Doom 3 Satisfaction

edited November 2006 in Gaming
Ok, I'm planing on getting Doom 3 but having read some rather scathing and some not so scathing but still negative reviews I'm wondering, if you could've returned Doom 3 for a refund would you?
It's pretty simple, either you feel it was money wasted or you feel it was a good investment and if I get a good turn out in this poll I'll make my purchase decision based on that (money being near and dear these days) so thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• edited November 2004
    Could someone change the # to a 3 in the poll please? Thanks :D
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited November 2004
    Doom 3 is a very good fps with good graphics. A lot of people were expecting more and were thus a little disappointed.

Myself, I think it's great, one of the few games to actually scare me and make me jump :D

Currently stuck trying to get past those two big buggers at the Gate to the Hell level :(

If any criticism could be levelled at it - it is perhaps a bit repetitive.

And I think Far Cry is a better game.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Pretty much what FBS said. I voted 'no' because it is, despite major disappointment, a fun game. It IS very repetitive and very unoriginal. Quickly into the game, you are left with the sense of "okay, great graphics...But this CAN'T be all..." and alas, it IS all. However, despite the negative points, it's still just a fun game.

I almost voted yes on this poll. I don't think the game is worth $50. If I had paid $30 for it, I'd feel a lot better. At the $50 mark, it's a tossup on whether I wanted a refund or not. However, I will play this game again at some point, so I voted "no".

Perhaps if they hadn't hyped it up so much.....
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I received Doom3 as a groomsmen gift. So... it was free. I'm 2/3 the way through and I can't seem to keep the enthusiasm to keep playing it... I'm so blah about it... I just run into a room and then run out and wait the bad guys to come and get it.

I'm more pumped about Halo2... I am looking for a nice multi person game.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Prime +1.

I haven't finished it, or even played it in a month BUT for me, it is a 'must have' piece of software. It does have spectacular graphics, good weapons, scary monsters. It is a little repetitive and predictable - I walk backwards past certain points waiting for the bad guys to jump me :D I certainly will be back to finish it up soon.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I played it, I beat it, and I liked it. It is just another unoriginal FPS to the tune of Doom and Doom2, but its very well done, and good looking. I don't get why people hate it and would want to return it.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2004
    Same here. I think my friend ruined it for me, cause I watched him play the last 1/3 of the game. I just can't play it as much as I used to cause it's not as good as it was. Still though, while it lasted, it was good and I'll probably be back for more.

No refunds here. :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Hmm. I'm just borrowing it from GH, right now, so he'd proly be pretty pissed if I returned it to the store.

I wouldn't buy it. It's not good enough for that. Wait for HL2. It'll have a real story, I'm sure...
    edited November 2004
    Wow... This poll looks like a US Presidential election
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I got the game, played it for like 5 hours one day, and then uninstalled it. I was too bored to keep playing. I'd take a refund, yes.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited November 2004
    Yea 8 more days for HL2. I would save mhy money for that. Before its release due to the hype, I thaught doomIII would be better than HL2. But the same dark claustrophobic corridores get old. And thats essentially what doom3 felt like. HL2 looks to have a varriety of different mapscapes to blast through, from inner cities, to open outdoor shipyards, etc.

Its not what I expected.
  • edited November 2004
    Things were staying so close I was wondering if it was rigged.
    Thanks for the votes guys and the input, still need more but so far the votes say ditch it (by a slim margin) but the posts say keep it.
    :scratch:
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    i voted, but i didn't leave a comment, so here i am now

i got the game, installed it, and played for about 2 hours, and uninstall it

yes i would take the refund
  • edited November 2004
    I bought it. Think it's great! It's not anything spectacular aside from the graphics, but it's still fun. I choose no.
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited November 2004
    I had a go at it on my brothers computer. I dunno why, but gameplay gives me a headache. It could be due to the high mouse sensitivity, but I really can't say. Something about it makes me sick to the stomach.

I'm not trying to dismiss it as a bad game or anything; I was a big fan of DoomI/II/95, and I love the fact that they made a decent (albeit lacking in plot) sequel. The graphics are great, and the fear-factor is there. It's enjoyable when you play it the first time.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2004
    I said yes, it was god for a while then it just was the same thing. Yea the monsters popping out still get me but its like thats all there really is. Id wait for HL2 and get instead
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2004
    What if we, uh, didn't bother paying...? :-/

Mainly I did it because I wanted to see if I would like it. I have a hard time getting into any computer game with a plot (I'm a console baby at heart! :D), and this was no exception. I think I played, what, 3 levels before I said forget it? I don't necessarily like being scared out of my mind to begin with, but this just wasn't worth it, for how far I played. So I'll vote for a refund... if... I... ever... pay... :confused:;D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Installed, beat it in god mode (cause I knew it didn't have worthy story) and uninstalled. Other than "wtfomg?!" graphics, the game sucks. Happy I didn't buy it ;):p
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2004
    It's in my 'unlikely to be finished' pile. After only a few hours play I got bored with it. It's the Faberge egg of games, looks georgeous but not much fun to play with.
    edited November 2004
    Yea, I'm having some fun with it, but really the only things keeping me going is the desire to see how they made hell look and the hope that eventually I wont have to use the flashlight in every room.

Does it ever get to the point where I can put my flashlight away for more than just a few seconds at a time?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    No, in fact it makes your computer draw power from the rest of the house so you have to get out a flashlight to see your flashlight.
    edited November 2004
    I might not play the game much longer then. I'm at the Marine HQ now, and I'm getting pretty tired of the non-stop flashlight use and of being startled by EVERY monster in the game. Being startled is an uncomfortable feeling for me.
  • RyThomRyThom Ypsilanti, MI
    edited November 2004
    Meh, I was greatly disapointed. Sure, it was pretty and everything, but it was simplistic and relied on it's graphical power and atmosphere to provide entertainment - not the actual gameplay. Oh and the shotgun sucked.

On the plus side, the engine is fantastic and will probably be the next Quake 3 as far as other games using the technology. I'm excited for that.
    edited November 2004
    Yeah, I agree. The engine is more exciting than the game. How nerdy is that?
  • RyThomRyThom Ypsilanti, MI
    edited November 2004
    LOL, yeah, it's pretty nerdy. But then again, it's us.

Do you know of any games currently in development using the Doom 3 engine? Im curious to see what other people are doing with it.
  • edited November 2004
    Wow, looks like the yes's have it considering that one of the NO votes was mine (heh, I got tired of not being able to see the poll results without having to go to another page then go back) so it looks like I'll be spending money on BF Veitnam or UT 2k4 rather than Doom 3.
    Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    i never even had the urge to play it farcry pwns it
  • edited November 2004
    "Do you know of any games currently in development using the Doom 3 engine? Im curious to see what other people are doing with it."

The only games currently in development with the engine are ID owned IP's.(Well what they've announced)

Ima throw my 2 cents in on doom 3 here.

Hated it, boring and poopy, relied on the same tricks to try and scare you over and over again.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited November 2004
    i never even had the urge to play it farcry pwns it

Agreed, FarCry definately > Doom3.
  • edited November 2004
    I was a bit disappointed with it as it struck me as being repetitive also. I probably won't finish it although I did like the graphics though. Maybe I'll get the time and/or energy to finish it in the future. I probably wouldn't seek a refund. It's nice but leaves a little to be desired. I think another factor with this is that since I've been playing BF42 and Joint Ops that I just don't get into mere FPS without others involved. I think action on a higher level has hooked me and can't be recreated by playing a computer anymore.

KingFish