*NEW* SiI3x12: Serial ATA (SATA) RAID/IDE BIOS v.4250 Released

Comments

• edited January 2005
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

When i type 'updflash r4250.bin', this message appears :

Updflash v3.19 (06292004)

This utility is for flash chip used on PC add-on card only !
    This utility is not for flash chip in MacOS add-on card or onboard chipset!
    Continue? (Y/N)

Flash memory status is dh
    Check for variable sector flash chips

The flash memory chip in use is not one of the following:
    SST SST39SF010, SST39VF010, and SST39SF020
    AMD Am29F010B, Am29LV010B, Am29F040B, Am29LV400B
    STMicroelectronics M29F010B, M29W040B, M29W400B
    SANYO LE28C1001DT
    WinBond W29EE011 and W29EE512
    Atmel AT49BV512, AT49LV040, AT29LV010

Select flash memory type:
    1. AMD 29F010B/29LV010B 1Mb compatible
    2. AMD 29F040B 4Mb compatible
    3. AMD 29LV400B 4Mb compatible
    4. SST 39SF010 1Mb compatible
    5. SST 39SF020 2Mb compatible
    6. WinBond 29EE011/Sanyo LE28C1001D 1Mb compatible
    7. WinBond 29EE512 512Kb compatible
    8. Atmel AT49BV512 512Kb compatible
    9. Atmel AT49LV040 4Mb compatible
    10. Quit

Command:

"What must i type ?"

And if i type "updbios", this message appears :

UpdBIOS V2.3 (02212003)
    UPDBIOS <input file> <output file> <B/R>

"What must i type ?"

Best regards
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2005
    parker13 wrote:
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

When i type 'updflash r4250.bin', this message appears :

Updflash v3.19 (06292004)

This utility is for flash chip used on PC add-on card only !
    This utility is not for flash chip in MacOS add-on card or onboard chipset!
    Continue? (Y/N)

Flash memory status is dh
    Check for variable sector flash chips

The flash memory chip in use is not one of the following:
    SST SST39SF010, SST39VF010, and SST39SF020
    AMD Am29F010B, Am29LV010B, Am29F040B, Am29LV400B
    STMicroelectronics M29F010B, M29W040B, M29W400B
    SANYO LE28C1001DT
    WinBond W29EE011 and W29EE512
    Atmel AT49BV512, AT49LV040, AT29LV010

Select flash memory type:
    1. AMD 29F010B/29LV010B 1Mb compatible
    2. AMD 29F040B 4Mb compatible
    3. AMD 29LV400B 4Mb compatible
    4. SST 39SF010 1Mb compatible
    5. SST 39SF020 2Mb compatible
    6. WinBond 29EE011/Sanyo LE28C1001D 1Mb compatible
    7. WinBond 29EE512 512Kb compatible
    8. Atmel AT49BV512 512Kb compatible
    9. Atmel AT49LV040 4Mb compatible
    10. Quit

Command:

"What must i type ?"

And if i type "updbios", this message appears :

UpdBIOS V2.3 (02212003)
    UPDBIOS <input file> <output file> <B/R>

"What must i type ?"

Best regards
    What I said and what you originally tried should work. I have no idea why it isn't working. Try unplugging any drives attached to the controller. Otherwise, I'm stumped by this one. :scratch: I have no idea what flash memory type to select.

EDIT: Is your card made by anyone? I mean I know the chipset is Silicon Image, but what manufacturer actually built the card?
  • edited January 2005
    Look on the bios chip on the card and remove the little sticker and see what number is on the flash chip.

Then just select that number from the list.

Also what size is that bin file you are trying to flash?

Tmod
  • edited January 2005
    Hello there! I've got very similar problems to others described in this thread, but with a twist.

I've got an Epox 8RDA3+ motherboard, which has a Phoenix AWARDbios and SATARaid SiI3112 bios. I've also got 3 hard disks. One IDE 30gig, one Maxtor 120gig SATA and one Maxtor 200gig SATA.

The Phoenix BIOS detect the IDE drive without any problems, the SATARaid system then scans for my SATA drives. It finds the 120gig drive without any problems but cannot find the 200gig drive.

Now I've tried all sorts of combinations, having different disks in at different times, using different cables, using different ports, flashing the phoenix part of the bios, but no matter what I do I can't get the 200gig drive to detect.

This is really puzzling as the first time I added the 200gig drive to the machine it detected it and worked fine (could see it in Windows etc). However, after a reboot it's like the drive is invisible. Note, I've tried the drive in another machine, and it works fine.

I'm really begging for advice here. Would flashing the SATARaid section of my BIOS help me? Is it even possible to just flash that bit (I'm not used to the concept of there being two different sections)? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited January 2005
    storm79 wrote:
    I'm really begging for advice here. Would flashing the SATARaid section of my BIOS help me? Is it even possible to just flash that bit (I'm not used to the concept of there being two different sections)? Thanks in advance for your help.
    You cannot flash the SATA bios section alone, it has to be done together with your board bios.

Here's an updated version of the latest bios for your board.
    I have no way to test it so use at your own risk! or visit this link for instructions on how to do it yourself.

Good luck!
  • edited January 2005
    Thanks mate!

Do you have any idea if this bios update address any SATA issues, or even makes any changes to the SATARaid section of the bios?
    edited January 2005
    I updated the SATA bios from 4212 to 4250 thus the name change.
    There's a good chance this bios will detect your new drive but if not, let us know and will look into it further.
  • edited January 2005
    Many thanks EQ.

I'll perform the update (at my own risk) and report back and let you know how it went regardless of whether it worked or not.

Thanks again.
    edited January 2005
    You're welcome. :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2005
    Hmm... still no dice I'm afraid. The update worked fine and I can confirm that I'm now running 4.2.50, but it is still only detecting the one 120gig drive.

Is there any chance I could be doing something *really* stupid here? There are no jumper settings on SATA drives are there? I don't have to select any special options in the bios to run multiple drives do I?

Thanks again for your help.
    edited January 2005
    Did you swap cables and/or try the drive on the other port?
  • edited January 2005
    Yeah, I swapped the cables, tried the HDD in both ports, with both cables. Also tried with and without the other HDD.

Um... I'm saying that the update worked as it shows version 4.2.50, but none of my bios settings were changed - boot order still the same, CPU config not changed, etc. etc. Shouldn't an update have reset this information?

Also, I got an error upon first reboot warning me that something had tried to write to the bios, but it didn't state whether the changes were sucessful or not.
    :scratch:
    edited January 2005
    It would have changed if there is a clear CMOS switch on the executable or if you do it manually. Also remember that you're using the same bios as before except for the new SATA bios. If you see the new bios version during SATA bios screen everything is fine.

About the HD, I'm not sure at this point. Can you see the drive if you enter SATA bios menu? maybe is one of those models that have trouble with this particular controller or you just have a bad drive.
  • edited January 2005
    No, I can't see it when I enter the controller.

I don't think it's a bad drive as it works fine in my other PC, I've just tried putting it in an older machine to act as a fileserver.

I appricate you trying, chief. Thanks for your help.

It looks like I'm going to have to give up.

Anyone want to buy a 200gig hard disk? :bawling:
    edited January 2005
    Sorry I couldn't do more. I don't know why but the big Maxtors have had trouble with this controller since the beginning.
    There is a huge thread at Abit forums about it.

/edit: the solution used to be to downgrade them to UDMA5 but Maxtor discontinued their utility and no other software can do it. If you can find a way to do it using the SiI RAID Management Tool on another board you can fix it the problem.
  • edited January 2005
    Sorry, but back in my day a hard disk was just a hard disk.

What are these different modes you speak of? What mode will the drive currently be in? Will there be any other issues with changing the mode?

Thanks once again!
    edited January 2005
    It's been always like that. The modes refer to the transfer speed: UDMA5/ATA100 = 100MB/s, UDMA6/ATA133 = 133MB/s and every new generation of HD's is backwards compatible.

Your Maxtor (even though is a SATA drive and in theory should be called UDMA7/ATA150, another subject altogether) shows up as UDMA6/ATA133 but it'll run at the same speed if set to UDMA5 w/o issues.
  • edited January 2005
    New Info:
    A Friend of mine has a Audigy soundcard also compatible with 5.1 and I hang his card in my system, guess what?? I'm watching a video right now and copying from the 200 GB without any kind of problems! :D:thumbsup:
    So now it's clear that my Terratec Aureon 5.1 soundcard was the problem in combination with my 2 Port Serial ATA PCI Card. But why??? :confused:
    I still hope this can be solved somehow, guess a new soundcard is pretty expensive, and this soundcard is just like 5 months old. I'll inform Terratec about the problem and see if they have a solution, otherwise i've gotta sell this one and buy a new soundcard. Spinner or EQuito if have any other suggestions in things I can try please let me know. I wanna thank you for your help, time and suggestions you have given me. Nice to know there are people like you who try to help the "less skilled" with their computer problems. :):thumbsup:

I have the same m/b rev 1.0 (7vrxp) and i just bought a terratec aureon 5.1 fan sound card and guess what? My pc freezed.
    I do not have a pci sata controler but i'm using the onboard pata controler (not in raid mode).
    Windows is a fresh install and i get no error messages, hardware conflicts or driver issues.
    Any ideas?
  • edited January 2005
    Hi Fellas,

I have read all the threads of this problem, i unfortunately bought a Maxtor SATA 200 gig NCQ HD (with out the knowledge of the problem) and im having the same problems..... silicon image 3512 is not detecting my hard disk. i just wanna know should i sell the hd? or is there still hope for a fix to this problem. i have tried all the bios on this topic and non have solved the prob.

im considering to update the actual silicon image bios but just wanna know if ill be wasting my time.

I am sufering from headaches and hair loss over this problem can someone give me a sign of hope or put me out of my misery.... :banghead:
  • edited January 2005
    sorry fellas forgot to mention my mainboard..... its.... the one and only....

GA-7n400 pro2 rev2

im such a lucky bloke..... :bawling:
  • edited February 2005
    Hi all...

I have a problem and would like some advise if possible...!

I have recently purchased a Maxtor 300Gb diamond max 10 HD, the problem is i cant get the bios to recognise it...! My other Seagate 160GB sata's detect fine but the maxtor is refusing...

I was wondering if updating the bios on the siI3112 would solve it?

my mobo is the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP rev 1.0 and the onboard siI3112 is rev 2

any advice would be highly appreciated

Regards

Bradley
  • edited February 2005
    Maybe i can help some of you and i also hopy you can help me, because i have a similar problem with a Maxtor SATA 160GB DiamondMax 10 and a Siil3112A Controller PCI card.

Both are on an Epox 8RDA+ (Nforce) motherboard.

After inserting the controllercard and booting, XP detected the controller perfectly, so no problems.
    Then connected the maxtor to the controller and it was detected correctly by the controller and also XP found the drive.
    Then the problems started.
    With the diskmanagement, i couldn't format the drive or make partitions. Crap.
    So i did a low level format in the Sil3112 bios, which worked (after formatting it for about 1.5 hours) :D

Then i tried to make partitions in XP (diskmanagement) and that didn't work.
    After that, i begun to expierence the problems with the sil3112 controller who'm couldn't find the maxtor anymore after a cold start. But it did recognized it when the computer was running for a couple of minutes.
    So i tried to do a low level format again... negative. It just stays @ 0%... damn!

Started to browse through several forums and tried many things (connecting to the other SATA port, tried it in another computer, etc) still didn't work.
    The last things i tried are upgrading my bios from the motherboard (EPOX), nothing.
    Then i upgraded the Sil3112 bios to the latest 4.2.50 (with some problems), but that went good.. but still the drive isn't recognized after a cold start.
    And if it is recognized after a while, i can't low-level format it.
    In XP, the drive is available, but when i start diskmanagement, it can't find the maxtor anymore.. only my normal ATA disks..

So i did pretty much everything in my knowledge, even tried it on another motherboard with intel chipset and intel cpu (i have AMD on the Nforce Epox), but the same problems.

So according to my above findings, i think it has something to do with the Sil3112a chipset and the new DiamondMax 10 drives (and maybe drives using the same technology).

Pretty f*cked up :rolleyes:

Hope someone can help me with above or can advise other things...
  • edited February 2005
    Hi Nefius,

"Then i upgraded the Sil3112 bios to the latest 4.2.50 (with some problems), but that went good"

How do you upgrade the Sil3112 bios to 4.2.50 ?

Best regards
    Parker
  • edited February 2005
    parker13 wrote:
    Hi Nefius,

"Then i upgraded the Sil3112 bios to the latest 4.2.50 (with some problems), but that went good"

How do you upgrade the Sil3112 bios to 4.2.50 ?

Best regards
    Parker

I went to the Silicon Image website and downloaded the latest bios for it.
    Together with the flashprogram.

I first had the problem that the flashable bios wasn't recognized, but after i looked on the bios, i did see it was a ST M29W010B bios.
    That one isn't in the list of supported bioschips, but after i searched a bit on the internet, i did see that the bios as technical the same as the AMD AM29LV010B.
    That one was in the list of the Flashprogram, so i used that one.

It worked fine... but still my problem isnt solved :bawling:
    edited February 2005
    Nefius wrote:
    Maybe i can help some of you and i also hopy you can help me, because i have a similar problem with a Maxtor SATA 160GB DiamondMax 10 and a Siil3112A Controller PCI card.

Both are on an Epox 8RDA+ (Nforce) motherboard.

After inserting the controllercard and booting, XP detected the controller perfectly, so no problems.
    Then connected the maxtor to the controller and it was detected correctly by the controller and also XP found the drive.
    Then the problems started.
    With the diskmanagement, i couldn't format the drive or make partitions. Crap.
    So i did a low level format in the Sil3112 bios, which worked (after formatting it for about 1.5 hours) :D

Then i tried to make partitions in XP (diskmanagement) and that didn't work.
    After that, i begun to expierence the problems with the sil3112 controller who'm couldn't find the maxtor anymore after a cold start. But it did recognized it when the computer was running for a couple of minutes.
    So i tried to do a low level format again... negative. It just stays @ 0%... damn!

Started to browse through several forums and tried many things (connecting to the other SATA port, tried it in another computer, etc) still didn't work.
    The last things i tried are upgrading my bios from the motherboard (EPOX), nothing.
    Then i upgraded the Sil3112 bios to the latest 4.2.50 (with some problems), but that went good.. but still the drive isn't recognized after a cold start.
    And if it is recognized after a while, i can't low-level format it.
    In XP, the drive is available, but when i start diskmanagement, it can't find the maxtor anymore.. only my normal ATA disks..

So i did pretty much everything in my knowledge, even tried it on another motherboard with intel chipset and intel cpu (i have AMD on the Nforce Epox), but the same problems.

So according to my above findings, i think it has something to do with the Sil3112a chipset and the new DiamondMax 10 drives (and maybe drives using the same technology).

Pretty f*cked up :rolleyes:

Hope someone can help me with above or can advise other things...
    What driver version are you using? Is your controller card using the IDE or RAID BIOS?
    edited February 2005
    bradley wrote:
    I was wondering if updating the bios on the siI3112 would solve it?
    Being the fact that it's a Gigabyte board, I doubt it, but it's the first thing to try.

I've made you a BIOS up containing the latest SI3112 controller BIOS. Give it a try.

Cheers
  • edited February 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    Being the fact that it's a Gigabyte board, I doubt it, but it's the first thing to try.

I've made you a BIOS up containing the latest SI3112 controller BIOS. Give it a try.

Cheers

Thanks Spinner...

I have already put one together myself and am currently running one of preachers bios's...

Still no joy though...

Any other ideas i could try?

I have mailed Gigabyte over a week ago and have had no reply... They dont seem to give a s**t

Regards

Bradley
  • edited February 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    What driver version are you using? Is your controller card using the IDE or RAID BIOS?

Also the latest drivers, but looking at the fact that my Maxtor isn't recognized in the bios of the Controller, i don't think thats the problem
    :)

Anyhow.. i got a Raid bios.
  • edited February 2005
    Update..

Just tried the Maxtor on another mobo with an Intel SATA controller and that one also didn't see the Maxtor.
    Looks like the Maxtor died... :(
    Although i'm not sure if the Sil3112 is responsible for it..
    edited February 2005
    I'd say the low-level format via SiI3112 bios probably killed it.
    Try another format but use Maxtors's utilities this time and run a diagnostic first. You'll have to do it on another board though because the utilities do not work on nVIDIA based boards.