Doom 3 Satisfaction

13»

Comments

• rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited January 2005
    I liked COD and it is a good game. I have a different computer setup now and I may re-install it and play it.

I agree, Doom3 was repetitive, but I like games where I can shoot things and blow up things and Doom3 provided that.

HL2 is the only game I have installed right now, other than Civ3, so I may play it again as well.

Best game ever in my opinion... yours may differ. The original Civilization game from the early 90's. This was one of the few games that had me on my computer playing it for hours. Good game.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited January 2005
    I just finished Half-Life 2 last night...and......I...just don't know what to say.
    Holy cow, it was incredible. The stryders were just horrifying to behold as they laid waste to your little group of human resistance in what felt like the ultimate battle between good, and evil...life, and death. Haven't felt like that while playing a video game in a LONG LONG time. Just...intense. I can tell you I've NEVER played a game where you run into a building to find cover from the 3-story tower of walking death, only to have the entire building get blown apart around you (...and sometimes on TOP of you). Missiles flying EVERWHERE, cars being tossed across the battlefield, trees getting knocked down, heat beams absolutely VAPORIZING any living thing within line-of-site to these monstrosities...the bodies of dead resistance fighters hanging like sick trophies limp on the spikes that cover the legs of the walkers...just...disturbing, and no place to hide (for long).

And then there's...Doom 3. I think the best part in that game is where you're walking down some corridor and a monster jumps out at you...hmmm.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    So incredible you posted about it twice? ;D just kidding
    edited January 2005
    YUP! lol...
    Actually, it took so long for my first post to "take hold", that I had time to read over it, and find a typo...
    Can you find the difference?

:D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    That was a great description of HL2 - I agree with you: The last time I felt that "immersed" in a game was back in the 80's with a game called Alternate Reality. It's a rare but incredible feeling.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2005
    thats the great thing about many RPGs, the story hooks you in and doesn't let you go. its very difficult to write a story for an FPS that is convincing and enthralling but at the same time facilitates lots of rampant violence. the guys at Valve did an excellent job, the guys at ID not so much (they should stick to the multiplayer only stuff like Quake, Doom is an excellent engine to build upon).

i had a big complaint with both of the above mentioned games: they're TOO FRICKING EASY. Halflife had one difficult part - the final turret sequence - and that was more of a tricky puzzle than anything.

let me put it this way. every racing game has races at the end that take you many MANY tries to beat, and every sports game has a difficulty setting where it takes a LONG time to get better than the computer. it used to be, back in the day, that FPS were hard. the first doom is a great example, that game took some skill on the higher settings. but look at the games coming out now! doom3 took me all of 10 hours to complete, halflife about the same. wheres the fun in a game that i can complete that fast, and WHY WOULD I WANT TO PAY FOR IT. fortunately, HL2 has the multiplayer aspect - CS:Source is phenomenal and DOD:Source should be even better. these developers need to take a hint from the FarCry guys. that game was INTENSE on realistic, and i really enjoyed the challenge

/end rant
  • edited January 2005
    You can get skill modifiers which redo the skill.

On hard it should be hard.

But on normal there needs to be a fine balance between feeling like your going to die alot, and dieing alot.

When you get killed ever and over angain I start to get frustrated and lose immersion in the game itself.
    edited January 2005
    I'll admit, that there were a few places in HL2 where it was just dang HARD...(mostly the turret placement puzzles). But most of the time, I found myself getting killed because I was too distracted by the pretty graphics...(Deer in the headlights type stuff).
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited January 2005
    ^Ben wrote:
    When you get killed ever and over angain I start to get frustrated and lose immersion in the game itself.

Me too.

I do like a challenge, but when you've tried the same one bit about 22 times it gets a bit of a pain.

Easy should mean easy, ultra hard should mean severely challenging.

It's up to the programmers to get it right, to me, there does seem less of a difference between difficulty levels in more recent games than there was in games of 'old'.

Far Cry's 'Walk round the Island' was even hard, imo :D But of course that could just be me being a bit crap...
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    doom 3 is great but there are far greater games.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    isiea268 wrote:
    doom 3 is great but there are far greater games.
    ...and I thought this thread was as dead as the doom3 game I still have sitting in the drawer! :necro:
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    csimon wrote:
    ...and I thought this thread was as dead as the doom3 game I still have sitting in the drawer! :necro:

it would be thing is i have a knack for being a thread killer, i just just always have the last say...its almost as addictive as overclocking. *sigh*

on top of that i'm a fairly new member both to team 93 and short-media been here only for a couple months. its a great place here on the web. just lookin' around just thought i'd add my 2 cents to this post :P

lol callin' me a relic? doom3 is NOT a relic :P lol j/k
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    isiea268 wrote:
    it would be thing is i have a knack for being a thread killer, i just just always have the last say...its almost as addictive as overclocking. *sigh*

on top of that i'm a fairly new member both to team 93 and short-media been here only for a couple months. its a great place here on the web. just lookin' around just thought i'd add my 2 cents to this post :P

lol callin' me a relic? doom3 is NOT a relic :P lol j/k
    That's ok ...you fold so you can't be all bad! :thumbsup:

I like the OpenGL engines that these games produce ...especially the quake engine.