DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Is there a method for either:

1. Permanently remove the OSD lock-up after Windas use, turn monitor OFF and then ON or find a way to unlock OSD without Finalize Setting

OR

2. Make Finalize Setting NOT reset those before mentioned settings.
    I forgot how I did it but I managed to get it to remember my settings in the saved file. I recently had to make more changes on a different resolution and I can't figure out how to make it remember those settings. I know It isn't Touch Up it's something else. I'll look into it a little more.
  • edited December 2010
    Somehow it worked the first try on my p991. It isn't saving the geometry settings anymore :sad2:. Don't know why. It's saving everything else. As far as the OSD locking up on you I don't know the whole story on that. Can you tell me in detail (even the littlest things) what you are doing to try to save any settings before the OSD locks up on you?
  • edited December 2010
    Somehow it worked the first try on my p991. It isn't saving the geometry settings anymore :sad2:. Don't know why. It's saving everything else. As far as the OSD locking up on you I don't know the whole story on that. Can you tell me in detail (even the littlest things) what you are doing to try to save any settings before the OSD locks up on you?

Well, I do what I have to do in Windas, close the program, pull the cable out of the monitor ECS socket, turn tne monitor OFF and then after a few seconds back ON and voila the OSD is locked :crazy:...

After this I have to use Finalize Setting to unlock it but it restores some settings to defaults (the ones I mentioned in an earlier post) and as of new I found out it also resets the Landing. I recently done some adjustments on Landing and after using Finalize Setting and then turned the monitor ON (after closing Windas, pulling the cable and shutting down :mean:) I've found the screen to be discolored in the corners (the adjustments done were no longer valid since it resets them after Finalize Bullshit).

So, in short, all we need is to stay away from Finalize Setting.
    Period !
  • edited December 2010
    The only sittuation were the OSD is not locked is when I use Windas only to "Save to file" option.

So clearly, the OSD locks up when Windas thinks the data was not properly saved to the monitor EEPROM.

But how can I be sure the data is properly saved since I always click the "OK" buttons in Windas, properly close the program, etc ????:grr:
  • edited December 2010
    So, in short, all we need is to stay away from Finalize Setting.
    Period !
    I finally figured it out! After you do your adjustments in procedure (landing, geometry, etc) do the finalize setting. Don't try to save the file until after you finalize. The only thing that will get effected is your brightness and contrast settings. But the OSD shouldn't be locked anymore so you can put them back to the way you want it and then you can save your new settings. See if that doesn't work.

Can't believe I forgot that.:doh:
  • edited December 2010
    Well, I do what I have to do in Windas, close the program, pull the cable out of the monitor ECS socket, turn tne monitor OFF and then after a few seconds back ON and voila the OSD is locked :crazy:...
    I am noticing that only the p1130s seem to have this problem. It's possible there is a bug in either the monitor's programming or a bug in WinDAS for this model. Wonder if there are any other models out there...
  • edited December 2010
    I finally figured it out! After you do your adjustments in procedure (landing, geometry, etc) do the finalize setting. Don't try to save the file until after you finalize. The only thing that will get effected is your brightness and contrast settings. But the OSD shouldn't be locked anymore so you can put them back to the way you want it and then you can save your new settings. See if that doesn't work.

Can't believe I forgot that.:doh:

You my friend are a f@%#@$g genius ! :hair:

I can't belive I tried all other things except that... Well I did but I always was put down by it reseting brightness, contrast and color mode...

I can now even adjust landing in the OSD, apply Final Setting, readjust from OSD those above, save to DAT and then shut down.
    The only downside is I have to readust again the brightness, contrast and color mode after I turn ON the monitor 'cause it reverts back to defaults (no problem since the OSD is unlocked), but more importantly the landing settings stick now !

I even compared the 2 DAT files (before and after) and the only difference is in the landing registers !
    All I have to do is reapply those B, C and Color Mode settings twice, before saving to file and after I turn the monitor back ON.

Thanks !
  • edited December 2010
    Actually you can adjust anything and save the final values before saving the settings into a file. :bigggrin:
  • edited December 2010
    Anyone know of a place where I can get a brand new quality VGA cable? One of my p991s is starting to have ghosting on the image.
  • edited December 2010
    Anyone know of a place where I can get a brand new quality VGA cable? One of my p991s is starting to have ghosting on the image.

Well, to be honest, I tried several expensive (snake oil) vga cable to find out almost all of them introduced problems such as "double contour" mouse cursor or the icons's images beeing projected to the opposite corner of the screen due to impedance mismatch...and surprisingly found out that standard "el-cheapo" vga cables included with the monitor to provide better results.

My advice, go buy a standard vga cable that is resonably thick and has ferrite cylinders on both ends.

I did that on my monitors and not only found that it doesn't have any of the problems of "brand-name" custom vga cables but also has better brightness and color (dynamic range) than them.

P.S. On your P991 do you know the combination for the service menu, if any, to find out how many hours of use do they have ?
  • edited December 2010
    This comes from way at the beginning of the thread:
    Don Froula wrote:
    I fixed this problem on my P1110 last night in 2 minutes with NO need for hardware modifications or expensive Sony software. This may not work for all P1110's, but it sure cured the "too bright" problem for me.

- Turn off monitor.

- Hold down the center front panel "set" button. While holding this button down, swich on monitor. Continue holding the "set" button for 4 seconds, release and immediately push again.

- A password prompt will appear on screen. Enter "7711" using the monitor front panel set and arrow keys.

- A service mode screen will come up.

- Maneuver to the "Gray Scale" menu.

- Set "Brightness" to 50% and "Contrast" to 90% (these are the same controls as the normal menu).

- Adjust the "G2" setting down to the optimal brightness. This setting controls the feedback loop for all three R-G-B electron guns in the CRT. I set mine to a value of 125, but your optimal value may differ.

- Turn monitor off and on to exit service mode.

- Fine tune brightness and contrast with normal controls.

-That's it!

This does not work with my p991, but as mentioned 7711 is supposed to be it. If you are able to access your service menu, can you tell me how you are able to access it?

PS: I just got the junk monitor running!
  • edited December 2010
    No, it didn't work for me either...all I can do is push the menu button for about 7 seconds and it displays the model, serial number and manufacture date...that's it.

Regarding Dcnv adjustment issue...have you figured that out ?

Windas has 2 "profiles" for Dcnv, a High and a Low one which is dependent not on resolution but on bandwidth.

When it starts the procedure it first asks you to put out 1600x1200 85Hz (High profile) and after you finish it asks you for 1024x768 60Hz (Low profile).

For the first mode the Low profile adjustments have no effect and vice-versa for 1024x768 60Hz.

But, I've found out for example that on 1024x768 which is considered a low resolution, the Low profile Dcnv adjustments work only until 100Hz inclusive, after this refresh rate all the way up to 156 Hz (max my monitor supports on this resolution) the High profile settings kick in and the Low ones are useless, so it's bandwidth not resolution related !

Maybe you didn't set the resolution and refresh right or you didn't use the appropriate profile for Dcnv !

Another thing that I noticed is these 2 profiles are NOT inter-dependent which means if I intentionally screw up the convergence on High profile (1024x768 156Hz) when I switch to 100Hz or lower on the same resolution the effects of my previous adjustments are not felt.
  • edited December 2010
    No, it didn't work for me either...all I can do is push the menu button for about 7 seconds and it displays the model, serial number and manufacture date...that's it.

Regarding Dcnv adjustment issue...have you figured that out ?

Windas has 2 "profiles" for Dcnv, a High and a Low one which is dependent not on resolution but on bandwidth.

When it starts the procedure it first asks you to put out 1600x1200 85Hz (High profile) and after you finish it asks you for 1024x768 60Hz (Low profile).

For the first mode the Low profile adjustments have no effect and vice-versa for 1024x768 60Hz.

But, I've found out for example that on 1024x768 which is considered a low resolution, the Low profile Dcnv adjustments work only until 100Hz inclusive, after this refresh rate all the way up to 156 Hz (max my monitor supports on this resolution) the High profile settings kick in and the Low ones are useless, so it's bandwidth not resolution related !

Maybe you didn't set the resolution and refresh right or you didn't use the appropriate profile for Dcnv !

Another thing that I noticed is these 2 profiles are NOT inter-dependent which means if I intentionally screw up the convergence on High profile (1024x768 156Hz) when I switch to 100Hz or lower on the same resolution the effects of my previous adjustments are not felt.
    It doesn't tell me to set any resolutions or anything. It just goes straight to the adjustments instead. I'll try different outputs until I start seeing results, but for right now some one is borrowing both my p991's and I will be getting them back in a couple of days. So I can't do anything until then.
  • edited December 2010
    Ok.
    I have a problem which is not Windas but OSD related...
    I simply cannot adjust screen size (horizontal and vertical) for 800x600 and 640x480 :mad2:...once I make the adjustments and change to another resolution or turn off the monitor, when I switch back to that rez the screen size simply resets...
    For all other resolutions everything works ok...
    Have you ever experienced that ?
  • edited December 2010
    Ok.
    I have a problem which is not Windas but OSD related...
    I simply cannot adjust screen size (horizontal and vertical) for 800x600 and 640x480 :mad2:...once I make the adjustments and change to another resolution or turn off the monitor, when I switch back to that rez the screen size simply resets...
    For all other resolutions everything works ok...
    Have you ever experienced that ?
    Yes I have experienced this on my p991s. My only conclusion is the EEPROM (or whatever it is that memorizes the settings) is full and cannot store anything else. Try doing a memory recall on one resolution and see if it saves the settings on 640X480 or 800X600. If not you may have to do the adjustments through WinDAS.

There is a 2nd possibility that your data file stored on your computer may have a missing piece from it. I read somewhere that happened to somebody but it had to do with the geometry settings. You do have the original copy of your p1130's data file, right?
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce US East
    edited December 2010
    So I bought this because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for a normal connector to ship to me and then to buy a USB extension cable for the adapter.

It detects the monitor.

I go to save the DAT file and the monitor shuts off, then I hear an error. I wait 30 seconds, nothing, decide to toggle monitor power. Error message as follows: "ECS2 ERROR Code: 11" then "ECS2 ERROR Code: FFFFF001" then "Check RS232C line".

I'm so sick of troubleshooting PCs.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes I have experienced this on my p991s. My only conclusion is the EEPROM (or whatever it is that memorizes the settings) is full and cannot store anything else.

Yes, it turned up to be EEPROM related !
    Didn't matter if I had reset the entire monitor or just one resolution it just didn't save the entry in the DAT file.

I managed a workaround:

I created a temporary "advanced timing" through nVidia Forceware with the target refresh rates...in my case 160Hz for both 640x480 and 800x600 and then saved the EEPROM into a DAT file. Now the entry appeared as a specific mode under UMT, then I used Touch Up to see what adjustments I needed, write them to a piece of paper (the Touch Up save problem, remember ? :o) and then manually edited the DAT with those values and then loaded the file into the EEPROM and Bingo !

Damn, I need a good night sleep now, I think I cursed today this damn monitor for the entire month...
  • edited December 2010
    DAOWAce wrote:
    So I bought this because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for a normal connector to ship to me and then to buy a USB extension cable for the adapter.

It detects the monitor.

I go to save the DAT file and the monitor shuts off, then I hear an error. I wait 30 seconds, nothing, decide to toggle monitor power. Error message as follows: "ECS2 ERROR Code: 11" then "ECS2 ERROR Code: FFFFF001" then "Check RS232C line".

I'm so sick of troubleshooting PCs.
    You sure you have the right model selected? Also see if you can, if you have another one, connect a monitor to your computer so you can see what's happening and, if you can, pull out your old computer just to use as a signal generator for your p1130. Let me know what happens.
  • edited December 2010
    It just now dawned on me, is there supposed to be a driver installed for the p991 to make the Dcnv adjustment to work?
  • edited December 2010
    It just now dawned on me, is there supposed to be a driver installed for the p991 to make the Dcnv adjustment to work?

No

All you have to do is to select the model name from Windas database.
  • edited December 2010
    Good news! The DCnv adjustment finally works! I noticed when I start the adjustment and it lets me adjust the screen size, the green box that says Screen Size has in parentheses low. That is what the problem was. When you mentioned that the program has a high and low profile, that's when I figured out that low meant. I got the low profile adjusted and am about to start the high profile.

Edit: Finally finished with the entire adjustment
  • edited December 2010
    Turns out trying to enter service mode on the Dell p991 is pointless :sad2:, according to this website:
    http://www.electronicspoint.com/service-mode-dell-ultrascan-p991-t49627.html

I would assume the same for the p1130.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes...I suspected so...
    As for any service set-ups you will require the DAS alignment system with the software and interface. There is also some factory training and proper instrumentation required to do this type of work. This is available to
    authorized service centres only. The cost of this system is far greater
    than even buying a number of new montors.

Well...lucky us ;D... I suppose we're some sort of geniuses then...:wink:
  • edited December 2010
    I wonder...
    I like my image to fit the entire screen. After adjusting this, when I perform a Degauss or Color Return the image slightly shifts from its position, either from left to right or up to down ! This is easily seen on higher resolutions.

This is the first CRT that shifts the screen image position after doing a degauss.

Do you experience something familiar ?
  • edited December 2010
    I wonder...
    I like my image to fit the entire screen. After adjusting this, when I perform a Degauss or Color Return the image slightly shifts from its position, either from left to right or up to down ! This is easily seen on higher resolutions.

This is the first CRT that shifts the screen image position after doing a degauss.

Do you experience something familiar ?
    Sure do. But it happens to me when I turn the monitor on. Deguass has no effect on the positioning of the image. However, when I deguass the image the screen is tilted to the right about 2 or 3 degrees but after the image stabilizes itself the image is no longer tilted. My other p991 tilts to the left about 1 degree. I know this is also true with the Dell p1110.

As far as the color return function goes, I stay away from that function. When I do that the screen gets rediculously bright again.

Both my p991s have several years of usage on them (they were used in a front office before I got them) so it's no surprise to me the image will do unusual things. They still look awesome.:bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:
  • edited December 2010
    I learned the hard way that you need to make sure your screen is warmed up before doing the DCnv adjustment. The convergence on my p991 is a little off when it's cold.
  • edited December 2010
    I did some more research and it looks like (I'm basing this decision off chasis numbers in WinDAS) the only Dell trinitron model that would have a service menu would be the D1626HT. The HP P1100 (D2846A) has a service menu and that Dell model has the same chasis, but I have no way to prove that Dell model has a service menu because I don't have one.
  • edited December 2010
    Something weird just happened to me. I come home, yada yada, and I get on my computer, and when I turn on my monitor the screen is rediculously bright! :hair: It was worse than I had ever seen before because it was so bright the monitor wasn't even displaying my desktop (it was displaying the OSD though). I tried to go into WinDAS and change my G2 value and it has no effect on the monitor; even when I went all the way down to 1 (didn't want to reach 0 because I didn't know what would happen). I loaded the original settings back into the monitor and, although the screen was still very bright, I finally could see an image. I finally got it back down to the way it was before.

I don't know if it was a power surge or something else but somehow other settings were changed in the EEPROM (I saved a copy of the data when the monitor was bright and many values were changed). You have any opinions on what may have happened?
  • edited December 2010
    Can you tell exactly what values have changed ?

You can open 2 instances of Programmer's Notepad, one with the original and one with the problem DAT and compare them by doing Alt-Tab several times. After that you must use Help -> Expert -> Viewer in Windas to see exactly what the changed value corresponds to.

I never experienced that...:confused:...and it's quite unusual for the monitor to change the values stored in the EEPROM all by itself.
  • edited December 2010
    So far only on the first line, just the geometry changed. I still have a lot more to look for in the two files so it'll be a while before I know all the values that changed.

EDIT: It looks like a memory recall was performed. I compared the values to my original copy of the settings before I made any changes. Everything is the same except for the G2 values.