custom resolutions, NVCP tells me it failed. So yup, the drivers on XP still work while Vista+ get shoved to LCD optimization, just like this GTX 460. All boot screens are in the monitor's 'native' resolution and refresh rate, just upscaled so everything's nice and blurry. My 9800GTX+ didn't do this and I had more stock resolution settings available in the NVCP.

Really hating how old hardware is being deprecated, especially something important like CRT displays.
  • edited December 2010
    Well I tried the 1600 x 1200 resolution up to 85 hz and still got no result. Then I tried 1920 x 1200 and also got no result. I am wondering if this monitor doesn't support that Dcnv adjustment.:-/

Or there's a problem with Windas.
    Here try to use mine, it's the most comprehensive I've found on the net.
    You'll have to use dllregsvr.exe in the main folder to register MSFLXGRD.OCX then select Manual in Configuration and then your monitor.
    After that exit and re-enter Windas.

http://rapidshare.com/files/436651965/Sony_WinDAS.rar
  • edited December 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Did you have a look at Everest?

Attached sample image.

I have this test grid too in Nokia_Test I uploaded earlier.
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Edit: Yeah, I just booted to XP and could select a multitude of resolutions including the 16:9 and 16:10 1920x ones. Chose 2048x1536, would only go up to 60Hz, even if I forced it different in the INF or used the Nvidia Control Panel to set a custom resolution at anything higher.

Still, it should display a refresh rate up to 75 Hz, at least with my modified driver. Try to install mine after you uninstall yours. Update Driver -> Install from a list... -> Don't Search. I will choose... Then you should see on 2048x1536 on the refresh options from 60 to 75 Hz. Only then I use Riva Tuner to create 2048x1536 80 Hz.
    DAOWAce wrote:
    I created the same driver under Vista x64, installed it, didn't work. Can't even set the custom resolutions, NVCP tells me it failed. So yup, the drivers on XP still work while Vista+ get shoved to LCD optimization, just like this GTX 460. All boot screens are in the monitor's 'native' resolution and refresh rate, just upscaled so everything's nice and blurry. My 9800GTX+ didn't do this and I had more stock resolution settings available in the NVCP.

That's why I still use WinXp ;)
    DAOWAce wrote:
    Really hating how old hardware is being deprecated, especially something important like CRT displays.

It's called marketing and as long as people will still buy LCDs they will continue to shove bullshit down our throats :mad2:
  • edited December 2010
    Or there's a problem with Windas.
    Here try to use mine, it's the most comprehensive I've found on the net.
    You'll have to use dllregsvr.exe in the main folder to register MSFLXGRD.OCX then select Manual in Configuration and then your monitor.
    After that exit and re-enter Windas.
    I have downloaded WinDAS 3 times now and the second time is when I registered the MSFLXGRD.OCX. Although my mind has been off the monitor for the past couple of days because I just received a junk flat screen monitor that I have been trying to get running (which has not been going well). I'll try to download the software a fourth time and see if it fixes itself.
  • edited December 2010
    then finally I can corect them with Dcnv
    Maybe I am doing something wrong. Can you give me the exact instructions on how you are making the Dcnv adjustment?
  • edited December 2010
    It's called marketing and as long as people will still buy LCDs they will continue to shove bullshit down our throats :mad2:
    They should at least make it an option to order CRT's.
  • edited December 2010
    No, I was just telling the order I was doing my adjustments in order to get the best results on my monitor...

Try downloading mine...if it doesn't work this time, then the monitor doesn't support that kind of alignment, although it will really be weird since convergence is the chief issue with aperture grille CRTs...

Try asking somebody else with a p991 :confused2

Do other adjustments such as geometry, landing or white balance adjustments work with your monitor ?
  • edited December 2010
    Do other adjustments such as geometry, landing or white balance adjustments work with your monitor ?
    Everything else works. I have perfected my p991 to the best of my ability (only with the stuff that actually works). I can even do the other convergence adjustment. I also tried the landing adjustment but it didn't work either (I'm pretty sure this is not supported). It's like the issue with Touch Up not working with your p1130. Gotta love technology.
  • edited December 2010
    if it doesn't work this time, then the monitor doesn't support that kind of alignment
    Here's something weird. Instead of clicking BYPASS I accidentally clicked OK and my convergence got really messed up in Dcnv. I think it does support this adjustment (unless everything gets reset when you click OK). If it does support this adjustment, why won't WinDAS adjust it?

PS: To put the convergence back to the way I adjust it, I had to reload the last modified changes of my monitor and during the loading process my computer froze up completely and the monitor shut itself down.:wow2: Because there was incomplete data in the G2, the monitor refused to turn on. After a few times of trying to get the monitor to start responding, I finally got the settings loaded back into the monitor and it started working again. I got some advice that WinDAS might be a WIN32K or something like that. If it is, then it will screw up every now and then on XP. So BE AWARE.
  • edited December 2010
    It's normal for the monitor to shutdown for about 30 seconds...I've done the load/save firmware about 30 times from the moment I got my monitor until I found out all the details I was interested in.

As long as you have the original DAT file which I presume you have created when you first got Windas then it's safe to make any adjustments you like.

I think you're talking about editing the DAT file with NOTEPAD.
    By doing this the file will be modified and may get corrupted. I only edit the DAT with Programmer's Notepad which is attached in my Windas archive and it's safe 'cause I've done a lot of editing with it (that Touch Up geometry issue).

P.S. I think I've set the convergence as good as I possibly can. What a pain in the neck this was..:eek3:.
  • edited December 2010
    It's normal for the monitor to shutdown for about 30 seconds...I've done the load/save firmware about 30 times from the moment I got my monitor until I found out all the details I was interested in.

As long as you have the original DAT file which I presume you have created when you first got Windas then it's safe to make any adjustments you like.

I think you're talking about editing the DAT file with NOTEPAD.
    By doing this the file will be modified and may get corrupted. I only edit the DAT with Programmer's Notepad which is attached in my Windas archive and it's safe 'cause I've done a lot of editing with it (that Touch Up geometry issue).
    What I mean by the monitor shutting off is there was no green light and it was blinking amber instead meaning there was an error. This is what the monitor does when it shuts down in an emergency to prevent damage, for example. It wasn't because the file was corrupt because after forcing my computer off and then turning it back on, the file loaded just fine and I hadn't made any changes to the file. Also my notepad will not work with reading the file (something about a missing hex-editor). Same story with Word Pad. Instead I had to use the edit command in DOS (command).

One other thing about the files: Every monitor (even if it's the same model) is different which means different configurations. I have 2 p991's and they do have slight configurations (I tried using the same file from one and loaded it into the other and got a horrible red tint on the image). You should always make sure you always have 1 file PER MONITOR.

PS: 30 seconds? Mine takes 3 minutes minimum! And what do you mean by "programmer's notepad?"
  • edited December 2010
    I understand now.
    Yes, 2 monitors even the same model from the same batch have different configuration settings. Everytime a CRT is built it gets calibrated by hand (focus on the FBT, convergence on the CRT neck and landing with purity rings). These things are sealed with glue if you take a look inside the monitor. They generally never need adjustment except for focus which may drift in time. That's the reason a Digital Alignment will never be the same for the same 2 monitor models.

I posted windas a few replies back. In the main folder there's a folder called "Utilitati" (I'm not english :p) where you can find this text editor. It offers a very ellegant workspace.
  • edited December 2010
    I posted windas a few replies back. In the main folder there's a folder called "Utilitati" (I'm not english :p) where you can find this text editor. It offers a very ellegant workspace.
    Cool. Saves me the hassle of messing with DOS.:D Thanks.
  • edited December 2010
    There's one thing that still bugs me about Windas...Everytime I use the Final Setting procedure in order to unlock the OSD Menu the Brightness, Contrast and Color Mode get reset to 85 Contrast, 50 Brightness and Preset Color Mode.

Is there a method for either:

1. Permanently remove the OSD lock-up after Windas use, turn monitor OFF and then ON or find a way to unlock OSD without Finalize Setting

OR

2. Make Finalize Setting NOT reset those before mentioned settings.

:(