Doom 3 Satisfaction

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2004
    When I first started playing doom3, I must admit that the 'fear' tactics in it were great. It scared the living bejebus out of me! I loved the game at first, but once those scare tactics wear off, its not the same. It got predictable, and dry. Every once and a while you'll come to a new environment that rekindles your interest, but thats about it. I found myself playing for only 15 minute runs, as I could not stay interested.

Many people have complained about the dark environments in the game, and I admit, that it does get annoying at times, but I think that set it apart from many other first person shooter games, and certainly added to the fright. It was a unique game, and I have to give it credit for that. It was certainly nice to see something different.

Whether or not doom3 was worth the money is debatable, but I had some fun with it, and I would have to say that it was the only game that I HAD to stop playing to collect myself :D. A couple of times, I just quit and had to shake myself off a bit

It is very different from FarCry, but I must say that some of the FarCry environments look absolutely spectacular. In many situations, I wished that Doom3 incorperated some bright environments just to show off what the engine is capable of. It will be interesting to see some other games based onthis engine..

I actually pre-ordered the game, and payed a bit of a premium for it.. the worst part was that one of the installation discs was bunked, and I had all sorts of headaches trying to get it exchanged for a new copy. I believe it came out to almost $100 CDN.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2004
    O.K I finnished half life 2 - and have no desire at all to finish doom 3

I guess that clinches the "which one do you like best"
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2004
    bothered wrote:
    It's the Faberge egg of games, looks georgeous but not much fun to play with.

Bwahahaha that IS the best review I have seen of DOOM 3 - that should be one of the short media bytes at least
    :thumbsup:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    I got the game, played it for like 5 hours one day, and then uninstalled it. I was too bored to keep playing. I'd take a refund, yes.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited January 2005
    You guys are being too nice, regarding gameplay. It's a dang video GAME

If all I wanted was pretty graphics, I'd go buy a copy of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and enjoy it at the same time eating my favorite popcorn.
    Half-Life 2 is *ALMOST* as pretty as Doom3 in my opinion, and blows the absolute dog crap out of it as well, when it comes to sheer fun factor.

Also: Why does good ol' Johnny REFUSE to implement ANY kind of scalability whatsoever into the last 3 engines that he's released? From my experience of playing his games just as they've come out (usually with a generally good high/mid range system), even with all the settings cranked down the framerate is just pretty darn gross. I will give Carmack credit for having always pushed the industry beyond it's limits and forcing hardware manufacturers to get in gear, but jeez...I just wanna play a game SMOOTHLY and have fun with a system that I've already sunk a bajillion dollars into.
    Too much to ask? It is if you're talking to John Carmack.
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited January 2005
    one thing I have never understood is why people seem to complain about nearly every game. :bawling:

It seems as if people, particularly gamers, will never be satisfied. There's always something to complain about. It's too dark, it's too short, the atomic powered M-16 fires at 10 rounds per minute in real life, but it the game it fires at 15 rounds per minute, it crashes on my overclocked, souped-up, jimmy-rigged, POS... etc. :bawling:
    edited January 2005
    Definitely not I....
    There is NOTHING I can find to complain about for Half-Life 1 and 2, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell 1, Beyond Good and Evil, Halo, Command&Conquer Red Alert 2, System Shock 2, Quake3 (now that modern systems run it with no sweat), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Of course, it's the Q3 engine), Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Forsaken <--Old School!, geez, I can't think of anymore, but I'll get back with ya!
    edited January 2005
    Ghaleon4 wrote:
    Definitely not I....
    There is NOTHING I can find to complain about for Half-Life 1 and 2, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell 1, Beyond Good and Evil, Halo, Command&Conquer Red Alert 2, System Shock 2, Quake3 (now that modern systems run it with no sweat), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Of course, it's the Q3 engine), Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Forsaken <--Old School!, geez, I can't think of anymore, but I'll get back with ya!

granted, but I'd like to know what YOUR biggest complaints with games are?
  • edited January 2005
    Some of them are just dog crap.

Like doom 3.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    rc1974 wrote:
    one thing I have never understood is why people seem to complain about nearly every game. :bawling:

It seems as if people, particularly gamers, will never be satisfied. There's always something to complain about. It's too dark, it's too short, the atomic powered M-16 fires at 10 rounds per minute in real life, but it the game it fires at 15 rounds per minute, it crashes on my overclocked, souped-up, jimmy-rigged, POS... etc. :bawling:

well my #1 complaint with Doom 3 was that I spent $50, believing the hype, and I felt as if I wasted my money. It was a very big disappointment based on how great they made it sound.

On the other hand, Half Life 2 was very easily worth my money, it was a great game that you could just tell the developers loved and put their heart and souls into. We need more of that.
    edited January 2005
    ^Ben wrote:
    Some of them are just dog crap.

Like doom 3.

ok? Like how? I enjoyed Doom3, but what makes it like dog crap for YOU.
  • edited January 2005
    It was boring, had terrible level design, plot, graphics where a bit on the crap side, low poly characters, and other assorted faults.

Doom 3 felt like it was 1 bathroom and 3 offices connected with an endless array of corridors.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    ^Ben wrote:
    ...Doom 3 felt like it was 1 bathroom and 3 offices connected with an endless array of corridors.
    I used to work in a building like that... ;D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    If I got something like a rebate back I'd be happy really. I'd keep the game just for it's technical integrity. The gameplay itself is teh sux.
    I might play thru the single player again but I'd have to have much more time on my hands than I do atm.
    The multiplayer was teh total suc each and every time that I successfully logged into a server (which took up to a half hour mostly). That disturbed me so much that I quit trying after a few weeks cause I knew I could be enjoying ET instantly.

Doom3 is the best video/audio game I've played to date ...it deserves a place in my archives for it's enginuity in that respect.
    edited January 2005
    ^Ben wrote:
    It was boring, had terrible level design, plot, graphics where a bit on the crap side, low poly characters, and other assorted faults.

Doom 3 felt like it was 1 bathroom and 3 offices connected with an endless array of corridors.

you've proven my point, thanks. essentially all I hear is whine about this ain't perfect, whine about that ain't perfect, nitpick, nitpick, nitpick.

Boring? Terrible Level Design? Plot? Graphics? Low Poly? Assorted Faults :confused:

As for me, Doom 3 was not boring, I thought it had decent level design (oh crap, the levels look all the same, they're dark, etc.), plot (it's a game not a theatrical masterpiece or a novel or a broadway play), the characters looked good on my POS....

I mean really, what would be your peeerrfeeeect gaaammeee? :rolleyes:
    Would there ever be the perfect game? I don't think so.
    edited January 2005
    I think the only conclusion which could be drawn from this discussion is that different people like different games for different reasons. Kinda like women. :p

I loved playing Kings Quest VII with my daughter. I enjoyed the story line, liked the problem-solving aspects, and even got a kick out of the wince-inducing puns. Other people might find the game cartoonish and hopelessly juvenile.

I liked The 7th Guest a lot, too. Solving all those puzzles and exploring Stauf's creepy house really caught my imagination. I'm sure some would have found it a tedious waste of time.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in trying to prove anything one way or the other. If you like the game, fine. If not, that's fine too. :)
    edited January 2005
    profdlp,

everyone does have their preferences. agreed.

I happen to like games like Doom3, Serious Sam, etc where I don't have to think and can go around blowing stuff up and causing general mayhem. Any game I buy where I have to think, usually gets put on the shelf and forgotten or given away. So, FPS's with anything like too much finding hidden items, puzzles, team play, sniper missions, etc., are not my cup of tea. Games for me are a stress reducer, not a stress inducer.

back to my original point. One of the many other complaints I have heard about is "the game is too short, it only took me x number of hours to play." Do people actually sit in front of a computer or TV for that long?
    edited January 2005
    Not all at once, but I'm sure if you add it up, you spend many hours in front of the computer just like the rest of us.

You keep missing the point I tried to make: I paid $50 for both Doom 3 and Half Life 2. HL2 was easily worth the money. Doom 3 was not. That is not to say that Doom 3 is necessarily a "bad game" - it's quite good. The graphics are astounding, the lighting is very convincing and I actually got scared at certain points.

Worth $50? Absolutely not. It was short, repetitive, and ultimately disappointing.

HL2 was immersive, emotional, and constantly interesting. Also astounding graphics, also had moments of fright. Very much worth $50.

You ask "what do you want in a game?" - more games like HL2. Games that break the mold, not just make the mold look better.

If I had paid $30 for Doom3, I would have felt a lot better about it.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Now that I've played HL2 (almost finished) I'm more in agreement with prime. I think that since HL1 was released, lots of users have come to expect the genre of FPS games to reach that mark at least. I think Doom3 fell short on that when it comes to plot. Far short. Now the only truly enjoyable FPS games, to me, are ones with great plots. Which is why HL2 hit the mark, and exceeded it. I give the nod to id for making the graphics in Doom3 look great. But I no longer feel like the game was worth my 50 bucks, since I got about halfway through and got bored, waiting for the plot to begin.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Ja, I think that it's not so much that every gamer complains about every game, but that every game has someone who will complain about it.

For example, my gripe game is NWN. If you let me go on about all the disapointing things about it, that make me wish I hadden't spent $70 on it, I can go on fo awhile. However, there are a lot of people who loved it, and had no such disapointments.

It's all subjective, and there is nothing wrong with vocalising one's preference.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I can't believe I didn't chime in on this yet. I didn't buy it, but if I had, yes I would be pissed. The game is gorgeous, scary as hell, I've never had a game or movie even, make me feel so anxious. Great atmosphere, lighting is amazing, and the game does what it was designed to do very well, namely, it scares the **** out of you every 30 seconds. What is the measure of a great game though? For me, and I'm sure for a lot of other people, it's that it makes me want to play it. When I played HL2, I couldn't put it down. When I played D3, the first few days I was so awed by the graphics that I had to play. I Haven't played D3 in like 3 months. First of all I got tired of feeling anxious all the time, and second of all, I forgot about it, honestly. Every once in a while I'd see the icon on my desktop and say to myself I have to finish that, I want to see the ending. HL2 consumed me, I felt this drive to keep going, to not stop until the end. Were there times that I got a little bored in HL2? Absolutely, in Ravenholm, I said to myself not again, why does every game have to creep you out with zombies? I went on and it got fun for me again. IMO, HL2 has set a new standard for FPS games. We've all seen the standard corridor shooter that D3 really is. HL2 is alive, sure for the most part you are always led in a certain direction, you don't have the freedom to truly roam around and visit City 17, or go offroading on the highway, but this isn't a MMORPG, they can't sell you a game on 26 CDs and not many people are going to have 12TBs of hard drive space to install it either (I know 26CDs is not equal to 12TBs, just making fun.)

The bottom line is DOOM 3 could have been the greatest game of all time, all it lacked was a little imagination, from the lack of a story, to a lack of environments. It was too repetitive, too scary, too boring. iD was the originator of the 3D FPS, Valve took their concepts and ran with them. I think iD will come back strong eventually and blow us all away. This is good for games, it's like AMD vs. Intel, competition is good.
    edited January 2005
    granted, but I'd like to know what YOUR biggest complaints with games are?

My biggest complaints usually revolve around story/audio. Now, if the graphics are just plain BAD even if the gameplay is good, it's hard for me to overlook it. If the grahpics are halfway decent, but the gameplay is good, I'll love it 'till the end of time.
    you've proven my point, thanks. essentially all I hear is whine about this ain't perfect, whine about that ain't perfect, nitpick, nitpick, nitpick.

The games that I listed previously, in my mind, were PERFECT. Just absolute works of ART. I have absolutely NO complaints, and nothing but praise for those games...

Forgive me if this offends you (not my intent, but because we're reading text, you can't hear my tone of voice):
    I think that your perception that everyone complains about every little game is skewed. The reality is that everyone has a few games to complain about, not that everyone has something to complain about regarding every game out there. I.D. in the hype leading up to the game had pushed the "fact" that they'd hired a "professional screen-writer" to flesh out the story for them. Hmmm...I'll bet that guy won't be winning any Oscars in his movie career. Shame on them for even bringing that up, considering what absolute HORSE-CRAP the story was! People are upset, because that game was absolutely NOT what they said it would be. These are the same people who (this may or may not be true, but I've read it) are going to allow a movie to be based on Doom, and it won't even have anything to do with Mars. If it doesn't have Mars, then it ain't Doom! That'd be like making a movie about the Titanic that takes place in the desert. It ain't the Titanic. I saw no direction, or focus beyond the graphics. Even the sound was absolute ****e. They claim that Trent Reznor had to leave the project because of delays, and professional conflicts in schedule. I'm personally convinced that he got tired of their crap. Reason being that in the end product, there was NO sign of Trent whatsoever, regardless of the fact that he had already done a LOT of work for the game before he left the project. (If they'd left on good terms, don't you imagine they would have at least salvaged SOME of what he'd produced?)

I hope I've made my point that I'm not just saying "Oh, Doom3 sucked" and leaving it at that. I'm backing it up with what I feel to be pretty good reasons. IT WAS CRAP in my opinion, compared to the production value/story that is found in many superior games coming from lesser known camps. I feel that it was not on par with the standard of quality that can be found elsewhere...they simply have fallen behind today's standards of game quality.

I know how it feels to have to hear people bash something that you feel very strongly about. However, as I continue to live on this planet, I've had to simply accept that perception is a very strange, and powerful thing. I can believe with my whole heart that for whatever reason you enjoy this game, it is entirely 100% valid, simply because you love it. That's all that matters.
    edited January 2005
    :clap:

well said
    edited January 2005
    Not all at once, but I'm sure if you add it up, you spend many hours in front of the computer just like the rest of us.

You keep missing the point I tried to make: I paid $50 for both Doom 3 and Half Life 2. HL2 was easily worth the money. Doom 3 was not. That is not to say that Doom 3 is necessarily a "bad game" - it's quite good. The graphics are astounding, the lighting is very convincing and I actually got scared at certain points.

Worth $50? Absolutely not. It was short, repetitive, and ultimately disappointing.

HL2 was immersive, emotional, and constantly interesting. Also astounding graphics, also had moments of fright. Very much worth $50.

You ask "what do you want in a game?" - more games like HL2. Games that break the mold, not just make the mold look better.

If I had paid $30 for Doom3, I would have felt a lot better about it.

:scratch: Good arguments, however you've still proven my point... at least to myself that is. I played Doom3 all of the way through, but HL2 I think the last time I played it was around Thanksgiving, because I got to a point in the game where I'd believed I was going to have to deal with team members... this sucks to me. Another thing, HL2 should get rid of that damned Steam crap.

As for other games I have bought recently and have not played through.

1. Halo- played about two levels.
    2. Tron 2.0- might play this later.
    3. Chrome- Sniper missions and too much "beat the clock, find hidden weapons."
    4. Call Of Duty- had a glitch in the game, and re-install would not work.
    5. Deus Ex 2- Too much thinking, ran slow.
    6. SWKOTR- too much thinking
    7. XIII- might play this later

games I have played all the way through.

1. Far Cry
    2. Doom 3
    3. Max Payne 2
    4. NOLF2

Also, games should be extremly easy to play on the easy levels. They used to be that way, but not anymore.

BTW- no game is really worth $50.
    edited January 2005
    Ghaleon4 wrote:
    I hope I've made my point that I'm not just saying "Oh, Doom3 sucked" and leaving it at that. I'm backing it up with what I feel to be pretty good reasons. IT WAS CRAP in my opinion, compared to the production value/story that is found in many superior games coming from lesser known camps. I feel that it was not on par with the standard of quality that can be found elsewhere...they simply have fallen behind today's standards of game quality.

I know how it feels to have to hear people bash something that you feel very strongly about. However, as I continue to live on this planet, I've had to simply accept that perception is a very strange, and powerful thing. I can believe with my whole heart that for whatever reason you enjoy this game, it is entirely 100% valid, simply because you love it. That's all that matters.

From what I see, the biggest failure of Doom3 is that it did not live up to the hype. I can remember this same hype back when SW-EP1 was in the theaters and the die-hard SW fanatics had a fit. Other hyped up games... Unreal 2 comes to mind, Daikatana as well.

Hype is the biggest problem, not the game. I guess it's sort of like watching a Burger King commercial and then getting the real thing, the burger shown is appetizing and visually appealing. The real burger is greasy, squashed, and unappetizing.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited January 2005
    rc1974:

Each to his own.

You had a glitch in Call Of Duty? That's a shame, cos that, imo, is probably the best WW2 game ever. I've noticed it won't reinstall easily myself. You have to delete all entries, including registry entries, for a clean install.

And then patch it to V1.5.

I thoroughly enjoyed Halo, Far Cry, Max Payne 2, but got kinda bored with NOLF 2, got about half way through and uninstalled it. May give it another go. It was all that hiding bodies that poxed me off.

XIII I'ved played through a few levels, it's, uh - different :D

I must be one of the few who never liked Deux Ex 1 and after reading all the bad reviews about Deux Ex 2, I thought I'd give it a miss.

As for Doom 3, I'll stand by my original comments at the beginning of this thread and say that, imo, it's repetitive, but quite good fun, in an fps shoot-em-up kinda way. I enjoyed it, but after all the hype I just thought 'Is That It?' imo, Half Life One knocks spots off it.

And again, in my opinion, Half Life 2 is possibly the best game ever released. The Team thing is no big deal, they even get out ya way when you want to walk through them, you don't get that in many games. They even apologise for getting in your way, lol.

Ditch your cynicism and enjoy :)
    edited January 2005
    rc1974 wrote:
    ...Hype is the biggest problem, not the game...
    I haven't had a chance to play either game (yet), but I think that may well be the key point here. I remember in the weeks leading up to the release of Doom3 you could hardly find a place on the Internet where it wasn't being talked up. There has probably never been a game made that could live up to all that hype.

HL2 was equally hyped, but due to it's frequent delays there was also a sort of skepticism about it. When it finally did come out it was more of a pleasant surprise, and didn't give you that "Day-After-Christmas" feeling afterwards.
  • edited January 2005
    I like to be entertained when I play a game, not bored, doom 3 was just boring. I myself didn't really pay much attention to the hype for doom 3 so I went in with a "clean slate" And I'm glad I did because if I was a fan I would be severly dissapointed.

Now half life 2, I pretty much hyped that game for myself to kingdom come formyself and on the hour of release I was having doubts that it could really live up to my own personal expectation, but boy oh boy it did.

KF you still using a warez version of HL2? Or did you buy it like I recall you mentioning you were.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I have to admit, I beat it once, then started over again and stopped an hour into it. Once you beat it, the shock value is gone. I'll buy it when it gets down to $20, I don't pay $50 for much of anything.
  • edited January 2005
    :thumbsup:

Because when you support valve you give them more recourses to put developers into SDK's and support for them, so in turn you help me get my MOD done and something able to put on a CV. And then in turn you get more quality MOD's out which gives you better bang for your buck.

I'm on a mailing list that has about 4 developers from valve active and a guy from softimage(XSI) all helping people out :)

I lub valve.