help windows\system32\config\system missing

Comments

• edited June 2006
    is it possible that I ont have a system32 file in my windows file?
  • edited June 2006
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and was directed here after googling my problem.

I am getting the error->

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \Windows\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I've read the Kelly's fix-tutorial as well as the Microsoft's tutorial. However, a problem occurred when attempting to do their procedure. When I get to the recovery console, and type "1" for 'which windows installation would you like to log onto,' I get a blue screen which says I have a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA." The error code is 'STOP:0x00000050 (0xC3E40000, 0x00000001, 0x80540056, 0x00000000).'

I've read most of the thread and most people say the cause of this is a screw-up in the RAM.

My questions are:
    1. How would I fix my computer without losing my data?
    2. Should I try using different RAM or putting the RAM into different slots to see if anything changes?
    3. I also have seen people recommend the Memtest program, so I assume i should run it also?
  • edited June 2006
    I have the same problem on windows 2000 . I think that`s maybe because of incompatibility of ide drivers and win2000 or acpi functions, because i get this error after everty time when i accidentaly turn off my pc using power off button (however in control panel-power management options there is - when i press power button on computer, then shut down) or even shutting down clicking on shut down not pressing button, but it simply shuts down TOO FAST and maybe can't save registry settings or make system to crash in some similar way? I installed windows 2000 because of better performance for my pc then it is on winxp and this is a only but really big problem for me, cause i have to make repair process (with win2000 boot disk copying system file from windows\repair folder to system32) every time when i turn off my pc wrong. What could you recommend to do? ( i know it`s not because of ram- it worked perfectly on winxp and similar problem (missing registry system) on winxp i have seen only when there is some real electro-crash ( lost electricity because of storms).
    ps.sorry for my bad English
  • edited June 2006
    Tex wrote:
    No this isnt win98 thank god.

Boot from the cd. Do NOT do a repair using recovery console. proceed like you were doing a fresh install but BEFORE you select which disk to install to it will look for previous installs and ask if you want to repair it. DO NOT INSTALL A NEW COPY! Hit "r" to repair bt only when it shows you the previous install disk/directory not at the revovery console prompt!

If it does not see the old install post back as the filesystem is just corrupt and it can't read the boot.ini and I'll walk you through that repair. It isnt hard. And no she isnt going to lose any files as long as the disk is operating properly!

I've done this maybe... A hundred times.

Tex

ok heres the problem i have the problem, i tried to do wut u told me, but it tells me my filesystem is corrupt.... u said you could walk me through this, well i need a lil help, thank you!!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    1. How would I fix my computer without losing my data?
    2. Should I try using different RAM or putting the RAM into different slots to see if anything changes?
    3. I also have seen people recommend the Memtest program, so I assume i should run it also?

Nothing you do (short of formatting your hard-drive which you shouldn't be doing anyway) will cause you to lose data. Yes, try the RAM in the different slots first and if you have any RAM that would actually work in that PC then you can try that. After you've tried those two options you can try Memtest (or try if first if you want) which will test your RAM for errors (needs to be run for quite a few hours to be thorough).
    I'm a newbie to forum and only moderately computer savvy.

Lot's of people getting \system32\config\system missing OR system corrupt.

What to do?

I've seen several variations of doing repair installs, Using Recovery Console, etc., on this forum and elsewhere ........

:wave: BUT if your primary objective is to save your data (If it's MORE important to you then immediately recovering windows,

AND you get transplant you're non-bootable HD into another computer,
    THEN wouldn't it make more sense to do that and then backup your files on another computer 1st BEFORE tring to recover Windows where there ?MIGHT? be a risk of losing data IF\OR you do recover windows?:respect:

Unless you do something really stupid then your data will be fine and copying everything to another drive would add a long time onto the whole fixing process doing something unncessary. The only time you'd need to do this is if you've completely wrecked your Windows install or the drive is dying.
    sounds like a lot of people are encountering the same problem or something similar. my windows installation all together is missing the system32 folder. for the past couple days my computer would just go through the bios, get to the grub to choose windows or linux. chose windows screen turns black, monitor power light turns orange, then goes back to green and then back at the bios again. this happens over and over again. also from what ive read so far theres no possible way for me to recover the system32 folder unless i have the xp cd which is what i dont have. but i might as well ask is there some other way to fix this problem. can i take the system32 folder from my other computer, copy it, and then drop it right in to the windows directory of my other windows installation?

Try doing the method outlined in the initial post. If that doesn't work then use the Windows CD to do a recovery install (you get to this by telling it to install Windows to the partition you know it's already on, it should then complain that there is already a copy of Windows there and that you can do a recovery instead then select that option). Recovery install will get rid of Grub though so you'll need to re-install Grub afterwards.
    Tex,

I'm in big trouble and saw your post and registered. I tried doing the above and everything was working OK till the point where XP Pro (infamous hack FCKGW) with last update about a year ago but still SP1 asked me to F8 to agree to licenseing but I couldn't input F8 - computer didn't take keyboard command but other keys seem to work.

Is Bill up to something?

I'm very sorry that I've been running a hacked copy with no problems for about 2 years and am wanting to upgrade to legitimate MS OS.

So, I'm not AS worried about being able to recover windows right now as I am NOT losing any data on my HD - This is my biggest fear as I wasn't backed up - dah. Won't run without being backed up anymore.

Any help is very greatly appreciated
    Crashed & Burned

Are you using a USB Keyboard? If so get your hands on a PS/2 keyboard if you can and use that instead. If you are using a PS/2 keyboard make sure USB Legacy support is turned off in the BIOS.
    rcdif wrote:
    Ok How do I do that when I boot off the cd and select the set up option it takes me to the blue screen

Do the same as I recommended for StandardsDT (the recovery/repair install bit).
    BMX900080 wrote:
    ok heres the problem i have the problem, i tried to do wut u told me, but it tells me my filesystem is corrupt.... u said you could walk me through this, well i need a lil help, thank you!!

When you get to setup, rather than pressing R for the recovery console carry on as normal. It should give you a list of drives and partitions on your PC. Do they show up properly (the right amount and does it say NTFS by them?).
    nezinu5 wrote:
    I have the same problem on windows 2000 . I think that`s maybe because of incompatibility of ide drivers and win2000 or acpi functions, because i get this error after everty time when i accidentaly turn off my pc using power off button (however in control panel-power management options there is - when i press power button on computer, then shut down) or even shutting down clicking on shut down not pressing button, but it simply shuts down TOO FAST and maybe can't save registry settings or make system to crash in some similar way? I installed windows 2000 because of better performance for my pc then it is on winxp and this is a only but really big problem for me, cause i have to make repair process (with win2000 boot disk copying system file from windows\repair folder to system32) every time when i turn off my pc wrong. What could you recommend to do? ( i know it`s not because of ram- it worked perfectly on winxp and similar problem (missing registry system) on winxp i have seen only when there is some real electro-crash ( lost electricity because of storms).

This was actually a bug in Windows 98 I believe but I wasn't aware of it in Windows 2000. Have you managed to get the machine back up yet via the routine outlined in the first post?
  • edited June 2006
    uhhh they came up, but anyway... i just re-installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2... well anyway... i think she had a virus that caused this problem... because when her computer was working, i would click the "start" button or right-click on something & it would freeze immediatly, then i put an anti-virus on it, restarted the computer & this error came up saying system missing or w.e but anyway... i re-installed Windows XP Pro SP2, now its cool, but when it starts up it still comes up with this error saying "Hard drive to imminite failure", but this could be incorrect... who knows... anyway right now its working fast, virus-free, and it runs... no problems except the error when it starts up.... o well ill keep yall updated :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Hard drive imminent failure is a SMART warning; the hard drive's internal diagnostic tool. You hard drive will die within the next 90 days.
    edited June 2006
    What Thrax said, thats also probably why it was acting funky before. You need to back up everything on that drive to somewhere else and buy a new one.
  • edited June 2006
    wait a sec... i HAVE to get a new hard drive, whats wrong with it? i mean how did this happen? her computer is running great now... whats wrong? i think this error is fake.... the hard drive seems fine, i did 3 check disks, it says all layers/sectors are fine.... so maybe this error is fake? please some enlighten me...
  • edited June 2006
    nezinu5 wrote:
    Enverex wrote:
    This was actually a bug in Windows 98 I believe but I wasn't aware of it in Windows 2000. Have you managed to get the machine back up yet via the routine outlined in the first post?

Enverex, i know how to get machine back. Simply restoring registry files from repair folders. Even chkdsk /f didn't help, but i don't understand WHY it does so that every 5-6 times when i shutdown my pc with start-shutdown or with button (doesn't matter). After restart my registry becomes corrupted again. Last time i got error:

Stop: 0xc0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

What could be wrong with my Windows 2000 or pc? I know only that pc`s shutdown does it but how to fix it?
    edited June 2006
    Have you run anything like memtest to check your RAM or one of the manufacturers HD testing programs to make sure you haven't got dying/faulty hardware?
  • edited June 2006
    Yes, i tested memory and other hardware, hdd is also new 250 GB WD. I said already that all is fine on windows xp, problems only with win2k. I have all newest patches and right drivers.
  • edited June 2006
    Disk error messages are never fake.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    If this is a S.M.A.R.T. error you need to back up your data, then run the test from the HD manufacturer as soon as possible.

If this is some sort of lousy pop-up window telling you to "click here" for more info, it is likely that you have a spyware infestation.

Describe the error message in detail. When do you see it? What exactly does it say?
  • edited July 2006
    Exact message:

1720- SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (Failing Attr: 05)

Then it says "Ignore" in a blue box and F1, it still starts up if i press F1 tho, and everything is running correctly in Windows XP Pro (SP2)... but i dunno..

DO I HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE???? I mean its working correctly, whats wrong????

-Sam
  • edited July 2006
    I dont even know wut HD i have??? aghhh.....

-Sam
    edited July 2006
    Because it is ABOUT TO DIE. Think of it like being told you have a brain tumor that is growing. Sure, you feel fine now but soon there will be side effects and then poof, you're dead. So, if you want the drive to jusr die and lose everything on it, sure, ignore it.
  • edited July 2006
    GaryP wrote:
    P.P.S I have noticed that when im in the recovery console my command differs from the ones shown on the screenshots found here ---> http://www.toughadmin.com/article.php?article=System

Instead of C:\WINDOWS I only get C:\>

This probably just highlights how windows has completely failed on my system.

This is the prob I'm running into also. When I try to change to the Windows directory it tells me "Access is denied", and subsequently I'm unable to change to the system32/config directories. Any way around this? At present it's not a gigantic issue, as I've set the drive as a slave and have access to most everything I need/want... but I'd still like to get the thing repaired if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Stump
    edited July 2006
    Old Stump wrote:
    ...When I try to change to the Windows directory it tells me "Access is denied"...
    See if this helps. :)
  • edited July 2006
    My bad, I wasn't specific enough. I'm getting this prob in the recovery console. So that link didn't cure me, but thx tho! =)
    edited July 2006
    Old Stump wrote:
    ...I'm getting this prob in the recovery console...
    It may take a little reading to figure out just how to use it, but see if using the Attrib command can get you access to the directory. :)
  • edited July 2006
    Hello, hello, hello! Yet another newbie to the forum who is getting the dreaded system32 message.

I read this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm but I didn't understand it.
    :confused:

I have an eMachine T3256 that has worked fine for well over a year until I did an improper shutdown 2 days ago.

When I turn it on, I get this:
    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

The only disc I have is labeled "emachines Restore DVD". I put in the DVD drive and get this:
    System Restore Menu/Windows XP
    ===============
    1.Restore Windows XP
    2.Boot to command prompt from CD-Rom

Please select 1 or 2:

If I select 1, I get a WARNING message saying that all files on my hard disk will be lost. Well, I don't want that, so I select 2 and it gives me this:

A:\>

I'm guessing it wants me to tell it what to do, but I have no idea. The manual is no help since it only tells me how to do a complete restore which I don't want to do since I'm a dolt who does not have her files backed up.

Any help at all will be very much appreciated!
    DH
  • edited July 2006
    :wow2: Hi all,
    I unfortuantly have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. I have read through all 9 pages of advice. I have tried them all. But still nothing worked. It turns out that I do not have a tmp folder with the file in it. I don't even have a folder on my puter with it in it. I would really appreciate anyone who can help me get this up and running without losing my data, I too have no backed up my puter, and need alot that is on it. Thank you all so much, this forum has been very very helpful.
    Sincerly,
    Sxyladybug

http://www.cafepress.com/sxyladybugs
  • edited July 2006
    this is my problem i start everything and i get the windows error so i out the cd in and start computer again so the winXP Pro starts so i want to install cause i dont have a automated something disk so it loads everthing and when it says to press enter to install window it goes to another screen and it says that there is no disk drive installed but there is one cause when i go to the PhoenixBIOS setup utility it show it but i dont understand what is wrong with this and before i did anything without the cd it would at lest tell me that windows\system32\config\system missing now it doesnt even tell me that it tells me that no operating system so please help me :bawling: please
  • edited July 2006
    it tell me the same thing about not having a hard drive even tough i insert another hard drive in the computer
  • edited July 2006
    Hi!

I had the problem with the missing system file.

I did what the Microsoft KB said but now I have problems with the password.

When windows starts I get an error of passwords dont match.

When I try to use the recovery console it tells me that the admin password is not correct although I have never changed it from blank as it was from the last install of windows.

Is there any way around that??

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Minas

PS windows XP Home - Toshiba laptop
  • Buckets_PCBuckets_PC Charlotte, NC USA
    edited July 2006
    geezz ... sounds to me like a windows XP bug in an update(s) if so many people have had this problem? I'm keeping my Boot drive backed up weekly to be safe. Dude if SMART is saying drive is going bad back it up NOW!!!! If it's less than a yr. old you prolly can get a replacement one for free from the Manuf.
    I had a Maxtor 60g die on me and I lost 5yrs. of stuff that never can be replaced...
    Mark
  • edited July 2006
    takukas wrote:
    Hi!

I had the problem with the missing system file.

I did what the Microsoft KB said but now I have problems with the password.

When windows starts I get an error of passwords dont match.

When I try to use the recovery console it tells me that the admin password is not correct although I have never changed it from blank as it was from the last install of windows.

Is there any way around that??

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Minas

PS windows XP Home - Toshiba laptop

I managed to solve the problem. I used an XP password finder. It had the possibility to reset the passwords. This didnt help.

It did have another tool to make the recovery console not to ask for any password. This helped get back into the recovery console and let me reinstate all the files I changed.

Strangelly enough when I copied the old system file on next boot I had no problems!!! It started as before although I used the "corrupted" file!!!

Windows doesnt know what it needs I think!!

Minas
  • edited August 2006
    Hello. I am having the same problem as most on this thread. Cannot find the file Config/System
    I boot from the Windows XP cd and it gets to the point where it is recommended that I do not start installing a new copy of windows (because it should detect the old). It does not detect it. I got a hold of a tech guy (friend of a friend) and he said it would be ok to select the drive. I did so and it did not start over-writing my old windows, it gave me the option to format or to do nothing... Now obviously I don't want to format the partition, but I got no other options handed to me. It never detected my old drive to try and fix it.

Any ideas or suggestions from this point on?

EDIT: Another question I have is if using the Recovery Console will damage/delete files or just programs. Even if I have to install all my programs again that would be acceptable as opposed to losing my files. Some people on here have suggested using the Rec. Console, but I want to make sure it's safe.
    EDIT#2: Well, I tried to run the Recovery Console without waiting for advice, but it didn't matter. The Console barely starts and tells me to select the Windows drive to log onto. This is not written in the Recovery Console Guide that keeps being linked in this thread. I can only type one character and nothing seems to have any effect at all (why should it? I don't ge to type any command prompts.) Any tips for running the Recovery Console?

EDIT#3: Ok, I got the Recovery Console to work effectively (according to the Corrupt Hive link). Now a brand new error comes up stating: NTLDR is missing. I did look up how to fix this before posting here. It involved creating a boot disk with a particular ISO (in my case a boot cd because I don't have a floppy drive (but I pray this isn't the problem)). Followed those instructions and it simply didn't care that I had put in a boot disk... didn't bother reading it at all. I even changed the cd drive to the primary boot location, but still nothing. Any ideas?
  • edited August 2006
    Tex wrote:
    If it ever asks you to format or create a partition DON'T DO IT ! It shouldn't ask you on a repair install. So if you see that in any way we have deeper problems. BAIL OUT. Do not proceed.
    Tex

I'm running into the same issue as the others, when I boot off the CD and try and install, I get a message stating something like C drive is unformatted, damaged.......Setup needs to format this drive.
    Any suggestions?

I've bailed out, but what now?
    Help!