*NEW* SiI3x12: Serial ATA (SATA) RAID/IDE BIOS v.4250 Released

Comments

• edited April 2005
    Hey!
    I need updflash.exe for motherboard (flash chipset, not add-on-card)!
    I have GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 1.x) mboard.
    I can't flash my bios, in windows is unknown chip and bios.
    Thank you!
  • edited April 2005
    Hey guys!
    I stumbled to this place after 2 weeks of searching for solution of the problem I have. After banging my head :scratch: , I really need some help.

I have an Epox 8RDA3+ (rev.3.x) mobo, with the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset and the famous SiI3112A onboard SATA controller. It worked just great with my 120GB ultra ATA HD, but then I sold it and got new western Digital WD1600JD 160 GB SATA drive. No matter what I did, i just couldn't format the partition and install Windows XP (SP1), so I figured out the problem is in SATA controller since this new HDD worked perfectly on Abit NF7-S mobo (with the very same chipset and the same SATA controller).

I emailed Epox about this problem, and they have sent me modified BIOS containing new 4.2.50 SATA controller BIOS. You can find it attached below for Your reference.

But this helped only partially. Using Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools I was able to create and format NTFS partition. The system and BIOS sees the WD drive, but when I started installing Windows, it lasted almost forever. After about an hour, installing was finished but the system takes about 2 or 3 mins to boot into Win XP, if it ever boots. Most of the time I get the message "The system cannot be started because the directory (blah blah) ..WIN32/SYSTEM can't be found. You can attempt recovering using Microsoft Recovery Console".. and so on. Once I was able to log on, I tried to install latest nVidia chipset drivers, and drivers for my Ati radeon 9200 VIVO graphic card, but then the system crashed. Now it's dead. :mad:

I am using only this single SATA drive in my machine, would like to make 2 X 20 GB and 2 X 60 GB partitions ,and finally make this thing work! :(

Now I know You guys posted some modified BIOS for EP-8RDA3+ here too, but I don't know should I try this one instead of one Epox sent me? Would it make some difference?

And finally, thanks for the great work here, but I really need some help. If anyone has some ideas what to do, please post a reply.

Best regards,
    Pete
  • edited August 2005
    Hi Guys!

I have a Shuttle AB60R with Silicon Image 3112 integrated on it. I want to ask you if you can send me a modded bios with Sil3112 4250 bios;)!

P.S: I wonder if Sil3112 supports NCQ (through software)?

Thank you.
  • edited August 2005
    Here's my story. I'm on an Asus K8S-MX motherboard, with 2GB DDR 400 RAM, and an Athlon 64 3200, if that helps.
    • I installed a WD74G Raptor. This Raptor is caused my system to lock up every 5 minutes or so. Everything froze for about 30 seconds, and then unfroze again. Apart from the fact that this was incredibly annoying, it meant that I couldn't even format the drive.

• I then took the driver CD which came with my motherboard, and from it I installed the Silicon Image drivers in Windows. Everything looked fine, and I formatted it without hassles, and could now use the drive.

• I then attempted to use PartitionMagic 7 to copy my C partition onto the WD, so that I could start using it as a boot drive. The partition copy seemed to work (according to PM7), but when I rebooted I could see no files on the WD.

• I then attempted to reformat the drive using PM7. It managed to get through 20% of it, and then hung.

Back to square one.

This is my Device Panel:

Devices.jpg

This is my IDE driver:

IDE.jpg

This is my RAID driver:

RAID.jpg

I am wondering if I need to update any of these drivers. I have already updated the BIOS on my motherboard to the latest K8S-MX BIOS from Asus.

Is there a BIOS for the SATA controller on the motherboard which I need to update?
  • edited August 2005
    Well, I checked it all over again, and it seems that a loose power connector may have been the problem. With the plug in firmly it formatted no problems, and I've been using it fine ever since.

Fingers crossed. ;)
  • edited September 2005
    I'm going to have to check everything again. I ran HDTach successfully on it twice last night, and the third time the drive locked up. Rebooted, used the drive succsessfully for a while, and then the folder which was open in that drive locked up again.

After nearly two weeks of this, I'm growing a little weary.
  • edited September 2005
    This card will NOT WORK with an SBLive 5.1!

I remove the card and all works perfectly, re-insert (any PCI slot) won't even boot. Defo hardware and not software issue.

Anybody experience the same issue?
  • edited October 2005
    :thumbsup: Hello Spinner,

I was wondering if you could help me out with modding my 8knxp's rev 2's bios with the latest bios update for Sil 3112- I would truly appreciate that!

The files have been attached-

Many thanks,

WishMiX

** UPDATE **

Just wanted to let you know that without any gutts there's surely no glory- I managed to update the bios with the latest Sil 3112 4250 ... Works like a charm...

Thanks-

WishMiX :thumbsup:
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited October 2005
    wishmix wrote:
    :thumbsup: Hello Spinner,

I was wondering if you could help me out with modding my 8knxp's rev 2's bios with the latest bios update for Sil 3112- I would truly appreciate that!

The files have been attached-

Many thanks,

WishMiX

** UPDATE **

Just wanted to let you know that without any gutts there's surely no glory- I managed to update the bios with the latest Sil 3112 4250 ... Works like a charm...

Thanks-

WishMiX :thumbsup:
    Glad you got it sorted. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Does any one know if there is a bios out there for a Gigabyte 8INXP that includes the new sata bios This board uses the sil 3112 chip. If not is it very hard to make one? Thanks
    edited October 2005
    cbr1100 wrote:
    Does any one know if there is a bios out there for a Gigabyte 8INXP that includes the new sata bios This board uses the sil 3112 chip. If not is it very hard to make one? Thanks
    There you go. Use at your own risk.

Cheers
  • edited November 2005
    This may be an old subject, but Asus never added the sil3x12 ver4.2.50 RAID bios for the A7n8x-E Deluxe Mobo. This newer raid bios migh solve my raid failures.

If you could mod the bios, or direct me to the proper instructions so I can give it a try, it would be greatly apreciated.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe bios ver. 1013 modded to include Sil3x12 ver 4.2.50

Asus 1013 bios attached.
  • edited November 2005
    Excellent, after much searching and playing/failing by myself, finally have the updated SATA BIOS installed and running much more smoothly! (and much faster booting too!)

Is there anyway to coax someone into possibly updating the ITE Raid BIOS as well?

I've got a 7N400 Pro (NOT Pro2 or Pro2r2), and it has an ITE controller on it listed as IT8212. I tried the flashing utility from their website, but it said it couldn't find a controller.
    My current BIOS on it is 1.41, and it looks like the newest one is 1.7.1.94
    as indicated at:
    ITE BIOS Page
    or just the actual file itself

It says on there "for PCI card" and mine is integrated, not sure if that's a big problem?

Any help or advice or anything would be much appreciated! thanks in advance!
  • edited November 2005
    enki3600 wrote:
    It says on there "for PCI card" and mine is integrated, not sure if that's a big problem?

Any help or advice or anything would be much appreciated! thanks in advance!
    When you have a PCI card bios and you want to embed it into the system bios usually you have to mod the PCI bios so it will fit as well as still work.

The still work part is the kicker as anyone can remove some bytes from a file to make it the same size but what code is removed and where is the key.

I have done it with other Raid and/Or Sata bios's but I have never even looked at the ITE Raid bios's.

Tmod
    edited November 2005
    This may be an old subject, but Asus never added the sil3x12 ver4.2.50 RAID bios for the A7n8x-E Deluxe Mobo. This newer raid bios migh solve my raid failures.

If you could mod the bios, or direct me to the proper instructions so I can give it a try, it would be greatly apreciated.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe bios ver. 1013 modded to include Sil3x12 ver 4.2.50

Asus 1013 bios attached.
    There you go, use at your own risk. :)
  • edited November 2005
    Tmod wrote:
    When you have a PCI card bios and you want to embed it into the system bios usually you have to mod the PCI bios so it will fit as well as still work.

The still work part is the kicker as anyone can remove some bytes from a file to make it the same size but what code is removed and where is the key.

I have done it with other Raid and/Or Sata bios's but I have never even looked at the ITE Raid bios's.

Tmod

Thanks for the response. I have no idea how to understand the machine code... if I were given all the proper literature on it and enough time, I'm sure I could, but it's likely that it's not publicly available :D
  • lohi19lohi19 Canada
    edited November 2005
    Hi Spinner:

Would it be posible to get a modded bios for the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 1.0?
    It has the SI3112 Sata Host Link Controller version 4.1.36C.
    The latest bios F13 is attached.

Thanks in advance.
    edited November 2005
    lohi19 wrote:
    Hi Spinner:

Would it be posible to get a modded bios for the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 1.0?
    It has the SI3112 Sata Host Link Controller version 4.1.36C.
    The latest bios F13 is attached.

Thanks in advance.
    There you go bud. Use at your own risk. :)
  • lohi19lohi19 Canada
    edited November 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    There you go bud. Use at your own risk. :)

Thanks man. Very much appreciated! :)
    Updated. Boots fine. So far no problems.

Cheers.

Ken :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    I had noticed that Silicon Image had two new 3112 bios's released for the PCI Add In card so I modded them so they are able to be embedded in the system bios.

So Spinner here you go.

EDIT: Here are some images from ATTO comparing the 4.2.50 to the 4.2.66.

I ran scandisk and defrag before each ATTO run.

This is also on a Add In PCI card on my DFI Ultra Infinity NFII.

4.2.50.jpg

4.2.66.jpg

I would say it was a worthwhile upgrade.

Tmod
  • edited December 2005
    hello! i'm new to this forum
    i have an embedded sil3112 (bios version 4.2.50) sata controller on my asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo and i'd like to know if is available a v1013 bios with 4.2.66 or 4.2.70 sata bios, thanks!
    another question: on this mobo, is it better to use v 4.2.66 or 4.2.70 ?
  • edited December 2005
    raoul_duke wrote:
    hello! i'm new to this forum
    i have an embedded sil3112 (bios version 4.2.50) sata controller on my asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo and i'd like to know if is available a v1013 bios with 4.2.66 or 4.2.70 sata bios, thanks!
    another question: on this mobo, is it better to use v 4.2.66 or 4.2.70 ?

I haven't seen anyone mod the 1013 yet using either of those SATA bios's.

Well the only version that I have tried was the 4.2.66 and it is the bios that is flashed on my 3112 PCI Add In card.

Tmod
  • edited December 2005
    in this webpage it's available a modded v 1013 bios with 4.2.50 bios for embedded sata, but it's impossible to contact the webmaster :scratch:
    maybe it's only a question of time...
  • edited December 2005
    All,

I just purchased a sil-3112 PCI card (syba sd-sata150r), and I am trying to update the card's bios to 4.2.66 from 4.2.47. I have the updflash utility, but I am stuck on which flash memory type to use. The utility basically says that none of the supported flash memory chips were found, but I can select one for it to use. Has anyone updated one of these cards?

Thanks!
  • edited December 2005
    venious wrote:
    All,

I just purchased a sil-3112 PCI card (syba sd-sata150r), and I am trying to update the card's bios to 4.2.66 from 4.2.47. I have the updflash utility, but I am stuck on which flash memory type to use. The utility basically says that none of the supported flash memory chips were found, but I can select one for it to use. Has anyone updated one of these cards?

Thanks!

Update: I used the #1 option with updflash and all worked flawlessly.
  • edited January 2006
    Hi guys,

I guess my post is relevant to this if not, please delete..

I am having this strange problem.. here it goes!..

I bought a 300Gigs Seagate SATA HDD to add as a second hard drive (I already have an 80gigs IDE), installed it, drivers, everything.... so far so good, no problems at all.

The drive was working for a week with no problems!!

Today I turn the computer on, BIOS recognizes the SATA hdd , then goes to boot windows... I get the windows logo with the progress bar moving.. after that, the screen goes black, i get a little of HDD activity and after 20 seconds the Windows logo apears with the blue screen behind (like when you get the users to sign in) bit instead of the user sign in screen, it says.... Windows is starting up......... and it stays there FOREVER!!!.

If I go to the BIOS and disable the onboard sata, windows boots normally!!.

WTF is going on?!?!? How come this is happening!?!?!?. I really need help.

This is what I tried.....

Reinstalling sata drivers,
    Changing cables.
    Unplugging IDE devices.
    Reinstalling windows
    Updating Bios
    I also run the Seagate Tools(the one that boots on DOS) to see if the drive is defective, but its not, it reads it properly, and tested 100% right

And when I tried to install Windows with the SATA drive connected, it will freeze.

Another thing (i don;t know if its relevant), when I installed the drive I made it dynamic, and I REALLY dont want to format because I have a LOT of files there.
    Is there ANY possibility to get that SATA drive recognized on DOS so I can copy my files to the other HDD??

And I think thats about it.

I have Windows XP pro SP2
    AMD Athlon 3000+
    Gigabyte GA7n400 Pro2 Rev2 Motherboard
    Seagate 80 gigs IDE (BOOT DRIVE)
    Seagate 300gigs SATA

Any help would be appriciated!
    Thanks in advance.
  • edited January 2006
    ok i have a question...
    i have an asus p4g8x deluxe and it has a built-in Sil3112 sata controller.
    i have the 1.0.0.53 drivers and when i go to the flash tab it says
    Chip, Size, Bios and Date are Unknown and i dont have an option to flash the bios, its grayed out!

why is this?

thanks!
    edited January 2006
    xprtm wrote:
    ok i have a question...
    i have an asus p4g8x deluxe and it has a built-in Sil3112 sata controller.
    i have the 1.0.0.53 drivers and when i go to the flash tab it says
    Chip, Size, Bios and Date are Unknown and i dont have an option to flash the bios, its grayed out!

why is this?

thanks!
    Because the SI 3x12 controller is built into your motherboard, the BIOS for your SATA controller is part of your motherboard BIOS and isn't seperate, so it can't be flashed independently, like say, a PCI card version of your controller. So the only way to update your onboard SI3x12 controller BIOS is through flashing your motherboard BIOS to the most recent version, or if that doesn't contain the most uptodate SI 3x12 controller BIOS, you could mod the latest BIOS for your motherboard with the most recent BIOS for your SI 3x12 controller manually, and then flash it.

But if you haven't got any problems, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Cheers
  • edited February 2006
    hi, guys, first sorry for me english ( i'm french ), does it work on windows 98 SE ? i've a hold cpu PII 400 Mhz!
  • edited February 2006
    I'm not sure if anyone can help me here, but I have a tyan 1854c trinity 400 motherboard and i'm trying to get a new sata hdd on a sil 3112 pci sata card to boot. The OS is on an ata drive, i just wanted to use this older computer as a server with a few newer hdd's that are modern enough to be used in later machines.

The card is recognized in both linux and windows, with driver installed, but 99.9% of the time it hangs on boot right after verifying dmi data pool (or after boot from cd etc. depending on boot order). I got it to load once, formatted the drive in suse linux 10.0, restarted and haven't been able to get to an OS since. Disconnecting the drive allows successful boot.

If I use a boot cd such as knoppix, it works no problem, and knoppix sees the sata hdd. I've tried boot order changes, which worked once but not again.

I'm assuming my old (2000) BIOS on the tyan 1854 is just too old to mesh with sata, but i'm very hesitant to pay the $60 www.esupport.com wants for a new BIOS...I just want a place to put new hard drives before I piece together a newer 'server'. Any help would be fantastic!